• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Oh yeah. I should keep what I love as personal delusion. That's gotta be better

Maybe I should do ineffective boycotts against games made with crunch and pat myself on the back as well. That will make me feel good :./

Have you thought about taking a break from gaming and this site?

You seem to have so much angry at the industry and that can't be healthy.

Take a break and a couple of steps back and try to find something you can get true joy out of.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yes every single day for 25 years.

Kidding. It has its ups and downs just like everything but mostly I've had a pretty good time.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Nope.

I think you feel that way as you're well educated on the subject.

If you knew as much about the restaurant industry or the music industry you'd feel equally distressed about that.

Price you pay for being empathetic

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah. I should keep what I love as personal delusion. That's gotta be better

Maybe I should do ineffective boycotts against games made with crunch and pat myself on the back as well. That will make me feel good :./
serious question

have you seen a professional about your crippling depression

because looking at every thread you've made in the last four months, i sincerely believe you need help

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
You feel bad for the devs yet you made a very angry and vindictive thread just a few weeks ago about Bungie

Bruh

Its one thing to be bitter. Its another thing to voice my frustrations towards a developer

serious question

have you seen a professional about your crippling depression

because looking at every thread you've made in the last four months, i sincerely believe you need help

I do visit a therapist every week. Unfortunately, I missed last week's session due to oversleeping.

If I'm being honest, I'm tired of depressing crippling me.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You need to find something to inject some positivity in your life and escape from the viscous self-feeding cycle of negativity you're on.
And it doesn't seem like it can be video games.
Because honestly man from my view it seems like you've wrapped yourself up in your bitterness and depression like a warm blanket that you don't want to let go.

Dec 23, 2017
When do you think this actually occurred?
I would say going into 7th gen it really went downhill. I know this personally. Before this there seemed to be better relationship between publishers and the devs that made the games. Every platform was looked at and there was an effort to support all gamers. That just isn't the case now.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
No, I don't feel bitter but I understand why people feel bitter considering the monetary and business practices that gaming has picked up over the years.

This is why I prefer to be an indie dev. I can choose my hours and don't need to force anti-consumer decisions.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
So you are not a dev, you don't work for a dev and you are not in the industry...but yet you are qualified to call the ENTIRE industry a 'SHIT HOLE"? And if it is so bad for you, why don't you perhaps pick up reading books or other things that is not a shit hole in your so profound and well documented research and analysis?

Why have you not requested a self ban from the Mod's since this industry is such a shit hole, why would you want to be part of a forum that is dedicated to this shit hole industry?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019
No.

Games are a late night escape, after dealing with things like raising kids, paying bills, fixing the house, giving the wife attention, cooking dinner, grocery shopping, sitting in 6 hours of meetings a day...

I may as well be angry at Netflix or the publisher of the book I'm reading.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
IT was already insufferable enough when I studied it in university.

I don't wanna go through the same shit in a workplace
I'm curious what you think it would be like? I can tell you right now, that being in IT/product development is a pretty cushy job...

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
No, I'm saying this as someone who is working on a AAA game and I love my job. Really varies from dev and pub to what conditions you work in. Some are terrible but some are pretty good.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I've been in your position, trust me. It's feels fucking relentlessly impossible, the cliché of a tunnel with no light at the end, and it permeates every fibre of your being and everything you do.

I can also promise you this: creating threads like this will only perpetuate and enhance all the negative aspects. The way you engage with people ITT is with righteous defense of your negative emotions, people will offer sound advice with innocuous and even care filled commentary and you will lash out at them in indignation because what right has anyone to tell you not to feel what you do?

Honestly, if you want this to change then you need to start making small changes. I would very much recommend looking into CBT, that's one of the massive things that helped me begin to shift my mindset. CBT is all about recognizing habitual harm and little walls you place around yourself, and putting markers in place to help recognize them and taking lots of little tiny steps toward something better.

A small step you could make, right now, is to ask this thread to be locked. Then, perhaps think of a positive thing about gaming, maybe even if you don't feel it right now... and create a thread with that topic instead where you could be and interact with people in a positive way. Positive interaction breeds positive feeling, and this tiny little thing could just make your day feel better and lead to another positive interaction.

And, these positive things can snowball... and that's the danger with threads like these, too.

I hope you feel better soon, Hawkster, but I know you can get there <3

Praglik

Nov 3, 2017
SH
I'm an artist in the game industry.
I fucking love it. I wouldn't do any other job and I've been at it for almost 10 years now.

My life story in a paragraph: After art school I couldn't find a job in my small French town. So I said fuck it and moved to Poland (without speaking Polish... or English. Had to learn to survive). After 3 years in different studios I moved to St. Petersburg, Russia for 7x the salary and a lead position in an outsource company working for Ubisoft. It sucked to work outsource, so I moved back to France to work for Ubisoft for real. But in the end the city was incredibly boring, so I moved out and now I live in Shanghai, China.

When your job sucks, CHANGE! If you gather 3+ years of experience, chances are - game studios will fight each others for a piece of your body.

It's very American to burn-out in a job you hate. Most Americans I met abroad told me they'd never go back to US.
Sure, the salary looks higher on paper, but when you account for paid holidays, rent, taxes, healthcare, retirement, gas and car upkeep you're usually having a higher standard of living anywhere abroad as a game developer.

mils

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Find a hobby that will help you build your self-confidence. Any artistic pursuit or skill building basically. Gaming isn't doing you any favors.

May 17, 2018
I'm from the outside looking in, but, so many industries out there go through the exact same stuff the game industry is as well. I hate to feed into your defeatism but, like, I don't think it'll change because that's just they way business works, man. You just have to find what you're comfortable with.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017

Nah. I'm actually quite excited and looking forward to a bunch of announcements and releases.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
There was once a time where a teenage me wanted to make video games. He was so enamored with video games that he exhausted books and videos about how games are made.

But now, knowing how reality kicked me in face multiple times about how fucked the gaming industry is, it makes it all worse. Hell, teenage me would've been so depressed he'll have a hard time getting out of bed.

At this point, it makes me wonder why do devs still wanna stay in that shithole of an industry. It doesn't look like its gonna improve at any time and it won't ever get better even after we're dead

So yeah, I feel very biter about gaming industry and I feel bitter that my dreams are nothing more than fucking delusions.

Anyone else feel that way?

Not all games are developed under extreme working conditions. Having teams of hundreds pushing and overworking themselves to reach specific release windows.

For instance, I work with a small team developing games for the educational market. I work 9-5, five days a week. With a month of vacation time. Occasionally, there will be a few 10 hr work days here and there. But that is totally voluntary on my part because I get really excited working on some projects. I love the process of making games.

No offense... but maybe some people are just more passionate about it than you. Some love to create, while some would rather consume.

May 16, 2018
The gaming industry needs to continue improving, but so does the American work culture in general. I wouldn't say game development is any more egregious than any other field, although I could be wrong. We at least appear to be trending in a positive direction.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
What? Why? No!

Every single day I love going to work, taking on challenges of all sorts, figuring things out as I go, talking to awesome people in the office about random things, fighting and putting out fires, and a lot, lot more.

Even with all the hate that as part of EA and DICE we get, I would never consider doing anything else.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No.

If the latest news makes you feel bitter you're looking at it the wrong way.

The more these issues get brought up the better things will get.

I think we're still in a golden age of gaming that's being going on since the last 80's.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not bitter, just indifferent. I don't care about online or services or having infinite chores to do. When consoles are praised because of their subscription models rather than their games, it's just like... eh, I can easily see myself not playing video games in the future, even though I used to think I'd never stop.

That said I think I will always randomly find a game that I binge every now and then. It will just most likely be indie games.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I have no idea how games were made until recently and how bad it is for so many of the workers, and yeah it's kind of hard not to be disgusted with how people making the games we love are being treated.
And as a consumer I think the industry is worse than ever

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I feel no different. Any and every job that exists will have times you're working your ass off. It's part of being an adult. I think that recently a lot of younger (college age and younger) who don't have any experience with the working world are shocked that jobs in industries they love aren't always fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.