• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
What instead worries me is that the inherent lack of the ability to look long term that we share as a species. Suppose in the future if we are in the face of an important species shaping issue the people will be even worse at choosing the right thing as selfishness and tribal mentality will reign.

I think this basically sounds like what's happening right now with climate change. We need to be doing whatever we can to slow climate change immediately; instead we have guys like Trump and Bolsonaro running some of the biggest countries in the world and they're just pouring gasoline on the fire.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
This is something people always bring up, but I agree with Foucault.
The modern world has gotten very good at hiding it's barbarity, but it is still just as barbaric as it was in say medievel times.
People are murdered slowly through a capitalist machine. They are overworked, they are underpaid, and they are given little to no room for advancement.
Whereas in medievel times you would be murdered immediately for just being poor, today we murder you slowly.
This slow process gives the illusion of civility.
In some ways the modern world is more barbaric. Factory farming is an example.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I go back and forth. During the election I saw many, many, many people who share the same values as me, who want a better, cleaner world. Problem is, fully utilising the strength we have to win against very powerful forces. We have played by the rules for so long that when the Right break conventions it's a huge shock to us but to everyone else it's "So what? They sound great."

We can be negative, but we also need to let our anger, our id, flow.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Rise of nationalism, global warming, unchecked capitalism....

Ehmm yes? But I still have hope.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yea yea I know people say things are better than they've ever been but things are also slowly trending backwards

anti-vax. anti-intellectualism. etc.

Bigboss242

Banned
Dec 7, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Conspiratorial Rhetoric Over Multiple Posts; Account in Junior Phase
McPherson is a nutjob thats been entirely disavowed by the scientific community thats not creditable at all, man is a denialist of a different stripe
He is a nut job because he is the only one telling the truth.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
It is. I've seen a few posters here that have legitimate anxiety and mental breakdowns thinking humanity is going to go extinct in 2050.
Humanity will hang on for quite a while, hard to say exactly how long, it'll just be in an eco-fascist hell world with brutal authoritarian regimes controlling whatever tiny portion of the globe still passes for habitable.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People have thought the end was near since the beginning. All in all, things are better now than they were 50 years ago, and things were better 50 years ago than they were 50 years before that, and so on.

Have a drink. Relax.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
All our hope lies in the AI God, everything else will only lead to suffering and destruction

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
UK falling to the Tories is a major warning sign that, yes, we're fucked. We're too selfish of a species.

Over here in the US, if we can get Bernie in office and proceed to fill House and Senate seats with progressives who will do everything in their power to fight the corporations unwilling to make the proper changes to stop climate change, then, maybe, maybe we can turn things around.

But given I'm already not entirely sure if Sanders can win the primary...
It is. I've seen a few posters here that have legitimate anxiety and mental breakdowns thinking humanity is going to go extinct in 2050.
To be clear, I don't have anxiety attacks over the thought of humanity going extinct in 2050. I have them because I think we're going to live in a hellworld ruled by fascists and warlords while everyone who's done nothing wrong but exist dies around them. We're a resilient species. But not a resilient civilization.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
People have thought the end was near since the beginning. All in all, things are better now than they were 50 years ago, and things were better 50 years ago than they were 50 years before that, and so on.

Have a drink. Relax.

If you're citing Steven Pinker here, a ton of people have issues with his assessment of the world being better.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
I do, but I figure the one thing I can do is look out for me and my own.

I'm not sure if this is a joke post or not.The 'me and my own' mentality is exactly how so many people justify fucking over the planet and its population. So long as them and their nit-circles are good, fuck everything and everyone else. Even their neighbor. All means are permitted.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Things are excellent right now if you actually look backwards at how shit things were before.

Yep. Are things worse in some countries regarding of some aspects of life than they were 5 years ago? definitely. But that is part of the normal fluctuation that goes up and down. Globally things are better than ever. You have smaller and smaller percentage of people living in poverty every year. Not to mention leaps we have taken with gender equality and rights of sexual minorities compared to just 30 years ago. People that think we are living some doom times should open history books. You don't have to go even that far in history to really see things in context.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This thread doesn't seem like it's going to be productive, so it's locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.