• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Manac0r

Oct 30, 2017
UK
Yes, been in the biz since I was 8, now 40..and just not cutting it. Some of the blockbuster releases these last few months have kept my attention for a matter of days.

Like a junkie, I keep chasing that immersion.. 4k tvs.. Calibrated HDR... Studio reference sound systems.. And everytime I m left hollow... I hope next gen can fix this otherwise my internal gaming system is broken....

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to wait until the platform-holder tells you it's time for a change. Try a PC?

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm going through The Witcher 1, Dark Souls 2 and Days Gone at the moment. So no, not really.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Hell no. Got so many great games constantly being released, I'm going to be playing current gen for years to come even when I get new hardware.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
no. gen started late for me with switch/ first-ever decent gaming pc in 2017 and i don't have a ps4 yet. i'm kinda stunned next-gen consoles are so close already.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda. Nothing exciting is being made anymore, the RPG genre is completely dead. It's just an utter holding pattern at this point.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not. I actually feel as though I've regained my stride these past 6 months or so. I finally got off mobile gaming and have been playing the shit out of my Switch pretty much every day.

If anything I'd say I'm not even that hype for next gen cuz I'm so invested in my Switch.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
I think getting a switch is a good idea.
So you're tired of the low quality visuals and performance that PS4 is offering, definitely get a Switch. What a total upgrade in that respect!

Dude just get a PC and be done with "generations", or just keep sheeping along.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
No, in fact, when a new generation begins, it is usually when the worst games are for me because I am not very interested in graphic jumps (And games like Killzone Shadowfall and Ryse abound).

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I loved my PS4 this generation, but I can finally see it start creak. Next gen is coming at the perfect time, find myself thinking about the PS5 everytime I boot the PS4 up, can't wait for proper BC, lightning fast SSD, and hopefully performance enchantments for older games.

Oh, and the next gen games which will probably blow us away.

Screenshot_20191014-232407.png

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Last game I finished was Puppeteer, currently playing Breath of Fire IV. I want to play great games, not technological showcases. Couldn't care less about which gen and how far into a console's cycle we are.
This. I just want to play good games, I wouldn't mind staying in the current gen for the next 30 years as long as good games kept being produced. Graphically, games like Death Stranding are already impressive enough for me.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not while I'm playing Death Stranding no, seems perfectly suitable for next-gen. And while graphics are important, nowadays I'm more interesting in innovation elsewhere. Outer Wilds seemed more ahead than a lot of big games this gen.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm looking forward to next gen but realistically I'm also in no rush for it, there's plenty of games I haven't played yet that I want to. If I was burnt out by the current gen stuff right now then I'd probably have to admit to being burnt out on gaming in general.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, just got into Pokémon, loving it, still playing The Outer Worlds loving that as well, trying to finish up Mario and Rabbids with the kids too enjoying it a lot. I have a PC too so I don't see how a new generation would do much for my excitement besides possibly not having to deal with 30fps again, if we're lucky.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, but it used to be as you neared the end of a console lifecycle, that's when you saw the best of the best, because developers knew the hardware inside and out. To a certain extent, that's still true, but it's not as distinct as before. I *am* excited to see the new consoles though. While I think Scarlett is going to be more iterative, I think the PS5 will be a more significant change, and I hope BC is a much bigger focus than it has been on PS4. But we'll see.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Not gaming but open world games for sure. Way too many this gen, so many didn't need to be either

Nov 8, 2017
I usually lose interest while waiting for a particular game. Not a whole gen. There's always stuff I want to play. If I'm bored, a more powerful solution isn't the answer.

Feb 8, 2018
I didn't purchase a current-gen console before late 2016 so no. I understand that the base consoles are showing their age now with some games, late 2021 for next gen would sill be ok for me.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
console gens really don't matter to me anymore since i don't really have solid blocks of time to put into games these days. That said phone/mobile games have come a long way and it's great to see new stuff come out that I can still slot in.

Xcloud and likely more instantaneous on overall will absolutely make it easier for me to pick up and play games next gen though -- it def makes playing on Switch feasible.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've gotten to a point now where I'm happy with the way games look and if the development community came out tomorrow and promised current AAA visuals at 4k/60 as next gen then I'd be perfectly happy staying with the Pro / X at 1440/1800/2160p at 30fps.

I feel like I can just enjoy games now without worrying about technical stuff.

In short next gen is all well and good but it's probably just going to be the same games we have now only prettier.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
The only games I am really invested in are TLOU 2 and cyberpunk 2077. The rewt like outer worlds and jedi fallen order I can wait for discounts and such, not in any hurry to play.

Will go all in on ps5 tho.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm tired of the visuals, performance issues, just the overall look and feel of the generation I guess.

This happens to me every Gen late in the cycle. I need like a refresh with new games, new potential, better visuals, options etc.

Anyone else?

i mean the last few games ive played are Death Stranding, Luigi's Mansion 3, Return of the Obra Dinn, and Outer Worlds. None of those have a similar look or feel and they all felt conceptually unique and refreshing (aside from outer worlds) compared to anything else in many years.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
These are all non-PC-exclusive console games released in the last two years that are truly spectacular & unique experiences. I have intentionally omitted anything that has you firing guns as the main character. I have also omitted anything that is a sequel ... unless it was a significant deviation (see God of War, Celeste). These are all games that I would suggest under those criteria and are all wildly different from one another. They also have a wide variety of beautiful styles and artwork. If this list below doesn't scratch your boredom of both gameplay and visual effects for the end of this console life, you might just need to take a several-week break from gaming altogether.

2018:
God of War
Dead Cells
Celeste
Iconoclasts
Owlboy
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Return of the Obra Dinn
Astro Bot: Rescue Mission
Divinity: Original Sin 2 (consoles)

2019:
Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order