• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I love achievement hunting, but the main reason I enjoy it is getting that sweet platinum trophy. I enjoy achievement hunting on steam and xbl too, but I noticed I slowly stopped caring about getting them in those games and really only care to do it on PSN. The platinum trophy feels so much more rewarding than just maxing out the point value on a game.

Anyway what are your thoughts? Anyone else like me.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I do find the platinum very satisfying. I prefer that over other percentage or score based achievements. I still usually try to complete them (even they're just in-game challenges with no proper trophy system) but there is a lot of appeal in getting a platinum trophy. It makes my brain happy. I really liked seeing when I got my 10th and 20th platinums too.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Yup. 100%. I still like getting them on Xbox but they just don't feel as rewarding. The tier system for trophies on PlayStation is great and is something I wish Xbox and Steam would consider.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
Nah I still prefer achievements. Once you get a decently high PS4 trophy level it takes forever to keep leveling it up. With Xbox I always have a milestone close. Like now I'm around 115k and I'll be happy when I hit 125k.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yes, I'm more of a trophy person because of the platinum. Achievements I've stopped caring for a few years now.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Considering not all games get Platinum trophies and it doesn't even mean you have the full completion (due to DLC), nah.

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Oct 25, 2017
I like achievements/trophies as an optional layer of content, a set of extra goals I can choose to pursue.

But I'm never really going for completion, so platinum or not doesn't matter for me.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
Platinum trophies are nice and feel cool to see pop up (Though rare for me), but I think I like achievements more, the flash and flair behind them appeal to me more.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
Guilty. I have 128 platinum trophies, but I was never bothered to do 1000/1000 of achievements on Xbox.

I also don't do 100% of trophies in games that doesn't have platinum trophy.

Last edited:

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, especially when some games are full of dlc and you can't get 100% without buying those.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Nah I still prefer achievements. Once you get a decently high PS4 trophy level it takes forever to keep leveling it up. With Xbox I always have a milestone close. Like now I'm around 115k and I'll be happy when I hit 125k.

? No it doesnt, after a certain point it's always the same amount of "points" needed to get to the next level, i think around level 20 it starts being the same amount

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I like the overall score of Gamerscore over percentage and levels. Im not much of a completionist though. I also like the competition every month on who has earned the most gamerscore which isnt really something you can do with trophies because you cant quantify them. Some people on my friends list seem to get ridiculous amount of gamerscore monthly, so I just try to aim for top 5 lol

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Nope

Just getting them and racking up on the total number is enough to satisfy me whether it's on PSN or Steam

Wish Nintnedo had a system like it though

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I think it might be because I started on 360, but I prefer Achievements. Trophies & Steam achievements don't do anything for me.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
100% prefer trophies even though I don't care for either trophies or achievements.

How so? I don't know, when trophies come up it is satisfying. And I eventually check the golds and silvers and compare with a couple of friends. But I don't hunt achievements/trophies. But indeed, there is some extra "crack" in trophies and the Platinum Trophy might be part of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Trophies are better simply because developers can't fill their games with weird point value achievements. For example, I tried the Outer Wilds, and it has a handful of 36 point achievements. Who does that?

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having used both I do prefer the platinum. I think that when you combine them with the PS4 they create awesome moments. This is one of my favorite plat pics this gen...

tPMh1vh.jpg

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely. Something about that platinum feels satisfying. It's like something additional to the 100% than say just 1000/1000. Also you get that platinum trophy image next to your 100%, even if DLC comes and lowers the 100%, you keep that platinum image.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I like achievments better due to the sound, but I would reeaalllly like a 100% achievement, similar to plats.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I like a platinum trophy yeah. You can play 50 games and get thousands of points that makes it look like you're killing it, but how many platinums do you get?

Lemon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason why I buy 3rd party games on PS even though I'd prefer Switch portability

Meliodas

Apr 7, 2019
Definitely yes. It's not even about how many platinum trophies I get but the satisfaction of fulfilling a time-consuming/finger-breaking game plat , it just feels totally different than the futile achievement system.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I hate the idea of the Platinum or 100% in general. I like achievements for book keeping or for fun ideas for things to try.

Having a Platinum adds to the expectation that a full list must always be gettable which means you get backlash for things like multiplayer trophies even though they could be fun as well.

OP
OP
Angst

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely yes. It's not even about how many platinum trophies I get but the satisfaction of fulfilling a time-consuming/finger-breaking game plat , it just feels totally different than the futile achievement system.
Yeah it's like, imagine getting 99 percent of the achievements in an Xbox game, but the last one is a PITA. For a platinum ID go for it, but for random points? Nah

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
  • The extra Platinum trophy is icing on a cake that I find delicious but don't need but will gladly take.
  • Getting bonus rewards for getting a Platinum Trophy is awesome, definitely cycle through them.
  • I like the idea of Bronze/Silver/Gold over a number. Feels like I am earning something.
  • The Trophy sound is good news.

Ivan2Nguyen

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to come off as dismissive of this, but they are both trophies. Xbox icon for an achievement is a trophy. PlayStation ones are as well. Seeing this made me lose interest in both for the most part. Now that I play mostly PlayStation I care more about the PlayStation ones.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah the rare achievements are cool.

Curious to see how they'll evolve achievements heading into Scarlett.
I wonder if they'll try more stuff with Mixer (or Twitch, hopefully) to drive engagement better, similar to what they tried with Forza Horizon 4's Mixer integration. I can also imagine them designing more achievements around games that'll be premiering on Game Pass, though I can't imagine them being separated from the games in that sense.

You can see how rare trophies are on PS4. Does Xbox do that? I don't own Xbox so I don't actually know. I really like seeing my rarest trophies when I check.
Yeah, it shows which percentage of players have unlocked certain achievements. What I'm referring to is that you get a special notification when you get a "rare" achievement on Xbox One, so you know it's something that not too many people (relatively speaking, of course) managed to do. It's not tied to difficulty, and it's a nice little touch when you're playing a game and happen to stumble upon one, as it's sort of an acknowledgement that you're not playing the game in the way that the overwhelming majority of people do.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Proud owner of 0 platinum trophies :p

I came close once.. Missed one thing on Child of Light.

I like the thing popping up as much as the next guy but I cant say I care about the rarity of the achievement.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I hate the idea of the Platinum or 100% in general. I like achievements for book keeping or for fun ideas for things to try.

Having a Platinum adds to the expectation that a full list must always be gettable which means you get backlash for things like multiplayer trophies even though they could be fun as well.
Yeah this. I like achievements as a concept because its like "oh ive played this game and these are all my milestones".
An underrated aspect of xbox achievements is all the stats they come with.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, way better. I get a few messages a month from randoms saying shit like "damn 27 platinum, do you have a life"

I just roll my eyes and say nah, i don't have a fucking life.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
I enjoy the PSN trophy system more but not for the platinums. I enjoy the level system, the consistent points for bronze, silver and gold, the way they divided DLC / Patch trophies into subsets and I can see my completion percentage for them individually or as a whole.