• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
I have tried everything: I have tried AirPods, I have the Sony WF-1000XM3, I have Anker ones, I have Tronsmart... I have small, medium, and large silicone and foam tips.

No matter that I use, my ears start hurting and I get headaches. I have no problems at all with over-the-ear headphones, just with earbuds.

Anyone else with the same problem?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I like the plastic tips of the airpods/earpods but all earbuds with those "grippy" silicone tips are super uncomfortable after about 10 minutes.

71TDJO3MIoL._AC_SX425_.jpg

I had a set of the BeatsX earbuds and returned them after two days because they never quite felt right.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Me.

They all fall out.

They have to fit around the ear this way for me to use them:

images

Yep, regular earbuds are a no go 100% of the time. Only time I'm somewhat okay with them is if they do the ear hook thing like this, but even then, the earbud part itself is usually still uncomfortable.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Yup, I must have been born with an abnormal right ear since every headphone I have ever owned always disconnects on only that ear.

Want to buy the new pixel buds but I'm afraid it'll be the same situation as before.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Airpods work and a few others work for me. I tried the Pros and they hurt like hell among others.

If you're willing to shell out some cash you could get an imprint of your ears and get custom IEMs built. I have a set of high end ones that I've used for the last ~8yrs, perfect fit (since they're moulded after my ears) and all day comfort.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
I can wear them, but i really prefer not too.

Over the ear are much more comfortable though.

Oct 27, 2017
I've tried several skull candy varieties, an old Bose pair, and several pack ins that came free with my Galaxy phones over the years. They were all terrible and would slowly slip out when I'm just sitting at a desk. None of the silicone size fittings helped.

Last year I tried the Galaxy Buds which I mostly use when I go walking. They are the only pair I have ever used which feel secure in my ear. Reasonably comfortable and sound pretty good too.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Airpods fall out of my ears very easily. Ever since Apple made the EarPods in general I've had that issue.
Never have a problem with standard in ear ones. Over the top headphones are my preference but I do like sport earbuds when running

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
They always fall off for me which is why I've always used the bigger headphones that go over ears, but I needed blue tooth headphones for work, so I ended up finding some that has those half rings that go around your ears. Sadly there's still a wire connecting them together.

I was thinking about getting Raycons but i don't want to have to buy some and turns out they don't fit well and fall out of my ear.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Apple buds are the only that work well for me. I can't stand the ones you really stick in your ears. Feels like I'm going to pierce my eardrum or something.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm the opposite. I cannot wear over ear headphones. No matter what kind of cushioning or sizing or whatever, the headband gives me a headache after like 20-30 minutes. I can only use earbuds.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
All of them fall out of my ears with the exception of the design style used for the Google Pixel Buds (gen 1) and the Microsoft Surface Earbuds. The Surface buds are pretty damn comfortable too. But yeah, any earbuds with those eartip plugs pop right out during any minor jaw motion or perspiration.

I'd like to wear over the ear headphones more, but they're not as easily stowable when I'm out and about, I very often like to just have one ear covered which is awkward with them, and they're also uncomfortable because I wear glasses.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I can't wear the proper in ear ones. I find it very uncomfortable and weird that I can't hear anything other than my music.

I like some outside noise.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
They always cause my inner ear to start itching and if I don't stop using them eventually earache. Used over ear headphones for 15-20 years because of it.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
In ear earbuds are unwearable, I cannot understand why people like them. At best you just have to listen to the CONSTANT rustling noise of them rubbing around in your ear canal that drowns out what you're listening to and at worst they're super uncomfortable and make your ears ache to boot. I'll keep using these traditional style of earbuds with slightly larger heads and foam pads, thanks. We could use a specific name for them because it's annoying trying to search for "earbuds" and getting nothing but the in-ear ones.
VZdIl6x.jpg

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yep!

One of my ears is mishapen, just in a way so I can't wear an earbud in it. Not a problem, I use aftershockz.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I have a hard time using anything else - especially the older style earbuds (like the original iPod ones) that kind of hook into your ear and rub it raw with its metal cheesegrater.

My ears are a slightly different size, though, and getting replacement silicone tips can help a lot. I can get by with the regular ones (usually medium in one ear and large in another) but the triple-tipped kind may be more comfortable for some people.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Yep no earbuds stay in. Closest I could get to that is the Powerbeats even though I wish I could use the little Galaxy Buds.

Gabriel

Oct 25, 2017
I can deal with earbuds in my left ear, but in the right ear? Unbearable pain after about 30 minutes. Earbuds are trash.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I have tried everything: I have tried AirPods, I have the Sony WF-1000XM3, I have Anker ones, I have Tronsmart... I have small, medium, and large silicone and foam tips.

No matter that I use, my ears start hurting and I get headaches. I have no problems at all with over-the-ear headphones, just with earbuds.

Anyone else with the same problem?
Yes, but I put a pair of silicone wing grips on my AirPods (not the Pro, those stink for me because they go in the ear) and now they're great.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Yes! I don't know what the fuck I'm doing wrong, my right ear plays ball but my left ear will eject anything I put into it. There's no pain or discomfort as others have mentioned, it just squidges it out no matter what I do. The fucker.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
No issue with the regular Airpods. I forget they are in most of time time and will end up wearing them somewhere by mistake. I use Airpods Pro at work but I have to sit perfectly still for them to stay in.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Airpods are the only ones that have ever worked for me. I've bought dozens of in ears including AirPod pros and I can't wear them for more than 45 minutes without ears feeling sore.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
Most of them are so uncomfortable, the "regular" shape ones that are just basically flat and round are unwearable and hurt my ears, not to mention barely stay in, but these cheapo Panasonic ones that go right in the ear are supercomfy and never come out

Ki7yOHg.jpg

May 24, 2019
I haven't worn earbuds since the early 2000s but only because some slim over-ears will sound better and be more comfortable.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
In ear earbuds are unwearable, I cannot understand why people like them. At best you just have to listen to the CONSTANT rustling noise of them rubbing around in your ear canal that drowns out what you're listening to and at worst they're super uncomfortable and make your ears ache to boot. I'll keep using these traditional style of earbuds with slightly larger heads and foam pads, thanks. We could use a specific name for them because it's annoying trying to search for "earbuds" and getting nothing but the in-ear ones.
VZdIl6x.jpg
I think I just have weird shaped ears, because these fuckers right here literally cannot and will not fit in my ears. The modern version will fit, but like the OP, they get really uncomfortable really quick. I only wear them when I'm out and about with my phone, I use over-the-ear headphones at home.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
earbuds suck. even got some really good ones, but these are always so high pitched that I just get a sore ear from it and the sound becomes unbearable for longer than 30 min. I have colleagues who only use earbuds, as their main music listening device and I simply don't understand how they can tolerate them for so long.

Oct 26, 2017
They fall out of my ears constantly, and even with the ones that go around your ear, the actual buds don't sit well in my ears. Plus the sound quality of the earbuds I've tried sucks.

All I need is a pair of over the ear cans. Uh, so to speak.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
You're not alone OP. I've been told foam tips are better for people with wonky faces like us... but no idea, I've not bothered trying because I've tried an ungodly amount of other tips to no avail.

So now I have a horribly sweaty pair of over-ear headphones that I wear for all my gym work. They stink. :(

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I had this issue until I found myself in a situation where my ears being incredibly painful from having AirPods in for 6 hour stints was better than the alternative of not having something to listen to, so I just did that for like 2-3 months straight and the problem solved itself.

When I got new AirPod Pro's a few months ago, they were also leaving my ears mildly sore (not nearly to the extent the first pair did), but that went away after about a week as well.

I'm not saying it's worth suffering through it just for some earbuds, but in my case it kind of was. Your ears definitely adapt.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I hate them with a passion. I love my over the ear closed cup headphones.

I only use them when mowing (earbuds I mean).