• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
The most played system for me right now is the 3DS with it's 240p screen because of the immense backlog i have. If the next Switch is 4K ready, that be great. If it isn't, that's also great. I just want to play games, not matter the power. Also, the fact that gamers here want Nintendo to go from the most modern console design of the Switch to the ancient design of Xbox/PS/PC is something quite amusing.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
It's still a gimmick tho, a clever one but still a gimmick, just like the wii and the wii u were, nintendo likes quirky consoles now, i'm not saying this is a bad thing btw.

It's just that i would rather have had a regular powerful console and a separate handheld console with a unique lineup of games like nintendo did in the past.

But nintendo obviously did the right thing with the switch, most people seem to love it and it is selling really well.
Nintendo innovates. They don't just add another rocket to the same ship which does absolutely nothing for the industry. And I think that's the reason theyre still king and leaders today.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I don't need their games to look any better than they do right now when it comes to graphical fidelity, I just want higher native resolutions, better anti-aliasing (or in some cases, AA at all), and stable framerates.

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It funny how Switch gets so much complaining about power and lack of 60fps first party games when reality is that system is mobile tablet and much lower specs than PS4.

If we look some examples from Sony first party games this generation.

Bloodborne 30fps + framepacing issues
Death Stranding 30fps
Drive Club 30 fps
Horizon Zero Dawn 30fps
Last of Us 2 30fps

Yeah.
GoT was sometimes near unplayable to me on the og ps4. The last level was basically a slide show.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Switch is (or was) incredibly cutting edge. There are many areas where Nintendo is behind, but in terms of tech, they caught up this gen.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
I fully understand the cost behind the UHD Twins, and Nintendo dont have that money

Nintendo has billions upon billions of dollars in cash reserves. They could fund that AAAA Pokémon and Zelda if they thought it was a good idea.

That said, I'd be all over a Nintendo system that would let me play the next 3D Mario in 4K60 with HDR. Heck, the current Tegra X1 supports HDR, but Nintendo chose to output Mobility DisplayPort over the USB C interface, and thus can't carry HDR. Possibly they did this because HDMI alt mode was still in flux while they were designing the hardware. I'm not sure, but it wouldn't make sense for them to use this design otherwise, because the dock gets more expensive to produce (as a conversion chip is required). Or maybe it's a weird licensing issue. Nintendo have been stingy about this in the past.

In some respects, the Switch is poorly realized. For example, they put USB 3.0 hardware in the dock, and chose to run it at USB 2.0 speeds.

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Average consumers/casual gamers couldn't care less about graphics, in whom they make up the majority of the market.

You think that it's hardcore gamers who play games like Animal Crossing: New Horizons or Pokémon: Sword (or Shield)?
Non-gamers are still very much around the console space. The switch and PS4 would not sale the way they do if there wasent

Animal Crossing has the kind of appeal your yearly COD game has, obviously not to the same demographic group. It hits a wide gamer audience, but they are still gamers even if very casual.
But I don't think they are bringing in a lot of the non-gamer demo in substantial numbers, at least the kind of people the DS/Wii brought i. It's a mistake to think they are.

At the end of the day Animal Crossing is very much a video game. Even Ring Fit is a fitness game wrapped in a strong adventure RPG wrapper. Compare that to the Wii Fit series.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The Switch at laumch was pretty high end as far as its form factor and chipset were concerned. I would always welcome more power but I dont feel like there is any real market for a pure Nintendo console in the market and their handhelds are never going away. As such they would never be able to support 2 unique HD pieces of hardware.

They got out of super powerful hardware a long time ago but with the Switch they have waded back into making quality systems render power wise and I expect the successor to be a big step up. The Switch Pro should help smooth out a bunch of games as well.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
It funny how Switch gets so much complaining about power and lack of 60fps first party games when reality is that system is mobile tablet and much lower specs than PS4.

If we look some examples from Sony first party games this generation.

Bloodborne 30fps + framepacing issues
Death Stranding 30fps
Drive Club 30 fps
Horizon Zero Dawn 30fps
Last of Us 2 30fps

Yeah.
I think it's just with the upcoming consoles and some games being 4K 60fps and others 120fps.

I hope they stay that way, but it'll be interesting to see if all of that gets dropped or not. Ratchet and Clank doesn't offer 4K60fps, but I have to imagine cross gen games like Horizon will.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Funny how price have been barely discussed in this thread. Better hardware = higher prices and truth is, no one outside this forum is paying 400$+ for a Nintendo console, 350 is already pushing it

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Invest in a PC to emulate switch games otherwise wait until its dirt cheap to get those kind of visuals on a handheld form factor without generating a ton of heat and draining the battery quickly.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Well the art styles have largely remained the same, and its just technical ability of the console driving higher resolutions etc. We will see 4k "next gen" visuals with those styles in either the switch 2 or whatever other system they are cooking up. especially since 4k is quickly becoming a standard. But if you think we are gonna see something that will compete with the series x or PS5, hahahah, no.

edit: and I don't see a reason to. chasing that is expensive and for very little results. I doubt the switch would have been 10 times more popular if it was competing with the big 2. People buy nintendo for the nintendo magic. Fun polished games that are for everyone.

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you of course that I'd prefer Sony (and MS) to put out hybrids but I'm not the one starting a thread saying how "annoyed" I am at them. I understand why they don't do it because they have a certain place in the industry that works well for them as they are. Just like Nintendo does.

My point is the OP is seemingly unable to think outside of themselves in this instance to realize why they shouldn't be pissed at Nintendo for this.
I think that is just something people on the internet say. If you really want to play Nintendo games then you are going to buy their hardware. If you were to focus on internet comments you would think that most popular games and movies are horribly flawed and hated.

The power argument is what Nintendo did for the GameCube and no one bought that console. I remember seeing deals where you could get a Cube with mariokart and an extra controller for $99 and it still didn't sell. The Wii and DS were their weirdest consoles and they sold the best.

Overall its clear that the Switch is a huge success and there are more people that love the hybrid concept than want a traditional console. Its honestly hard for me to go back (I will still get a PS5 if I can find one). But I think a better view is that its cool that we have choices. PC for bleeding edge and a ton of options, PS5/Xbox as a nice compromise on price and performance, Switch for a hybrid approach and cell phones for mobile games. I always prefer a more positive approach and living with the fact that other people like different things but thats not how people generally communicate online.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
As long as their art direction remains the best of the first parties I'll continue to let their technical shortcomings slide.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think they're fine. The only time it really bothers me is when the games have performance issues or obvious graphical blemishes. Breath of the Wild has a lot of aliasing, which undermines its visual presentation (in my opinion), and even simple indy games like Enter the Gungeon do not run all that well. Hades is constantly jumping between 30 and 60 FPS.

It's just not a good way to experience these games, unless all you care for is portability. So I'd really welcome a Switch Pro in that sense. But I don't want 4k resolutions, I'd rather just see better framerates for most games.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't a 4K Switch expected to be announced soon?

Anyway, I don't think Nintendo needs 4K, but they really should avoid releasing games with the resolution so low like Xenoblade Definitive Edition, that thing is almost unplayable for me.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I'm just worried about how underwhelming Bayo 3 is going to look/perform on a Switch

Hopefully that pro makes a big difference

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't mind that their games aren't 4K given the hybrid nature of the Switch, but first party titles regularly being sub 1080p (hell, sometimes sub 720p!) and unstable 30fps is incredibly disappointing tbh. I don't understand how it keeps happening? And to games that don't seem like they justify those kinds of performance compromises? I'd been looking forward to a remastered Xenoblade Chronicles even before it was announced, but didn't even bother getting it in that state. I'll pick it up on sale in a few years once I can emulate it flawlessly on PC.

Oh and Game Freak suck hard, obviously. They're an eternal disappointment.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if frustrated is the right word, but I definitely wish Nintendo could push graphics much further than they are. Yes, we all know it's not feasible for them because of their business philosophy, but it's nice to dream. I'm not sure where all then proclamations about gameplay > graphics are coming from. The hypothetical here is the same Nintendo game but with better graphics.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Truth be told, them not offering top of the line graphics doesn't necessarily bother me.

I think what bothers me on some Switch titles is the aggressive resolution dropping/AA they do which makes the game look so visually bad. Blurry and messy. Both Xenoblade games are good examples of it. They look absolutely horrific at times.

Fortunately Nintendos own titles generally don't suffer from it. BotW, Odyssey, Animal Crossing, they all look great.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OMG at the strawmanned excuses, damage control and apologism in this thread. Fandom is, most definitively, a poison to the brain. Some people here talk like it's going to affect them negatively under some dubious claims if they follow this direction, but it won't. I'm very supportive for Nintendo's return to the hardware race and will only benefit them if they do. One of the key reasons for why third-party support for Nintendo platforms is crippled is because they don't have the hardware power to properly meet the market and development demands. No matter how well the hardware sells, as long as the hardware is behind the competition, third-parties will not jump in. They didn't with Wii, aren't with Switch and won't with a Switch 2 as long Nintendo decides to get back into the hardware. I also agree that Nintendo games are the best but their hardware are terrible and, somewhat, impose unnecessary restrictions for their games. I remember some people saying Nintendo is all about fun and simplicity (and they're, in some way), but once stuff like BOTW and Odyssey came out, this argument didn't really aged well, as Nintendo games can really evolve and look great.

"Ah, Nintendo don't need third-party support". They do. Well, if this was true, then Wii U would still be around and no Switch was ever made. Anyone believing this needs to make a reality check, no one can survive on their own. Why should Nintendo give the middle finger to third-parties now when they succesfully managed to rebuild bridges with many of them? This would be a nonsensical, self-destructive decision to follow.

"Nintendo tried before and failed". This is a hive mind's echo chamber strawmen that, unfortunately, seems to never die. Supporters of this theory constantly use the GameCube as the example for why Nintendo shouldn't try again. This was an excuse brought by Satoru Iwata, as well, to support his laissez faire/neoliberal direction on Nintendo and alienated/brainwashed their fanboys to believe this. Anyway, we're in 2020, those statements were made back in the early and mid 2000's, the world and Nintendo changed completely ever since. Nintendo definitively can compete and dominate, if they're really interested in this.

"Nintendo has no money" WTF? Please... they're one of the most powerful and richest companies in the world, they aren't a small indie dev with limited resources as some seems to believe. It's time to get rid of the defeatism. I would buy, day 1, a high-end Nintendo hardware. Most of my all-time favorite systems (NES, SNES and N64) were from a time Nintendo was still on the hardware racing and able to produce one of the all time greatest games ever. I'm not against them dropping the Switch concept, but defeatism isn't really a good argument to backdown a high-end hardware approach, which I hope they'll return someday.

"Switch is mostly a portable machine" That's not what sales say. Switch Lite is selling way less than the docked Switch. There's no evidence to support that most Switch owners are playing it on portable mode more than docked. I believe they can mix the Switch concept and returning to the hardware race. Nintendo was always reasonable about pricing even on their hardware racing days. GameCube was designed to have a price drop and was a very powerful machine.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
They're making a ton of money as is, and they have everyone convinced that their way of putting fun before graphocs is the way to go with them.

I want a Bayonetta with all the power of ps5 and it'll be impossible

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I'll be honest with you: no because Nintendo is still struggling with 1080p game development. My biggest issue with modern Nintendo is how few teams they have and how infrequently new games are released. If they had stronger hardware they'd take even longer.

That said, games like Kirby running at 30 FPS on Switch is embarrassing

SickNasty

Mar 18, 2020
I too, regularly throw my controller away in disgust while playing Mario and think that if only it was rendering in 4K HDR then it would be a good video game.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
A lot of people here must be new to gaming. Wishing Nintendo was more like the other guys is one of the grand traditions of this hobby ever since the olden days.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
"Switch is mostly a portable machine" That's not what sales say. Switch Lite is selling way less than the docked Switch. There's no evidence to support that most Switch owners are playing it on portable mode more than docked. I believe they can mix the Switch concept and returning to the hardware race. Nintendo was always reasonable about pricing even on their hardware racing days. GameCube was designed to have a price drop and was a very powerful machine.
nintendo-switch-usage-1-640x640.jpg

This predates Pokémon, Animal Crossing, and Switch Lite so probably the percentage of people who only play handhelds is higher today than when the graph was made.

50% of the people used both modes and 30% of the people almost always used a handheld. And all Lite sales, whatever they are, increase the percentage of people who only use handhelds.

Tell me about evidence, please.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
OMG at the strawmanned excuses, damage control and apologism in this thread. Fandom is, most definitively, a poison to the brain. Some people here talk like it's going to affect them negatively under some dubious claims if they follow this direction, but it won't. I'm very supportive for Nintendo's return to the hardware race and will only benefit them if they do. One of the key reasons for why third-party support for Nintendo platforms is crippled is because they don't have the hardware power to properly meet the market and development demands. No matter how well the hardware sells, as long as the hardware is behind the competition, third-parties will not jump in. They didn't with Wii, aren't with Switch and won't with a Switch 2 as long Nintendo decides to get back into the hardware. I also agree that Nintendo games are the best but their hardware are terrible and, somewhat, impose unnecessary restrictions for their games. I remember some people saying Nintendo is all about fun and simplicity (and they're, in some way), but once stuff like BOTW and Odyssey came out, this argument didn't really aged well, as Nintendo games can really evolve and look great.

"Ah, Nintendo don't need third-party support". They do. Well, if this was true, then Wii U would still be around and no Switch was ever made. Anyone believing this needs to make a reality check, no one can survive on their own. Why should Nintendo give the middle finger to third-parties now when they succesfully managed to rebuild bridges with many of them? This would be a nonsensical, self-destructive decision to follow.

"Nintendo tried before and failed". This is a hive mind's echo chamber strawmen that, unfortunately, seems to never die. Supporters of this theory constantly use the GameCube as the example for why Nintendo shouldn't try again. This was an excuse brought by Satoru Iwata, as well, to support his laissez faire/neoliberal direction on Nintendo and alienated/brainwashed their fanboys to believe this. Anyway, we're in 2020, those statements were made back in the early and mid 2000's, the world and Nintendo changed completely ever since. Nintendo definitively can compete and dominate, if they're really interested in this.

"Nintendo has no money" WTF? Please... they're one of the most powerful and richest companies in the world, they aren't a small indie dev with limited resources as some seems to believe. It's time to get rid of the defeatism. I would buy, day 1, a high-end Nintendo hardware. Most of my all-time favorite systems (NES, SNES and N64) were from a time Nintendo was still on the hardware racing and able to produce one of the all time greatest games ever. I'm not against them dropping the Switch concept, but defeatism isn't really a good argument to backdown a high-end hardware approach, which I hope they'll return someday.

Never seen so much wrong in a post.

- Third Party stopped giving a shit about Nintendo, and it ended up.... not harming them at all. The switch Has gotten some cool 3P games, but not a ton and it's surely not why it's on track to be the best selling console of the gen. Nintendo's first party are capable carrying the entire console. The Wii U sold like shite because it was a shite console with a bad concept, if Nintendo's first party couldn't save it, what makes you think third parties could've?

- the magic of the switch is that it's both a console and portable, not one or the other. It's the versatility that adds a whole other dimension

I don't know how era looks at the most innovative system from the three hardware makers in years, sees it selling gangbusters and thinks, "they should take away what makes this unique and make yet another iterative samey box with more power so I can play my games in 4K".... like, what?

CMP

Oct 27, 2017
United States of America
The main thing I'm frustrated with Nintendo is their online multiplayer capabilities. There's not very many games with online multiplayer that I can play with friends/family, and those that exist have poor latency.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
Mature games and top notch hardware is something you will never get from family friendly Nintendo. They sell more software and hardware than the other 2. Nintendo is Disney of video games.

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
my TV is 4k ... but i still enjoy switch games on 1080 p just fine

idk, nintendo games on 4k seems doesn't have much different since they focus more on gameplay usually

however it'd be nice if they can pull it off with Switch Pro or something

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I mean, you'll get those visuals... just in maybe 10 years or so :-D

Honestly, this is one of the reasons I've taken to emulation for replaying stuff since the wii era. I have trouble going back sometimes to older graphics

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
I fully understand the cost behind the UHD Twins, and Nintendo dont have that money but God is it anoying.
I understand why people jumped on this comment, but I do believe that very high fidelity "AAA" graphics and development techniques have a cost beyond money.
Namely bigger, more specialised teams accross several studios to account for the manpower.

From my undestanding Nintendo EPD groups are all in the same building, and each group works on one or more project, while they share informations and people between groups. The groups are fairly varied in term of capabilities, they are not split by speciality.
When on the contrary you have to split up work to specialised teams to be able to output something, you lose some of the central vision, the ability to prototype and experiment and change things once the project has taken a certain size.

The go-to example is Splatoon since a lot of its development was covered. It's not a specialised "character design team" that came up with the designs and a dedicated "audio designer" that came up with the music, it's the devs from gameplay restrictions and their hobbies that ended on those choices.
I feel that AAA development, due to its cost and its scale, does not allow for such centralised freedom. Nintendo games do feel like they are developed in smaller teams on smaller budget than other "AAA" games (and they probably do - Miyamoto reportedly said that BotW only had to sell 2m to be profitable), but their charm comes from that compact and focused development environment, backed by Nintendo's safety net.

Last edited: