• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
No I don't mind. Make them even more bishounen. It's that the MC looks bad that is my main point of criticism. But I don't mind the older version of the MC. Also looks generic but at least he's nicer to look at.

It can and should definitely be more diverse in people and cultures being represented. All white europe is such a turn-off.

Mib

Nov 16, 2017
To be fair, 1-6 and 9/10 didn't look like that at release. They were still attractive, but not in a modern anime pretty boy look.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
To be fair, 1-6 and 9/10 didn't look like that at release. They were still attractive, but not in a modern anime pretty boy look.

Yeah, most of those designs bear little resemblance to the originals and some are even from different games. Like that Zidane who looks like Tara Reid is from Dissidia, not FFIX.

That said, I'm not keen on the doll look that the modern games go for.

Oct 28, 2017
My main problem is with the silly haircuts.

Final Fantasy protagonists (and antagonists) must spend every second Friday afternoon in the salon getting their 'do' done.

Not to mention their morning routine - they must get through an awful lot of hairspray and that shit bad for the environment.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
ffto.jpg

I'm ok with the pretty guys, it's the jpop fashion that gets kind of annoying to me.

To be fair, gruff "unconventional beauty" 30-something MC in western games have become kinda of stale and boring too.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I want them to look more pretty in the Amano style than the Nomura style that they seemingly take more often than not.

I want these games to take on sort of a slightly abstract, painterly look.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I do like how pretty and unique it is...but they literally all look the same now.

I'd love a game to adopt facial capture. The results are so much more unique.
d00.jpg

I Like how people keep quoting this image and yet all of the images (expect Noctis) are from Dissida, it's not really representative of how most of them looked in there own game and heck Shantotto and Y'shotla aren't even the protags of there games. A similar thing happens with Warrior of Light and Onion Knight who are stand in for player self inserts

Were the 2 faces shown 2 different characters or just an older version?
The answer is yes, i've been tired of it for a long time. You have this setting with people walking around old farm towns and they all look like they just came from a fucking modelling photo shoot.

The weird Jim Sterling vendor in the new Resident Evil game though.

that's Cecil, he starts of in his armor as a Dark Knight then over the course of the story he eventuality changes his job to a Paladin

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The Dissidia artstyle is the worst thing ever and no one will convince me otherwise

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
It's not so much that they're pretty as it is they all dress the same. You could take all the main characters and they could make one big boy band

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason I just assumed there'd be a character creator for the guy you play as, guess that isn't the case.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Not this shit again. Do you guys just want all games to look like western open world stealth-action games? Games like final fantasy and some Japanese games are almost the only ones left doing bishounen/bishoujo protagonists, at most western games have a few female protagonists like Abby/Ellie/Alloy in a sea of gruff realistic men.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nomura is getting into same-y territory with the designs, happens to all the big ones tbh.

He is doesn't even switching the facial features now lmao.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
It's not the character designs that are the problem here. It's the cookie cutter vapid personalities.
That said, I don't expect Square Enix to ever change which is why I now go elsewhere for my JRPG fix.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I just want them to make a curly haired protagonist for once.

I mean, it's probably a trends thing, but you rarely see curly hairstyles in japanese media anymore, even if they were everywere in the 80s.
D2n47t4WsAAWoBp

I Like how people keep quoting this image and yet all of the images (expect Noctis) are from Dissida, it's not really representative of how most of them looked in there own game and heck Shantotto and Y'shotla aren't even the protags of there games. A similar thing happens with Warrior of Light and Onion Knight who are stand in for player self inserts

that's Cecil, he starts of in his armor as a Dark Knight then over the course of the story he eventuality changes his job to a Paladin
As someone who started playing Final fantasy with the DS version of III it's always really sad how they always ditch Luneth and the rest of the gang in favor of the Onion Knights :T

Last edited:

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Gimme himbos, twinks, and femboys ALL DAY I never get sick of em

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Don't mind how the faces look, I just wish the hair wasn't always that crazy impossible spiked style.

It's so satisfying when a character has physically possible haircut.

I didn't mind the spikey stylized hair in the old 2D oor polygonal games since it gives them a way to differentiate them, but in modern games I just don't like it.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
No, I like how FF characters look, whether it's Nomura or Yoshida as the lead. I think its cool you can take one look at a FF screenshot and know it's FF.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
I would love if they could actually take Amano's character designs and bring them into a 3D world. Like exploring a living painting. But that level of detail and craziness would be tough to pull off and animate convincingly with a reasonable budget.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I feel this is the minority now all other male protagonist are gruff bearded dudes. Androgynous male characters are few and far between in AAA games. The only issue I saw was they aren't as pretty as Cloud in FF7R. I'll wait to see more though I want to play as a woman in this action game.

Yep. There is room for both. I don't need a Geralt in Final Fantasy.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I do like how pretty and unique it is...but they literally all look the same now.

I'd love a game to adopt facial capture. The results are so much more unique.
d00.jpg

Meeeeh. FF9 models look...sorta goofy. :/
They look like more anime versions of Dark Crystal muppets lol
But also the girls look more standard "typical pretty women" (can't make girls weird/unique looking!! no one wants to fuck that) compared to the fellas. Brahne was, but it was played for laughs (and totally unexplained why she's blue).

DarkCrystalJenKira.png

final-fantasy.jpg

I didn't realise they all had light coloured eyes.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I have no problem with pretty boy protagonists and the degree to which some people get upset by them is kind of baffling.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
No, I like the Japanese pretty people gaming aesthetic, and find it much better than whatever is going on in Western gaming aesthetic. I would however like to see a more stylized cartoonish look over the unnatural naturalism they've been going for for decades now. The technology is here to bring Amano's art to a game with no compromises. I'm glad they've moved on from Nomura's "fashion" style for 16, but frankly realistic Medieval is dull and none of the original Final Fantasy's were actually in that style anyway.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The complaining about this is how you can tell this is how straight male dominated forum, lol.

Also the image in the OP is very misrepresentative, essentially every game in the series has a different art style and aesthetic so using a spin-off game with every character crammed into a unified (and lackluster) aesthetic is a bit disingenuous.

The protagonist of FF16 seems older than the typical protagonist of the series, especially his older, 'punished' look. Way more of a Kain than a Cloud, Squall, or Tidus.

It would be nice to see more ethnically diverse characters but based on FF's track record I don't think you want Square tackling that, at least not rn. There recent efforts have been...not good.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a straight male I don't mind the pretty boys. I don't see why any straight male should mind, unless they are insecure...

So much better than that same faced Nathan Drake aesthetic.
Yeah that's not what I'm saying, I don't mind it either. But it's also not pandering to that demographic, and people notice that and react to it, even if it's subconscious.

Oct 25, 2017
You mention Kingsglaive, and then complain about the look of the XVI characters despite the fact that the timeskipped versions of the characters shown in the trailer look like they're straight out of Kingsglaive.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017

This image is a pretty poor representation IMO considering it's literally all the characters in a single unified art style for what I believe is Dissidia (other than Noctis), where they've basically had all style ripped out of them from their individual games.

I'd love to see high quality renders from each game's production materials instead. For example, Zidane looks nothing like that in i his game, Y'shtola also looks quite a bit different.

ffxiv-yshtola-2.jpg

As for your point on them all being pretty, I'm down. I prefer the variety (in their actual character designs, not Dissidia's boring redo) over the bald white dude syndrome that's also commonly found in video game MCs.

Oct 28, 2017
Aye, that's why dropped the series a long time ago. Last FF I played was the one on PS3? Where you fight on top of a super whale or something cant remember which FF was that

The new one at least the MC isn't a pretty 12 YRS old boy instead an older dude so it is more passable and I'm looking forward to it too see if I get it or not