• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't want to have to look at a random person and say thank you every time I go in somewhere at the same time as someone because they held the door open for me. And just now I neglected to thank a man who held a door open and got a very sarcastic "you're welcome." I just want to be left alone when I'm walking around. Anyone else?
I think this is called misanthropy?

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I forget how many introverts there are on ERA. Then I see threads like this and Im reminded once again.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I do it if someone is in close vicinity of me, with no expectations of thanks - it's just impulse reaction I guess.

If someone is doing it for me - I just look at them and give them a head nod and continue on

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
enhanced-buzz-orig-31142-1376061048-9.jpg

It's you OP

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: avatar shaming
  • Anime avatar
  • Upset at having social interactions
giphy.gif

Jun 6, 2019
All I ask is please don't pick up the pace when I'm holding a door for you. It's ok. No need to rush. I already decided I'm committed.

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck? No?

Also, you're annoyed cause you have to thank someone for doing something courteous? Wow that sounds really hard for you

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
It is kind of a pain in the ass if the person starts holding the door when you are 20 feet away, so you feel like you have to hurry so as to not make them wait.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
You think that's bad OP? Just this morning I went through the McDonalds drive thru for a coffee and this smug asshole working the window thanked me and then had the nerve to tell me to have a nice day. I'm still trying to get over it.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Another day another thread from someone who hates something innocuous for stupid reasons.
I wonder if we've ever had a "Don't wish me a nice day, it's none of your business" thread

EDIT:
You think that's bad OP? Just this morning I went through the McDonalds drive thru for a coffee and this smug asshole working the window thanked me and then had the nerve to tell me to have a nice day. I'm still trying to get over it.
I know you're joking, but holy shit at that timing.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to have to look at a random person and say thank you every time I go in somewhere at the same time as someone because they held the door open for me. And just now I neglected to thank a man who held a door open and got a very sarcastic "you're welcome." I just want to be left alone when I'm walking around. Anyone else?
you'd be happy in Japan then. I think it's seen as rude to hold doors open for people.

Holding Doors for Others:
Japanese normally do not hold doors open for the people who follow behind as people in Western countries might do, so don't be surprised if you're walking through a crowded doorway only to find the door closing in your face. In Japan, this is not discourteous; holding doors open for other is just simply not an aspect of Japanese manners.​

OP
OP
Shining Star

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I'm not an introvert at all I just don't like feeling like I have to thank a stranger for something I didn't ask or want them to do.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I always hold the door when I see someone coming, it's just something that I do automatically without thinking. I don't care if people says thank you or anything, so if we even meet feel free to ignore me if I hold you the door OP :P

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I just hate when someone's halfway across the hall and they start holding the door for me. Like, I don't wanna have to hurry up to reach the door for you.

But otherwise no, that's just common decency.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, next time you are telling me you don't say "Good morning/day/night" to the bus driver, and "Thanks" when you get out, either?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I forget how many introverts there are on ERA. Then I see threads like this and Im reminded once again.
I was the most introverted person in my psych class by far when we did that test and I never once thought like this for someone opening a door or holding it for someone else. This is just "why can't you be normal" bullshit.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017

I agree OP, and I actually thought everyone else here would agree too lol. I hate when people open doors for me and I don't do it for other people because of that.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
In this day and age where we hear so much negativity about our fellow human beings, I'm glad to see that people can still show a bit of kindness here and there. Especially when I'm carrying a child and bags. To me, that's pretty rude if you won't hold a door open for someone coming in right behind you.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I hate it too.

I had this leadership training when they explained us that holding doors is a sign of power. And passing the door when another person hold is for you is a sign of submission. Obviously, not all people does it for these reasons, but after that i always hold the doors and always refuse to cross the door if someone holds it.

Feb 21, 2019
Its a little weird OP. Just relax.

(Though, Im kinda with you....Id rather just go on about my business myself, but its totally fine).

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Only time I mind is when there's two doors going into a restaurant and only 2 people entering that leads to what I've begun calling "leap frogging" to my partner.

Don't hold open the first door for me, and then I have to hold open the second door for you. It's just silly.

Other than that, I'm in the South and it's common practice.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
No, it's someone being nice and considerate. Why would I hate that?

Jesus, I don't understand some people.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Yes. And what's with these people that ask how I'm doing or say "Good morning" when I come into work? Uhhh, how about, FUCK. YOU.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Usually I'm ok with it, but it does bug me when I'm like 50 feet behind someone and they stand there and hold the door open. Feel like I have to rush.

Zipzoom

May 27, 2019
I hate it too.

I had this leadership training when they explained us that holding doors is a sign of power. And passing the door when another person hold is for you is a sign of submission. Obviously, not all people does it for these reasons, but after that i always hold the doors and always refuse to cross the door if someone holds it.
seriously?

Jovo

Oct 25, 2017
I think you should reevaluate your life if something like this bothers you, maybe get some counseling.

Such a hardship to say thanks for someone holding the door for you.