• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FOr the last 2 days I haven't been able to play ANY game on GamePass PC. Games launch and then quit as if I'm failing an auth/DRM check. Microsoft support has, so far, ignored me completely and I'm just trying to figure out if this is a "me" issue or a "them" issue.

SOLVED!

My computer clock has always been ahead by 2 hours so I manually adjusted it. Setting my time and date settings to "Set Automatically" fixed the issue. WTF.

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I just loaded it up and launched Ori with no issues, so here's at least one vote for "might just be a you issue". Sorry!

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Working fine for me, last couple of days I beat Reach and started Frostpunk. I got an error once related to xbox live when starting Frostpunk, but just restarting the game fixed it.

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to download Children of Morta many times on the day it was added. No luck. The next day it worked. Who knows why. Gamepass PC remains a gamble.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Literally just played through RiME last night, and finished The Outer Worlds the day before. Now... cloud saves have been weird between my Laptop and Desktop, but that's the only issue I've had lately.

Oct 27, 2017
• Reinstall Windows and create a new account
• Purchase an Xbox and forget about PC gaming
• Call the priest to bless your hardware
• Time travel 20 years into the future to have the functional launcher

One of those should help. Seriously, Xbox support isn't going to help, they are as clueless as everyone else at Microsoft why their downloads/apps have these issues for 5+ years.

Try doing the basic trouble-shooting: resetting the store, resetting account regions and reinstalling Xbox app. Though I must warn you: there are people who couldn't fix random errors and simply gave up on Xbox App/Win Store entirely.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
• Reinstall Windows and create a new account
• Purchase an Xbox and forget about PC gaming
• Call the priest to bless your hardware
• Time travel 20 years into the future to have the functional launcher

One of those should help. Seriously, Xbox support isn't going to help, they are as clueless as everyone else at Microsoft why their downloads/apps have these issues for 5+ years.

Try doing the basic trouble-shooting: resetting the store, resetting account regions and reinstalling Xbox app. Though I must warn you: there are people who couldn't fix random errors and simply gave up on Xbox App/Win Store entirely.
this post is funny, sad... and true

the windows store is so awful

OP
OP

Deleted member 18179

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on Day 4 of not being able to play anything. I spent over an hour with tech support yesterday trying all kinds of stuff. They told me to "just wait and it should be fixed", but it's now been 48 hours since. I feel crazy.

I also can't update or download anything new. Yesterday I could update and download but nothing would launch. This is such a bummer.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I might have had that issue or a similar one and when I went into the settings, it said something about not being able to find my subscriptions. I couldn't start or download anything. Posted about it in the Game Pass thread.

Microsoft support was obscenely difficult to contact here in Denmark, but before getting ahold of them, I saw an old thread on Reddit where someone encountered something kinda similar and what worked for them (and me), was signing out of the Microsoft store and signing back in again. Not the Xbox app, though do that afterwards, but the store itself.

If that doesn't work I have no other suggestions :(

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I've thought about just cancelling because I have all kinds of weird issues. I had to play through The Gardens Between in one sitting because it just would not save.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
FOr the last 2 days I haven't been able to play ANY game on GamePass PC. Games launch and then quit as if I'm failing an auth/DRM check. Microsoft support has, so far, ignored me completely and I'm just trying to figure out if this is a "me" issue or a "them" issue.

Hey OP, this does sound like a licensing issue. Do you regularly sign into the Microsoft store and/or download games on other PCs?

- First off, make sure your PC is online (I know, it should be obvious, but this happens to me. It would also be smart to make your current PC your offline PC)
- Try logging in to Game Pass amd the MS syore with the same gamertag with the game pass subscription
- Try installing any new game
- See if that new game works
- If it does, re-try playing your other games. If that diesn't work, try redownloading one of your older games.

If none of that works, go to
> the account page for the gamertag
> Go to Devices, and try removing other PC devices from your account, until less than 10 active devices are left
> Try downloading another game

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
There are too many weird little issues.

I ended up just subbing to origin Access Basic.

I don't understand why these issues persist with a company with such a clear vision for being the Netflix for gaming. Other clients might have their own issues, but at least you can typically download your game and play it. Why is this so difficult for them? And why let it persist for so long you risk becoming known for things not working?

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why these issues persist with a company with such a clear vision for being the Netflix for gaming. Other clients might have their own issues, but at least you can typically download your game and play it. Why is this so difficult for them? And why let it persist for so long you risk becoming known for things not working?
I assume it's because the issues are deeply tied into the guts of the operating system and they've had users upgrading from all different versions to Windows 10, making the problem more complicated than it appears.

This isn't an excuse for them, I've had an error-full experience with gamepass pc each of the 3 times I've subbed and it's baffling. I'm just saying I can see why it's a harder problem to solve than Steam or another store that isn't deeply integrated into the OS.

But also they are fucking Microsoft and should be able to fix it.

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
I had an issue where I couldn't get the app to download games and would give an error. I tried a lot of things and I think this one did the trick but can't be certain. YMMV
  • Run 'services.msc'
  • Sort the list by name and scroll to the bottom for the Xbox services.
  • Start all of them that aren't running
Hopefully that works for you.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18179

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I might have had that issue or a similar one and when I went into the settings, it said something about not being able to find my subscriptions. I couldn't start or download anything. Posted about it in the Game Pass thread.

Microsoft support was obscenely difficult to contact here in Denmark, but before getting ahold of them, I saw an old thread on Reddit where someone encountered something kinda similar and what worked for them (and me), was signing out of the Microsoft store and signing back in again. Not the Xbox app, though do that afterwards, but the store itself.

If that doesn't work I have no other suggestions :(

So, weirdly I did this. ANd it worked for one game, one time and the stopped. Sigh,

OP
OP

Deleted member 18179

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had an issue where I couldn't get the app to download games and would give an error. I tried a lot of things and I think this one did the trick but can't be certain. YMMV
  • Run 'services.msc'
  • Sort the list by name and scroll to the bottom for the Xbox services.
  • Start all of them that aren't running
Hopefully that works for you.

They were all running. I tried all the combos of stopping/restarting them. No dice.

I think I just need to cancel GamePass which sucks, I really liked it!

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
I got gamepass today and downloaded Metro Exodus on PC but the game wont even start.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Today when I opened the app it said there was an issue with my account that needed to be fixed by clicking the button. After that clicking Play on a game took me to a Game Pass signup page, but on the next click it started.

Oct 25, 2017
What I wonder the most is why Microsoft insists on having these extremely harsh restrictions on everything in Microsoft Store. That damn store protects your game files harder than critical OS files. They're hell-bent on stopping you from modding games.

Because all your game files are inaccessible, this also means that if you have issues with the store, you're pretty much screwed. Bethesda.net was buggy (the Fallout 76 uninstaller didn't work) but you could still delete that game manually. No such luck on Microsoft Store because you're not allowed to do anything to your games' files. There was even a thread about people having issues deleting games where they get deleted from the Xbox app but the space doesn't get freed up.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a solution that I found on a random MS help forum thread and it seemed to solve my problem a few months ago when I couldn't download most games.

Go to Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in options, scroll down to Privacy, uncheck "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device and reopen my apps after and update or restart."

Restart computer, probably.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I had a similar issue a month or 2 ago, where nothing would authenticate, it acted as if I wasn't subscribed even though it showed the subscription on my account. I reinstalled the app, I logged out/back in, I ran as admin, cleared out all hidden and temp files, followed all sorts of troubleshooting ideas, nothing worked. Luckily it was right before a hardware upgrade and when I installed the app on a fresh copy of windows everything worked just fine. I don't know if it was a coincidence and they fixed some authentication on their end or if it really was the format/reinstall of windows that did it. My suspicion is it was some sort of profile corruption that I couldn't clear out/force refresh with their serves, but that's based on...nothing, I guess.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18179

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a solution that I found on a random MS help forum thread and it seemed to solve my problem a few months ago when I couldn't download most games.

Go to Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in options, scroll down to Privacy, uncheck "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device and reopen my apps after and update or restart."

Restart computer, probably.

I don't see the "Sign in Options" option anymore.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
There are too many weird little issues.

I ended up just subbing to origin Access Basic.
7 out of the 9 games on gamepass that I've completed have had major issues. The only ones that worked flawlessly were Timespinner and Sunset Overdrive. The fact that I can't even report crashes or bugs on the platform is a real problem.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18179

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SOLVED!

My computer clock has always been ahead by 2 hours so I manually adjusted it. Setting my time and date settings to "Set Automatically" fixed the issue. WTF.