• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Do you have to take all kinds of vitamin and fiber supplements while eating like this to keep everything functioning well? It feels misguided, to say the least.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
I've been on keto for ~2 years with bits of on and off and last month did the "potato" cleanse that got Kevin Smith (and Penn Jillette, who kinda started it) down ~100-150 lbs rapidly. The problem with any sort of low carb diet is that its fine for 1-3 months but after that you really start missing pastas, pizzas, etc and you can easily go into a spiral of "1 cheat day turns into 1 week turns into 1 month" and you regain all the weight you lost since about 50% of it is just simply water weight from your body retaining a lot less water, especially as a guy.
i think a lot of that has to do with how people view cheat meals. A cheat meal for me is having some rice instead of all vegetables with my teriyaki chicken. And cheat days/weeks/months? A cheat day is pushing it, a cheat week is you are falling into old eating habits. And personally i stop missing pastas/pizzas/etc because every time i have it i instantly regret it. If it were just resetting the clock on losing weight it would be bad enough but even while maintaining a healthy weight you have to deal with a day or two of less energy, shitty mood, maybe headaches etc.

Essentially all the "fad" diets are retraining yourself to be a better calorie counter because no one can eat vast amounts of red meat, chicken, pork, potatoes, rice & beans, etc like they can junk food. Scientific studies generally show a more meat-based diet tends to lower your overall life expectancy but if you are 100+ lbs overweight it doesn't really matter much, does it, that extra weight is gonna kill you 40+ years sooner anyways.
True its hard to gorge yourself on low carb items full of fiber and fat because you get sated very quickly. Also im not sure what kind of keto diet you were on where potatoes, rice, and beans are on the menu.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like some fucking stupid reaction to plant based diets. I'm sure it's 98% men trying to prove their manliness to themselves.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
True its hard to gorge yourself on low carb items full of fiber and fat because you get sated very quickly. Also im not sure what kind of keto diet you were on where potatoes, rice, and beans are on the menu.

Sorry I was on keto (reddit's /r/keto and /r/ketorecipes are fantastic resources) for a full year, got to the weight I wanted and then slowly transitioned off it while still eating healthy (no sugars, no processed foods) but lots of plant-based food like beans, rice, potatoes, veggies, fruits. Nowadays I tend to eat only 1 meal a day with no snacking but I still stick to the no fast food, high sugar, etc. I'm at my ideal weight so losing weight isn't really a goal anymore, just keeping a check on my blood pressure, insulin levels, etc.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao what is this,
It's literally eating like a slob and they are calling a diet?

konka

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people overthink eating. Just eat a balanced diet with reasonable portions.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
If anyone needs an extra reason not to do this. Everyone's favorite lobster daddy pulpit huckster pitched this bullshit on Joe Rogan's podcast a few months ago.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
That's called heart attack diet, unless it's lean & not red meat.

I've done it for easy keto before fasting a few times. By the end of day 2 I thought I was at risk of dying (probably not).

MoonScented

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sure, go ahead. Enjoy your diverticulitis from chronic constipation, liver issues, brain fog from lack of carbohydrates, lack of nutrients, and atherosclerosis

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That honestly sounds disgusting. A barbecue pig-out every once in awhile is nice, but no veggies, fruits, or grains? Fuck that. You serve me a piece of meat with an egg and no real sides and I'm gonna look at you like "What you want me to do with this?"

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Awful lot of people dismissing this without actually citing any science behind their reasoning.

Personally, OP, I don't like the idea of only eating meat. Not just because it could get boring very quickly but because meat doesn't contain all the vitamins and minerals that while aren't a priority but are very beneficial that you will find in vegetables, particularly the fats found in an Avocado or the vitamins K and C and antioxidants in Broccoli.

If anyone needs an extra reason not to do this. Everyone's favorite lobster daddy pulpit huckster pitched this bullshit on Joe Rogan's podcast a few months ago.
This is a weird reason not to do something. I assume Jordan Peterson also uses toothpaste as well, I guess we should stop doing that.

Malovis

Oct 27, 2017
Could work for some select few but probably not a good idea. You can just supplement fiber but i would be mainly concerned about the salt and cholesterol. Those two are at the forefront of heart disease for many people, aside from a more general metabolic disorder that obesity causes.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
That's called heart attack diet, unless it's lean & not red meat.

I've done it for easy keto before fasting a few times. By the end of day 2 I thought I was at risk of dying (probably not).
Any studies you can cite? I thought animal fat causing heart disease was disproven?

Seems gastrointestinal health is biggest issue long term here.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I wonder how many people are pulled to these fad diets mainly by the promise of slower aging. It will take a lot of years to realize they have the opposite effect.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This diet would kill me, I need to eat tons of fibre and veggies just to stay regular. I don't see how all of the cholesterol can be good in the long run.

David Addison

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/sep/10/my-carnivore-diet-jordan-peterson-beef
I phone a nutritionist. Lisa Sasson, a clinical professor in nutrition at New York University, had read about the diet already, and before I can ask her if it's a good idea, she launches into a scathing review.

"It's ridiculous. It's absolutely ridiculous," Sasson says. "The claims that are made are preposterous. Atkins was bad – this is 50 times worse. This is probably the worst diet I've ever heard and I've heard such bad ones."

Sasson continues: "To me, it's amazing anyone would think there's any merit to something like this. We all know that fruits and vegetables are important. That's where you get so many of your nutrients: plant-based foods. There's absolutely nothing here."

Sasson says the claims from people who say it has stopped pain or eased anxiety are because of the placebo effect.

"You could go on this diet and think, oh, that lump I had does seem smaller. The placebo is very powerful," Sasson says.

I ask about the amazing claims of weight loss.

"Anyone would lose weight. You lose weight on chemotherapy. Weight loss shouldn't be a criterion."

After such a strong rebuke I feel embarrassed to tell Sasson that I've been on this diet. I tell her anyway.

"It's truly lacking critical nutrients, which could have devastating effects," Sasson says.

"You should know, you sound like you're English. Look at scurvy. How was scurvy discovered? When people went on those ships and they didn't have fresh fruits and vegetables, that's when we knew it was related to vitamin C, which you're not getting in that diet."

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Awful lot of people dismissing this without actually citing any science behind their reasoning.

There are not studies because it's common sense. This is basic science, not something that requires research.

- You need plant based Vitamin C
- You need plant based folic acid because you're likely not eating organs
- Fiber makes healthy stool
- This is more keto than keto and will make you feel horrible

Do people need to post long explanations about why you need Vitamin C? Google it. It helps you make collagen, the stuff that keeps your body glued together and your skin stuck on your body.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Any studies you can cite? I thought animal fat causing heart disease was disproven?

Seems gastrointestinal health is biggest issue long term here.

Someone linked one already, but a simple search for mortality rates with low carb diet has several well formed studies showing clearly that red meats decrease longevity even over just eating a regular carb filled diet, whereas healthy fats are probably the best diet of all for longevity.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Old timey diseases like scurvy are so trendy right now.

Doesn't seem like anyone actually gets scurvy on the thing. Shawn Baker is the primary proponent of the diet and he has been on it for like 2 years or so.

I mostly just eat meat, eggs, and fish myself, but I see no good reason to avoid leafy greens and stuff like broccoli, for example.

I first read about the idea when there was an article floating around that featured a family, the Andersons, that basically only ate ribeye steak. I think this is it:

https://gistonice.wordpress.com/201...ily-lives-on-only-meat-for-the-past-17-years/

The kids have been on it just about all of their lives according to the story, with the parents having been on it for going on 20 years now.

Last edited:

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem like anyone actually gets scurvy on the thing. Shawn Baker is the primary proponent of the diet and he has been on it for like 2 years or so.

I mostly just eat meat, eggs, and fish myself, but I see no good reason to avoid leafy greens and stuff like broccoli, for example.

I first read about the idea when there was an article floating around that featured a family, the Andersons, that basically only ate ribeye steak. I think this is it:

https://gistonice.wordpress.com/201...ily-lives-on-only-meat-for-the-past-17-years/

The kids have been on it just about all of their lives according to the story, with the parents having been on it for going on 20 years now.
Well, yeah. If you eat meat, eggs, fish, and vegetables that's a different story from a carnivore diet.

I wonder what those kids eat at school or at friend's houses. I imagine your gut would go crazy at the slightest bit of difference if you've only eaten steak your entire life.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, yeah. If you eat meat, eggs, fish, and vegetables that's a different story from a carnivore diet.

I wonder what those kids eat at school or at friend's houses. I imagine your gut would go crazy at the slightest bit of difference if you've only eaten steak your entire life.

I can't find the original article that I saw quite a few years ago, but in it, I believe they said that they basically let their kids choose what they want to eat whatever they want and most of the time they just ate steak alongside their parents. I'm sure they ate other stuff while with friends, though.

Anyway, a lot of the time, for me, it is just meat. I'll sometimes go a week or so just eating steak or chicken, eggs, and steak. I do take a multivitamin and a fish oil pill daily, but I'm honestly not sure how effective those are.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Questionable health benefits aside, why would anyone want to even indulge in this and forsake all the beautiful tastes in the world ? Imagine never having pizza or strawberry milshake. Why even stay alive at that point ? I would much sooner be vegeterian.

Oct 25, 2017
I've always wondered what the gender breakdown was for these meat intensive diets (I'm making the assumption that they skew heavily male, and that it's more societal than health caused).

Oct 25, 2017
Humans didn't evolve on a meat heavy diet because catching animals was not trivial for our prehistoric ancestors, so our bodies are not built to process meat as efficiently as fruits, vegetables, and grains. This seems like a bad idea.

Deleted member 15948

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like you'd have to start eating a lot of organ meats and other "miscellaneous" parts for various extra nutritional benefits. Which I enjoy but I think a lot of other people in general don't. Probably still a way to an early grave even at that.

Also have you seen real carnivore poop? Tons of fur, ground bone, sometimes animal claws... we're not equipped for that kind of hardcore lifestyle.