• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
This is what's known as page swapping. This would only be performant if you suspended the application (page swapping a real time application is hella slow, even with an SSD), which you can't do because you can't assume the state is suspendable in such a short space of time, say if you were in a multiplayer game. If your answer to that is "just don't do it when you're in multiplayer", well that's a problem because when are you in multiplayer? You'd think that would be clear cut but it's actually not a definable state.

That's fair enough regarding the issue with multiplayer games, though it is to be noted the same issue applies to quick resume, but it should at the very least be capable of rendering in 4K while there is no game actively running, dropping down to 1080p while something is active. So if you have no game running or all games are already in suspended state (quick resume state) it should be able to render in 4K.

lupumVigili

Oct 27, 2020
For everyone saying, "well I'd much rather the extra 1 GB go to games, so I'm happy"...can you explain to me how that makes any sense since the PS5 has a 4K Dashboard and the games are performing slightly better on it even for the most part?

I think that explanation would have worked for the one x or even the XSS but not for XSX. I think it's more of a features priority thing. Xbox's UI is always evolving and the UI team is always adding/removing features. A 4K UI would be a big feature that would require a lot of work and testing to add but since there's sort of low demand for it they are probably prioritising other features.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
If they can do it without a performance hit? Yes please.

Just don't put it in a HDR container please.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I do agree that it would be an improvement. The game art, text, and the little badges that they put on games would certainly look a lot better. Maybe even 1440p would suffice.

When I look at the PS5 UI it does look crisper, although the Xbox dashboard is extremely fine tuned right now and I don't want that to go away either.

After a few weeks with Quick Resume, I want them to fix that first. How fast they do things I am guessing there will be a beta version showing which games are in QR within a few months.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I'm using a 4K 50 inch television and I can't say I've once wished the resolution was higher.

I'm loving the UI because of its speed of response, even during play, so I'd much rather they prioritised that. This is coming from PS4 Pro where the UI freezes at every waking moment if you're trying to do anything during a game. I also believe the RAM is allocated to games, too, which is again a priority over flashy window decoration.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
It's the UI, I really don't care. Honestly they can do whatever with resolution but I just hope they don't add HDR. I will often leave my console on the dashboard as I go do something else but I'm less comfortable doing that with my PS5 plugged into my OLED as it very quickly gets image retention thanks to the UI being HDR.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The only reason I'd like them to do it, would be to eliminate the quick black screen when your TV changes resolutions to launch a game.

Aside from that, I don't care even a little bit, lol. The only reason I even know it isn't 4K, is because people have said it here. It looks more than crisp and sharp enough for me, and if it means more system resources for the games, then great.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Nope, don't think it's necessary at all. The dashboard looks great at its current resolution.

Scarlet0Pimp

Feb 4, 2018
If there is any benefit for games having it 1080p then keep it 1080p honestly id looks great as is on my 55" TV.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feels a little dated using it, but ultimately not too big a deal, particularly if those resources are being used by more important things

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
It would be Nice but I really don't mind.

Each time I actually notice it, I think about it for 1 second and then go on to play my stuffs. Impact is so negligeable.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just wish they'd provide the option for it to output as HDR (in an SDR container) like PS5.

My TV blanking out periodically to switch between SDR and HDR every time I launch a game drives me crazy, especially now with Quick Resume where I'm switching between games with regularity.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Yes. It reminds of Switch with 720p dashboard.

Not my top issue with Xbox dash though (which is that I have to go to settings to choose between Instant On and Energy Saver. I want I just want the option when I go to turn it off like on PS4 and PS5. Especially this gen I only need Instant On/Rest Mode when downloading something).

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Yes. It reminds of Switch with 720p dashboard.

Not my top issue with Xbox dash though (which is that I have to go to settings to choose between Instant On and Energy Saver. I want I just want the option when I go to turn it off like on PS4 and PS5. Especially this gen I only need Instant On/Rest Mode when downloading something).
This is a really good point and something I'd like to have.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Eh. I mean the Dashboard is so stupidly efficient that you're in and out for what you need in seconds, no matter the task. If it ends up being 4K then cool? Otherwise it's scraping the wood off the bottom of the barrel for things to be concerned about for the Series X.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
I don't care and I hope MS doesn't either unless it is on the Series XX and they added 8GB of more RAM.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
If this in any way results in a compromised dash/games experience, then that's a flat no. I barely notice it sitting 6 feet away.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's a bunch of squared tiles and text. It looks and performs perfectly fine at 1080p. And if that means more resources for cool features and games then it doesn't need to change.

I'll take function over style any day.

Last edited:

Ox Code

Jul 21, 2018
The biggest reason is that unlike the PlayStation's and Xbox 360 before it, the X1 /XS don't use a purpose built, dedicated UI layer for the console, and instead uses a **very* general purpose UI layer (UWP XAML) that is optimised for general UI development and doesn't - and won't - have any specific low level, case by case optimisation

It doesn't take away from the larger point, but I believe the new Xbox UI is actually built on React Native.

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously not a huge issue but as someone who has both PS5 and Series X it's VERY apparent that the Series X dash is low res when you're constantly switching between the two like I am. I do like the default dynamic background don't get me wrong but man the PS5 dash is so clean and sexy and the text and tiles are super crisp. BTW what's up with the latest 'dynamic themes' on Series X? All of them look like blurry shit compared to the default one.
No, we know why it was done and the reason behind it was the correct choice.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think the Xbox dashboard is probably the best it's ever been right now. It's certainly the strongest I've used on any Xbox One console. Fewer style edits and more ensuring speed and stability.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't take away from the larger point, but I believe the new Xbox UI is actually built on React Native.

The PC and mobile apps are (for easy cross platform UI), but the console side is still vanilla XAML. But regardless, React Native on Windows actually renders using UWP XAML anyway so even if they did (if they wanted to make performance and animations worse), it would still render with the same tech.

That said, the new console store might be written with React Native (and XAML rendered) - I'll have to double check. But the dash are everything else definitely are not.

EDIT: The new console store is React Native (rendered in XAML), and everything else is vanilla XAML (with a couple of legacy HTML views lying around)

Last edited:

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
I dont care tbh. I dont play the dash, I honestly dont care that its 4K on my PS5. I navigate to my games and thats it.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Couldnt care less about UIs or their res. I know this is an enthusiast forum, but fawning over them here, makes me chuckle.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Performance aside, I'd just be happy if the dashboard was in HDR so every time I jump between a game and the dashboard my tv/receiver/Xbox don't have to renegotiate for a second.
PS4 Pro used to do this and I hated it, I'm glad PS5's dash is 4k with HDR and stays consistent when running a game and jumping back to the dash.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
The new systems came in hot, I would think this is low on the priority list of things to do but that's just me.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Yes it looks shitty, esp. coming off a beautiful game like Fenyx Rising., also add hdr.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like the option to "wrap" the main interface in an HDR envelope (like the PS5), just because I've seen some displays stick in the wrong mode when you bounce back-and-forth between the system menu and an HDR game. I don't care about the better resolution if there's any downside to it. That said, I'd definitely take a 4K interface, it's just low priority for me, personally.