• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Only if the english version is trash.

Devil Kings? Yuck

Sengoku Basara? 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, since people keep mentioning Final Fantasy, how about this little oddity.

I grew up with Final Fantasy III.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
Uh...but hasnt it always been called Revolutionary girl Utena? that's the first im actually hearing anyone use the utena japanese name..whereas Shakugan no Shana was just localized that way so it sounds weird hearing "Flame haired girl Shana"
I don't know if this has come up elsewhere, but Hiroshi Nagahama (animation director for Utena who went on to direct Mushishi and the upcoming Uzumaki adaptation) brought it up in a recent interview.

Anime News Network said:
Ikuhara would later tell Nagahama he had issues with how Utena's title was translated in English. "[Ikuhara] told me it's not about a girl who causes a revolution. She's not Joan of Arc," Nagahama said. "It's about a girl's revolution. All girls' revolutions. It's about a freeing of a set destiny and whatever that path is. If you look at the title in Japanese, it's not 'Kakumei Shojo,' it's 'Shojo Kakumei.' The translation should be Girls' Revolution Utena."

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's just a power move. People said they would keep using the Revolution name for the Wii as well.

It's like saying you knew somebody before they were famous.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Some japanese title is just more iconic.

Like Kara no Kyoukai, its rhyme much better than Garden of Sinners which not even literal translation.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Super Scion Sun Wukong vs Freezer is my favorite DBZ arc, and ain't nobody gonna tell me different.

Oct 27, 2017
Unless the Japanese name has fewer syllables, insisting on calling it by the Japanese name, when a localized alternative exists, just comes off as pretentious.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I don't know if this has come up elsewhere, but Hiroshi Nagahama (animation director for Utena who went on to direct Mushishi and the upcoming Uzumaki adaptation) brought it up in a recent interview.

that's weird though because in english it still means the same thing..revolutionary girl utena means that she is attempting a widespread revolution in individuals, it doesnt have to be relegated to just her.

Perhaps its just japanse not understanding the nuances of english

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The important thing is that, even knowing that it's not the official name anywhere, you still call it Mystic Gohan.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Its a case by case basis really on how literal or how good is the translation.

If boku no hero really means My Hero then saying My Hero would be prefer to be said, saying boku no just sound dumb. Or Ougon No Kaze really means Golden Wind then just say Golden Wind.

But in cases like Ruronin Kenshin is called Samurai X then that just dumb to call it Samurai X, just stick to ruronin kenshin. Or Pretty Cure was originally gonna be called Gangnam Girls but thankfully it was changed to Glitter Force which is somewhat acceptable.

Jojo no kimyou no boken really means Bizarre Adventure so just fucking say Jojo's bizzare Adventure.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't bother me as long as I know what the other person is talking about.
I usually just use whatever pops into my mind first or I just abbreviate it since my wife knows what I'm talking about.

"Wanna watch Hero?"
"You're god damn right I want to!"

The only exception might be "Kimetsu no Yaiba" because Demon Slayer is the most generic shit title ever and even if it's a direct translation (I don't even know) it doesn't bother me as much because I don't understand Japanese...

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
The only exception might be "Kimetsu no Yaiba" because Demon Slayer is the most generic shit title ever and even if it's a direct translation (I don't even know) it doesn't bother me as much because I don't understand Japanese...
A literal translation of Kimetsu no Yaiba would be something like "Blade of Demon Destruction"

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
"But shingeki no kyojin makes more sense!"
uoJ47uQ7.jpeg

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I use Shingeki no Kyokin over Attack on Titan, mainly because I read the manga the day the chapter comes out and it just feels like the actual title to me by now. Most people just say Shingeki for short I think. Plus it makes more sense as a title in the story, as anime viewers have recently discovered.

"But shingeki no kyojin makes more sense!"
lol BUT IT DOES. anyways I aint gonna use the US title just because some internet dudes get annoyed by the actual title!

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018

I say Demon Slayer since its shorter to say. I also find My Hero Academia too long and just refer to it as My Hero lol.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Its a case by case basis really on how literal or how good is the translation.

If boku no hero really means My Hero then saying My Hero would be prefer to be said, saying boku no just sound dumb. Or Ougon No Kaze really means Golden Wind then just say Golden Wind.

But in cases like Ruronin Kenshin is called Samurai X then that just dumb to call it Samurai X, just stick to ruronin kenshin. Or Pretty Cure was originally gonna be called Gangnam Girls but thankfully it was changed to Glitter Force which is somewhat acceptable.

Jojo no kimyou no boken really means Bizarre Adventure so just fucking say Jojo's bizzare Adventure.
Samurai X sounds so cool tho :(

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
I do find it amusing that you can find the same anime referred to as "Aka no Hana," "Les Fleurs Du Mal" or "Flowers of Evil" depending on whether people use the original Japanese title, the title of the French work that the original title is a Japanese translation of, or the English translation of either/both.

While we're in weeb pet peeves, I can't stand using Japanese names of characters when there's n agreed-upon English name. Looking at you, Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh fans.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
that's weird though because in english it still means the same thing..revolutionary girl utena means that she is attempting a widespread revolution in individuals, it doesnt have to be relegated to just her.

Perhaps its just japanse not understanding the nuances of english
He says, "She's not Joan of Arc," so I think the point is that Utena is not an individual attempting a revolution, at least initially. The English title gives you the idea that Utena is a revolutionary just by assuming the role of the prince at the start of the show. Ikuhara (through Nagahama) is saying instead that the story is really about the characters liberating themselves from the paradigms society created for them over the course of the entire show, Utena included.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Not sorry, I will continue calling Precure as Precure, instead of facepalming name Glitter Force that was given to its localization.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I like knowing both names and comparing. It's interesting and helps with my Japanese study.

I default to English when talking to English speakers though because that just makes the most sense.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't watch anime or read manga and I don't play games with different titles in different regions, but I use the original names for movies and TV shows. My reasoning being that translated titles are decided after the fact by a marketing department for that territory with no input from the filmmakers/creators. Maybe it's because I went to a high school that offered film classes, but my friends and I all used the original titles when discussing movies and TV shows.

Luckily, movie and TV show titles are increasingly being left in English in France, so this is becoming less of an issue.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Don't mind too much, unless the Japanese title is particularly lengthy / difficult to pronounce.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter to me. I use both depending on the situation.

Like let's take Yakuza for example. Ryu Ga Gotoku is absolutely fine to say, especially since the studio calls themselves the Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio and that's the game series they make. Yakuza is fine to say as well because that's what most westerners know it by.

The only time I think I would take offense to somebody using a certain name is if they were attempting to gatekeep or be elitist.

On the same end, I think it is just as elitist to judge what name people use in relation to a series. So what if a show has an English name. If somebody wants to say Boku no Hero Academia, let them? It doesn't hurt you.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
the worst is when people use katakana transliterations for japanese stuff with english names, like "ringu" etc.

no. the movie is called ring. don't say ringu unless you're going to follow through and talk about fainaru fantaji sebun too. (well, don't do that either)
THIS is what drives me nuts

Dec 1, 2017
Yeah I'm annoyed too because most of the time people who use the romanized Japanese anime titles:
  • speak no japanese
  • watch either HorribleSubs or streaming websites
  • sound really dumb
If you're gonna use the japanese you might as well write in 日本語 to talk about ジョジョの奇妙な冒険黄金の風

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
It deppends of the case, if I discovered the series before the localization I'll stick with the original.

Hell I'll still call the Zinogre from Monster Hunter Jinouga because I played a fan translation of Monster Hunter freedom 3.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People who say Zolo or Ruffy instead of Zoro and Luffy annoy me more than it should.

Only exception is that Zolo IS the translation for a particular language (forgot which one)

Ruffy is his official name in Germany though :)

Also people always just say Hero Academia
Also nobody calls it Food Wars (what a horrible title). It really depends on the title imo

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
This happens once in a while when discussing Phoenix Wright. Someone will inevitably pop in and talk about how much they love Gyakuten Saiban and that they adored the character progression of *insert Japanese character name here*, leaving everyone else in the thread lost and confused.

I agree with the OP, btw. I'm a Japanese learner myself and still find myself really annoyed anytime someone casually drops a Japanese word into a sentence when there are more natural and perfectly usable English words for what they're trying to say. Stick to the language you're speaking, please.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
This bother me a lot more than it should when it comes to DragonBall, where people say "SSJ3" instead of "SS3" or "Kuririn" instead of "Krillin".

Like, I get that Super aired in Japan way earlier than it did in the West, but that feels to me like it ignores the entire localization effort of the previous series.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Depends on the title for me, and of course how I encountered it.
My favourite manga of all time, "Shin Angyo Onshi", luckily kept its name in German, because the English name "Blade of the Phantom Master" is hot garbage.
BLADE OF THE PHANTOM MASTER. It's not even a translation, it's an entirely new title.
And there is no phantom master, and the main character doesn't use a blade? Dumbest crap.

it's Shingeki No Kyojin to me dammit
This, but unironically, because that's how I encountered the series, feels weird to use "Attack on Titan", which I only learned about months after getting into it.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. Why does this even matter when people call things what they actually are. Get the fuck over it.