• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
  • Anime avatar
  • Upset at having social interactions
giphy.gif
Lmao

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good grief...there's always something. Do some of y'all just not interact w/ people outside of the internet?

Here's a good rule of thumb: Some people are jerks, most people aren't. If someone's polite only because they expect politeness back, it's on them. But complaining about how you hate people doing something as benign as holding a door for you just seems asinine.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i dont like it if they are more than a couple steps ahead

like if i am at the end of a hallway and they just turn around with the door making me hurry up because im like 15 feet away thats just asinine behavior

same as when cars stop turning in extremely early when im not even near the curb of the sidewalk because it seems that everyone who drives is either super aggressive or ridiculously passive

Vio-lence

Banned
Oct 15, 2019
this is probably b8, but: get off the internet and start interacting with human beings in the real world a bit. it'll do you good.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Nah man, I don't get mad at people being nice to me. Not sure if you lack the self-esteem or just have social anxiety but it ain't a bad thing that others do these things for you, after all they opt to do so out of their own volition and not because you ask them to hold the door open.

Like my ass is introverted as all hell but even I manage to acknowledge how nice it is for someone to do such a thing. In a world where assholes run rampant, being shown a little kindness like that always brightens my day.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand being put off by basic courtesies.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should stop going outside or interacting with people in general if something this kind and simple bothers you.

Oct 27, 2017
When someone offers me a glass of water I throw it in their face and scream "I don't need your petty charity!"

When someone lets me go first when they clearly got to it before me, I slap them and scream "I don't need your filthy pitty!"

When someone holds the door open for me I stomp on their foot and scream "I don't need your flabbergasting assistance fool do I appear incapable of such a task!? Do I have no hands!? What were you thinking, 'this poor man would struggle to figure out how a door knob works'!? I spit on you. I fart as I pass you. If there is a second door, I slam it in your face!"

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
i dont like it if they are more than a couple steps ahead

like if i am at the end of a hallway and they just turn around with the door making me hurry up because im like 15 feet away thats just asinine behavior

same as when cars stop turning in extremely early when im not even near the curb of the sidewalk because it seems that everyone who drives is either super aggressive or ridiculously passive
What if they aren't in a hurry and just want to wait to be nice?

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Acknowledging the person with a nod, smile or wave is a good way to say thanks without actually saying it.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're walking fairly closely behind someone going through a doorway, would you prefer the door to just shut in your face?

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
I don't want to have to look at a random person and say thank you every time I go in somewhere at the same time as someone because they held the door open for me. And just now I neglected to thank a man who held a door open and got a very sarcastic "you're welcome." I just want to be left alone when I'm walking around. Anyone else?
You should add a poll to this thread - I'd be interested in the results. My guess, before reading the thread, is that the general reaction will be disagreement with your perspective. :-)

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No.

But I do think it can get awkward sometimes when you and someone else get to the door at the same time. Then who opens it?

Also awkward: you and someone else opening the door at the same time from opposite sides.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I instead opt for the only reasonable option, which is to avoid a politely opened door and punch my way through the nearest brick wall instead

No person can challenge my individuality with their insidious niceties. I know deep down, it's part of a conspiracy. The door is a symbol for passing through the hoops of this mad bureaucratic society!!!!!!

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone holding the door open for you is not someone who isn't leaving you alone. And unless you are walking through a door every minute, how the hell is this an inconvenience? Are you a doorman by any chance?

Also if you want to be left alone, stop walking through doors into places with people.

I hate it too.

I had this leadership training when they explained us that holding doors is a sign of power. And passing the door when another person hold is for you is a sign of submission. Obviously, not all people does it for these reasons, but after that i always hold the doors and always refuse to cross the door if someone holds it.
Lmao my dude, either stop making shit up or stop going to leadership training hosted by Michael Scott

Last edited:

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
It is really not hard to 1) be an adult, 2) act like a human, and 3) have an ounce of compassion/respect. Every week in Etc there's at least three threads that will desperately try to convince you otherwise like "but have you considered...", but no. No. It really isn't

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Cis white male here. I don't mind it at all and I think the majority of people don't either. At least, they definitely don't where I live. People hold doors open walking through the metro/subway all the time.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
The effort needed to reciprocate such a simple gesture is so minimal, that you maybe should meditate on why you don't want to engage in the most rudimentary of human interaction.

I feel like it requires way more effort to be upset about this.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
no

I do get slightly annoyed when you're quite far away and you have to speed up to be polite yourself though. But hey, they're trying to be nice so...

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Um no.

Saying thanks or even nodding at someone really isn't a big deal and honestly you kinda deserve a sarcastic "thank you" or "you're welcome" for that.

People are just trying to be nice. Letting a door close in your damn face is much worse. How would THAT not bother you more?

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
There's a blind man who opened the door for me yesterday at work. I said "Thanks!" and he happily said "No problem! I got this. Have a good one."

It was fucking awful. Fight the power OP.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Why would anyone really give a shit?

I just nod or say "thanks, man" and go about my business.

edit: yeah, I'm also a huge introvert, but this aint no thing.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Next week OP is going to make a thread complaining about their friends not wanting to be around them.