• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
In small amounts, sure. Usually as a part of an omurice or tomato + egg mix though.

You can stir fry rice with just about anything and as long as you don't overdo it, it can work more often than you think.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Works on most things honestly, just gets a bad rep "just because". Try ketchup on asparagus and thank me later.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to judge, but during my poorer and lazier college days I'd do soy sauce rice (not fried rice) with like an egg.

Isn't that just a japanese dish (tamago kake gohan)?

7KOJVeR.jpg

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I mean, it's basically a bastard sweet and sour sauce with tomato - there's no reason it doesn't work with rice. I probably had it that way as a kid (or just put straight soy sauce on it like the whitest person ever).

It's better than ketchup on spaghetti.

Oct 27, 2017
That is 4400 recepies for Ketchup Rice. Some of them are omurice, but many of them are pretty much just ketchup and rice, maybe some meat/veggies in there too. Although, I think it is pretty much universally accepted that you need to mix the ketchup into the rice and not just dump it all on top, mayonnaise is more the topping for that use case.
I think that's the disconnect

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm eating something fried with white rice like fried chicken or fried pork chops, then a little drizzle of ketchup on the rice tastes good to me. Not drenched in ketchup though. Just a little squirt mixed in with hot sauce is yummy.

Last edited:

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i did when i was a kid and one time i got really sick after and never did again. i know it likely had nothing to do with the rice and ketchup but the connection made me not want do it as a kid. no reason to do that as an adult.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I do it all the time with white rice, along with hot sauce.

If it's flavored rice (like yellow rice or from Rice-A-Roni or Knorr), I don't, as there's no need for ketchup on it when it tastes good all on it's own.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Never tried it, but I guess it wouldn't be that different from all the potato things I put it on, I'll have to try it out sometime

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
My big brother did this and I, in turn, did it for years because I wanted to emulate him, until I was old enough to realize that I was spitting in the eye of God and immediately stopped my sacrilege.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Its apparently a common thing to do with Fried rice in India.

Whenever we have fried rice, my wife always asks me if I want Ketchup...I'm like I'm good....

I had it once in India and it was....interesting.