• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I can afford them, I just rarely do buy a $60 game at launch without a significant benefit. The last game I bought for $60 was Samurai Shodown because buying it within the first week of its launch would get you the entirety of its S1 DLC characters for free.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I struggle more to justify it. A good 80% of the games I want I know will drop heavily in price as long as I wait it out a few months, which I'm more than happy to do.

May 18, 2018
You are under no obligation to buy games at launch......I rarely do.....and usually end up with a fully patched cheaper game,lol.
Bingo. Fear of missing out is the only thing that gets a lot of people to buy full priced games immediately. I'll well past that point in my life where I need to spend money to be in the conversation. I want the new Fire Emblem game bad but I'll get it whenever. I already have games I haven't played. Why do I need to spend $60 on a game I won't play until it's on sale or something lol.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
An example:

Buy DMC5 or wait roughly 5months and play at no additional? the answer is simple.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Still ridiculously pleased I was able to use the cheap Gamepass Ultimate deal to get GP Ultimate to 2022.

For Other games, you can buy them a couple of months after release to get them for cheap.
I just picked up Spider-Man PS4 for $20

Jul 26, 2018
It only buy games when they're at 10 or below, the only exception was Spiderman for 20 bucks. This happens only when there are sales, especially the big ones like Week of Play, Black Friday, and maybe Christmas. I might buy more than one at a time since big sales are kinda sparse throughout the year. You only get the vanilla edition, without DLC and stuff, but that's okay since I don't really have that much time to sink in anyway. Also, no PSN. Sometimes I wish I had friends with games to share, but my backlog is huge that I don't feel limited by having to be cheap with gaming these days.

I'm hoping that P5 will be 10 bucks in Black Friday now that there will be a new release and the game is now part of the Platinum thing (I feel like these get better discounts).

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
I always wait for sales. Unless it's a crazy good title like the last of us, or something you know will be awesome, then I will use my Best Buy card and just make a couple payments.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Practically everyone who games in a developing country (particularly ones that don't use Euro) says hi.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I spend about £60 a month on games.
I don't know if that's a lot though I don't really think about it just buy what I want

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I generally buy whatever I want nowadays but . I was on a very tight budget for years and basically could not buy full price games - but today, with a dog and no kids, I just get what I want. Still don't buy a ton of new $60 games unless I'm dying to play it. My backlog is what has me wait to buy new games nowadays so a lot of time I'll spend 30-40 by the time I buy something.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Only game I ever paid $60 was for Zelda BotW on WiiU

It was worth it for sure.

But 99% of the games arent even worth $50+

Best to wait.

Money's not a issue when it comes to buying games, there's just no point in buying a game at full price when you can just wait another month or so for a discount.

(i.e. Bought FFXV for PS4 for $40 a month after its release - New copy from my local best buy)

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that I can't afford it, it's just keeping overall spending in check. Lately, I've only bought the big hyped releases. I think the last one I bought at launch was Sekiro, and the next one will be Death Stranding. Not that I haven't bought other games, but they've all been older stuff on sale.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always had trouble playing full price for games. I usually get them used and sell other games to finance a new purchase.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I've effectively stopped buying games day one unless they fill two parameters.

(A)It's a game I KNOW I'm going to be playing for a long time and has enough content to keep me interested
(B)It has regional pricing.

If it doesn't fulfill both those categories then I see no reason to pick it up day one, even if it's something I'm very interested in.
How long did it take you to cultivate the self-control to wait on the games you're very interested in?

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Almost any game with post launch dlc = discounted GOTY edition purchase.

I only buy at launch games from genres I want to support. Generally single player RPG.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
flat,550x550,075,f.u4.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I only buy multiplayer games around launch, if it's a single player game then I wait for a heavy discount because it doesn't really matter when I play it because there's no worry about a diminishing player base.

With game pass I hardly buy any games, my backlog across that and Steam is ridiculous. I'll never finish all the games I own already.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
if you're buying $60 games on the regular either you're a) not looking for bargains hard enough or b) have terrible impulse control and can't wait a month or three for the inevitable 15%+ discount almost every game gets

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I only spend $60 on a game if it's something I'm really, really excited for, or if it's a Nintendo game (because they never go on sale).

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I can afford them but I tend to play games once and move on, so I can't really justify the cost that often. 90% of the time I either rent them or borrow from a friend.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
No problem affording them, but increasingly have less and less desire to actually spend the money on them.

Especially open-world "expansive" games. Those are almost guaranteed to be unfinished in my library. Witcher 3 is still sitting there unfinished even and I've had it for years.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
$80 here in Canada.

I stopped buying games Day 1 unless I really really really want it.

AC Odyssey Gold (game + season pass) was 129 and four months later it was 26 bucks on PSN.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I only spend $60 on a game if it's something I'm really, really excited for, or if it's a Nintendo game (because they never go on sale).

This isnt true

The last time I bought a Nintendo game at full price was Zelda BotW cause it was day 1.

Prior to that, the only Nintendo game I bought at full price was NSMB for Wii for $50 and that was back in 2009.

Fire Emblem Awakening - $15
Fire Emblem Echoes - $20
Zelda TP HD - $25
Zelda WW HD - $20
Paper Mario Sticker Star - $10
Pokemon Ultra Sun and Sun - $30
Mario Kart 8 - $35
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon - $20
Zelda OoT 3D - $20
Zelda MM 3D - $20

are some examples

Best Buy/Target not so long ago had some sales too where some of the biggest Switch games were like $35 to $40.

Tokklyym

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't bought a game at launch in 2019 other than Mario Maker 2.

I have a good job and I am not stretched, but I just don't feel like I am getting full value on Day 1. Not to mention I have been purging a bunch of my last gen stuff and I have more than one game I bought at launch at full price and didn't take the plastic off. Never again. No more backlog.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I've run into a problem from a different approach where I have so many unplayed games that it doesn't make sense to buy any more at full price unless I'm going to play it right away and I'm actually hyped for it.

I also collect retro games so my game my budget has to cover a lot of bases. I'd much rather buy a couple $30 games that I'll maybe get around to instead of a $60 game that I'll maybe get around to. Mostly because by the time I'll play it, it only costs $20-$30 which is just stupid.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the games I like are niche so I dont mind spending 60 on games that need support.

Jan 21, 2019
I rarely buy full price, it's just a bad deal. You pay more for a less polished experience just to experience it early. Games won't run away and my backlog is long enough, absolutely no need to buy at launch except for FromSoft game, but they are FromSoft, so that's ok.

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Honestly cant remember the last time i bought a game full price, there is so much backlog and now with gamepass its even worse, the good news is i dont spend much money on games.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I very rarely buy games full price these days. Three kids and a mortgage does that for you. Game pass has been amazing for me. I get to play a ton of games and wait for prices to drop.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
For everything besides Nintendo, wait. For Nintendo, sell the game for like €45-50 and buy another Nintendo game.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Deal hunting for me. I've spent $60 every now and then, but for years I had GCU which made it easy to never spend $60. It's been harder to find deals since it ended, but they are out there. For PS4 games, I just wait it out. Almost every game goes under $30 eventually, and most games go under $50 pretty quickly as well if I'm slightly impatient.

For Nintendo games, I got my first 5 physical games for like $38 a pop with GCU + Visa Checkout deal back in 2017. Since GCU ended, Walmart has had physical games going for $50 early on, but Raise.com is what I have been mainly using. Raise gets you 8-9% off eshop cards, and when I combined that with the recent 7% sale, I ended up getting four Nintendo Vouchers for $160..so I'll be getting 4 games for $40 a pop when it is all said and done plus you get eshop credit back when buying the vouchers. I had about $145 in CC rewards as well so it was really $15 out of pocket for 4 games. I didn't want to go so digital with the Switch at first, but the deals have been good. Hard to ignore.

So even with Nintendo games there is a way to get them cheaper. I'm guessing the next $60 game I buy will be like BOTW2 or something, but even then I feel like Walmart or Amazon will have some type of preorder sale at one point. We will see.

Last edited:

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I've run into a problem from a different approach where I have so many unplayed games that it doesn't make sense to buy any more at full price unless I'm going to play it right away and I'm actually hyped for it.

I also collect retro games so my game my budget has to cover a lot of bases. I'd much rather buy a couple $30 games that I'll maybe get around to instead of a $60 game that I'll maybe get around to. Mostly because by the time I'll play it, it only costs $20-$30 which is just stupid.

This is my issue as well. It just doesn't make financial sense to spend that much on the game when by the time I actually play it it'll be cheaper and probably have patches or extra content. The only exception to this is if there's a collector's edition that I think will go out of stock quickly, or it's one of a very select few games that I've decided I'll be buying early (like Persona 5 Royal) and those both get budgeted for.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Married, with two adult children and all of the bills and responsibilities that go with it.

I've become super thrifty, and it's extremely rare for me to spend $60 on a game. I don't see value in spending that much money on a videogame. Especially in the face of the tremendous value we're seeing with Game Pass and Humble. Then you've got Epic giving away games left and right, and if you've got Amazon Prime, there's more there.

Majadamus

Jun 3, 2019
Connecticut
I hardly ever buy video games at full price. Even the $20 - $30 games. I don't have a lot of time for games like when I was a teenager to my 20's. Lack of responsibility was great. So, I usually only buy games at full price if it's something I absolutely must play right away. Even when I was working and living with my parents I waited for price drops because I like saving money.

I do have a mortgage, and other bills, but no kids. But, I can somewhat sympathize with you. You probably don't have a lot of time to play every hot new release right away that comes out anyways. Wait for those inevitable price drops. Ain't nuttin wrong with savin a little money, man.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
I think I've only bought a handful of games full price since 2015.

Most of the games I want go on sale in months, if not weeks. I have enough of a backlog that i have something to play when new games are out.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
What the fuck? What stupid reasoning are you going to give as for your argument about this?
Because games lose their value quickly and because you can find deals much easier these days to not have to pay 60, even before official price cuts.

I don't see how this is arguable. That's from a price standpoint. If you want to support developers or play games the second they come out, well no shit.

(Again you can shop around and still do those things)

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
What the fuck? What stupid reasoning are you going to give as for your argument about this?

I think since most Nintendo games stay at full cost for a very long time, you kind of have to purchase them at full price if you wish to play them. Where as other games, they tend to drop in price mere weeks after launch so you may as well wait for the price drop.

Oct 27, 2017
Buying a game at launch has to fulfill at least one of these requirements:
  1. Multiplayer oriented therefore I want to play while the community is active.
  2. Has a really great limited edition that comes with either an artbook and/or soundtrack.
  3. I REALLY want to play it.
And the newest reason:

Most of the games I like are niche so I dont mind spending 60 on games that need support.

This. Things used to be so good at the beginning of the generation in regards to print runs for niche games. These days anything from small publishers (Aksys, XSEED, Spike Chunsoft) feels like it gets the initial print run and nothing more, it took me forever to find a copy of Ys VIII.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I got lucky yesterday and got RDR2 on PS4 at a pawn shop for 12 dollars. I've avoided all spoilers, music and story beats outside of the official trailers. I told myself I would wait a full year from original launch in case they announce the PC version but for the price of like 2 fancy starbucks drinks, it is inconsequential to just grab it.

Very few games will I buy at full price outside of titles where I just gotta have it. PC games I can generally find for 25% off before launch on different sites due to price competition. So it generally ends up being console games that I pay full price, unless I can get like 7 or 8 bucks off on the Target app, etc. Otherwise if it's a rare type of game, Prey, Yakuza, etc.

giphy.gif

Majadamus

Jun 3, 2019
Connecticut

To be fair, I can kinda see where he's going with this. Nintendo first party games take a bit of time to drop in price. Nintendo associates cheaper products with poorer quality. And they know gamers, especially fanboys, really want their video games and will buy right away. Why drop the price so fast when you really don't need to? Business sense.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Too expensive for what they offer.
I limit a gaming budget to avoid excessively buying games I won't even play or enjoy.
In rare cases, I find that one that makes me come back and make the 60 worth it. But they are so rare.
I wish they had more trials.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
Hi, Era folk.

I'm not poor or anything, but I have two kids and a mortgage and car payment and all that other stuff.

I'm realizing that when it comes to my personal budget, I've had trouble having the money for full priced games. It's led to me playing more indies (which isn't a bad thing by any means), but when something like Astral Chain comes out, I pretty much have to decide if I want to go over budget so I can play it.

Just wondering if anyone else experienced this? Is it just the joy of being middle class in America?

In my country(Hungary) a full priced game costs more than 1/5 of the minimal wage.

On topic: Well I could afford them It's just not worth to get a game at launch day. Adults with a full time job, girlfriend, social life, friends and other hobbies just can't play that much and discounts are coming reaaaally fast (other than Nintendo). I'll make an exception with FFVIIR though.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
To be fair, I can kinda see where he's going with this. Nintendo first party games take a bit of time to drop in price. Nintendo associates cheaper products with poorer quality. And they know gamers, especially fanboys, really want their video games and will buy right away. Why drop the price so fast when you really don't need to? Business sense.

The key for this strategy is to have games with long legs. Not every publisher can do this like Nintendo.
Even inside Nintendo, some games struggle to sell after 6 months. They just keep the price to maintain the overall policy as a broad strategy.