• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
While I definitely enjoy music, I'm always terrible when it comes to trying to remember lyrics to songs.

Even for songs I've listened to over and over again, I just can't seem to remember the lyrics to the vast majority of them, but as far as the tune of the song, that's never an issue.

Yet, I know plenty of people that can just recite lyrics so easily.

Does anyone else have this problem with music, or am I on an island alone here?

starpower

The Fallen
Jan 23, 2018
Canada
I am in the exact same position, in fact I can't even hear lyrics most of the time and people always think I am crazy when I tell them this

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Same here. The chorus usually isn't that much of a problem, but the rest of the song is often a blur to me. When listening to music I always pay more attention to the melody than to the lyrics.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i remember lyrics too well

when i sing a song in my head or to myself i end up having to finish it

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Most lyrics are such derivative trash that not having that floating around in your head could almost certainly be considered a postive.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Yeah, I'm terrible at it. I can not sing a complete song without messing up or forgetting lyrics. And I'm talking about songs I've listened to over 1000 times over many years. It amazes me how singers can pull that off, especially when they have a huge back log of songs.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Song lyrics are like another language to me. If I really concentrate I can sometimes make them out, but if I'm just listening to a song normally it all just washes over me.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Yes I'm absolutely horrible at it. I'm dreadful at karaoke because of it too. Even favorite songs I've listened to thousands of times. Except Ice Cube's Today was a good day for some reason.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
I'm terrible at it. I can usually remember the refrain, but that's it.

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
Same, but I think that's because I mostly put music on while I'm doing other stuff so I'm not 100% focused on the lyrics.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Think of it like this, you can be amazed at the lyrics every time you listen to it assuming the lyrics are good.

But yea, unless I purposely focus on trying to remember the lyrics I usually suck at remembering them too. Once I do choose to practice or repeatedly recite them though it's hard to forget. I think most people who are good at remember lyrics probably rap/sing along to themselves quite a lot rather than just listen.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I have to listen to a song about a dozen times before I ever even pick up on the lyrics. I'll usually sing gibberish as long as it sounds similar until I actually learn the lyrics but I don't have a depository of lyrics saved in my head that I can blurt out at any given time.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm pretty good at picking up on the lyrics. I'm not like, the best at it or anything, but they are definitely a big part of a song for me.

Anonymous Tipster

The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
I'm the same— I can't remember lyrics for the life of me. I used to struggle even making them out, but now days most songs I can pick them up if I pay attention.

I have the same problem with exact quotes from movies or tv shows as well. I usually remember the scene and the gist of the quote, but can't place it exactly.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
I am in the exact same position, in fact I can't even hear lyrics most of the time and people always think I am crazy when I tell them this
Song lyrics are like another language to me. If I really concentrate I can sometimes make them out, but if I'm just listening to a song normally it all just washes over me.

I'm the same as you guys I can't understand lyrics most of the time. I first realised that with Disney songs as a kid. My sisters could sing them no problem and I was just saying gibberish lol.

I also have a hard understanding people talking to me in loud places (like bars or clubs for example). Ruined a couple of dates even. Pretty annoying.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017

The audibility of lyrics depends on a lot of things - the genre, mix and your headphones/speakers all make a big difference.

Honestly, there are plenty of songs where the lyrics are fundamentally difficult to make out (again, really depends on the genre and artist) even when many others are crystal clear.

People who can't remember lyrics: do you ever read them? Or do you go by audio alone?

Luvlaskan

Oct 31, 2017
My partner is a lyrics sponge while I cant even remember the lyrics to my favorite songs. I'm pretty good at remembering melodies and stuff though. I have no problems whistling a song.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
That me. Doesn't matter how often or how many times I listen to a song, I'll never remember the lyrics besides the the hook.

When I listen to music I just get into a vibe where the words just become another instrument to me so I don't pay any attention to what is being said. Exception is like music videos with lyrics written on the screen.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
I try not to hear lyrics too much as I am more of a melody/chords guy... I usually can recognize a song within a second. Not knowing the lyrics makes the song feel fresher for a bit longer to me.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I usually don't even hear the lyrics to a song unless I actively make me listen.

Except for songs that play at bars we sing a long too often, I can sing Tenacious D's Tribute in my sleep.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
It's rare that I do, and I'd probably have to look up the lyrics first. 90% of what I listen to is instrumental, though.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yup. I remember the music itself way better than the lyrics. I can listen to songs for years and not really know what's said in them