• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I can assure you that both those aspects will be happening when I have kids, f antivaxxing
Honestly, I think you and your kids will be fine. Even veganism has gone from being a wild lifestyle choice to bring relatively mainstream in the last decade, so no child is going to resent you from raising them that way.

The only thing I'd encourage you to do, when they're old enough to start thinking for themselves a little, is to discuss your reasoning with them. Like anything, telling a teenager they just can't have meat is likely to produce the opposite effect ;-)

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Honestly, I think you and your kids will be fine. Even veganism has gone from being a wild lifestyle choice to bring relatively mainstream in the last decade, so no child is going to resent you from raising them that way.

The only thing I'd encourage you to do, when they're old enough to start thinking for themselves a little, is to discuss your reasoning with them. Like anything, telling a teenager they just can't have meat is likely to produce the opposite effect ;-)
oh for sure, we planed to. Honestly when they are old enough to hear us out, then they are old enough to make their own decision if they can pay for it themselves.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
Edit: this post was made without thinking it through, and I communicated my point poorly. I entered the thread to give advice to people thinking about becoming vegan based on my mistakes. I don't want to derail the thread.

Last edited:

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Everyone should take a B12 supplement, vegan or otherwise.

It's important for your body and its water soluble, any extra is just peed out, so you can't overdo it. A B12 deficiency can go undetected for a long time while it's quietly doing damage to your body.

Even omnivores struggle with it, they just don't pay attention to it because they probably don't even really know what B12 is (since they wouldn't really have a reason to learn about it).

Oct 28, 2017
If one person can't make a difference, why go vegan at all? Either individual actions matter, or they don't. You're trying to argue both.
I'm stating you can make a fair difference to your environmental footprint by giving up beef, a huge difference to how many animals you harm by giving up chicken, and larger differences to both by going vegan. If you can't or won't go vegan right away, please do the thing which will have the greatest impact for most people, namely give up chicken.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I completely understand your point of view. I mainly did it to lose weight, and while I did lose about 30lbs, the impact on my health has put me off doing it again. I'll probably just stick to chicken and cut beef out. I wouldn't wish what I went through on anybody. We have naturally evolved to require some form of meet in our diet.
We have not 'naturally evolved to require some form of meat in our diets'. The biggest nutritional agency in the world and many other regional ones have reviewed thousands of studies and came out with statements that plant-based diets are healthy for all stages of life. Indeed, numerous studies find vegans healthier on average, with far lower risk of heart disease, the world's biggest killer, as one example. Surely you wouldn't accept someone's anecdotal evidence over the word of the scientific community in any other context. I'm sorry you had issues following such a diet, but a doctor trained in nutrition would be able to identify the actual cause of your problems.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
I've reduced the amount of meat I eat by about 90%. Right now I only eat seafood and chicken maybe once a month.

Completely gave up red meat. I eat a ton of thai food so I'm just getting the tofu options which are usually delicious.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
We have not 'naturally evolved to require some form of meat in our diets'. The biggest nutritional agency in the world and many other regional ones have reviewed thousands of studies and came out with statements that plant-based diets are healthy for all stages of life. Indeed, numerous studies find vegans healthier on average, with far lower risk of heart disease, the world's biggest killer, as one example. Surely you wouldn't accept someone's anecdotal evidence over the word of the scientific community in any other context. I'm sorry you had issues following such a diet, but a doctor trained in nutrition would be able to identify the actual cause of your problems.

I've heard it all before mate about it being a healthier lifestyle than other diets. I agree that it can work for some people and my best friend is a very healthy personal trainer who is vegan.

I might not have communicated clearly, but what I meant to convey was that you either have a healthy balanced diet that includes meat and doesn't require supplements, or you have a healthy vegan/plant based diet that will require more personal oversight in order to ensure you get all the nutrition you require. It isn't as simple as just cutting meat out, you have to put some effort into figuring how to get everything you need.

Edit: Either way I've edited my post that you replied to as I agree with you that I let anecdotal evidence cloud my judgment. I came into the thread with only the best intentions of giving advice on B12 requirements based on the mistake I made when starting the diet.

I wish there was someone who could have told me these things before I started. All I got when I told people that i was going vegan was words of encouragement but no advice. I even told some nutritionist friends of mine but they didn't bother to inform me because they "assumed I'd know".

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I've heard it all before mate about it being a healthier lifestyle than other diets. I agree that it can work for some people and my best friend is a very healthy personal trainer who is vegan.

I might not have communicated clearly, but what I meant to convey was that you either have a healthy balanced diet that includes meat and doesn't require supplements, or you have a healthy vegan/plant based diet that will require more personal oversight in order to ensure you get all the nutrition you require. It isn't as simple as just cutting meat out, you have to put some effort into figuring how to get everything you need.
I don't see what the problem is with taking supplements. The animals you eat are pumped full of vitamins (including B12), antibiotics, etc. If your body can absorb it, what is inferior about taking a pill instead of filtering it through an animal which has lived a life of misery and suffered a violent, premature death?

A few people can't absorb B12 easily through any means and must take injections but that doesn't seem to apply to you. Has any doctor mentioned specifically what nutrient you were lacking?

I understand that in some circumstances it can require more planning to follow a plant-based diet. You're right that you shouldn't just cut out meat, you should replace it with the huge number of non meat products. But the small inconvenience of looking up balanced vegan recipes, or "what vegetables contain X", is nothing compared to the suffering billions of animals are going through. Hopefully public education on nutrition will continue to improve to the extent that the basics will become common knowledge and that short period of research will become more painless.

Ovaryactor

Nov 20, 2018
4758.jpg
Dang, the true slam dunk is from how rad your avatar is in comparison...

Ratatouille is what my vegan partner mainly consumes and she keeps it under $40 a week in Montana (though, that's not typical and we are hella poor).

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
I don't see what the problem is with taking supplements. The animals you eat are pumped full of vitamins (including B12), antibiotics, etc. If your body can absorb it, what is inferior about taking a pill instead of filtering it through an animal which has lived a life of misery and suffered a violent, premature death?

A few people can't absorb B12 easily through any means and must take injections but that doesn't seem to apply to you. Has any doctor mentioned specifically what nutrient you were lacking?

I understand that in some circumstances it can require more planning to follow a plant-based diet. You're right that you shouldn't just cut out meat, you should replace it with the huge number of non meat products. But the small inconvenience of looking up balanced vegan recipes, or "what vegetables contain X", is nothing compared to the suffering billions of animals are going through. Hopefully public education on nutrition will continue to improve to the extent that the basics will become common knowledge and that short period of research will become more painless.

I don't have a problem with supplements. I'm taking b12 and omega 3 tablets despite being a meat eater again. I've edited my post while you replied. I have no problems with veganism and whole heartedly support people who want to try it. I was just trying to give some advice some people might not have considered based on my mistakes.

Edit: In the end my blood tests came back with b12 deficiency and my doctors just told me to take supplements. I've been improving since then.

Ovaryactor

Nov 20, 2018
As opposed to meat-based vegan?

Honestly, I'm not a fan of the climate change movement focusing on micro-optimizations and individual responsibility as it's producing climate change "theater" and creating a culture where wealth means you can gain status as being eco-friendly which will only further damage and stigmatize the poor. The vast majority of greenhouse gases are from fossil fuel and corporations, don't let them launder that into "we're all responsible." If you want to make a difference yourself, just get rid of your personal vehicles and take public transportation. We can have a talk about next steps once that proves to not be enough.

I am trying to get better ratios for optimal health though. Just never been good at getting a good balance unless it's soup.

Most vegans who I've talked about agree that ridding the world of larger greenhouse gas producers is more important but they don't have control of that.

I stopped using a car 2 years ago and it's much less sustainable personally than veganism would be in helping the planet, is the thing.

Reducing vehicle pollution is just not happening unless there are mass protests and strikes not seen in American history, if referring to the US. I really wish we could do something more about transportation...

The only way to do veganism seems to be on a personal level and the only way to do transportation seems be on a systematic level.

OP
OP
Karish

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible idea. You need meat to be healthy and strong. I tried it for a while and my performance at the gym (strength training and boxing) tanked. No energy or stamina. My personal trainer was not happy about cutting meat out. Back eating chicken and steak again now and am fitter, healthier and stronger.

Watch the doc that precipitated this thread.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I'm planning on vegetarian when I get back from vacation on the 11th for at least January and February but either way I'm pretty much cutting out all red meat and gonna stick to chicken and fish, with a major reduction on the chicken. My diet overall is already pretty good and I work out like a billion times a week so I'm hoping everything together will take me up a notch this year in getting really cut. As far as cutting out the red meat and meat though that's for environments and ethical reasons. I've eaten enough meat in 36 years that I'm not gonna feel like I'm missing out and I'll still treat myself to a home made steak for like July 4th or some shit.

OP
OP
Karish

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
You fucking suck dude.

Great thread OP, congrats on the change you're making for yourself and the planet.

And props to everyone in this thread reducing their consumption of animal products, can't tell you how happy it makes me.
:D

TBH I regret putting the V word in the title. Holy baggage Batman! Plant based is clearly the way it should be discussed on my end. As I've said prior in this thread I'm doing this primarily for humans: the environment and my own health. Animals being treated better is a very nice bonus but it's not like I've had some epiphany on that front after years of animal food consumption.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always recommend going slowly. Don't go fully vegan the next morning because it will be difficult. I went vegan for a year but I have committed to a vegetarian diet now and I don't see myself eating meat in the future. I barely eat anything from animal sources but I'm not strict with stuff like cheese.

Edit: I just wanted to edit this to say that I finally gave up on cheese and found a nice vegan alternative. I won't call myself a vegan, as that implies commitment about activism that I know I can't commit to, but at least I can say my diet is 100% plant based.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I don't have a problem with supplements. I'm taking b12 and omega 3 tablets despite being a meat eater again. I've edited my post while you replied. I have no problems with veganism and whole heartedly support people who want to try it. I was just trying to give some advice some people might not have considered based on my mistakes.

Edit: In the end my blood tests came back with b12 deficiency and my doctors just told me to take supplements. I've been improving since then.
Thank you for editing your post, I understand that you did not intend to spread misinformation. And glad to hear supplements have been working for you. I take those same two supplements (omega from algae)

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I have been flexitarian for a few years now and in the process of going more and more towards a vegetarian diet or even vegan if possible, I already have the nutrition knowledge to do it but I'm not commited enough to really make the switch once and for all mostly due to conveniency and social pressure.
The former does seem to improve with time (more vegetarian/vegan choices made available at restaurants, in supermarkets, or at work) and I'm taking care of the latter slowly but surely with friends, starting with
"I'd rather not eat red meat"
to "I avoid red meat entirely and would prefer to avoid any animal based food"
"Eating any kind of meat is really troublesome for me, if possible it would be better if there was no dairy product as well"

But it's a process that took years, because for non flexitarian/plant based diet people it might really look like a bother, doing it slowly is letting both myself and them as well to adapt smoothly and eventually make them question their own diet as well (which is nice, but I entirely avoid being too frontal with them about, if the topic comes I gladly share all the benefits I can see to dropping animal base product whatsoever)

As a long distance runner (marathon mostly, and at a decent level for an amateur in the 2h45 range while still improving) I can also show to everyone how completely sustainable it is since the "vegetarian/vegan diet makes you weak" cliche is still incredibly strong.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Right now I'm meat only at dinner to save my wife some hassle. She cooks for us and our two kids, but oatmeal/salads and meal replacements for breakfast and lunch everyday so far. Cutting out dairy is easy for me because the only dairy I used to have is milk/cereal (my favorite snack/meal/dessert) going well so far.

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
OP here, just wanted to clarify that I'm doing this primarily for the environment, next for my health, and basically zero consideration due to animals and their wellbeing.
For me it's the opposite way around. Not going full vegan/vegetarian though but reducing my meat intake drastically and trying to avoid beef and pork all togheter. If it helps the environment it's an added bonus.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
I really enjoy meat but have been making a conscious effort to cut down. Never more than one meal a day and I make sure I have at least one or two meatless days a week.

I think at this point I could probably cut out meat completely, but I'd miss it. Now getting rid of dairy would be impossible for me, I just love bread and butter too much, buttermilk biscuits, pancakes, etc.

Jul 4, 2018
Have been cutting down on Meat and Dairy for the last year, purchased some B12 tablets today as I'm hoping to go down to 1-2 meals of Meat a week from 3-4 I was doing last year and anticipating I might get a B12 deficiency. Also looking to maybe get rid of beef (which for me at the moment would just be mince) from my diet, but depends on family really as I eat with my family at dinners and don't want to be to bothersome.

Have cut out Milk almost completely and if I go back to having it will likely get a plant variant, still like my cheese and ice cream but have cut down by about 2/3rds I'd say, unfortunately here in New Zealand plant alternatives to dairy products(apart from milk) aren't readily available in large grocery shop chains.

Oct 28, 2017
I have been flexitarian for a few years now and in the process of going more and more towards a vegetarian diet or even vegan if possible, I already have the nutrition knowledge to do it but I'm not commited enough to really make the switch once and for all mostly due to conveniency and social pressure.
The former does seem to improve with time (more vegetarian/vegan choices made available at restaurants, in supermarkets, or at work) and I'm taking care of the latter slowly but surely with friends, starting with
"I'd rather not eat red meat"
to "I avoid red meat entirely and would prefer to avoid any animal based food"
"Eating any kind of meat is really troublesome for me, if possible it would be better if there was no dairy product as well"

But it's a process that took years, because for non flexitarian/plant based diet people it might really look like a bother, doing it slowly is letting both myself and them as well to adapt smoothly and eventually make them question their own diet as well (which is nice, but I entirely avoid being too frontal with them about, if the topic comes I gladly share all the benefits I can see to dropping animal base product whatsoever)

As a long distance runner (marathon mostly, and at a decent level for an amateur in the 2h45 range while still improving) I can also show to everyone how completely sustainable it is since the "vegetarian/vegan diet makes you weak" cliche is still incredibly strong.
As someone who started running last year and is working towards running marathons this year, I'd love to hear any tips you have for plant-based nutrition specifically for long-distance running! I have lots of friends who are vegans and lots who are runners but there isn't much overlap...

MRYEAH

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hall across the room
Plant Based diet 85% of the time it helps my girlfriend was a former professional ballet dancer in Russia so she doesn't understand the American diet (It's all chemicals, just eat the vegetables)
when we cook for the last 2 years I have never felt better (I'm 41) and only stray into sugar sodas as a vice a couple days a week
We go out maybe 3 times a year to a great steakhouse but recently we prefer Korean BBQ or Thai if we eat out.
I endorse eating spinach with breakfast (eggs/toast/almond cereal usually with it) its changed my energy levels when i wake up to walk the dog.
In my opinion the best way to improve is small things you change or add to your meals
For instance I have always been thin but I would eat fettuccine alfredo instead of that I now put fresh spinach on the bottom cook some simple bow-tie pasta add feta cheese, mushrooms,onions.
I replaced eating hamburgers with salmon burgers its fantastic
Wish you all the best OP

Jun 10, 2018
I did, once in 2009. I was a full vegan for 10 months. It didn't end well for more I had gained over 40 pounds in that time period.

You see, I don't have a meat problem. I have a sugar problem. I have a massive sweet tooth and dropping key foods like eggs, cheese and seafood brought out the worst in me. I was having pasta everyday, eating too much french fries and I got sweet cravings too often. Eggs are really magical food, having 3-4 every morning, even just the whites, makes you feel full all day and kill any sugar cravings. Trio of eggs, dairy and seafood are impossible for me to drop.

I don't care about beef at all, though.
That's because a faulty Ancel keys "study" duped the whole planet into believing fat is inherently bad.

Eggs are damn filling - and nutritious - and activates a biochemical response limiting hunger.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
As someone who started running last year and is working towards running marathons this year, I'd love to hear any tips you have for plant-based nutrition specifically for long-distance running! I have lots of friends who are vegans and lots who are runners but there isn't much overlap...

Well part of turning towards a more vegetarian/vegan diet came with running for me in fact, if you try to take it more seriously then healthy lifestyle is part of of it, and your diet is one of the most important part of your lifestyle.
If long running efforts is your thing (I'm thinking of marathon really there, 10k is too short, half it depends of your speed but it's too short for most too) then a big part of diet change was switching to eating much more fat based foods, I'm eating nuts daily (almonds, cashew, pistacho, wallnuts...), much increased veggies/fruits intake both in quantity and variety like crazy, eat more carbs (if possible "whole" rice/pasta/breadĂ  almost entirely cut sugary/salty preprocessed foods etc.

Basically my diet looks like something like this (running 5/week with 2 more intense workout and a week-end long run, ~70k and in the process of increasing)
Breakfast : Plain oats with almond milk sugar free and some freshed slice fruits on top of it (raspberry, pear, apple, pineapple... whatever I have on that day), half a glass of orange juice with a bit of spirulina powder. The week-end I change oats to something akin to Smacks but organic and with 0 added sugar still with same almond milk, I eat half of what I eat oats during the week in quantity, still with freshed slice fruits and then eat 3-4-5 wasa toasts with nuts butter on it (I have like 5-6 different types, mixing different kinds of nuts/seeds).

Recovery drink post hard workout (Tuesday-Thursday) : I use an organic whey powder, like 10-15g mixed with 40cl of water, I have bought a plant based equivalent recently and the plan is to switch to that gradually

Lunch : Whatever is available at work, always take a big chunk of vegetables, carbs quantity I adjust depending on how I feel and this is where I might take fish/chicken once in a while because the choices available are dreadful at time..., desert is what the sliced fruit is available, it's often melon/pineapple/mango
At home I have a variety of plants based potein dishes available so it's more convenient, fruits are also of course magnitudes better

4PM snack : One banana, 30-40g of nuts, on workout days I also have 4 cookies rich with nutrients/vitamins and much less added sugar than usual (it took me months and carefully looking at info in supermarkets to finally settle for that one), sometimes I have my own made energy balls (this is where I started from, medjoul dattes are some kind of sorcery for real) as well instead

Dinner : Nothing special, same as if lunch was at home, I try to make it a bit lighter though and often finish with a small chocolate hovering in the 80-90% cacao range (it's hard for me to eat something which has less than 70% recently, the taste of sugar just overflows in the mouth and it's really unpleasant). I take some Skyr occasionally if I feel like I might be lacking in protein, or some alpro yogurt (apparently they've made a plant based skyr recently, it's not available where I live but I'll check it when it is)

If possible I would like to avoid preprocessed food whatsoever, including the plant based of course, but it's more of a very long term goal.
As an asides, I never drank coffee (never liked the taste), never smoke (what's the point ?), barely drink alcohool (never really liked the taste, and god knows I tried a lot of things and also in quantity over time, beer juste never ever sat with me, and ironically it takes a lot for me to get drunk), sleep an healthy amount (think 8h minimum, and 8h45 on average)

If you have anything more specific to ask feel free to do so.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm trying out being vegetarian, gone fairly well for almost two months now. It's for literally no reason other than "I like animals". The only obstacle is salmon sushi/sashimi. If it wasn't for that I'd probably be fine. It's like my favourite food on the planet, can't get enough. Craving it kinda hard right now.

Don't see myself going vegan. I already swapped out dairy milk for oat milk in like June, and don't eat much eggs or cheese anymore as I wasn't too big on them anyway. But swearing off all dairy seems massively inconvenient.

Oct 27, 2017
Veganism has implied ethical connotations, so I'd never do/say that, but I am definitely going much more plant focused in 2020.

Ive always found shakes and stuff like huel really appealing, and a better way to make sure I'm getting decent balanced nutrition and enough calories (compared to me eating normal food, where I was never good at finding and sticking to a good balance.)

So I'm going to lean harder into that in 2020. I'd never call myself vegan even if I fully switched though. I like plant-based. Aiming for one meat meal a week as a first year goal.

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I'm actively trying to change my diet by consuming less meat (pork and red meat specifically) most for health and environmental reasons, but one thing that I struggle with is making a difference.

Am I making a difference?

yes, I haven't eaten meat in a week, but does that really help the environment? Until the meat production drastically lowers, I don't think I am making a difference. Just because I didn't eat a burger, that cow was still slaughtered for it's meat, all the resources were still taken. It's been really hard getting pass this train of thought as I try to change my meat consumption.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actively trying to change my diet by consuming less meat (pork and red meat specifically) most for health and environmental reasons, but one thing that I struggle with is making a difference.

yes, I haven't eaten meat in a week, but does that really help the environment? Until the meat production drastically lowers, I don't think I am making a difference. Just because I didn't eat a burger, that cow was still slaughtered for it's meat, all the resources were still taken. It's been really hard getting pass this train of thought as I try to change my meat consumption.
You're making a difference for yourself. You're improving your health.

And eating a vegan diet should be the norm. So consider yourself approaching this norm.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
yes, I haven't eaten meat in a week, but does that really help the environment? Until the meat production drastically lowers, I don't think I am making a difference.
Of course you are, even if it's a tiny bit. Super markets don't like to throw any products in the trash, so they adapt shelf space and orders to demand. Less orders means less cows killed.

The most important part for now may be that less dollars go to the meat industry and more goes to alternatives like plant based substitutes. That's an immediate result of your actions.

If the meat industry revenues slow down and others go up, investments will change, supply of plant based alternatives will become more and more diverse and meat will become more expensive. I see more and more plant based products pop up here in the Netherlands, which is all due to rising demand.

More diverse and better substitutes could result in a snowball effect.

Barclays estimates that in ten years time the plant based meat substitute market will be ten times as big as now. That definitely makes a difference and everyone eating those is a part of that.

Last edited:

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Just so you know pork (and duck/goose) are "red meat".

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

every time you eat veg and not meat it's a small push for farmers to grow crops rather then raise cattle or whatever, and if enough people even slightly change their diet like that it will change the crops/livestock skew.

every little literally helps here.

Oct 25, 2017
All I encourage people do, be it eating meat or going vegetarian, is to try and find local farms to purchase from. Understand your regional crops and their cycles and adapt around that. These are more local ways you can help small farms (which are severely hurting) and better help to stop monoculture farming.

We found a farm in our state that raises all their livestock and gets it processed in PA. The carbon footprint isn't great but overall we'd rather spend more on meat to 1. Be wiser about consuming it and 2. Support some local agriculture.

And if you're still eating fish with regularity, especially tuna, I implore you to read up on sustainability of the ocean. Everyone is focused on green house gasses but we're destroying our sea life with how much we over fish it.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just as an update to this (and other similar threads): I have been following through with my transition from vegetarian diet over to full vegan diet and it's going well. It's much more challenging than going from meat eating to vegetarianism. That one was actually super simple. It's more challenging simply because dairy/eggs are in everything. I'm making lots of new trips to the more "health food" grocer these days. Lots of really tasty alternatives there!

edit: I think where I really committed to it was that thread where people discovered more atrocious animal treatment in the dairy industry.

Feb 10, 2018
First I've heard of it! Will check it out. Didn't realize most of their breads were vegan, means I could have been eating some bomb ass veggie subs these last few weeks

I had mine one whole wheat bread, with tomatoes, onion, cucumber and Bell peppers and chilli flakes, you don't need any sauces, I found the sauce with the meatballs and the vegan cheese to provide enough flavour.

Last edited:

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
It's definitely something I want to try and do more (cut back of meat consumption especially red meat), but I can't really see myself strictly adhering to veganism.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
I'm definitely trying little by little. Cut down a lot of red meat. Removing of the "protein" of a meal has probably been the biggest hurdle that. Really need to invest in a vegan oriented cookbook to really liven up the meals to make it easier on the transition.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Just found this thread. Three weeks back I went from omnivorous (though not a huge meat eater) to fully plant-based.

The trigger for me also was watching Game Changers. I'm not philosophically a Vegan, I'm doing it for my personal cardiovascular health. The animal welfare benefits and environmental benefits are good, but after eating meat for 50 years I'd be a fucking hypocrite if I started getting holier than thou about it.

It's been mostly fine. I'm a little bored of hummus. Lol. But I don't miss meat, eggs, butter or milk in tea etc. at all. I do miss cheese though. And the vegan alts I've tried were foul. Not helping the transition has been me being laid low with a chest infection for the last fortnight, but that is finally shifting.

I did cave the other night and had a little bit of grated cheddar on some pasta, but that's my only wobble.

We'll see how I am in another month, then I'll know whether it's a forever change. If not, egg-free vegetarian is an easy fall back.

Edit: btw I'm getting a lot of my daily protein requirements from a pea protein powder I add to my daily Nutribullet shake.

Feb 10, 2018
Just found this thread. Three weeks back I went from omnivorous (though not a huge meat eater) to fully plant-based.

The trigger for me also was watching Game Changers. I'm not philosophically a Vegan, I'm doing it for my personal cardiovascular health. The animal welfare benefits and environmental benefits are good, but after eating meat for 50 years I'd be a fucking hypocrite if I started getting holier than thou about it.

It's been mostly fine. I'm a little bored of hummus. Lol. But I don't miss meat, eggs, butter or milk in tea etc. at all. I do miss cheese though. And the vegan alts I've tried were foul. Not helping the transition has been me being laid low with a chest infection for the last fortnight, but that is finally shifting.

I did cave the other night and had a little bit of grated cheddar on some pasta, but that's my only wobble.

We'll see how I am in another month, then I'll know whether it's a forever change. If not, egg-free vegetarian is an easy fall back.

Edit: btw I'm getting a lot of my daily protein requirements from a pea protein powder I add to my daily Nutribullet shake.

I'm going plant based for similar reasons While I'm not fully vegan I'm like 85% plant based, I still eat fish but don't eat land animals or dairy.
I find the best way to curb cravings is not to buy animal products.
I had pasta with a lentil bolognese, I have it with a fresh green salad with spinach, rocket, spring onion, cherry Tom's and advacardos seasoned with balsamic vinegar, I also have wholemeal garlic bread done with the sandpaper garlic clove method. With these extras I don't crave cheese at all, it's all still mega tasty.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Just as an update to this (and other similar threads): I have been following through with my transition from vegetarian diet over to full vegan diet and it's going well. It's much more challenging than going from meat eating to vegetarianism. That one was actually super simple. It's more challenging simply because dairy/eggs are in everything. I'm making lots of new trips to the more "health food" grocer these days. Lots of really tasty alternatives there!

edit: I think where I really committed to it was that thread where people discovered more atrocious animal treatment in the dairy industry.

If y'all ever do want to joint he hangout we have one!

vegan hangout