• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Threadmaking Privileges Suspended: Frequently Creating Concerning Threads
There was once a time where a teenage me wanted to make video games. He was so enamored with video games that he exhausted books and videos about how games are made.

But now, knowing how reality kicked me in face multiple times about how fucked the gaming industry is, it makes it all worse. Hell, teenage me would've been so depressed he'll have a hard time getting out of bed.

At this point, it makes me wonder why do devs still wanna stay in that shithole of an industry. It doesn't look like its gonna improve at any time and it won't ever get better even after we're dead

So yeah, I feel very biter about gaming industry and I feel bitter that my dreams are nothing more than fucking delusions.

Anyone else feel that way?

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. There are good people making fantastic things in sustainable ways. AAA may lean towards shit-hole-ery, but even there has seen a lot of improvement. It has been bad, it's gotten better, and there are people out there creating things in ways that don't grind them down into dust.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Nah, things have been going peachy for all my favorite devs. It's a great time to be a fan of Japanese and indie games.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
There was once a time where a teenage me wanted to make video games. He was so enamored with video games that he exhausted books and videos about how games are made.

But now, knowing how reality kicked me in face multiple times about how fucked the gaming industry is, it makes it all worse. Hell, teenage me would've been so depressed he'll have a hard time getting out of bed.

At this point, it makes me wonder why do devs still wanna stay in that shithole of an industry. It doesn't look like its gonna improve at any time and it won't ever get better even after we're dead

So yeah, I feel very biter about gaming industry and I feel bitter that my dreams are nothing more than fucking delusions.

My brother told me to never work in a field doing something I love. That it would make the thing I love incredibly less enjoyable. I am glad I took his advice

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Gaming industry feels like 10x better than the current shithole I work in, so nope.

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
It's actually excellent advice. Keep what you love as hobby for personal fulfillment. Once something is a responsibility that you have to devote 40+ hours a week to, the shine will wear off no matter how much you cared going in.

Oh yeah. I should keep what I love as personal delusion. That's gotta be better

Maybe I should do ineffective boycotts against games made with crunch and pat myself on the back as well. That will make me feel good :./

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

you honestly think other industries are better? What do you do for a living?

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
With more people than ever making games, it's hard for me to feel bitter about the overall industry. Sure, the big players often make some bad moves, but that isn't enough to overshadow all of the great games that've come from smaller developers.

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This is industry.

The music industry fucking sucks and is full of fake, capitalist pigs. That's why punk exists. If you love a thing and you need to create then you find a way to create. Don't stress about the shit at the top. Don't go and work for a big publisher or a platform holder. Make your own path, make your own game. Help someone who's making their own game if you're not the type to want to create on your own. I couldn't write songs when I was a teenager so I learned how to play bass and played with people that could. I put on shows. I didn't care about the latest story of execs and music industry horror. I now work in music and have done for over a decade. It both fucking sucks and it's also the best job in the world and I wouldn't change it for anything.

Don't be disheartened by horrible stories from AAA and the like. This is art, it's creative and it's supposed to be fun. Do it on your own terms.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I think saying it is the same in any other industry is glossing over how bad game development can be. I don't know if things changed, but when i was in school for CS game developers got paid less than more other industries and had worse work/life balance.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Nada. Adult life sucks. Part of this is because you start to understand more and more about other things, especially your hobbies.
Sure I loved the ignorant bliss of being a kid, but knowing more let's you appreciate more too imo.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019

Maybe I should do ineffective boycotts against games made with crunch and pat myself on the back as well. That will make me feel good :./
It's just advice that he gave me. I chose to take it. I still love gaming even more than I used to - enough to where I bought a $2k pc. I just find for me personally, it's led to me NOT dropping the hobby I love.

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Adult life had a lot of disappointments. This is just another one of them. It's best not to dwell on it and focus on stuff that doesn't suck.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Not all games are the same, not all games are created the same way. Being bitter about the bad examples seems a bit one sided.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Thankfully indie development has given space for buying games and supporting developers that aren't part of the hellscape that is the triple A deep space inferno.

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like there's never been a better time to be playing games. Everything just keeps getting better and better. Next generation is just around the corner, can't wait!

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I can say that most of the people I have met who work in the games industry are pretty happy to be working in the games industry.

That doesn't mean things couldn't or shouldn't be better.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Working in the games industry is definitely the shittiest choice for a software engineer. Just the way it is. All other industries are better for that job. (Not to say there aren't outliers, but all other industries will pay better with less stress & demands)

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Yeah. Thankfully indie development has given space for buying games and supporting developers that aren't part of the hellscape that is the triple A deep space inferno.

FUCKING FINALLY!!! Someone who understands me.

But the thing is, indie development don't necessarily have the budget I would want for my own dream game

Deleted member 64301

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 4, 2020
There's something beautiful about middle schoolers from native english speaking countries with anime avatars talking about the failures of capitalism.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017

"personal delusion"? What the hell are you talking about? I said nothing even slightly close to what you interpreted it as. This is like "Hey, how are you today?" "No, you go fuck yourself you miserable shitstain!" levels of interaction.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
FUCKING FINALLY!!! Someone who understands me.

But the thing is, indie development don't necessarily have the budget I would want for my own dream game
Well, honey, the thing is, it stops being about what you want and more about trying out new things, trusting developers to give yourself to what they've made, and even just buying them to support the developers even if the games are not all that. "Dream games" are part of the narrative that drives the Big Games industry and it should be left behind.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
the satisfaction of creating something new is addicting, and incredible

Dec 23, 2017
Yes I feel bitter about it. But nothing can be done. I miss the innocence and ignorant teenage me. I miss publishers actually caring about the gamers and not just profits. But this is the way of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.