• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dookeh

Oct 27, 2017
I've been feeling the same as you, OP. It's necessary, but it's definitely been daunting mentally and emotionally. The extent of my time out of the home has been to grab lunch or do grocery/supply runs.

I think the closure of gyms has been the hardest. Nine and a half years of lifting 3x/week and a shelter in place is what took me down. I was expecting some major back injury or something to be what kept me from the gym for a while, but not this. :(

It made me realize how much of a benefit lifting's been for my overall health beyond any body composition benefits.
I do my lifting at home, but I was training hard for an mtb enduro race this spring and ignored my usual back pain and ended up herniating a disc in my back at the beginning of March. It was the most painful thing I've ever gone through. This happened less than 2 weeks before the race, and less than 3 weeks before I was supposed to spend a week and a half on the beach in Brazil. I had to miss the race, and the trip was cancelled due to covid. I was already bedridden and off work for 3 weeks prior to the shelter-in place order. It was sort of a nice guilt free gaming month, but I'm finally coming out the other side of the injury and I'm so ready to get back to lifting. First order of business is to tighten up my core and hips because I've learned the hard way what it can do to a cyclist if you dont prioritize them--or maybe it's hereditary idk. I thought I did "enough" core work but I was wrong apparently.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Took me about a week, but I'm finally taking advantage of the free time and working out at home.....push ups and ab work, about 3 times a day.

Now step two is to finally start my backlogs on TV shows and Gaming...... instead of just watching the news and posting on Era. šŸ˜¬

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
It's the easiest shit ever.

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I have an energetic toddler who is going stir crazy and in the middle of potty training so yeah. This sucks but at least I'm not sick, or dead, or having to be in a hospital dealing with sick or dead people. Props to those going through actual hardships.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is my natural state. I'm ahead of the curve. If I didn't have to go to work. I legit could be locked up inside for months and be fine.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I've been stuck at home, for the most part, for about 3 years. It is rough at first. I was so stir crazy.

Best advice I can give you is to keep busy. The more you have in front of you, the less you have to think about what's going on.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Staying at home is the easy part, going to the store is the part thats different, since most of the time the things you are looking for are out of stock.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I wish I could self isolate or at least isolate at home I mean.

At the very least I get to work from home this week...

Edit: I guess I was kinda self isolating last two days considering I was the only one working from the office lol....got to be able to actually do some tickets that were pending and finished up computers for repairs I was working but stopped due to the whole Coronavirus issue.

Staying at home is the easy part, going to the store is the part thats different, since most of the time the things you are looking for are out of stock.

Tell me about it....

Last edited:

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
My dog is having a bad time with it that's for sure. I have a very gregarious dog whom all our neighbors know and he has a lot of doggy friends in our complex who play together. Now when we walk him, he will see one of his friends/neighbors off in the distance and then try to either pull us over or just plop down onto the pavement. When they don't approach or we're forced to walk in a different direction, he'll start to literally cry. I genuinely feel bad because he doesn't understand what's going on.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I was going to travel up to NH to golf today. The place had a lot of precautions so I felt ok about it. They shut it all down at midnight last night. šŸ˜­
I'll live and there are/have been worse things but I've already been cooped up since last August with a back injury then unemployment.
Losing my mind. Watching Tiger King helps.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
I've literally had to change nothing.

and also HOORAY for personal space becoming a thing again, really hope it sticks around when this is all over.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Yep. My biggest trigger of my depression and anxiety, by far, is being at home.

I have absolutely no privacy here either so I can't video call my friends or anything and I'm getting huge FOMO seeing my friends do it.

Jabronium

Oct 26, 2017
I'm doing fine. Work has been bonkers for the last couple weeks since I got the wfh order but otherwise, no big deal on my end. My wife, on the other hand, is losing her mind, and *that* is wearing on me.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I've been a homebody for awhile now so it's really not a big deal for me. Plus I just had ankle surgery and have 7 more weeks of no weight-bearing so I was going to be mostly confined to my house anyway before this pandemic shit hit the fan.

I do think that if I had to isolate in a cramped apartment instead of a ~2000 sq ft home though i would not be able to handle it nearly as well as I am currently. I feel for the folks that have to bunker down in non-ideal living spaces. I've been taking this opportunity to catch up on my rather large movie/tv/video game backlog, among other things.

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
honestly doesn't feel that different from what i'm used to right now, but then again i'm still going into work and seeing people so my experience of true self-isolation hasn't hit me yet.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
It's difficult for me on a number of levels. One: because I straight up can't isolate myself, since I work at a hospital, and will be going to work through this whole thing. Fortunately I work in an area where I'm completely by myself, so I'll be limited exposure at least. And two: I am one of those introverts who normally does stay home too much, and I usually kinda forced myself to get up and go outside because I felt like I was wasting my time by not going out and seeing the sun. Society feels like it looks down on us loners who stay indoors, and now that the world is telling me to stay indoors, it feels like a hard thing to do. Like I"m doing something wrong, even though I'm not.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Opposite for me. Having actual agoraphobia, this is like being forced to be comfy.

I don't like the pandemic part at all, but I like being holed up with my family.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Take a walk. Avoid other people and you should be fine.

Or take a bike ride if you have a bike.

Messofanego

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If I lived alone, I could see it being hard but I would still find enjoyment from video conferencing family and friends. Making a routine of house work, walks, exercise, and reading/watching/playing makes it easier. The idea of watching a movie together through video conference sounds fun, like a mini cinema!

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
You can take a walk.
Sit in your garden or balcony.
Videoconference friends and family.
Play online games with chat.

People from work have set up videoconferences for lunch, tea-time, playing animal crossing, etc. You can have someone set up a virtual coffeemachine/watercooler room.

Take the time to clean/repair things around the house. Ask people for tips. Show progress online.
Take up a hobby (play music, build plastic model kits, painting, crocheting, etc). Show your creations off.

Satori

Nov 13, 2017
I am perfectly within my comfort zone. As long as I can get some kind of physical exercise in I am good. Plus with the care of an elderly father with chronic issues and young son with a weakened immune system I really do not have a choice of not being self-isolated for their sake. So even if I am not ok with it, I just have to be.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Inappropriate and irresponsible behaviour
Have you tried being drunk or mind altering drugs?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I live in the burbs with my family and I can work from home so it's almost like the weirdest vacation ever.

But remembering when I lived in an apartment by myself this would be rough for me too. At least we have a lot of ways to connect with people via technology now.

For me I would figure out some routine and try to have some treat for myself every day (movie, new game, favorite meal, etc.) to keep things moving.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
as someone who has a chronic illness that keeps me bedbound for 20+ hours a day I have been practically "self isolating" at home for over a decade now.
I guess you could say I'm an expert at this, so I'll try to come up with some basic advice.

1. Keep a regular sleeping routine. This is really important, it's very easy to just wake up later and later until you are suddenly up all night and questioning everything about your life.
2. Plan out your day, with a mix of things that need to be done and things that you enjoy doing. Make a list if you have to.
3. Learn something every day. Pick something you always wanted to learn and do half an hour every day. There are loads of free options online, whether guided courses or just youtube videos.
4. Widen your interests. If you just do one thing over and over you'll drive yourself crazy. So read a book, cook a new recipe, watch an episode of a TV show, play a video game etc etc for an hour or so each. Distracting yourself all day until it's time for bed!

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly... I have so much stuff to do. Entertainment wise I have PS4 with some games, also Netflix, Disney+.. I also have stuff to do in house and my phone is constantly ringing with Watsapp messages. So I still have little time to get bored.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm working on my novel more and gaming the rest of the day. Shit rules tbh

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Me and my SO are really outgoing and spend every weekend doing something outside but these past weekends have been fun and great for our relationship. Animal Crossing also helping haha v

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
OP I understand since my mental health which was never exceptionally great has been in a decline the last 2 weeks too.

I'd be OK w/being totally alone in a apt but I'm not instead I'm in a small studio w/others where I have zero personal space. I dislike virtual classes like the poor combo audio quality and awk webcam moments I'm just asking myself why do I even bother for the rest of the semester. I'm OK w/just submitting in essays and waiting for the professor to grade it.

FWIW: I'm a introverted person but going outside and seeing how empty the streets are and grocery stores being closed is depressing.

Although I'm on discord all the time since effort I feel like I'm bothering my friends if I contact them every day b/c I'm bored šŸ¤”

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Without games it would be a pain in the arse. I still can go to work, so basically it changed very little for me so far.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I've been going to work so yes it's been literally impossible. But I told my boss I'm going on leave starting monday.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Im more than 2 weeks not going out of my house

and yes its driving me insane and sometimes i even get depressed but I always just think shits would get better in time

and if i go out recklessly things would be worst not just for me but for other people too

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I'm on my fourth day and I'm already completely miserable. I just want to see my girlfriend and my coworkers/lab mates, exercise outside and just do stuff. I already video call quite a bit but it's not the same thing at all.

At best I've got to last another 3.5 weeks of this shit, but probably more. I don't know how I'm going to do it.

My mental health was very bad towards the end of last year and just when I thought I had completely recovered this happens... Most of my mitigation strategies relied on getting out of the house, meeting people, and keeping busy. I want to stay okay...

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Yeah. If this was 2 years ago this would be pretty easy. But I'm supposed to be traveling all this year and I still want to. It's killing me lol.

I've been stuck at my parents house for more than 2 weeks though. Maybe itd be better if I was stuck with friends or something

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
I am worried that this does not bother me AT ALL. My wife is ready to start clawing at the walls, and my FB feed is full of people seemingly losing their minds and are about to jump out of a window.

Maybe all my friends who call themselves such introverts really are not as introverted as they claim to be.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Personal struggle, especially regarding mental health, is not something that can be compared. Y'all who are finding it easy right now, great! Sharing that can give others hope. But it being easy for you does not make it easy for everyone, and saying so is dismissive, rude, and the opposite of what someone in OP's situation needs to hear.

Those giving tips on how you're dealing with the change, thank you.

Domino Theory

Ripple Effect Studios
Verified
Nov 6, 2017
I do my lifting at home, but I was training hard for an mtb enduro race this spring and ignored my usual back pain and ended up herniating a disc in my back at the beginning of March. It was the most painful thing I've ever gone through. This happened less than 2 weeks before the race, and less than 3 weeks before I was supposed to spend a week and a half on the beach in Brazil. I had to miss the race, and the trip was cancelled due to covid. I was already bedridden and off work for 3 weeks prior to the shelter-in place order. It was sort of a nice guilt free gaming month, but I'm finally coming out the other side of the injury and I'm so ready to get back to lifting. First order of business is to tighten up my core and hips because I've learned the hard way what it can do to a cyclist if you dont prioritize them--or maybe it's hereditary idk. I thought I did "enough" core work but I was wrong apparently.

Hope you're recovering. If anything time "off" will assist in recovery. Take it easy before jumping back into Squats and Deadlifts.