• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
next gen can't come soon enough. After Lou2 and ghost, I'm more than happy to retire my PS4 pro and move on to next gen ASAP.

Ruin

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
I can't even play PS4 Pro versions of games that I have tried on the Xbox One X solely due to higher resolution, Playing Nier, rdr2 or even Fallout 4 on the pro after the X is as if the character took their prescription glasses off and started walking around, everything is blurry and not as clear.

Loading times and texture pop ins are also killing me. SSD improved the loading times tremendously on my pro but not the pop-ins.
Bring on next gen already. I need all the QOL improvements.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Going from PC to PS4 is pretty rough these days. Not so much for visuals, but for the massive load times, pop-in, etc.

I will say it doesn't feel as bad as last gen though. That last year of PS3/360 felt like an eternity.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Hell nah. We need next-gen right now. The longer it takes for these consoles to come out the longer cross-gen will last. And after that Unreal 5 demo I am thirsty as fuck for some real next-gen games.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I want next gen now

Just the speed is what I want and not a clunky as fuck UI

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Honestly, until it shows me some games with gameplay that simply wouldn't have been possible this generation, or last generation, then I'm not seeing the need for more triangles.

More triangles are nice, yes, and pretty. But more triangles don't play much of anything. Show me a game that cannot be made now, be it scale, be it interacting with physics, or a different way to play, then you have my attention.

New generations have to earn their upgrade tax for me. Show me something new. So far, nothing yet, but it's early enough that there might be something later.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, we can do another year without next gen. In fact, we actually will do another year or two even with most new games being crossgen and looking mostly like current gen games but with higher res / fps / some additional details. Hence why it's better to start the next gen now - the sooner it'll get to a point where something like GTA6 could be profitable as next gen only game - the better, and for that next gen must be on the market for a couple of years at least.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Mid-gen refreshes made the wait a bit easier, but I want to see the next step. Plus more sequels to some of my favorite games. It's going to be great to see what that extra power can do.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
yea these consoles need to gtfo. They overstayed their welcome tbh. Ready for PS5/SEX YESTERDAY

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
There's absolutely a need, current-gen experiences have easily started to feel stale, especially compared to what next-gen will bring.

This might be a case of "you don't know what you don't know" about the changes next-gen is going to bring to pretty much evert fundamental part of the gaming experience, from platform/OS functionality to graphic fidelity and performance. I don't think it's quite possible to overstate, at this stage, the big improvements we're on the cusp of.

I really feel threads like these are people arguing against their own best interest.

You've summed up my thoughts better than I could so I'm just going to quote this post.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Every generation change brings the same threads, questions, excitements and doubts. It's very funny for some who has been through a bunch of them.
I didn't buy a ps pro because I didn't feel the need and wanted to be wowed by a proper generation shift, I'm more than ready for next gen to arrive. Haven't been this excited regarding gaming in years.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Current-gen consoles were slow on arrival with their garbage CPUs and mechanical drives. Next-gen can't arrive soon enough.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
There is a need but so far it feels like there won't be much of a jump. Just fast load times. We already have great detail, great lighting, and infinite world sizes this gen. We already have great smoke and reflections. Improvements in these areas are very low impact. Advanced physics and AI are the next frontier, any it would appear the big players are not interested in the R&D necessary for this. Maybe the hardware isn't there yet.

I expect the cross gen phase to last way longer this gen and in the end we'll see some new experiences from the indie scene kinda like how No Man's Sky and Minecraft came out.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
While great looking games are still releasing, the systems are starting to show their age in all the limitations that are plain to see. It's even limiting game design at this point. Let us move on, please. We don't need more pretty games with loading sections disguised as squeezing through a crack in the wall.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
i mean...sort of?

but i only say this because we had the PS4 pro and XB1X. i maintain that it was a mistake to have these midrange consoles appear. they took away from the excitement of seeing a proper generational leap with the ps5/xboxwhatevertheyrecallingit

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I think the jump from PS4 to PS5 is wayyy more exciting then the jump from PS3 to PS4.

It may take a while to manifest why it matters to the consumer so much, but developing for it is a complete different way of thinking of things (from raytracing to having a SSD in every system)

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The Pro and X have helped with the wait. As this year goes on, though, I'm starting to feel ready for next-gen.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
I couldn't really care less. At least devs will now be forced to better take advantage of SSD's.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Somewhat, but mainly because I feel like my experience with a PS5/XSX will be very similar to my experiences with a One X. The tech bump is cool, and the games will look better, but will the games actually be worth playing right away? Will the games actually be better, quality-wise? I'm not sure. The beginning of this gen was truly terrible, after all...

billion

Dec 22, 2017
with the current technology being released. Studio's are making their engines adapt to old hardware while seamlessly being able to adapt to new gen hardware making games look completely new (if that makes sense?).

I can see PS4 & X ONE holding on another 4-5 years tops. Developers did a great job preserving their games entertainment wise. Especially with Sony investing a lot in their I.T infrastructure to keep their old games alive.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Been feeling like that for a while. Solidified by today's UE5 demo, I'm just not impressed by the jump. Diminishing returns and all that I guess.

Won't be getting any next gen console until there's exclusive stuff that I find super appealing, which is a rarity for me with modern triple A games.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
Playing FFVIIR and JedI Fallen Order and Control in the last year is making it very clear how absolutely dated these consoles are and how I cannot wait to get my hands on next gen consoles.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
Nah. Playing Control and Jedi Fallen Order on current gen was pretty convincing that it is time for next gen.

Playing FFVIIR and JedI Fallen Order and Control in the last year is making it very clear how absolutely dated these consoles are and how I cannot wait to get my hands on next gen consoles.
Lol said it right before me

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. The CPU limitations of the current gen are getting long in the tooth. It's time to start the transition to a new gen.

Jun 22, 2019
I've never once felt there was a "need" in any generation (and I think the only game system I ever bought near launch was the DS), but when enough people want and profit is there, the market follows.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh The whole covid19 situation made me realise that I'm tired of this generation and I just want next gen right now
Yeah I didn't really care a ton beforehand since I only bought about 2-3 games a year the past few years but now that I have the free time to play more, I'm so ready to move on.

I've never once felt there was a "need" in any generation (and I think the only game system I ever bought near launch was the DS), but when enough people want and profit is there, the market follows.
The 360 and PS3 really struggled to run certain games at the end of last gen. It kinda started with Far Cry 3 where I really started to see the systems slow down but it became really apparent with GTA5 the next year.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Agreed OP, but the issue for me is my limited gaming time due to adult life. There is so much stuff in the PS4, Switch, PS3 3DS and Wii U library that I want to go back and play.. that I don't even care for next gen at this point. It will probably take me 3 years or so until I decide to get a PS5.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Nah look at how FF7 remake runs and you will see exactally why we need a new generation of consoles.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Graphically? Yeah I think it's fine right now.

It's all the other shit - a fast ui, quick loading and logins, And some other stuff I'm forgetting. Things are far from smooth right now. The less I can look at my phone while playing a game the better.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
there's never a need for any of this stuff
but it's been enough time and tech has moved far enough along that I am more than ready to see another jump like this. and with how games usually trend during the cycle of hardware, I cant even imagine what we'll be seeing on ps5 in 3-4 years. hot damn.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
If they just kept pumping out games at the current level for the rest of my lifetime, I'd be fine. But I do agree that faster loading would be nice. Mmmmm SSD.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I'm excited. It'll give me an excuse to finally get a 4K TV along with the PS5.

That being said, I feel like going from PS3/360 -> PS4/Xbone was much more exciting, and I felt like there was more "pressure" for upgrades. Maybe the current pandemic just has my mind on other things? Maybe I'm just older? I remember my excitement for the PS3 and 360 was through the roof as well.

Anyone else feeling like we could go another year without the PS5/XSX? Or am I just an old man at this point?

Also keep in mind this was a unique generation in the sense that both these companies offered significant upgrades to their systems that many people bought. I don't have a pro or an Xbox one, but maybe if I did I would feel more that way.

I'm also older (36) and remember being hyped for the N64/PS2 launch (had Nes and Genesis but to young to know about upcoming things then). I don't get nearly as excited as I used to for new console generations but still excited.

I certainly don't "need" it in the sense that I have a massive backlog as well as plenty of games that I would play again, but I will be buying very close to launch I'm sure.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing mainly on PCs equipped with nvmes and then going back to a PS4, yeah it's needed, and it is mainly SSD related so I'm glad that's a focus.