• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
Today is my 29th birthday and I'm feeling rather melancholic, I've done a lot of reflecting and I just don't feel like my life is worth celebrating. I have so much left to accomplish and this anniversary just seems like a blatant reminder that I'm running out of time. Personally, I find it surprising that I'm still alive. That I've made it this far. I've done a lot of stupid shit in my life and somehow I'm still here. It's honestly baffling.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It's my birthday too! I don't get melancholic...I just kinda don't care? Over the past few years in particular my birthday has stopped feeling like a thing to celebrate. Especially since last year as my dad passed away close to my birthday.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I hate my birthday. I've stopped telling people altogether and I'm looking forward to when I've reached a point where nobody knows it and it can just be another day.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I turned 38 last week and had a better interaction from my work associates than I did from my wife and kids. When you expect nothing it's hard to be disappointed :)

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
My birthday is tomorrow, and honestly I'm a little whatever about it. My 20's were mostly a blur, which made me somewhat regretful. Once I hit 30, I made a pledge to myself that I would make this decade of my life as memorable as I could. I feel like I mostly succeeded! I went to grad school, saw the world, got married, had a kid, and am about to move cross-country for a job I love. I want you to create a plan for yourself for the next few years. Make it as uncomfortably challenging a plan as you can while allowing yourself to grow and have fun.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
I cried. I was too busy to organize anything with anybody. As a kid I loved fall and winter more than anything and now it's become the time where my mental issues are at their strongest. I have no idea why.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I did for a little while, then I hit 30 and really just stopped giving a shit. Christmas is what really fucks me up.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I know how you feel. It's even worse for me during the holidays. Thanksgiving and Christmas used to be my favorite times of the year. Now I just sit back and think about how much I loved it when I was younger and how it isn't the same anymore.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Aside from Twitter balloons, emails from sites and forums you signed up for years ago, and a couple texts from friends that got married and moved away, it's kind of a non-event nowadays.
Birthdays have sort of become a "TREAT YO SELF" occasion. Run through the list of free shit you can get, eat some cake, get the obligatory call from family, and call it a day.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been in a funk since my birthday a month ago too, for similar reasons. One day at a time: our worst days haven't killed us yet.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
My 28th birthday is this Sunday. We don't really make a big deal of it. I get presents, a cookie cake that I never eat, and we have a nice dinner out. Nice and chill.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
If it's any consolation, 29 was a much more neurotic/self-reflective mindfuck-ish birthday for me than 30 was. 29 felt like the end - I had to take stock of everything and really think about what I wanted/needed in life. But 30 was a new beginning - it felt promising and freeing, like counting down my 20s no longer mattered. My 30s feel awesome so far - there's considerably less insecurity and I'm still pretty young. Once my body starts to melt (40? 50 if I'm lucky?), I'll probably feel differently haha.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I definitely do. And around the holidays. For me I think about getting older and how limited my time with some of my family is. I also get bummed about how big of an event something like a Bday or christmas was when you were a kid. You'd have bday parties, and it wasn't something you anticipated for a long time leading up to it, and it all felt like such a big deal. Now you get birthday wishes which are great, and you see your family, but it just kinda drives home the passing of time feeling.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
This shit is so true.

422oygP.png

lmao
I never even played this game.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Aside from Twitter balloons, emails from sites and forums you signed up for years ago, and a couple texts from friends that got married and moved away, it's kind of a non-event nowadays.
Birthdays have sort of become a "TREAT YO SELF" occasion. Run through the list of free shit you can get, eat some cake, get the obligatory call from family, and call it a day.

Wow this has never been more true - my birthday was a few weeks ago and it went exactly as you stated. We went to a few places where I got free stuff because it was my birthday and outside of my close friends, family, random forum sites and social media wishing me happy birthday, it's mostly a non-event now which I'm fine with.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
Hey man, it will get better. Turned 29 earlier this year, attempted suicide exactly two months later. The healing isn't linear, but I'm in a much better place.

The most important lessons I learned this year were that you can do nothing wrong and still 'lose', and that everything will happen in its own time (i.e. stop comparing your life to others).

You got this OP!

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
Happy bday. It's mine today also, but I'm getting ready for work as we speak for a mundane job. It's going to be a normal day for me today.

I have made peace with myself in knowing that I won't finish the things I've set out to accomplish. Heck, who knows I might strike rich this weekend with my coworkers from our weekly lottery pool.

Don't sweat it. I feel the same, made worst after being called old because I was there when Rage Against the Machine were still big.

EternalWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
My birthday was a few days ago and I turned 39. Yes, I was sad. A few family members said happy birthday and that was pretty much it. It's just not a special day anymore. My wife took me out to dinner and we talked about it. It felt good to get it off my chest. I still get a twinge of sadness when I think about it though. Being an adult sucks.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Combination of realizing I'm closer to 40 than 30, how little I've accomplished in life, and not one single person calling me, yeah the last one was pretty rough.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
When I was a kid I remember my mom telling me that 29 was the worst but fortunately 39/40 were a lot easier.

I don't think she's lying since I just turned 38. Although 36 wasn't great realizing I was on the back half of my 30s.

I also kinda shame my own fear of aging by remembering that women typically have it far, far worse due to societal pressures. As a guy, I've never been highly valued for my youth and beauty before. Even in the dating world most women date up and most dudes date down in ages (I'm married now so I'm out of that rat race). Maybe if I was in the military or professional sports it'd be different.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
My 30th birthday is on Monday and I have similar feelings.

The year has been a weird time for me since I had a failed 2 year relationship that ended a few months ago but almost all of my close friends got engaged this year.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
In the past few years, most definitely. I don't really look forward to my birthday anymore - way too much pressure and I don't like all the attention on me.

I was at some wineries with my gf and another couple for my birthday this year and a lot of the plans came down to, "it's your birthday, what do you want to do?" Noooo, I hate that! I want to do what everyone else wants to do! I just want everyone to enjoy themselves, don't worry about me!

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Happy birthday, OP!

It's happened to me a few times, but it's primarily due to my birthday being in the middle of winter so I have difficulty trying to think of something to do to get friends together. I also live far out of the way from friends and family. My wife and I usually go out to dinner, but I might try to plan something out since mine's in a couple months.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
I don't use to (for me it's usually just another day), but this year was an exception a couple weeks back.
Like you I was looking back at what I did in my 31 years, and not too proud with the result.

You'll get over it, don't worry.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I can't stand my own birthdays. Get too self-conscious about who I hear from vs who I don't.

It's nobodies fault but this bums me out too. I don't have a facebook and people rely on that for birthday wishes, so people just tend to forget. My parents obviously always remember and my GF/cousin obviously remember then for my best friends it's a toss up which ones will remember.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Yeah, this year I disabled all my social media shit so nobody would remember. I ate a baked potato and went to bed.

Just makes me sad to think of how shit my life is, another year of nothing.

crowphoenix

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I am honestly not of big fan of my birthday or any event that can incorporate moments of focus on me. I'd rather be left alone; cause I just don't really feel that worthy of it.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No.

I did get pissed off at the completely shit presents my Dad and step-mum got me though.

Two shitty discount store mugs (I have way too many mugs already), some hideous swimming shorts I don't need and would never wear and some foul homemade marmalade.

I asked for a bird bath or a DNA testing kit. I don't care if you don't get me that but I expect more thought than some random stuff from TK Maxx and some jars of crap that have been knocking around your house for god know's how long

Oct 29, 2017
Today is my 29th birthday and I'm feeling rather melancholic, I've done a lot of reflecting and I just don't feel like my life is worth celebrating. I have so much left to accomplish and this anniversary just seems like a blatant reminder that I'm running out of time. Personally, I find it surprising that I'm still alive. That I've made it this far. I've done a lot of stupid shit in my life and somehow I'm still here. It's honestly baffling.
It's my birthday too! I don't get melancholic...I just kinda don't care? Over the past few years in particular my birthday has stopped feeling like a thing to celebrate. Especially since last year as my dad passed away close to my birthday.
My birthday is tomorrow, and honestly I'm a little whatever about it. My 20's were mostly a blur, which made me somewhat regretful. Once I hit 30, I made a pledge to myself that I would make this decade of my life as memorable as I could. I feel like I mostly succeeded! I went to grad school, saw the world, got married, had a kid, and am about to move cross-country for a job I love. I want you to create a plan for yourself for the next few years. Make it as uncomfortably challenging a plan as you can while allowing yourself to grow and have fun.
Happy bday. It's mine today also, but I'm getting ready for work as we speak for a mundane job. It's going to be a normal day for me today.

I have made peace with myself in knowing that I won't finish the things I've set out to accomplish. Heck, who knows I might strike rich this weekend with my coworkers from our weekly lottery pool.

Don't sweat it. I feel the same, made worst after being called old because I was there when Rage Against the Machine were still big.
My birthday was a few days ago and I turned 39. Yes, I was sad. A few family members said happy birthday and that was pretty much it. It's just not a special day anymore. My wife took me out to dinner and we talked about it. It felt good to get it off my chest. I still get a twinge of sadness when I think about it though. Being an adult sucks.
My 30th birthday is on Monday and I have similar feelings.

The year has been a weird time for me since I had a failed 2 year relationship that ended a few months ago but almost all of my close friends got engaged this year.
It's my birthday tomorrow...and I turn 43.

It was my birthday yesterday!

Happy birthday to all of my birthday neighbors!!

OP, it starts to become just another day as you get older. But it's nice, and important, to remember to enjoy yourself on your birthday if and when you can. Go out with some friends, buy that video game for yourself, eat some extra sweets or your favorite meal. Happy birthday, bud!

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
It's slowly getting a bit sadder as I think about getting older, but this year I woke up on my birthday and did the math and realized I was a year younger than I'd been thinking I was going into it, so it was like I went back in time. lol

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
It's slowly getting a bit sadder as I think about getting older, but this year I woke up on my birthday and did the math and realized I was a year younger than I'd been thinking I was going into it, so it was like I went back in time. lol

Did you spend an entire year thinking you were a year older than you actually were?

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As a general rule, no, but 30 hit me really hard. Took me a bit to move past it.

This years sucked (35th) but only because of a friend getting really bad news that day

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never cared too much about it. My birthday is coming up and I actually had trouble remembering how old I was turning. For some reason I thought I was turning a year older than I actually am.