• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
They look like Japanese boy bands (real life humans)

arashi.png

All I'm seeing is anime puppets with skin textures apparently.

Yeah it's all from Dissidia NT.

Shantotto and Y'shtola are reps because MC is create a character in both games so they do make sense as choices.

I guess that works for SE, but for the sake of this thread it doesn't make much sense.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I guess you're right, I would be better off denying asian people of their ethnicity because of the color of their skin like most of this thread instead <3
How does asking for better representation of skin colors other than white or pale deny Asian people of their ethnicity? The characters being Asian does not change that underlying critique.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
How does asking for better representation of skin colors other than white or pale deny Asian people of their ethnicity? The characters being Asian does not change that underlying critique.

That person called the characters white just like you did in the post I quoted, how is he not denying asian people of their ethnicity by calling them white and I'm promoting colorism by clarifying they're asian? There's no such thing as a white asian, that's racist and western centric as fuck

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Using this image is fucking disingenuous to be honest

d00.jpg

Thats how the characters were homogenized for Dissidia, or for some other marketing thing. Thats not how 80% of those characters looked when the games were in development with specific marketing made for them. Would I like more variety? Sure, but that goes for every game out there, its not like Final Fantasy is the one big culprit

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
That person called the characters white just like you did in the post I quoted, how is he not denying asian people of their ethnicity by calling them white and I'm promoting colorism by clarifying they're asian?
There's a difference between a clarification and using it as an excuse for why the status quo is acceptable. I don't find the argument that Japanese people simply want to represent themselves compelling, especially when there is an overwhelming emphasis on Eurasian beauty standards and an apparent preference for fair skin. It ignores the heart of the argument. If I misinterpreted you, I apologize.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Not really when weve had like...4?..new ff protags in the last 20 years or so(Tidus, Vaan, Lightning, Noctis) as i wouldnt count the mmos.

16 man does look ultra bland though.

OP
OP
Sea lion

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
They look like Japanese boy bands (real life humans)

arashi.png
Nah, but they look like doll versions of them with added Euro features sure.

If they did there wouldn't be mass confusion whether FF characters were Asian or White. That's the thing with anime, it generally excludes a lot of racial features and nuances in favour of everyone looking "perfect".

I believe they're supposed to be Asian, but heavily stylized. Its why Ghost of Tsushima made the rounds. God forbid we represent people as they are. Japan is so focused on this that they actually called Jin ugly and docked it points for not having pristine waifu characters.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
It would be nice to play a FF with characters that looked like actual ethnicities instead of soft ass anime white people more often. Lost Odyssey is the last FF I think I really enjoyed and the were we to spice things up in that regard.

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
What do you want? Different body types or skin tones? I'm fine with either, just trying to gauge the community wants.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
What do you want? Different body types or skin tones? I'm fine with either, just trying to gauge the community wants.

Any combination of things that differentiate human beings from each other more than they currently do.
That doesn't imply turning them into hideous toothless monster people like suggested here. I honestly don't think the way we present humanity on a screen has been for the best at all (across media in general).

Square is still on that retro Disney formula of only the villains can be imperfect in their complexion, but even then a lot of the time they still look like perfect androids.

Oct 2, 2018
They've lost me.

Look at ghost of Tsushima and the ordinary looking characters in it. I'd rather those then the weird FF characters

calloumiii

Sep 14, 2018
"Pretty" characters is just a staple of the series at this point. I wouldn't go into your average western RPG with a more gruff, realistic style and demand that everyone turns into a bishonen, because that's not what the series is aiming for.

In terms of diversity, however, I agree. The amount of notable black characters I can think of in the entire series can be counted on one hand, and only Terra and the girls from X-2 are repping the ladies in terms of lead roles (unless you stretch and include Ashe).

I also see the whole 'anime is white people' thing far too often and it makes me fairly uncomfortable - I'm fairly certain that the Japanese artstyle, created in Japan by Japanese people, is not solely creating white characters. While I definitely agree on needing more diverse cast members in the games, I think writing the current cast off as white is severely missing the point.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't go into your average western RPG with a more gruff, realistic style and demand that everyone turns into a bishonen, because that's not what the series is aiming for.

This is absurd because western RPG's generally suffer from the same lack of diversity, just a little less sometimes. Absolutely demand more from both. This isn't one or the other being opposite ends of any kind of spectrum of visual identity that's set in stone.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Nah, but they look like doll versions of them with added Euro features sure.

If they did there wouldn't be mass confusion whether FF characters were Asian or White. That's the thing with anime, it generally excludes a lot of racial features and nuances in favour of everyone looking "perfect".

I believe they're supposed to be Asian, but heavily stylized. Its why Ghost of Tsushima made the rounds. God forbid we represent people as they are. Japan is so focused on this that they actually called Jin ugly and docked it points for not having pristine waifu characters.

Euro features? Looking perfect? Artists with anime-like style are just making that, characters in a different style. It has its roots in western cartoons not western people. It's intentionally not going for complete realism.
The matter with bishounen protagonists has nothing to do with that.

Also you're taking the sparse comments about Jin's appearance way too seriously.

Anyway, I'm all for more diversity in skin color and gender, but Final Fantasy should still keep the style it has until now.

Sep 14, 2018
In terms of diversity, however, I agree. The amount of notable black characters I can think of in the entire series can be counted on one hand, and only Terra and the girls from X-2 are repping the ladies in terms of lead roles (unless you stretch and include Ashe).
And Lightning and Serah?

Ashe shares the spotlight with too many people but so does Terra so idk how you count her and not Ashe.

calloumiii

Sep 14, 2018
This is absurd because western RPG's generally suffer from the same lack of diversity, just a little less sometimes. Absolutely demand more from both. This isn't one or the other being opposite ends of any kind of spectrum of visual identity that's set in stone.

As I said, I absolutely agree that diversity needs to be seen in FF as a series, and also I agree that it needs to be seen in western games also. But I wasn't referring to diversity at that point as much as I was artstyle.

In a grittier game, characters will looks more gruff than in the likes of FF, wherein the characters look more "boyband"-esque. These games have their own visual identity and there's no reason they can't stick to them if they so choose (unlike matters of diversity, where I'd argue they have a moral imperative to broaden their character catalogue). It might not appeal to you in particular, but will still appeal to their core base.

calloumiii

Sep 14, 2018
And Lightning and Serah?

Ashe shares the spotlight with too many people but so does Terra so idk how you count her and not Ashe.

I knew I forgot someone, thank you. And I chose Terra because she's basically the face of FFVI while the face for FFXII, for better or worse, is Vaan. It was more a wry joke at how Ashe has far more importance to the plot despite not being given the actual spotlight.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
no make them even prettier i love them pretty

more non men would be nice tho

and more poc pls

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
It's definitely easier to argue that the protagonists are white when you consider white the standard human appearance and relate any facial feature to being white, even when they are very common on other ethnicities like... you know, very light skin. Japanese people made those characters to be japanese and if you ask any asian (I know taking asian people's opinions into consideration is not very common on ERA, but try it out) if those characters look white they'll laugh on your face.
I'm no Final Fantasy expert, but surely certain characters are unambiguously considered white, right? I think it'd be weird for someone to look at Cloud and say "yeah, that's a blue-eyed, blonde-haired... Japanese dude!" If we can say Barret is black (which he obviously is), then we can say Cloud is white.

Not even trying to go all in-depth with a "guess the race of these Final Fantasy characters" game of some sort, just saying that for certain characters, it's quite evident what their race is, and it ain't always Japanese.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I'm no Final Fantasy expert, but surely certain characters are unambiguously considered white, right? I think it'd be weird for someone to look at Cloud and say "yeah, that's a blue-eyed, blonde-haired... Japanese dude!" If we can say Barret is black (which he obviously is), then we can say Cloud is white.

Not even trying to go all in-depth with a "guess the race of these Final Fantasy characters" game of some sort, just saying that for certain characters, it's quite evident what their race is, and it ain't always Japanese.
Okay, as long as white is "light skinned" and not european-race-white. Japanese people can have blue eyes, and the combination of Cloud's haircut and hair color have more to do with the "delinquent" archetype, and while Cloud specifically doesn't dyes his hair, the delinquent archetype frequently does.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, as long as white is "light skinned" and not european-race-white. Japanese people can have blue eyes, and the combination of Cloud's haircut and hair color have more to do with the "delinquent" archetype, and while Cloud specifically doesn't dyes his hair, the delinquent archetype frequently does.
Cloud doesn't really have any Asian features. They can say he's Japanese if they want, but again, that'd be like saying Barret is Japanese, when all of us can clearly see he's a black man.

If Cloud doesn't dye his hair, then it seems he's a blonde white dude. Not saying that's a positive or negative, it's just what the character is. Of the four playable characters in 7R, only Tifa has more Asian looking features, I'd say.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I have no objections whatsoever to a racially diverse protagonist or a lgbtq protagonist. In fact I would prefer it these days just to get some variety from the usual cookie cutter BS, but if I'm going to spend the majority of my time playing and looking at a character I would prefer the character actually look nice either through their physical features or their overall design.

That's not to say that there shouldn't be other options for other people if they want to create their character a certain way or just have some kind of alternative option. I'm just saying I personally would prefer my character to look nice in general. If I'm going to be going on adventures spanning an entire world I just would personally prefer my character to be young and athletic. That's just my personal preference though.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Asia isn't exempt from having severe colorism issues and going after eurocentric beauty ideals. It's a problem everywhere.

And before you pull the western view point bullshit I am literally from and live in asia.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
If I want my character to look like a train wreck, I'll play Elder Scrolls or Dark Souls.

Lol, I tried to make my Skyrim character look good, but was impossible.

We all know ugly people or older people don't have adventures or do anything worth doing.

Young protagonists are very rare in western AAA games. I remember 3: Spider-Man, TLOU 2 and HZD.

What's the problem with a few JRPG series with them?

Deleted member 43552

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2018
Massive FF fan (icon makes that obvious...) but yes I'm quite sick of this trend. I don't see it changing however.

Beyond the obvious lack of POC in FF, the equally large issue to me is the lack of characters that are over 20-25 years old. Why not have a protagonist that is 40+. Perhaps that even plays into the overall story, etc.

cairngorm

Oct 25, 2017
Meeeeh. FF9 models look...sorta goofy. :/
They look like more anime versions of Dark Crystal muppets lol
But also the girls look more standard "typical pretty women" (can't make girls weird/unique looking!! no one wants to fuck that) compared to the fellas. Brahne was, but it was played for laughs (and totally unexplained why she's blue).

final-fantasy.jpg
I love how varied the characters designs in 9 are. Too bad it's very unlikely to see in modern FF aside from maybe 14 depending on your party.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Cloud doesn't really have any Asian features. They can say he's Japanese if they want, but again, that'd be like saying Barret is Japanese, when all of us can clearly see he's a black man.

If Cloud doesn't dye his hair, then it seems he's a blonde white dude. Not saying that's a positive or negative, it's just what the character is. Of the four playable characters in 7R, only Tifa has more Asian looking features, I'd say.
He doesn't have any asian features? I've just explained how his hair color comes from a archetype of japanese characters, his facial features are are similar to Tifa's and Aerith's. Barret is a completely different different case.

Nothing about the presentation or coding or mannerisms of Cloud makes him any less japanese than Tifa.