• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the documentary Game Changers on Netflix yesterday and immediately decided to. I had already been "flexitarian" but I've decided now is the time to go all the way. There's no excuse anymore.

Anyone else?

(In before theresdozensofus.gif)

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, but I reduced my meat intake this year and I'm going to take it farther in 2020.

Spudstercool

Jul 14, 2019
I might challenge myself to be a lightweight-vegan for Veganuary (might just be a UK thing), but can't see myself making the full switch anytime soon.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think i have it in me to go full vegan but i have become a lot more conscious of what i eat and have started to opt more and more frequently to plant based options over meat options, which is massive shift for me considering where i was even a year and a half ago.

I think i will continue to opt for more plant based foods and even more of those plant based meats as they are generally to me quite an acceptable alternative and with more and more places offering them, i feel i can go out to more places and not feel the pressure of having to eat a beef burger for example.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I can't live without dairy products, but only eat meat every 2 weeks or so. That's enough.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Nope , cant see myself doing that.

But I have reduced my meat intake by limiting it to Weekends (Sat and Sun) and to holidays - for health benefits/reasons.

Its helped a lot especially since I lost a lot of weight.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not vegan but I am going fully vegetarian in 2020. The few months I cut meat out of my diet, I looked like the best shape of my life.

Oct 25, 2017
México
User Banned (2 weeks): trolling, antagonising members, history of related infractions
No.

But don't worry, OP... I will be sure to increase my consumption and eat the meat that you won't.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
No.

But don't worry, OP... I will be sure to increase my consumption and eat the meat that you won't.
4758.jpg

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
No, but I plan on reducing red meat intake (chicken and turkey instead), and increasing veggie and fruit intake. More so because of the gut health issues I have had this year than anything else. Which was a result of eating a lot of pizza, McDonalds, chocolate, and chinese food.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I consider myself down with the vegan agenda already. I don't cook with animal product and will go out of the way to avoid it when I go out. But if someone orders me something vegetarian, I won't say no. And my work requires me to have leather boots and gloves so I can't call myself a total vegan.

Vegan poops are awesome tho.

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
No, I like eggs, cheese, and such. I barely eat red meat though. It's nothing I actively choose to avoid, there are just more options out there so it's easy to try something non-beefy/-porky.

I pay more for my produce now though. Quality > quantity. Free range outdoor happy chicken lay some seriously tasty eggs. The yolk is no joke.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I eat too often with my parents who like to cook for me and are way too meat-and-potatoes for me to ever go all the way, but I've been making the effort to reduce my meat and dairy intake.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
We're not going full. But we're drastically reducing our meat intake. After watching Fed Up, Forks over knives and What The Health.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Nope. Watching my brother complain about being hungry and constantly being lethargic and dizzy since moving to vegan pushes me away completely.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. But I have been eating less meat and have thought about cutting it out completely for a while. But I'm feeling really healthy with my current diet/routine, so I may not bother going vegetarian. We'll see.

OP
OP
Karish

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
OP here, just wanted to clarify that I'm doing this primarily for the environment, next for my health, and basically zero consideration due to animals and their wellbeing.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
OP here, just wanted to clarify that I'm doing this primarily for the environment, next for my health, and basically zero consideration due to animals and their wellbeing.

the way they treat animals in US factory farm system is absolutely pathetic. Disappointing it has no impact on your decision.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
When my gf and I saw that film, we had already been trying to keep meals to 1 no meat day a week, at this point if presented an option for vegan/vegetarian, I'll give it a shot too. It's a nice change of pace most times beyond the health ramifications.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. Although I dropped red meat consumption a tad bit this year I am not planning on lowering it. I do plan to buy from local butchers more.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
For those of us considering diet on an environmental level - I have no interest in the health effects - this is a useful figure about changing your diet:

foodprint5.gif

Basically, you achieve almost the entire emissions benefit of going vegetarian or vegan by simply eliminating beef (mainly because eliminating all meats and/or meat/dairy requires you to grow other areas of your diet, so it's diminishing returns. Currently I've eliminated beef and we've reduced meat all meat intake, so I'm somewhere between the third and fourth column.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
If the plant-based meat were cheaper, I would eat it way more often. I actually love the taste. Ground beef here is ~$1.50/LB. So, yeah... we're not even close.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
No, but if these vegan meat replacement things can actually give close to the same taste/texture as meat I'm very open to switching to them.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe, I already cut all meats from my lunch and I general cut down on eating meat. But no more meat period, damn not really sure.

Oct 27, 2017
I've already cut most meats out of my diet, I eat meat once or twice a week. Dairy products are so much harder to give up, but I'm trying haha.

Dec 24, 2017
I eat more plants than I do meat, however, my particular health situation would make it more inconvenient for me to abandon animal proteins. And I already have enough anxiety about food as it is.

however, I am encouraged by the progress of food technology and will always be open to being vegan in the future once it becomes better for my personal situation.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Trying to eat less meat, specially beef which I only have like a couple of times a month or something like that. Most meat I eat is free range chicken and free range pork, but wife likes to prepare vegetarian dishes and I enjoy them.

alloc

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Sort of. I'm currently vegetarian. I already don't eat eggs on their own and I drink oat milk. After watching the Game Changers I'm determined to cut out cheese, yogurt, and all other animal products from my diet when I'm cooking or ordering food for myself. That said, I won't inconvenience others: if I'm at a restaurant with no good vegan options or a family event with no vegan food, I'll still be willing to eat cheese or eggs in that context. I'm also not going to get rid of my leather boots.

My parents watched The Game Changers last night and say they're going to try veganism! I was quite surprised; my dad is a lot like the dad in the movie, who is (was) proud of his meat intake.

Oct 25, 2017
As opposed to meat-based vegan?

Honestly, I'm not a fan of the climate change movement focusing on micro-optimizations and individual responsibility as it's producing climate change "theater" and creating a culture where wealth means you can gain status as being eco-friendly which will only further damage and stigmatize the poor. The vast majority of greenhouse gases are from fossil fuel and corporations, don't let them launder that into "we're all responsible." If you want to make a difference yourself, just get rid of your personal vehicles and take public transportation. We can have a talk about next steps once that proves to not be enough.

I am trying to get better ratios for optimal health though. Just never been good at getting a good balance unless it's soup.

alloc

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I eat more plants than I do meat, however, my particular health situation would make it more inconvenient for me to abandon animal proteins.

Consider watching The Game Changers on Netflix if you haven't already. One of the core theses in the movie is that animals are an inferior way to consume protein. It mostly sets aside environmental and ethical concerns and argues (I'm simplifying here) that the protein in animals comes from their own protein sources... which are plants. The animals are middle-men to the nutrients in plants!