• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Ever since I was young I was able to "hear" when a TV is on as soon I walk into a room. And this is despite nothing being displayed on the TV but a pitch black screen, no static or audio on. I've told my family about this but none of them ever seem to know what I'm talking about so I'm guessing this isn't a universal thing. Anyone else notice this?

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but only with CRTs.

It'll go away when you get older and lose the ability to hear those higher frequencies.

OP
OP
CharlesAznable
Oct 25, 2017

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Oh yeah. But as mentioned above, it's usually only CRTs and older LEDs/ plasma

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I remember in high school telling one of my friends they left the TV on with a black screen and they freaked out like I was messing with him, or it was some kind of superpower. He literally made me leave the room, come back and "guess" whether it was on or off. Kept trying to explain to him that a lot of people can hear the high pitched frequency sound.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I used to be able to. I cannot any more. I don't know if it's due to a change in technology, me getting older, or both.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this was always a thing with CRTs. Any of the newer televisions, you'll only be able to hear if a capacitor or something is about to go.

Deraldin

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I used to be able to hear the old CRT from halfway across the house and I can hear our plasma TV from the next room over.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When my CRT is displaying 240p or 480i I can hear it. But when the same CRT is displaying 480p or up, it's dead silent.

What you guys were hearing was the 480i whine.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
All CRTs, yes (15kHz). And most things with a PSU if I'm close enough.

People used to think I was crazy. Probably why I picked up guitar lol

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Yes, but it's less and less a thing. I attribute it to the new hardware in modern TVs, but it could also just be the fact that I'm getting older and my hearing's going.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
CRTs were real easy to hear. Any of the current ones, sometimes I have this feeling something is on but I don't hear it exactly. But I also have to have everything silent and that doesn't happen.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, with CRTs as a kid. Since my family couldn't hear it, I didn't realize it was something I was hearing as much as just "sensing" the electric buzz of the TV.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've had slight hearing loss, so I can't hear stuff as well as I used to, but most electronics I can hear running. This includes CRTs and PSUs I can no longer hear LCDs tho. My sensitivity levels are extremely heightened still due to being autistic and having hypersensitivity.

Right now I'm hearing a slight buzzing sound coming from something in my apartment. It's the sound of slight electronics running. But I dunno where it's coming from.

EDIT: Just checked. I can still hear LCDs with my left ear, but not with my right, and I have to be close-ish.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
The thread in which a bunch of people will learn they're too old to hear some high-pitched noises anymore

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not lately, but certain lightbulbs are noisy, flickery, or both, even when new.

Chronus

Nov 2, 2017
Holy shit. Growing up, I thought this was my super power. Nobody else seemed to be able to do it.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
CRTs easily. LCDs also, occasionally, but it is harder to hear and depends on the model. I think it's more hearing the faint cool whine if the power supply in the LCD rather than whatever it was I'd hear in CRTs. I too experienced older folks and even my friends that are my age being unable to hear this, even as a teen.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The thread in which a bunch of people will learn they're too old to hear some high-pitched noises anymore

I could hear that mosquito noise normally until I was 41. Now I have to put my ear next to the speaker to hear anything. I'm way overdue for flushing my ears, though, if that matters.
When I had a hearing exam for a job at 32, the person giving the exam said I was the only person they'd ever tested who had identical hearing in both ears.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yes, and my wife doesn't believe me but I can hear bats when they're flying around overhead, I can hear their little clicks. Also dog whistles, but I can feel the sound more than I can hear it. My ears must be sensitive to high-pitched sounds which is crazy as I'm nearly 40 and have listened to a lot of loud music over the years.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Think I hear my LCD right now too.

Edit: mostly right ear only

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Yep. I can also "hear" when someone has entered a room or say a large area like my hotel lobby even if their footsteps are silent. Something about the change in the air.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
CRTs, many plasmas, and some LCDs sure. I've also had this with a lot of light bulbs.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely used to be able to do that, I'm not sure if I've lost the ability as I've got older or just tuned it out.

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, but for newer TVs the room needs to be pretty silent for me to pick it up.

Congrats OP, you have great hearing