• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
1.) I do find the aversion to wearing shoes a bit extreme. Like going off this thread you'd think that most people were wading through mounds of sand and mud any time they're outdoors.
Although that largely depends on where you are living.

I don't really see a cleanliness difference unless it's raining or something like that.

2.) With that said, I hate wearing shoes. And any opportunity to take them off is always going to be taken.

I also ask guests to disrobe and shower before entering my home.

But in all seriousnesss, I'm Australian, and in Sydney the only people with 'no shoes' houses are my Asian friends. If I asked my local friends to remove their shoes, they would look at me like I'm a crazy person, and vice versa. Maybe streets are less clean in other places? From reading some posts in here it sounds like some countries have very dirty streets.
I can understand this in Australia. No one wants to step on a poisonous animal that made its way in doors.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one needs to see shoes off and on scenes in media and I'm guessing actors generally prefer having shoes on...

It's not surprising at all that it's the default shoes on indoors in media.

Americans don't wear their shoes at home but yeah it's kinda like most of us don't mind if guests are more comfortable with their shoes on, especially if it's a quick visit it's kinda silly to force someobe to take their shoes off and put them back on.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm American and I ask guests to take their shoes off lol

If they want to clean the carpet they can keep their shoes on I guess.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My feet stink I aint taking my shoes off at another person's house, if they ask I rather just leave

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I get that a lot of people around the world think Americans act like the people on TV and in movies, but come on. This just isn't true. I'm an American and not only do I not wear my shoes indoors, I rarely have ever met people who do, and in fact many homes prefer you remove them at the door.

People in games do this probably because the developer just couldn't be bothered making an alteration to the model for that scene.

Same. Never wear them indoors and I feel like most people I know don't either.

Oct 26, 2018
Growing up I always kept my shoes on in anyones house ( unless I was specified to take them off, even the the only time I can remember someone asked me to take shoes off at the door was in the projects and...... There was no reason since the floor was already dirty 🤣.) Usually don't like taking my shoes off also cus, as I notice at least with black people where I'm from, if we take our shoes off at your house, it's considered "gettin comfortable " and end up staying there for almost 8 hrs

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Everyone saying it's "an American thing" and I've never in my life seen anyone not wear their shoes indoors in Spain.
Basically this. And I reckon it's the same in a lot of places in Europe.
I believe people are more and more getting used to the custom of taking your shoes off. Where I live everybody does it (there's a step at the entrance of the houses that shows the limits of where you walk with your shoes), and when I go back to Spain I also take my shoes off at the entrance and my mom started asking visits to do the same.

What bothers me is when people take their shoes up to their beds or something. Yikes..

Also, people's feet stink because they keep their shoes on the whole damn day. Take them off at home and if possible maybe even change footwear at the office (at my office some people wear crocs or sandals that let their feet breath -- and no, it doesn't stink because they've only wore normal shoes for a couple hours tops before that).

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
OK hold on. Those who wear shoes in what is your floor like? Some people keep mentioning wood and it does not sound like people use carpet much, just wondering what type of layout people have.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I was honestly trying to figure out which Sonic character Rio was and thinking about Tails' giant shoes.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Don't most Americans do this?

Terrible habit
Is the whole wearing shoes indoors thing really commonplace in America or is just a tv show thing?

It might be a cultural thing, but it sure as hell isn't an American thing.

Grew up middle class Midwest, now living West Coast and I don't know a single person who would wear shoes inside. It would be considered terribly rude to do so.

Shoes come off at the door. No one wants all that crap from outside tracked into the house.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Growing up I always kept my shoes on in anyones house ( unless I was specified to take them off, even the the only time I can remember someone asked me to take shoes off at the door was in the projects and...... There was no reason since the floor was already dirty 🤣.) Usually don't like taking my shoes off also cus, as I notice at least with black people where I'm from, if we take our shoes off at your house, it's considered "gettin comfortable " and end up staying there for almost 8 hrs
Fucking. Thank. You.

I was literally in the middle of making a big post about this but you summed it up better than I did. As someone who grew up in the South (a black man) I'm seeing people immediately go to dirty floors and people being nasty when talking about Americans but nobody mentioned anything about showing disrespect and getting comfortable. Like, taking your shoes off can be seen as similar as putting your feet on someone's couch when really it's not your couch, it's theirs. That's showing disrespect to them and their property. Not everybody wants you to get completely relaxed like it's your house when you visit their house even if they're cool with you.

Not gonna lie, this Era thread disappointed me. People literally started to make it like Americans are dirty and rather than asking legit questions it's turned into another tipping thread where people take shots because they don't understand it lol.

I literally have never went to anyone's house and immediately wondered how dirty the floors are. The fuck, who does that shit lol.

Last edited:

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
If your feet aren't in shoes 24/7 they don't usually smell anywhere near as bad as you're making it out to be. Unless your guests are coming to your house straight from work or exercising or something? I dunno

I mean you sometimes have people at home that been in shoes for work all day or you coming back with them after hanging out for a couple of hours outside.

If not whole then select few who does shoes in. I get that feet should stink if you wear them 24/7 but I dont know my guest walking all over places in shoes yet had no issue with stink, maybe just change socks more often.

It not really a matter of hygine or switching socks, just depends on the person. Diferent people sweat more or less then others, you can be in shoes in a couple of hours and be fine or smell bad in the same time-frame.

Most houses here are hard wood and like I sair never asked or had a guest ask to take shoes out.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Do you not have carpets in Spain?
Can't speak for all of Spain, but no, carpets are not that incredibly common in houses. Some do, and sometimes just in bedrooms, but most houses I've been to, included mine, have wood flooring. It's normal to go in shoes. Not so much a hygiene issue when wearing them, as it just simply being seen as getting too comfortable when taken off. I'd love if Spain changed in that regard (and again, I believe a lot of Europe does this too), but it will take a while, probably. My mom does it, but even some of our relatives were weirded out a bit at first.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I️ never wear shoes at my place or my family's place but I️ don't take my shoes off in peoples homes unless asked. Would be weird as hell to do so

Jun 23, 2019
It'll never understand why some people wear shoes indoors. It's filthy and uncomfortable and really disrespectful if you are visiting someone else. By wearing shoes in someone else's home you're telling them that you don't care that they have to clean after you leave, and that you're passing by so quickly that you can't even spare 5 seconds to remove your outdoor clothing.
This habit will always be peculiar to be.

LOL This is ridiculous. Not everyone wearing shoes indoors have traipsed through mud, muck, or whatever the hell else you all are afraid they are putting on your carpet. If I go to someone's house and they ask me to remove my shoes, I'll obviously do it out of respect, but I'm not going out of my way to make a big deal about removing shoes if I don't have to.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
Yeah, I've lived all over the United States (25 cities across 10 different states) and most people I know take off their shoes when they get home. I know a couple that don't, but I feel it's far more rare.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
OK hold on. Those who wear shoes in what is your floor like? Some people keep mentioning wood and it does not sound like people use carpet much, just wondering what type of layout people have.
It's not related to how dirty the floors are at all lmao. People just randomly assumed it's related to cleanliness rather than relating to "getting comfortable" and "showing the homeowner disrespect."

Like, I don't know anyone who keeps their shoes on because floors are dirty. That ain't why people do it lol.

AznMan37

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I don't think I've been in anyone's house who wears shoes inside. The only time people keep their shoes on are when there is a big house party.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Where I grew up in NSW Australia, it was always shows on inside, has been the same here in TAS. I've got one friend who asks for shoes to be removed and that's been about it for my whole life. If someone asks me to remove I do, if they don't, the shoes stay on

Also my homes have been mostly wood, laminate, tile, and carpeted bedrooms, with about a 50/50 split on carpeted living rooms.

EnVy_CaLiBeR

Oct 25, 2017
I'm American and I find it weird to wear shoes in the house, but I always ask when I go to other people's house because they may do it differently.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
tenor.gif

Jun 23, 2019
Fucking. Thank. You.

I was literally in the middle of making a big post about this but you summed it up better than I did. As someone who grew up in the South (a black man) I'm seeing people immediately go to dirty floors and people being nasty when talking about Americans but nobody mentioned anything about showing disrespect and getting comfortable. Like, taking your shoes off can be seen as similar as putting your feet on someone's couch when really it's not your couch, it's theirs. That's showing disrespect to them and their property. Not everybody wants you to get completely relaxed like it's your house when you visit their house even if they're cool with you.

Not gonna lie, this Era thread disappointed me. People literally started to make it like Americans are dirty and rather than asking legit questions it's turned into another tipping thread where people take shots because they don't understand it lol.

I literally have never went to anyone's house and immediately wondered how dirty the floors are. The fuck, who does that shit lol.

Fucking preach.

Oct 26, 2018
Fucking. Thank You.

Right like especially in black/urban households, to black mothers, cleanliness is everything so they wouldn't tolerate ANY mess. Only time you are really told to take shoes off is when the floor is freshly mopped. Plus growing up when sneaker culture was really jumping off they way it is now( 2010-2014, before the hypebeast era) I made sure to take care of my shoes so they wouldn't be dirty( yo shoe game is very important in the hood. 2011-2015 is when I was in hs and if your shoes wasn't fresh you'd get clowned)

Deleted member 11796

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking. Thank. You.

europeans ITT seeing any opportunity to shit on americans, ignoring this post:

6uqxUpt.gif

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Thanksgiving was always nuts in that regard cause the whole family came through to OUR house and not a single soul took their shoes off

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Yeah this isn't anything uncommon and I only realized people didn't do this when I entered this thread. How did yall grow up? As a black man yeah we wore shoes in the house when people came over. We take them off when you're getting more comfortable and relaxed and that's rare. I'm imagining going to my homie's house to chill and play games and we all had shoes on back then. That's just what we do lol.

Shoes on the bed is a different story but I figured it's because dude was just dead tired.
Pretty much all of this. I only learned of it being an American thing like a year ago from a previous thread. You take your shoes off when you are "make yourself at home" or it's nasty outside. I have to admit, I would feel strange about a friend walking in and just taking their shoes off. When I think about it though, when kids come over to to play with our kids, sometimes they do ask where to leave their shoes but I use to take it as a kid thing because our kids will walk to the next door neighbors with no shoes on and I would never do that.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Right like especially in black/urban households, to black mothers, cleanliness is everything so they wouldn't tolerate ANY mess. Only time you are really told to take shoes off is when the floor is freshly mopped. Plus growing up when sneaker culture was really jumping off they way it is now( 2010-2014, before the hypebeast era) I made sure to take care of my shoes so they wouldn't be dirty( yo shoe game is very important in the hood. 2011-2015 is when I was in hs and if your shoes wasn't fresh you'd get clowned)
1000000000000000% real. This is tooooooooo true.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
For a long time, I never even knew people wore shoes in their houses. Growing up I was always told to take my shoes off in the house. Granted part of my family is Asian and I hear this is more common in those cultures.

Now when it comes to visits, I don't believe we would outright ask guests to remove shoes. Though non-family visitors were so rare it basically never happened. Family always took off their shoes too.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I was just raised to take my shoes off in the house, but I was "weird" like that among my friends. I just figured it was because I had an Asian mother.

Yeah though. I'd never make any guests take off their shoes, and I'd feel strange as hell if I just took off my shoes at someone else's house without any like... request to do so. That would just be weird.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Speaking as a Minnesotan, for like 8 months of the year, there's snow on the ground and if you come into my house and walk around with your shoes on, you're cleaning up the sopping wet mess you're leaving all over the place.

And uh yes, I want people who come over to feel comfortable in my house. That's why they're at my house.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
If I'm in another person's house, I take my shoes off if they take theirs. That's an easy way to avoid embarassments

If I'm in my own house why the hell would I wear shoes? Shoes suck.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I have to wear custom insoles and those are hella expensive so I only have one pair at the moment and annoying to change into and out of shoes so i wear my sneakers almost all the time because I can't go barefoot for long safely/without terrible pain. If I had more than one pair, I could see having a dedicated house pair.

also, this has to be regional, I'd say 80% of households I've been to in the NJ/NY area are shoes on.

Jun 22, 2018
Most American households where I live wear their shoes indoors and wouldn't ask guests to take their shoes off either.

It's so normal to wear your shoes in people's homes that most people don't think to even ask if it's okay.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much all of this. I only learned of it being an American thing like a year ago from a previous thread. You take your shoes off when you are "make yourself at home" or it's nasty outside. I have to admit, I would feel strange about a friend walking in and just taking their shoes off. When I think about it though, when kids come over to to play with our kids, sometimes they do ask where to leave their shoes but I use to take it as a kid thing because our kids will walk to the next door neighbors with no shoes on and I would never do that.
Right exactly. As kids things were different but as adults things change. I'm thinking back at anytime I've visited someone's house from the ages of say 18+ and unless it was the homeowner, unless we were staying over for the night and we could really relax, we just kept shoes on.

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
I have to say I think it's a bit hilarious how whenever this shoes inside business i brought up on the internet it invariably turns into a huge shitstorm.
shoes-inside.jpg