• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is the absence of a black PS5 variant a factor in you holding off on buying one?

• Yes

Votes: 159 14.8%
  • No

Votes: 915 85.2%

• Total voters

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not generally one to jump on a new console at launch unless there is some killer-app that I just can't wait to play (e.g. Breath of the Wild launching with the Switch), but with the PS5 I was tempted because I could take advantage of some generous trade-in specials toward the new console. After all, since it will have near-total backwards compatibility with my PS4 library, I'll have no reason whatsoever to hold on to my PS4 Pro that sounds like a goddamn jet engine any time I play something in 4K/HDR.

I've also owned every Sony console since the PS1, so it's pretty much a given that I'll get a PS5 at some point because I tend to love the first- and third-party support that Sony consoles get.

But as superficial as it sounds, I simply can't bring myself to get a PS5 until there is a black variant.

Vh6eSp4siwggK7RUys72nP.jpg

Why doesn't this exist? Surely it will at some point, right?

I kind of loathe the hardware design in general for the PS5, but I'd be able to overlook it if the console and controller were black. I like all of my consoles black, for the most part. I don't want this big, fugly, white monstrosity taking up a cubby in my entertainment center. It sounds extreme, I know, but I really don't like white electronics.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Nah.

Because, of course, a black controller will happen.
And black side panels will be available on Ebay within weeks of release.

So, your white SKU is a black SKU

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Of course not lol. I love the new colorway. It's striking and bold.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the PS5 is basically a Switch in terms of customization. Just buy some matte black panels and replace the white ones. Boom, black PS5.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Nope, I don't care about that, but I think Ebay will sell those plates the same day the ps5 releases. The controller will come but not now.

nath999

May 7, 2018
Yikes why would I wait a year for a black model to come out? Punishing myself for aesthetics when the panels are detachable.

xoxoclvbs

Aug 1, 2020
Yes, that'd be fantastic (or black panels themselves maybe).

But, also because I'm waiting for GOW2 as well.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Uh they will 99.9% be selling replacement/custom side panels. Swap out the white panels for black ones and there's your black console. Hell you could paint them yourself for like $3

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't understand the "i won't buy until my hypothetical fanfiction comes true" mentality.
If all it takes is a colour swap, why wait?

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nah I may just spray paint the wings.

They could also easily pull a Xbox 360 and sell different color wings from their Direct website.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure there will be plates if you really want it in black.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
The black looks so much better. Can't imagine it'd be too difficult to paint them yourself with some quality stuff.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Sony would be stupid to not sell those panels in different colours for $80 each.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
No, I held off buying a PS4 until there was a white model.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, that's one reason. The real reason I'm holding off is because there's nothing I want to play on it.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry you missed it OP, but like others mentioned the panels are removable.

That's one of its coolest design features imo.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
ScOULaris my heart breaks for you that you skipped the whole console not knowing they made the white panels replaceable and customizable this gen

Jayveer

Oct 25, 2017
That was my plan when it was first announced, but then they announced that Demons Souls was releasing day one so I caved. Was so glad to see how easily removable the side panels are. Seems like they will already offer swappable panels, and if not I will either buy a skin or spray paint them. Hopefully they release a black controller in the future too.

renx

Jan 3, 2020
The difference between a white and a black PS5 will be the panels, and I'm sure panels will be cheap, and there will be many to choose.
We won't need to paint the plastic and make a mess.
This is great because that way we'll be able to keep the PS5 in pristine condition through the whole generation, in case of little accidents, scratches, etc.

Mr Robot

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I plan on buying a dbrand skin for it, my xbox one x came in white because gamestop was out of black at the time so i just bought a black skin still looks great

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
I mean you can easily change the panels.

Honestly you buy store bought spray canisters that work on plastic and it'll be indistinguishable from the real thing. I have no experience in this but wqtched a few youtube vids and re sprayed a bike for my 5 year old handed down by his cousin which was pink and purple to black and red and honestly it was a piece of cake.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
People will have those panels reverse engineered pretty quickly. There will probably be aftermarket ones up on AliExpress and the like within weeks of launch.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Black side panels will be easy to either customise yourself or buy within weeks of release. DBrand will be all over this already.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Imo the reason they go with white panels is white is neutral / colorless and is easier to customize to other colors.

Oct 24, 2019
the faceplates are swappable, so why wouldn't people just buy the standard white one and then swap to black if need be?

Similar to how people customize the look of their Switch with different colored Joy-Cons, I think we're going to see a lot of that happening with the PS5 faceplates as well