• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Nope. Don't even care. I'd rather the resources be applied elsewhere.

Complaining about not having a 4K home screen on a game console is one hell of a splitting hairs scenario imo.

Yes, a 1080p dashboard on a 4K next-gen console is pathetic IMO. But honestly given how plain it is, it also kind of barely matters. The RAM savings on the XSX can't possibly be of material importance.

Performance of the dashboard (and games) is perfectly fine on PS5 with a technically less performant GPU/CPU, and to some extent RAM. Not buying that "reason". Microsoft has been developing hardware accelerated desktops since Longhorn. I expected better here.
Pathetic?? Yikes.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I don't have any issues with the resolution of the UI. Sharper is better of course so I would mildly applaud a switch to a 4K UI but I would give much louder applause for usability tweaks. I want achievements to be even easier to see and digest. I want the creation and pinning of groups to be even easier. I want the removal of all promotional items. I would like more detailed themes with the ability to create custom themes.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and HDR. It's a good looking UI, fast, fluid. Lacking innovation of the PS5 UI (no integrated store, no activities, PIP, or party streaming) and looks blurry in comparison. It would benefit from 4K HDR.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
My only problem with the UI fidelity is this:

Click on dash button. Press hamburger button (start) on any open app/game. The context menu will load in low res for like a sec.

Can someone try it out? I'm on 1440p 120hz sdr btw.
Yep, happens for me at 4k/60hz too.

I'm assuming (hoping) it's a bug of some sort that can be fixed.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Aside from checking off console warrior checklist b.s. it's really not a big deal. I spend as little time in the menu as I can and frankly even as is it's sufficient. With their design language I'm not sure it'd even make a difference. Sony seems to be about thin lines and accents, something the extra resolution helps with. MS seems to be ok with the block nature of their dash and it works fine.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'd take it if they could do it without affecting anything else . But it's not really going to enrich my life I'm any meaningful way other than noticing it for the first 10 minutes.

Ox Code

Jul 21, 2018
The PC and mobile apps are (for easy cross platform UI), but the console side is still vanilla XAML. But regardless, React Native on Windows actually renders using UWP XAML anyway so even if they did (if they wanted to make performance and animations worse), it would still render with the same tech.

That said, the new console store might be written with React Native (and XAML rendered) - I'll have to double check. But the dash are everything else definitely are not.

EDIT: The new console store is React Native (rendered in XAML), and everything else is vanilla XAML (with a couple of legacy HTML views lying around)

Gotcha, sorry for conflating a few different things there.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have an XBX but I believe the PS3 XMB is 1080p and it still looks sharp on my 4K TV. The 360 UI on the other hand looks like a blurry mess.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Feels fine, and don't notice the resolution difference. Let me hard power down my console from the power guide menu though...

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
4k would be nice, as it does look a little blurry.

Then I load up Manifold Garden and forget all about it.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
A premium console should have a premium UI. The One X UI stood out like a sore thumb against the PS4 Pro UI.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Games like Tetris Effect/Yakuza aren't making use of all those extra resources.

Most games aren't, why not make it 4K? Lol but I guess let's drop it sub 720p so devs have more advantage.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
4k would be nice for the dashboard, but I can also live without it. I honestly don't really notice the majority of the time. All of the fonts and art are pretty crisp even in 1080p.

Pinning feature is pretty terrible because games that you uninstall still remain pinned, so I ended up micro managing these pesky thumbnails all the time. I gave up on using that and now just go to "my games & apps" where I can actually see currently installed games and nothing else.

This isn't true at all. I just uninstalled a few Xbox One BC games from the Series X and it prompted me to remove the pins when doing so. Pretty sure it has been like this for a good while.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
4k would be nice for the dashboard, but I can also live without it. I honestly don't really notice the majority of the time. All of the fonts and art are pretty crisp even in 1080p.

This isn't true at all. I just uninstalled a few Xbox One BC games from the Series X and it prompted me to remove the pins when doing so. Pretty sure it has been like this for a good while.

Just noticed that post but yeah, it definitely prompt's you to remove it.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know it wasn't 4K until that post about it, ad honestly I still don't notice it. I think ideally I'd like to be 4K but if it means that games lose a little bit of memory then I'm good with it at 1080p for now.

If they do go to 4K with it maybe they have to change it first so that it uses about the same memory at a higher resolutioin.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
No folders, no transfer of PS5 games to an external drive, no themes, no ability to download savegames from the cloud without going through a list of all your savegames, faulty external drive support in general, no way to backup savegames of PS5 games without paying, unintuitive access to parties and friend as well as trophies, no automatic switching of SDR/HDR content.

Maybe barebones wasn't the right choice of words, but lacking compared to it's predecessor. I would have honestly prefered an evolution of the PS4 UI to the PS5 one (and I know that the pro UI was already 4K). I think the MS approach was the better choice and I don't really like the Xbox UI all that much.

You're right. Barebones wasn't the right choice of words. lol. Even with the things you mentioned........Half of those things will be in a future update for sure.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I notice the difference in crispness vs the PS5's UI on my 65" OLED, but honestly it's not a huge deal. Given Series X multi-platform titles are presently so closely matched with PS5 versions as is, perhaps it's not the best idea to forgo more memory moving up to 4K for the UI, and potentially put the system further behind in games vs the competition.

Though of course that should be an end goal, ideally without loss of ram, and instead through less bloat and more efficiency and optimisations.

Mona-chan

Oct 31, 2017
I dont use 4K TVs and frankly speaking, I'll be content with 1080p for the UI since i use monitors for my setup.

The Switch isn't even as crisp as the other two systems when it comes to UI and its still very functional to begin with. So overall, I don't see it as an issue.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I think Xbox fixing the "Allow 4K and HDR" is far more important and will directly benefit my gaming experience. I spend very little time simply looking at the user interface in either my PS5 or Xbox consoles - I almost immediately jump right into a game.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
I have an ever evolving list of things I'd like to see appear or be explored for my XSX. A 4K UI is on there, but it's nowhere near the top.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Was it Vinny on the Beastcast who told the story of how he was so impressed by the dashboard in 4k that he showed it off to his wife....only for Alex and Jeff to inform him it's actually still 1080p lol Doesn't matter.

HotStunt

Oct 27, 2017
I sit far enough from my TV that 1080p looks fine on the Series X. Yeah, could be crisper, but doesn't look shit.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To be clear, you're 'absolutely suggesting' that more VRAM doesn't benefit games? Lmao.

You think that Series X having a 1080p Dashboard is going to make its games perform better than PS5 because of its 4K dashboard? That's absurd. Lmao. And yes, I absolutely believe that Series X could have a 4K Dashboard with no negative impact on games.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You think that Series X having a 1080p Dashboard is going to make its games perform better than PS5 because of its 4K dashboard? That's absurd. Lmao. And yes, I absolutely believe that Series X could have a 4K Dashboard with no negative impact on games.
The PS5 has nothing to do with it, you're comparing apples to oranges. No matter what you want to pretend, using more resources absolutely leaves less resources for other things. Shit that should be obvious 101.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

I said absolutely nothing about the dashboard resolution and relative performance to the PS5.

I had an entirely unrelated discussion with someone else about reasons put forward for the performance disparity. Nowhere did I link that disparity to the dashboard resolution. All the statements I've made about more VRAM being beneficial to devs of Xbox games have never included the PS5.

I'm not going to go down this console warz rabbit hole with you. Cheers.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The PS5 has nothing to do with it, you're comparing apples to oranges. No matter what you want to pretend, using more resources absolutely leaves less resources for other things. Shit that should be obvious 101.

He argued that games would perform worse with a 4K dashboard so that is why it's 1080p. I'd say that is utter nonsense. I never said it didn't help make something like Quick Resume possible. But that's not what was being discussed...
"Shit that should be obvious 101" what a BS rude comment.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

Like, I'm completely flummoxed. Dafuq does this have to do with PS5?

"More available VRAM will help make xbox games run better". Why's he tacking on 'than PS5' to this?

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Like, I'm completely flummoxed. Dafuq does this have to do with PS5?

"More available VRAM will help make xbox games run better". Why's he tacking on 'than PS5' to this?

How is it not obvious? The PS5 is an example of a 4K Dashboard and its games are not suffering for it. To suggest that having a 1080p Dashboard is worth it (or even necessary) because it will help games run better is silly to me. Believe whatever you want though.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Hell no, I'd like per game hdr toggles and per game control mapping well before anything like that.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
How is it not obvious? The PS5 is an example of a 4K Dashboard and its games are not suffering for it. To suggest that having a 1080p Dashboard is worth it (or even necessary) because it will help games run better is silly to me. Believe whatever you want though.

So Digital Foundry is 'silly'? Game developers are silly?

From their Xbox One X review
The one fly in the ointment here is that if you run Xbox One X on a 4K screen, you're still getting a 1080p dashboard, upscaled - just as it is on the S model. When we visited Microsoft at the end of March, the original plan was to reserve 1GB of RAM for the upgraded ultra HD dashboard, leaving 8GB total for developers. Microsoft tells us that game-makers said that they could use the extra memory, so plans for the 4K front-end were dropped. GameDVR has been upgraded to support 4K media and this does still operate in ultra HD, but otherwise, all elements of the dash are a little bit blurry owing to the upscale. The bottom line? Xbox One X features nine gigs for games, with 3GB reserved for the system.

We know that - from Microsoft - a 4K upgraded dash would have cost them around 1GB. And game developers prevailed on them to leave that for actual games to improve performance. So same is fully expected on the Series X.

This isn't rocket science.

The PS5 is an example of a 4K Dashboard and its games are not suffering for it.

You really love these apples to oranges comparisons, don't you?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The PS5 also has significantly less features in the dash in general, what's your point? They're completely different.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So Digital Foundry is 'silly'? Game developers are silly?

From their Xbox One X review

We know that - from Microsoft - a 4K upgraded dash would have cost them around 1GB. And game developers prevailed on them to leave that for actual games to improve performance. So same is fully expected on the Series X.

You really love these apples to oranges comparisons, don't you?

Lol what? You referenced Digital Foundry and then simply showed a Microsoft quote that they provided with their own justification. Not any kind of opinion from Digital Foundry or example of it making a difference. In fact, the only opinion they gave is that the Dashboard is disappointingly blurry. Agreed!

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Lol what? You referenced Digital Foundry and then simply showed a Microsoft quote that they provided with their own justification. Not any kind of opinion from Digital Foundry or example of it making a difference. In fact, the only opinion they gave is that the Dashboard is disappointingly blurry. Agreed!

How would Digital Foundry be able to 'provide an example of it making a difference' when the One X shipped with the 9GB RAM reserved?

This is such a weird conversation. Your takes have run the whole gamut from claiming that more VRAM isn't beneficial to game developers at higher resolutions and now flat out suggesting that Microsoft lied to Digital Foundry or are fully incapable of making a 4K UI.

If this was anywhere outside a heavily moderated forum, I'd have thought I was being trolled.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How would Digital Foundry be able to 'provide an example of it making a difference' when the One X shipped with the 9GB RAM reserved?

This is such a weird conversation. Your takes have run the whole gamut from claiming that more VRAM isn't beneficial to game developers at higher resolutions and now flat out suggesting that Microsoft lied to Digital Foundry or are fully incapable of making a 4K UI.

If this was anywhere outside a heavily moderated forum, I'd have thought I was being trolled.

Now we're at the point of you putting words in my mouth. OK, time for you to go on "ignore" and I'm ending this conversation.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, I don't own a 4K screen or a modern console, but I had this issue with the PS3 and Wii U. They would output their menu at 720p, even though some games ran at 1080p. Clearly noticeable difference.