• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
it's a good feeling. makes me feel accomplished like someone actually read what I posted.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely exciting seeing an alert. Whether it's actually seeing the red alert appear or even just seeing the number in the browser tab, it's almost like getting, I don't know. A text isn't really the same feeling, because they're usually from people you know and somewhat expected. Maybe like a match in a dating app? The combination of seeing that someone (or multiple people) acknowledges and thought what you said was interesting enough to directly respond to as well as that visual contrast of the big red indicator against the white/purple (#lighttheme) is what does it. Maybe I'm just weird
Here you go. Enjoy the dopamine.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
808s & Villainy
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, it's by design.

And yes, it works on me too

someone plz reply to this so I can get my hit

that's also true, if I posted something 5 minutes ago and I come back and 4 have alerts, I think "Oh god, what did I say"
There you go!

Even if it's by design, it's still fascinating. Whether you dread or look forward to them, there's something to be said about getting a strong feeling from seeing someone has responded to you.
Is it just a feeling of acknowledgement? Is it gamification? What is the reason it causes us to feel one way or another?

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yeah but it's more like a sense of dread thinking I said something asinine and got called out or somebody decided to pick a fight lol

Mar 30, 2019
There you go!

Even if it's by design, it's still fascinating. Whether you dread or look forward to them, there's something to be said about getting a strong feeling from seeing someone has responded to you.
Is it just a feeling of acknowledgement? Is it gamification? What is the reason it causes us to feel one way or another?
Well, I think it's because it is blood red. (So dangerous) But I could be blowing conspiracy nonsense out my bunghole for all I know. Do the colorblind users get the same euphoricness? Maybe they're immune. Maybe it is the bubble shape that eerily shows up, riiiiiight in those screen corners that gravitate the eye.

Whatever it is, the algorithm knows what works.

Also, enjoy your hit. I'll have to stop before the Lux Aeterna event horizon.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only get nervous when its 4+. Which anti snyder people did I piss off today...

Also you think thats bad op.... try discord notifications much more addicting.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, I tend to ignore them.

Except for text messages because it sounds like this:

And then I get pissed when I see it's from work.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
i love it except when i know im in a back and forth argument with someone and they respond way too quickly and im like gah, just let me win the argument dammit

and then i respond and immediately get another notification from the same poster

it's not my fault i love arguing! it's ALL YOUR FAULT ERA

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely exciting seeing an alert. Whether it's actually seeing the red alert appear or even just seeing the number in the browser tab, it's almost like getting, I don't know. A text isn't really the same feeling, because they're usually from people you know and somewhat expected. Maybe like a match in a dating app? The combination of seeing that someone (or multiple people) acknowledges and thought what you said was interesting enough to directly respond to as well as that visual contrast of the big red indicator against the white/purple (#lighttheme) is what does it. Maybe I'm just weird

Have a freebie.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
There you go!

yeah I think it's just acknowledgement. Even if it's someone arguing with you or calling you stupid, it means someone thought that what you wrote matters enough to respond to it.

also explains what motivates some trolls...it's a lot easier to post something so terrible and stupid that 10 people reply to it than it is to post something so insightful and great that 10 people reply to it. This obviously applies to twitter and other online spaces too

Oct 27, 2017
There you go!

The reason they're addictive is it's a social approval indicator (people are liking what I said vs hating what I said) and this is delivered at an unpredictable rate like a slot machine.

Basically, every time you log in there's a chance at learning what people think of you.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
I actually really like the notifications because it gives me a sense of community, even with those I disagree with. Sometimes I feel like I'm just screaming into the void here, but notifications help me realize it is a community.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
No because I'm lazy and it's often someone wanting to engage in debate/conversation with me. I look at maybe one of ten quotes I get on here. Oops.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
No, not really. Maybe several years ago, but as a full time developer and the spouse that's maintaining the house/pool/lawn, I hate notifications. Its a constant battle of telling google to shut the fuck up and allow actual, useful notifications about upcoming appointments and not bullshit ads.

For Android, I disable all notifications except calls. I still silence the phone, unless I'm expecting a call. I retain my childhoods phone number, which is across the country, block all area codes from that state and add exceptions to contacts. That eliminates 95% of bullshit phone calls.

For facebook, I disable all notifications except replies and writing on my wall.

I got tired of linked in adding new notifications so I blocked all linkedin emails.

On windows I disable notification center entirely. It's never important. "Critical issue, onedrive not setup". Stfu

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
If I get a lot of notifications its either I got in early on a thread and many people agree with me, or my opinion is getting bombarded.

Oct 27, 2017
another hit on me brother

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
I have a lot of social anxiety, but I'm trying to post more to combat that a bit. It does bother me a lot how many people seem to insist on interpreting what other people say in the most negative light possible, but I'm getting better at dealing with it.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Either a mod just fucked with me and enabled watch thread for me or I fat fingered watch thread. Funny, I deserve it with my hardline aggressive anti notifications rant

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I think the record for notifications for me was like between 8 and 12 for this one Gamescom thread where I posted that it would be neat if there was a Sunset Overdrive PC port where in reality there already was one and I just didn't hear about it or forgot.

Fucking nerds like calm down please

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
Yes definitely, although it's hugely dwarfed by the feeling I get when a girl I'm talking to sends the latest reply in our conversation. Usually part of my brain has decided for some random reason she's probably lost interest so each time it's like "She hasn't huzzah!"

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i sometimes leave them unread if i just posted an incendiary take

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
I have a red line with the number 232 on it. I dont open click on my notifications 😅. I just leave the tab of the thread open until im done in it.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Oh yeah, I get a small dopamine rush when I get an alert that someone quoted my post. Same thing happens when I get a bunch of upvotes on Reddit or likes on Twitter. It especially happens if one of my pictures on deviantArt pops off.