• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't done it in years but when I did it was nice. I don't know that I'd go abroad mid-pandemic but pretending for a bit that wasn't a thing...
The best part is you don't need an itinerary. I would plan on where I'm going and what I want to see then just roam. For example, if I was going to Paris and wanted to see the Louvre, Sacré Coeur, and the Catacombs I'd just pick one and go. If the wait to get in is a pain in the ass I'd go do something else. Roam a district, look for any interesting hole-in-the-wall restaurants or shops and just take in the new setting.

I'd do the same in New York, Portland, DC, or where ever.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Living in Turkey, we have a bunch of ancient cities and ruins. It's liberating and absolutely amazing to crash in a roadside motel for a couple of days while visiting some ancient city / small village.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
That interesting.

I would have assumed a theme park would not be as much fun by yourself but then again I never tried it either.

I have been married a long time and was with my wife for awhile before that but I did take two solo trips. One involved a lot of driving and I have to say that was not great going solo (at least for me). Otherwise it was a lot of fun being by yourself if you are in the right mindset. I enjoyed just walking around and seeing things. When I was younger the only awkward part was eating by myself but its not that hard to get over it either.

Theme parks are FANTASTIC solo. You can basically do whatever you want whenever you want to. Eat at weird times, stay out late, do the same ride over and over, use single rider, shop til you drop, Especially at busy places like Disney it basically frees you up entirely to do as you please all day.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
I spent a month alone in Lisbon and it was the best time of my life honestly, when I wanted to be social there was groups in couchsurfing that I could meet up with and do random stuff so do it go travel and have a blast!

Akalance

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
I want to travel to Zion National Park in Utah, and it will most likely be solo. I wanted to do it before the year got away, but I got an offer to visit a friend in North Carolina and we've been trying to plan that for years.

But yeah, the idea of traveling alone doesn't bother me. I learned a few years ago that I can't limit the things I want to do to what others want to do with me. It started with small things like movies and running, and now I want to do bigger things like travel.

Nov 23, 2017
That interesting.

I would have assumed a theme park would not be as much fun by yourself but then again I never tried it either.

I used to live in Orlando, solo day trips to the theme parks were regular outings. Solo riders usually have separate queue for faster loading on rollercoasters and such.
My first time down to LA, I went down for work. The guy that came with me wasn't going to hang out with me nor would I want to. The first night we were near Universal, so I had dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe and did some shopping. Next day we moved hotels a bit further south, and I spent the afternoon at Downtown Disney. I had dinner at the Storybook Cafe at the hotel. Second trip down for work happened to be Valentine's Day week, so I had a solo dinner at Le Briea's. OMG, best dinner ever. And I didn't have my bf nagging me on the cost or the 3 course meal with a drink I ordered.

There are people I enjoy doing certain things with but half a trip would be great with them and the other half not so great. There's not really a single person that I love traveling with the whole way through. My aunt is a pretty good companion, but she costs me way too much money on trips.

Oct 27, 2017
I've flown on airplanes and been through airports by myself, that's the extent of my solo travel. I usually go with family or meet family/friends in a different city/state. Beaches, mountains, theme parks, etc it's usually with family. I haven't been out of the country in years, last place was Canada in 2017. I'd probably enjoy traveling alone to a place like Netherlands, Norway, or Switzerland. I'd take the public transport and trains all over for a few weeks, travel between France, Italy, Germany.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
I would only do it for things like going to art museums where I can take my time and appreciate it without having to worry about the other person getting bored at staring old pictures for several hours

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I started soloing from Barcelona. I did some research, planned on what I wanted to see and things I wanted to do and just went. Then I did Amsterdam, Copenhagen, London (linked up with a buddy there), Lisbon, Porto, Bangkok, Southern Thailand, Buenos Aires, British Virgin Islands, Antigua, Munich, Berlin, Costa Rica, Colombia etc.
I travel a lot but mostly solo. I plan out a few things I wanna see snd do, and restaurants I wanna eat at, reserve museum passes, reserve restaurants, football games and just go. I have had fantastic times, passionate debate with Danes about politics, clubbing at Lisbon snd Berlin till the sun is out, sex, drugs, amazing food and drinks. Architecture and museums. Hiking in rain forests, swimming around waterfalls and pristine beaches.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I booked my first solo trip to NYC for later this year.
My gf has too much anxiety to fly so thats why I'll be going alone.
I'm excited, I already have a list of places to check out and spend the day how I'd like at my own pace.

I've been watching solo travel vloggers since last year so I still have more places I plan to visit alone including Japan.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I booked my first solo trip to NYC for later this year.
My gf has too much anxiety to fly so thats why I'll be going alone.
I'm excited, I already have a list of places to check out and spend the day how I'd like at my own pace.

I've been watching solo travel vloggers since last year so I still have more places I plan to visit alone including Japan.
Day trip to Storm King thank me later: