• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Premium for me, is well worth getting rid of the constant ads (which as of this year, apparently are going to get worse), and suddenly the other day, I got ads for it on my Xbox Series X app. Logged out, un/re-installed it, and tried a few combinations like that, and still getting them :/ Doesn't seem to happen on other consoles or even on phones.

The only thing online that I read on it (articles from every year for the past 3 years), seem to say that this just sort of happens and is a "bug". It's so annoying though, especially when you are paying for it not to :/

So, anyone else have this happen to them this week, or have any solutions on how to fix it on the primary console I watch it on?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Nope, as long as I'm logged in w my account that has premium.

Does it do it on anything besides the Xbox? Maybe it's just an error with that app.

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
Yep just had the same thing happen today while watching on my lg oled.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Hasn't been happening on any of my devices, thank fucking God.

That's the only reason I pay for it in the first place.

wedge55

Oct 30, 2017
This started happening to me today on my Samsung TV. Interestingly, any videos I watch where I get an ad don't show up in my history, like YouTube wasn't aware I was logged into my account for that video.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
YouTube can't even get my blocked channels list right, so I don't expect it to even get that right.

***Block channel***
"What's that? You want MORE of this channel, well let us shove it in your face then!"
*Youtube fills the entire recommended videos list with channels you've blocked*

I swear they're doing this for shits and giggles.

OP
OP
Curler

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
This started happening to me today on my Samsung TV. Interestingly, any videos I watch where I get an ad don't show up in my history, like YouTube wasn't aware I was logged into my account for that video.

That's really interesting. Just checked the video history and looks to be the case. Huh...

Hope a solution can be found, because I don't expect a scripted CS worker be able to fix it past "log out and un/re-install".

Moodz

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have premium but 99% of the time I never got ads when I was casting from my phone to my android tv.
Now I've been getting ads constantly for a few days...

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
That would piss me off. I'll be honest, the thing that has made me consider Premium the most is to get them to quit fucking begging me to subscribe to Premium, rather than to 86 the ads. Man... Youtube kinda sucks.

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this started happening to me yesterday on my android tv, talked to google support earlier and they suggested unplugging the tv. For whatever reason that seems to have worked.

Oh that was after rebooting the tv and signing out and in of course.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you were probably logged off, that happens frequently and you have to sign in to not see ads

OP
OP
Curler

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
you were probably logged off, that happens frequently and you have to sign in to not see ads

It does happen sometimes, but not this time. Clearly still online, and still reads "Premium" at the top. I'll try a couple more things tomorrow and call support as a last resort... Super annoying.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I had a YouTube Music ad pop up in the app and in between videos. I was like...what? It's already included in my Premium subscription.

Feels like they're gonna pull some bullshit and charge it separately.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
It does happen sometimes, but not this time. Clearly still online, and still reads "Premium" at the top. I'll try a couple more things tomorrow and call support as a last resort... Super annoying.

It's probably same random tokenization issue that will end up resolving itself (hopefully). Time might actually fix it, if not a quick email to support.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I contacted support, apparently it's a known issue with Smart TVs/Android TV/Google TV right now and they're looking into it, I got 2 weeks free out of it at least

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Haven't come across that yet. Playing on android, MacOS or iPad.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Not happened on any of my devices. But I would be pissed! Those ads are more intrusive than ever now

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
It only happens on my Samsung TV when I exit the app without quitting it. When I resume the app it will immediately plan an ad and then resume the last video I was watching.

OP
OP
Curler

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Very weird. Been using Youtube today on the problem console, and I guess the issue just sort of resolved itself? Tried videos from channels I knew were doing ads, and nothing (....yet)

Hopefully they've gotten a fix for the rest of you using tv apps!

arcticxdeath

Mar 25, 2019
It's been happening to me on a Samsung QLED using the baked in app. Hard restarting the app makes the ads go away again.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I never use Premium ever, but since couple of months ago when I finally fed up with YouTube's egregious ads, I installed Vanced on my phone based on some recommendations in this site.

And I never had any ads again after using it.

Bless YouTube Vanced & thanks for the suggestions people.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
YouTube can't even get my blocked channels list right, so I don't expect it to even get that right.

***Block channel***
"What's that? You want MORE of this channel, well let us shove it in your face then!"
*Youtube fills the entire recommended videos list with channels you've blocked*

I swear they're doing this for shits and giggles.
This so much!

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mainly use my YouTube premium on my iPhone and I haven't seen any ads yet. That would really be off-putting to see as a paid subscriber.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone on Android TV (or FireOS) I recommend SmartTubeNext. Worlds better than the stock YT app but that's a low bar lol

I'm really happy Bravias use Android. 100% customization. Okay maybe 90%... close enough, root is unavailable for all of them last I checked.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
My LG just pushed a random Youtube update. I wonder if it is to fix this issue.