• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
there are way too many games i'd like to play. no way i'll ever have time to get to them all. so no, no drought for me..

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A drought is not the same thing as you not being interested in the games coming out, OP. Good lord.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Idk man, I am getting Assassin's Creed, Spider-Man, Cyberpunk, Super Mario 3D All Stars, and Pikmin 3 this year. Sure, the two Nintendo releases are remasters but I never played Pikmin 3 or Galaxy and I haven't play the other two games since I was a teenager. Also, Valhalla and Cyberpunk alone could keep me occupied for the rest of the year.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it really depends on your taste. Personally, so many games come out all year round that I have trouble finding time to play them all.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
For most of the year yes

but tony hawk, avengers, and total wars three kingdom expansions came out so it's picking up a bit

plus the mario games in 3 weeks

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
I wonder if it's related to the fact that thousands of people are dying everyday to the point that we have to hide in our houses so we don't get sick and die to... what do you think, OP?

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Drought of games is very different to games one has no interest in. You mentioned you weren't into skating games... Well that doesn't mean the THPS collection game doesn't exist or got released. It's like saying we have a drought when FFVII or CoD came out if you don't like fps or jrpg genres. Not to mention a mass of Indies. Avengers came out yesterday so many will or will not buy, but throughout September it is chock a block full of new releases.

Sep 22, 2019
Actually there are so many games that my backlog is just too big at the moment that I have decided to stop following what is releasing next.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Not in the slightest, Wasteland 3 is out, and its easily GotY, CK3 is a close second. Spiritfarer is the best Indie I've played since Pyre. Tony Hawk is hitting a lot of people really well. Avengers is a welcome surprise vs the demo. The early part of the year was barren it seemed. There was P5Royal, and thats like it?

nny

Oct 25, 2017
Right now I'm playing moon, and just finished Manifold Garden, The Last Campfire and Deliver us the Moon (this last one had the physical release now, so it's not _technically_ a brand new release) - so there have been a few new things for me :)

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Droughts used to happen when games schedules were constrained to larger scale releases. These days there's like dozens every week, there's so many I've added to wish lists that I stopped counting. What continues is the need some have to only count upcoming releases as exciting, which I kinda get if you play dozens of games a year or whatever, but there's enough great games of all shapes and sizes that have been released this gen alone to keep me going for years.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn, Wasteland 3, Crusader Kings III back to back. You have a weird notion of a drought.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No? There's a boatload of amazing stuff. Spiritfarer, Moon Remix, A Short Hike, several great titles in both the Switch and PS4 sales, there's a ton of games being released all the time, and I never run out of anything to play.

You need to broaden your horizons beyond "AAA" games, OP.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I am going through my last gen backlog, there are like hundred games i own on switch and another on Gamepass... i play 80-100 games a year so its not like i started last year with this. There are enough great games fot everybody. You just need to broaden your horizons

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I used to have this issue where I could only enjoy new releases (and mostly AAA) for a time, but this mostly stopped and I ended up being able to enjoy any and everything old and new during new release drought periods. That being said I'm kinda in a gaming funk now regardless where I just can't really get into anything. I was blown away by TLOUII and then blown away by Paper Beast but since finishing those I haven't been able to find anything else to really keep my attention.

Part of it is Paper Beast was so damn good it put my brain into that "only into VR" mode that can happen when playing something so immersive that flat screen gaming just can't provide. And if you think 2d games are having a drought hoo boy VR has felt like a desert region in comparison. I know a lot has been affected by Covid but larger VR releases in general feel like they've been on pause since HL: Alyx came out (which was late March). There's some games on the horizon like the second VR Walking Dead game (Onslaught) coming at the end of this month but outside that its pretty barren.

Oh and I'm still salty Hitman VR is timed exclusive to PSVR, shit is annoying when we've been used to much better headsets and controllers+tracking for years now. I have a PSVR but cannot go back to that low res screen, narrow fov tracking area, clunky Move controllers, and the annoying breakout box mess of wires after using a wireless headset with better everything for over a year now. Hitman is probably my favorite series so this stings all the more /rant

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
With the ease of access to games these days, new games, free games, games I love that are constantly updated + clearing my backlog... I legit can't remember the last time I thought "there's nothing to play!"

maybe sometime during the Wii/360 era? 2012? Shiiiiiiit.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Ehoavash, do you have Game Pass? I am drowning in games right now due to Game Pass. I'm finally playing through RE7, and there are several other new games on Game Pass that I want to play as well. Oh, and I'm messing around in Avengers, but I strongly recommend you avoid that one. It's garbage.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I struggle to keep up with everything coming out. This year has been pretty packed for me. And I still have like four or so games I'm still eyeing for the rest of the year so far that have confirmed dates.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I have more free time than ever in my life, and I still don't have time to play all the games I want to play right now.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
See I already played all of that ( aside from deadly Premonition 2 -love swery's story but oooof @ the rest and ff crystal chronicles which again is a old game :/
No offense intended but if you've literally played every game in that list except for one then I don't think the problem is any drought of games. You clearly just have a significant amount of free time and disposable income. Which isn't something to be ashamed of, a lot of people had at least the former during the quarantine, but that's still a lot of video games, some of which are major AAA releases that took years to make and are only like a month old. It doesn't sound like it'd be possible for the video game industry to ever keep up with the rate at which you apparently go through games.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Not really. I have an immense backlog though and only rarely finish games now. Even great games like Ghost of Tsushima. Part of it is due to the fact I only have a base PS4 with low HDD space + I play a lot of new releases. In fact I'd say there's no shortage of games at all, well unless you're on Switch *chuckles*

Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I feel it, I own over a thousand video games and growing across like 8 generations. I'm" drowning in great games to play, even if we count only recent releases.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Nah currently playing Wasteland 3 and I got a few recently released games like Spiritfarer and the Control DLC in my immediate backlog.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I feel the opposite. It might not have the massive AAA releases but enough good stuff has been coming to game pass that there isn't enough time to play everything I want. Great way to expand your tastes and try new things.

PS5 on the other hand feels like the last year of a console. Had it's last big tent pole release and then the waiting game.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not even in the slightest. I already have a backlog from this year alone. Games I've played or are already part of my backlog.

Final Fantasy VII Remake
Ori and the Will of Wisps
The Last of Us Part II
Ghost of Tsushima
Nioh 2
Animal Crossing
Fall Guys
Dreams
Wasteland 3
Tell Me Why
Spiritfarer
Undermine
Avengers

And then there's Cyberpunk 2077, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Kena Bridge of Spirits, Medium, Assassin's Creed Valhalla etc left to come.

Last edited:

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
OP, it seems your game interest is the part of the problem for you. This year is very dense with new, diverse games. And Game Pass has made it cheaper than ever to play so much. I'm not knocking your gaming preferences, but they obviously contributes to your feeling of a lack of things to play. I mean, there is a FLIGHT SIMULATOR game released of all things. The past year has been crazy.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yes because pandemic.

No because overall there have been a lot of major releases in 2020, with a couple still on the horizon.

Yes because I'm not super interested in any of said major releases.

Overall I think it's less a case of "there's currently a drought" and more of "the last couple of years have been nothing but floods".

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I am drowning in games lol. Trying to wrap up spiritfarer, trying to put more time into Avengers, THPS, CK3...trying to circle back to half a dozen games I haven't had time for...

No, not feeling a drought

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Besides a pandemic going around... As a switch owner, in terms of new games? Yes. But I'm totally fine. Got so many games on my backlog to catch up to, and super Mario 3d all stars is going to add to it

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I used to have this issue where I could only enjoy new releases (and mostly AAA) for a time, but this mostly stopped and I ended up being able to enjoy any and everything old and new during new release drought periods. That being said I'm kinda in a gaming funk now regardless where I just can't really get into anything. I was blown away by TLOUII and then blown away by Paper Beast but since finishing those I haven't been able to find anything else to really keep my attention.

Part of it is Paper Beast was so damn good it put my brain into that "only into VR" mode that can happen when playing something so immersive that flat screen gaming just can't provide. And if you think 2d games are having a drought hoo boy VR has felt like a desert region in comparison. I know a lot has been affected by Covid but larger VR releases in general feel like they've been on pause since HL: Alyx came out (which was late March). There's some games on the horizon like the second VR Walking Dead game (Onslaught) coming at the end of this month but outside that its pretty barren.

Oh and I'm still salty Hitman VR is timed exclusive to PSVR, shit is annoying when we've been used to much better headsets and controllers+tracking for years now. I have a PSVR but cannot go back to that low res screen, narrow fov tracking area, clunky Move controllers, and the annoying breakout box mess of wires after using a wireless headset with better everything for over a year now. Hitman is probably my favorite series so this stings all the more /rant
I'm always in a 'wish it was VR' mode whenever I play a modern flatscreen game, but an easy way around this is to just tackle my JRPG list of 90s and 2000s JRPGs. I never really care about the fact that they aren't VR games because it wouldn't add that much when they're a huge step back graphically when we get into PS1 era games.

Honestly any draught can be escaped by just going back to older titles.

Jul 20, 2020
Play Wasteland 3, that game will keep you occupied for a while. I have a long backlog right now, still have to play Tell me Why after.

Manzoli

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I'm Switch only for now and simply can't afford all the games i want to play.

In fact, DekuDeals says that I'd need 3.000 dollars to buy all the games that are on my wishlist.

So i guess... No?

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I have like 300 games on Steam and barely played any of them. I will never not have anything to play if I want. Only nice thing about a backlog I guess.

Oct 31, 2017
its weird its almost fall and i ain't hype or excited about anything coming out this year

Played the avengers beta and shit was just a destiny clone, super disappointed also as a Nintendo fan it is a DROUGHT like mario 3D collection announcement was okay but man i was hoping they were remakes instead of ports and with nothing else on the horizon beside port hell

barely any * confirmed * japanese games on the horizon for this year either =/

still have a little hope for ps5 launch but i doubt its gonna be anything steller beside spiderman dlc which isn't a system seller imo, i'll wait )

but man this drought is real

Drought isn't real at all here?

I played Dreams, RE3, FFVII Remake, Persona 5 Royal, The Last of Us Part II, and Ghost of Tsushima. I have 159 hours just on Persona 5 Royal so far. Fall Guys is fun to play every now and again.

I played older games like Yakuza 2 and Overcooked 1 and 2. I'm currently playing the Ace Attorney trilogy with the lady.

I finished Death Stranding earlier this year, which took a while.

I still haven't played Nioh 2, Doom Eternal, Predator, or tried MLB The Show 20, etc. I don't yet own a Switch, so I haven't been able to play Animal Crossing, which I'd likely sink a lot of time into.

Launch and launch window for PS5 looks like tons of fun just based on Spidey and Ratchet & Clank alone, and even better if Demon's Souls releases around the same time.

I'm getting PS Move controllers, so I'll be able to play Blood & Truth finally, along with the recently released Iron Man.

If anything, 2020 in the world of video games has been bitchin'.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the complete opposite. I can't keep up with all the great games coming out.

THPS 1+2, Crusader Kings III, Wasteland 3, Moon and Microsoft Flight Simulator are all fighting for my attention at the moment. Still have Yakuza 7, the Mafia remake and Cyberpunk coming soon. It's an awesome year for games.