• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LonelyGay

May 18, 2019
Put me in the team of people who would love the UI to be in 4K. I'm such a 4K slut. Anything less than 1440p makes my eyes bleed at this point. :(

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Because the UI is built off last gen and still needs to function for last gen i figure they put their effort into functionality and stability over high res and undercooked like the ps5. It does what it needs to and does it well and since you spend 99% of your time consuming content it's not a huge deal being lower res.

A year from now when xbox one becomes a legacy device im sure well see a 4k redesign.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Trolling, antagonising other users
It looks good with the new dynamic background but have you seen PS5? It's so sharp.

Lots of jaggies (in the swirl) on my Series X dynamic dash though. I wasn't even aware the dash isn't 4K, but that must be the reason...

Didn't DF say that by not doing that more power was available to devs? I have a Series S, but still, a 4K UI is like at the bottom of the list for things I would want. 1080p is fine.

DF are nice guys with a cool channel, but Gosh they are just fanboys of pretty graphics without ANY real developer know how. Fact.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Based on this it sounds like the ram allocation is the same as the PS4. So 3.5 I guess?

I was concerned that such a rich level of functionality may well be taking system resources away from the game developer, whether that's in terms of CPU time, GPU or memory. Sony isn't giving away any numbers on what the system allocation is, and neither is it confirming how much useable space is available on the SSD. However, the aim is to deliver the new features with the same kind of system allocation developers currently work with on current-gen platforms.

"Hardware resource is limited and defined, and it's shared between the game and our system side," confirms Hideaki Nishino. "We define how much of the resource can be spent by the system side, but it's a similar amount [to] what we are doing with PlayStation 4. That's a philosophical thing: we are trying to give as much power and resource as possible back to the game side, because the game is the core, and then we bring Control Centre and Activity Cards while minimising the [system] resources we spend."

www.eurogamer.net

Our first look at the PlayStation 5 user interface - and it could be a game-changer

When was the last time we saw a game-changing reveal in the immediate run-up to the launch of a next generation console…
It's 3GB on PS4.

Dec 13, 2018
I find it jarring switching between consoles , I mean it's supposed to be the beast multi-platform box and while getting parity and beyond on games should be priority one, once they get their tools in order and optimize the runtime a bit it would be nice not to be greeted by a comparatively rougher looking menu.

I get the barebones "just games" mentality, but I always felt like Microsoft was amazing at services and quality of life stuff beyond just games. The packaging even and Lux feel of the series x is applauded, why not the menu I spend a good chunk of time using. If you can't tell the difference, why not get a series s and save some money?

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
1080p content just doesn't look great on a 4k tv.
it's always nice to have an OS that can run native resolution.

But, probably not something you'd notice unless you had both consoles.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
The current dashboard doesn't bother me in the least. I suspect that many people who are bothered only know it's 1080p because they've been told.

Either way, I'd rather the memory was reserved for games.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The PS5 Dashboard is also a skeleton of a system UI, like, it's about the minimum level of function you could possibly expect of a console. It's a silly comparison.
Naaah, dashboard might be plain, but it's got the entire PS store embedded into it, not to mention the activity and game help system.

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
Performance aside, I'd just be happy if the dashboard was in HDR so every time I jump between a game and the dashboard my tv/receiver/Xbox don't have to renegotiate for a second.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Kinda.. it's not really the resolution of the OS in particular though, it's more I notice when a pop out window appears I can notice its low res briefly.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
But why?

I don't even spend 1 minute on the dashboard. I load up a game and that's it. Why spend resources on making the UI pretty when they could go to the games.

Nov 1, 2017
Of all the things to give a shit about this has got to be right at the bottom for me. They could have the UI at 720p for all I care, and if not having a 4K UI means that games run a bit better, even marginally, then it's definitely the right decision.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Naaah, dashboard might be plain, but it's got the entire PS store embedded into it, not to mention the activity and game help system.
Did you really just compare having the store right there a click away as if the Xbox dash does not? Activity cards aren't part of the dash, the popup menu is something the Xbox has had forever, no no activity cards, but it has everything else

0ean

Banned
Jan 30, 2019
Functionality over definition.

The UI is snappy and fine as it is.

My biggest console/gaming concern is that Cyberpunk 2077 will be 30fps. It will be a huge rough ride coming from 120fps on COD & Gears 5. Can see that cutting some marks on review scoring.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Performance aside, I'd just be happy if the dashboard was in HDR so every time I jump between a game and the dashboard my tv/receiver/Xbox don't have to renegotiate for a second.
Damn, that'd be a nice feature too, make starting a game even smoother than it already is
I hate this. It's so jarring to see constantly.

No, no, no, no, nooooooooooo.

Ps5 does this and it is bad. Sure its ok if every game you are playing supports HDR but if the game is simply sdr, all the colours and so on is wrong when it is put into a hdr container.

Ps5 did a good thing in making their dash 4k but to force every game in hdr is not good.

Saying that though I do like ms concept of auto hdr with backwards compatible games (it seems they've done some intelligent system there, that Sony hasnt) but Sony's concept of forcing everything into a hdr container is bad and hurts my eyes. Case in point, I play a lot of Fortnite, it doesn't support hdr but ps5 forces it into it and it just looks wrong and hurts my eyes. So I have to play it on series x where it doesn't force it into hdr container and it doesn't hurt my eyes.

I do not want ms to force things into a hdr container like ps5.

Its the same thing with things like Netflix on the xbox one before (and maybe series x still?). It forced everything into hdr even content that wasn't encoded for it and made the colours wrong. Much better to watch it on something like apple TV 4k which allows for frame rate and content matching which played hdr content in hdr and sdr content in sdr. Sure it has a black screen switch but you're getting content the way it was meant to be seen.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Iono about this one.

Devs might not even use the extra RAM or whatever they are freeing up, devs wouldn't mind having more available but it doesn't mean it will be utilized.

The Series X is totally capable of managing great looking games and a 4K UI. Not a huge knock on the console, but it seems like an odd choice to me.

Oct 25, 2017
4k tv here and I don't think I've even noticed it, it doesn't bother me at all. Ps5 dash looks great, xsx dash looks great to me

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
No, no, no, no, nooooooooooo.

Ps5 does this and it is bad. Sure its ok if every game you are playing supports HDR but if the game is simply sdr, all the colours and so on is wrong when it is put into a hdr container.

Ps5 did a good thing in making their dash 4k but to force every game in hdr is not good.

Saying that though I do like ms concept of auto hdr with backwards compatible games (it seems they've done some intelligent system there, that Sony hasnt) but Sony's concept of forcing everything into a hdr container is bad and hurts my eyes. Case in point, I play a lot of Fortnite, it doesn't support hdr but ps5 forces it into it and it just looks wrong and hurts my eyes. So I have to play it on series x where it doesn't force it into hdr container and it doesn't hurt my eyes.

I do not want ms to force things into a hdr container like ps5.

Its the same thing with things like Netflix on the xbox one before (and maybe series x still?). It forced everything into hdr even content that wasn't encoded for it and made the colours wrong. Much better to watch it on something like apple TV 4k which allows for frame rate and content matching which played hdr content in hdr and sdr content in sdr. Sure it has a black screen switch but you're getting content the way it was meant to be seen.

Considering a lot of BC titles do auto HDR and a lot of new titles have native HDR - I'm happy to have it renegotiate when it's playing SDR content in whatever I'm playing/watching. I wouldn't think it has to be one or the other.

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
So, with quick resume and so forth, I don't understand why this can't be done. The entire game state can be saved to the SSD in a few seconds and allow you to load up another one. Why can't we have:

1. If no games are running, the OS uses an extra 1gb of the RAM currently sitting unused to render at 4K
2. If a game is running, and you go back to the OS, swap 1gb or so of the game's RAM allocation on to the SSD, just as quick resume does, which should take like 1/4 of a second, and give that extra RAM to the OS to render in 4K? It should only take 1/4 of a second to swap this back in when you resume the game, which is essentially too short to really even notice.

If quick resume can store and load entire RAM dumps of games on the SSD in seconds, I don't understand why 1GB couldn't be freed up dynamically. Heck, since the SSD is so fast, why do game tile images need to sit in RAM at all?

Does Windows use a lot more RAM when you render it at 4K instead of 1080p on desktop?

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's unnoticeable and it leaves more resources available for games; so I don't care if it stays the way it is.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Can someone with a better understanding of rasterization please explain to me how rendering what looks like mostly simple, non-shaded 2D shapes in 4K vs 1080p would consume an additional 1GB of RAM?
The easy answer, the whole UI isn't a raster, there is numerous graphical assets such as game box art, backgrounds, and fonts can be cached as images rather than rastered to keep draw calls efficient. For 4K to have any effect all of these assets would need to be stored and cached with 4K in mind as well, and all such elements especially with alpha channels all adds up fast.

Also keep in mind that VRAM on consoles is shared with the system, not dedicated.

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
It's annoying because my tv spams instant game on alll the time and flickers going back and forth between it and games. It's great ui though

OP
OP
SRTtoZ

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I find it jarring switching between consoles , I mean it's supposed to be the beast multi-platform box and while getting parity and beyond on games should be priority one, once they get their tools in order and optimize the runtime a bit it would be nice not to be greeted by a comparatively rougher looking menu.

I get the barebones "just games" mentality, but I always felt like Microsoft was amazing at services and quality of life stuff beyond just games. The packaging even and Lux feel of the series x is applauded, why not the menu I spend a good chunk of time using. If you can't tell the difference, why not get a series s and save some money?

Yea it's just unfortunate that their new next gen console 4k/120, 8k compatible, "most powerful console in the world", is running a 1080p dashboard. Gimme Native Resolution Phil.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
yeah put me in the group of thinking its not up to basic standard in 2020s to not have a native ui, while your competition somehow figured it out last gen with much less ram. (not even counting my appletv)

and if you need an extra 1gb for it, that sounds more like you have bigger issues with your os too.

also this tools excuse at every ms related thread is getting old pretty fast

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
It's not a big deal but it's so noticeable. Those fonts and icons looks bad on a 4K display imho.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on a 1080p display, so don't really care. Resolution matters very little to me

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
2. If a game is running, and you go back to the OS, swap 1gb or so of the game's RAM allocation on to the SSD, just as quick resume does, which should take like 1/4 of a second, and give that extra RAM to the OS to render in 4K? It should only take 1/4 of a second to swap this back in when you resume the game, which is essentially too short to really even notice.
This is what's known as page swapping. This would only be performant if you suspended the application (page swapping a real time application is hella slow, even with an SSD), which you can't do because you can't assume the state is suspendable in such a short space of time, say if you were in a multiplayer game. If your answer to that is "just don't do it when you're in multiplayer", well that's a problem because when are you in multiplayer? You'd think that would be clear cut but it's actually not a definable state.

Oct 29, 2017
No. The current one is fine.

Don't waste system resources on something so completely frivolous and unneccessary. That was what the Wii U did. You don't want to be like the Wii U... do you?