• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kamagii

Oct 27, 2017
South of Heaven
I hold doors for people a lot but do not want or need gratitude just trying to be polite. I do understand people who do not like it though so if I ever have held the door for you OP I am sorry.

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017
OP, when someone hold a door for you, or other similar acts, that means the one doing it acknowledge you as a fellow human being.
If you pass without saying anything, or nodding to him, it means either that you take this is your due, which imply you see him as a lesser being compared to yourself, or that you see him as not worthy of your notice.
Do you not realise how insulting that is?

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't want to step on any toes, I will promptly start pulling all doors to as I pass through them. You're WELCOME, Shining Star .

I kid. I'm sorry that bothers you. I understand how it can be hard sometimes to summon the enthusiasm and energy to interact. Still, I'll probably keep doing it, if only because I'm very self centered and it's gratifying to think I'm helping someone, even if only just barely, even when they don't acknowledge my presence.

Actually, related note, the other day I held the door while leaving while still talking to someone inside. Someone else passed and thanked me on their way in, and as I was mid conversation, I didn't even notice them prior or have the opportunity to say you're welcome or otherwise acknowledge them. I felt rude. It was silly.

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
It's very much a control thing, and if a man is holding the door for a women it's basically upholding the patriarchy. I'm surprised OP is getting dunked.
GTFO with that shit.

Not everything is an agenda you know. People can just be kind and courteous and I'd bet that is what 99.999% of the men/woman who hold doors for people are.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
OP, when someone hold a door for you, or other similar acts, that means the one doing it acknowledge you as a fellow human being.
If you pass without saying anything, or nodding to him, it means either that you take this is your due, which imply you see him as a lesser being compared to yourself, or that you see him as not worthy of your notice.
Do you not realise how insulting that is?

Very this. Exactly.

Not acknowledging someone who just did something nice for you is basically saying they're not worth the same acknowledgement they just gave you.

Not saying or doing anything makes you the rude one. Once that happens don't be surprised if people react with snark. In my eyes it's deserved.

Again, I won't always do it, but if I really don't like the vibes I get from someone then I may have to say something.

If they're upset because you don't acknowledge it, they were doing it for the wrong reason and that is their problem.

That's not how this works. Read above.

The person not offering gratitude is the only one in the wrong here. It's basic human decency to thank someone for doing something for you.

(Though I draw the line at thanking bus drivers unless they actually did something worthy of thanks)

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
One thing is men looming over women in narrow doorways expecting gratitude for their antiquated ~chivalry~ It's clueless and creepy. Or maybe some realise it's threatening and that's the intention, considering a number of men on here also said they'd continue to cold approach women in public despite women in the thread stating it makes them deeply uncomfortable.
You can usually tell when the other person isn't doing it for kudos as ime there's no staring down as you pass through. I just give 'em a quick thanks and move on, nbd.

Holding doors open is sexist.

Such a woke observation, your eyes must be tired from having to keep open all the time from this wokeness.

This attitude is why women rarely bother to talk to men like you on these subjects and we're shouted out of these threads. Maybe if you were less dismissive and bothered to listen then you could get some actual insight on the matter. Or you could keep making stupid fucking quips looking like an ignorant ass.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Small gestures of decency and courtesy are inherently human. Even with the occasional weirdo or social awkwardness, I much prefer it to a cynical world where no one gives a thought to the circumstances or people around them.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
The fuck? No. It's common courtesy. I'll hold the door plenty of times, especially if it's a heavy (metal) door/gate and I know someone's behind me. I don't expect any kind of thanks or acknowledgement for doing it.

Last edited:

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's not considerate. It's a power move.
they hold the door open and now they just forced you to up your pace so that you don't seem inconsiderate. You're basically their bitch.

Its true, some elderly man was approaching the door carrying a box and as I opened the door from the other side to help him out, I said to myself "I own you bitch"

Nov 17, 2017
I'm sorry for replying earlier without fully reading the single-paragraph OP. The bolded is really messed up. That's nasty, and of course, if a situation gives rise to aggressive reactions like that, then it's understandable that OP would develop an aversion to situations that would expose her to that kind of aggression.
I'm sorry but a sarcastic "you're welcome", while a little dickish is in no way an "aggressive reaction."

Aggressive reaction implies the dude grabbed OP and shook them like "How DARE you not thank me! I held the door open for you!"

While no one is entitled to a thank you, it's still rude not to thank someone doing a kind gesture for you. Some people will react negatively with their own rudeness when you're rude to them. You can't exactly act in a rude manner and not expect someone to respond in kind. And no, I'm not excusing the dude for his little snide remark but it was just that - a snide remark. It's not "really messed up". It's as slightly rude as not thanking someone for holding the door open. Hardly something to traumatize someone for life. It really isn't understandable that OP has this much of an aversion to people holding doors based on this.

Deleted member 59245

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 15, 2019
California
User banned (2 weeks): excessive hostility and aggressive, condescending sexism towards another member
One thing is men looming over women in narrow doorways expecting gratitude for their antiquated ~chivalry~ It's clueless and creepy. Or maybe some realise it's threatening and that's the intention, considering a number of men on here also said they'd continue to cold approach women in public despite women in the thread stating it makes them deeply uncomfortable.
You can usually tell when the other person isn't doing it for kudos as ime there's no staring down as you pass through. I just give 'em a quick thanks and move on, nbd.

This attitude is why women rarely bother to talk to men like you on these subjects and we're shouted out of these threads. Maybe if you were less dismissive and bothered to listen then you could get some actual insight on the matter. Or you could keep making stupid fucking quips looking like an ignorant ass.
Hey dumbshit most women don't care about doors being opened for them, I know this because I actually talk and listen to women in real life. Most of the most important people in my life are women and they'll tell you exactly who I am. Not that it matters we don't care about you. So miss me with all that asshole.

Can you explain why women hold doors open for men too? Because that's definitely happened to me numerous times.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
Because the topic is about people who act snide and entitled over some small favor they performed, rather than the OP simply disliking those who do small favors.

Nah, the topic is about this: " I don't want to have to look at a random person and say thank you every time I go in somewhere at the same time as someone because they held the door open for me. "

And then a later reply by the OP: " I'm not an introvert at all I just don't like feeling like I have to thank a stranger for something I didn't ask or want them to do."

The second half of the OP was talking about a specific incident where someone acted snide. The meat of the OP is being upset at the idea of having to say thank you any time someone opens a door for them.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Totally agree hate when people say bless you too

I don't need to be "blessed" by your fake sky fairy. Want to throw my hat at the next person that says that and laugh with mirth. I don't want to cause a scene though Instead I shall just look gormlessly and say nothing

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. I disagree completely.

So you think people secretly open doors for people just to get thanks out of it? That doesn't make any sense. If you do something kind for an ingrate then all bets are off.

I certainly don't expect thanks when holding doors for people. I'm happy and comfortable with doing it. I also auto-thank anyone who holds the door for me. I genuinely appreciate it. Honestly, I didn't think about it too much before.

What I'm talking about is the specific person who reacted to the OP's silence with a sarcastic "you're welcome," and others like them should they exist. That's the situation I'm talking about. If people are gonna be hostile like that, then they shouldn't bother holding doors open. It's wild to me that someone would escalate a scene like that just because someone didn't say thanks for an open door. In OP's case, that person was out of line.

Context matters too. Depending how people go through the door held open without gratitude impacts the situation. Some people will go through smugly as if you don't even exist, which is the exact opposite of the way you just treated them. In cases like that people absolutely earn a smartass response. I haven't done it every time someone goes by without a thanks, but sometimes when I detect complete apathy from someone I'll be like k fuck them then and say something.

Detect smugness and apathy from doorway enterers? I don't have those kinds of sensors. People might just be having a bad day. Lost in their thoughts because they just got fired or they broke up with their significant other or got a really bad medical diagnosis. It's just holding open a door. imo, silence should not be provoking 'fuck them' reactions from door-holders. I mean, come ooooonnnnnnnnnn.

Last edited:

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Totally agree hate when people say bless you too

I don't need to be "blessed" by your fake sky fairy. Want to throw my hat at the next person that says that and laugh with mirth. I don't want to cause a scene though Instead I shall just look gormlessly and say nothing
We're just trying to keep your soul from getting out.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like it when I get to the airlock portion of my building, someone is exiting from the 2nd door as I'm entering the first, and we just stop and look at each other. Each holding the door open for the other, unwilling to move. I like to call it a Canadian stand-off.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
The. . .hell?

The hell?

No, no if I remember to hold the door open I'm not asking for a thank you and gosh knows I'm not hitting on you. I just want you to be happy dammit.

This is speaking as someone who's an introvert myself. Door dude who had the nerve to mouth off at you for being socially awkward/not paying attention was being a jerk here but my GOSH. My feelings are hurt through the screen just thinking about how a social interaction would go down between us. Hell sometimes I even just keep holding the door open for an entire small crowd just because I don't know when it's convenient to let it go, it's not some kind of power dynamic and I'm embarrassed for anyone on either side of the fence who thinks it is.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but a sarcastic "you're welcome", while a little dickish is in no way an "aggressive reaction."

Aggressive reaction implies the dude grabbed OP and shook them like "How DARE you not thank me! I held the door open for you!"

While no one is entitled to a thank you, it's still rude not to thank someone doing a kind gesture for you. Some people will react negatively with their own rudeness when you're rude to them. You can't exactly act in a rude manner and not expect someone to respond in kind. And no, I'm not excusing the dude for his little snide remark but it was just that - a snide remark. It's not "really messed up". It's as slightly rude as not thanking someone for holding the door open. Hardly something to traumatize someone for life. It really isn't understandable that OP has this much of an aversion to people holding doors based on this.

Aggression isn't just physical. Words can be aggressive. Assault and battery is not the sole definition of "aggressive." I'm not saying the man broke the law or anything like that. Sarcasm in that situation is hostile. Dude was pissed. He was mad. To me, being provoked to anger by such a nothing event is off.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because the topic is about people who act snide and entitled over some small favor they performed, rather than the OP simply disliking those who do small favors.

Take your own advice and read the OP:

I don't want to have to look at a random person and say thank you every time I go in somewhere at the same time as someone because they held the door open for me.

The OP clearly has a problem with people doing small favors.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Take your own advice and read the OP:
The second half of the OP was talking about a specific incident where someone acted snide. The meat of the OP is being upset at the idea of having to say thank you any time someone opens a door for them.
It's almost as if the snarky incident left the OP feeling obligated to say "Thank you" because apparently not doing so gives some people license to talk to you like you're a piece of shit. It's all kind of inter-related here.

Deleted member 59245

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
California
Try apply yourself don't you think?
I do...that's why I said I do? I don't get your point.

The problem is I don't agree holding doors is a sexist act because men hold doors for men, women hold doors for women, women hold doors for men, etc.

It's called treating your fellow humans with respect and acting like they're not just npcs who have to inhabit a world you own.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
It may or may not have been.

But the issue is that you're making this the case for every single time someone opens a door for you, and generalizing this incident to every other one, in implying that everyone who does this is an asshole.

Maybe in that one situation, the person was a jerk too. But you preface that story by letting us know this is how you feel in general about this practice.

And if that's how you actually feel about everybody who does it, then yes, you are indeed the jerk in this case, and are most likely overly sensitive.

I'm not sure why you are struggling so much in seeing the difference here.

Deleted member 56909

Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater
No because it's a common courtesy where I grew up so I just do it on command now and expect it. It's of a better alternative than getting smashed into a door or hurting yourself.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind when people hold doors open for me. It does get awkward where I work if I'm just behind (or just in front of) someone and we're both going in, to the stairs, and upstairs. There are 5 doors nearly back to back there, so at that point I start to wonder what the "thanks" protocol is. Every door? Just the first? First and last?

The thing that feels really "patriarchal" to me (as a woman) is when the person in front of me opens the door and then steps out of the way to let me go first while they hold it open. Like, just go in first and hold it open behind you like a normal person. >_>
Especially awkward with the aforementioned 5 doors because they hold the first one open, let me in first, and then that leaves me to hold the next 4 doors open for them. I like to imagine on some level they learn something from this, but probably not.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
There is a difference between pushing a door open so the next person can catch it, holding it for a second, and stopping in your tracks so someone can exit with you. I'd say most of the time it's a brief pause or pushing the door open for the next person.

But if you stop and hold it open for people that is even worse. Not thanking someone for doing that is just rude as hell.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I'm fairly confident most women do not share your view on this issue given that opening a door for somebody isn't gender-specific. I personally do it for men as often as I do it for women. (I do it for everyone habitually because manners really are the glue of society)

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No because it's a common courtesy where I grew up so I just do it on command now and expect it in kind of a better alternative than getting smashed into a door or hurting yourself.
I'm all for holding doors but how is "getting smashed into a door or hurting yourself" an alternative to holding doors? Do people physically attack others for not holding doors where you are?

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
It's barely midday and we have reached peak weekend-Era posting.

I always hold the door open for people man, woman, old, young, any race etc etc and 9/10 times I get some response of acknowledgement and gratitude. It's just a small act of selflessness that can go a long way.

I remember I had lunch with a friend once and he got up for napkins and utensils without me even asking, it felt nice. Seeing someone taking the initiative to be giving is nice.Letting someone into your lane during rush hour, letting someone with a small grocery haul ahead of you in line, picking up something someone has dropped and handing it back to them, and on and on.

I look at it as it's hard out there and you never know how a small act of looking out for someone else can contribute to brightening that person's day.

Deleted member 56909

Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater
I'm all for holding doors but how is "getting smashed into a door or hurting yourself" an alternative to holding doors? Do people physically attack others for not holding doors where you are?
No I just mean when someone opens the door and don't hold it open and your right behind them the door can close on you I've walked into doors alot :(

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I always hold the door since that's how I was brought up. I don't care if they thank me or not and I also don't get offended if the person ahead of me doesn't do it for me.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's almost as if the snarky incident left the OP feeling obligated to say "Thank you" because apparently not doing so gives some people license to talk to you like you're a piece of shit. It's all kind of inter-related here.

Again, the OP makes it very clear they don't like having the door held for them under any circumstance because this brief social interaction makes them feel awkward.

The snarky issue is something else entirely and the person who did it was being rude.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
opening a door for somebody isn't gender-specific.

Anyone that thinks otherwise are the ones with a problem.

I don't give a shit who the person is. I'll push the door open wide or hold it for them if they're gonna make it to the door in time. Most of the time I won't say shit if it goes by unnoticed but again, if the person comes off smug about it, doesn't even try to reach for the door themselves, and goes in without saying shit, then all bets are off.

This is more situational than people are thinking.

The only thing I know as automatic is to acknowledge someone doing something nice for you.