• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching some game play of SkellBoy on Switch, and I'm gonna buy it, but really wish I could play it on the big screen. It looks gorgeous.

Do any of you have Switch Lite remorse?

Verder

Oct 28, 2017
Low key yes but also no because I play handheld mostly . I also have a gut feeling of a switch pro coming eventually

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Is why my partner and I decided to have them both. XD

Lite for portable/play anywhere, original to stay at home.

Thanks for bringing Skellboy to my attention. :p

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have an OG and kinda wish I had the Lite. If anything the higher pixel density makes things crisper on the Lite.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have an OG. The Switch Lite would be a blessing during my commute. I'd actually be able to play resource-intensive games like Dragon Quest or Divinity 2 without worrying my battery halfway thru. Or maybe my launch model's battery has just lost a good deal of capacity..

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
It's so tiny and cramped.
Bought two for my daughters aged 9 and 7 and they love it, I tried it out once and I can't imagine how adults with big paws cope with it. Plus, it's less immersive than big screen gaming.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I would have upgraded if the Lite played on the screen as well.

No reason to own it personally as I basically only play it on my TV.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
My friend's Lite recently started to have drifting. He wouldn't stop bragging before then lol.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I have an OG. The Switch Lite would be a blessing during my commute. I'd actually be able to play resource-intensive games like Dragon Quest or Divinity 2 without worrying my battery halfway thru. Or maybe my launch model's battery has just lost a good deal of capacity..
The Lite's battery actually isn't any significantly better than the original model, you'd have to get the new red-box Switch for that.

To answer the question, I have both but I haven't used the Lite much due to it messing up the time played tracking (I'm a data nut) and the fact that the games I play the most don't support cloud saves so I need to manually send the file back and forth. I plan on playing Ori exclusively handheld though so I will probably play that on there

ghoulie

Oct 28, 2017
I had an OG switch and traded it for a lite. Ended up missing the dock more than I thought, plus my hands would cramp up while playing it. I got a switch v2 a few days later.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Damn, im one of these guys who appreciate small screens. I game on screens that are under 30 in. the largest i can go is 43 in. playing on small screens at times feel like im looking at a semi big screen. I never feel like my view is restricted because of the screen is small. 55 in tvs and above are view restricting but thats my opinion. What im saying is playing on the lite wont be regretful only if you've gamed on a portable all your life, such as i.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
The Lite's battery actually isn't any significantly better than the original model, you'd have to get the new red-box Switch for that.

To answer the question, I have both but I haven't used the Lite much due to it messing up the time played tracking (I'm a data nut) and the fact that the games I play the most don't support cloud saves so I need to manually send the file back and forth. I plan on playing Ori exclusively handheld though so I will probably play that on there

What? Nah, there's actually an appreciable gap between the OG (not the 2019 revision) and the Lite, battery wise.
Source:
Myself

I own both, I get close to double the playtime on the Lite on most resource intensive games, a bit more than a couple hours on my launch model and almost 4 on my Lite.
But yeah, the 2019 revision is significantly better on that front...

Tom's hardware and others did a 3-way test using 8 players Smash Ultimate and published these results:

(2017 vs LITE vs 2019)

2:45 / 3:50 / 4:45

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
What? Nah, there's actually an appreciable gap between the OG (not the 2019 revision) and the Lite, battery wise.
Source:
Myself and... Nintendo's official data.

I own both, I get roughly double the playtime on the Lite on resource intensive games, a couple hours on my launch model and almost 4 on my Lite.
But yeah, the 2019 revision is significantly better.
That's likely more due to battery depreciation on your OG model. The battery on the Lite and OG is super similar

Oct 30, 2017
Source:
Myself and... Nintendo's official data.

I own both, I get roughly double the playtime on the Lite on resource intensive games, a couple hours on my launch model and almost 4 on my Lite.
But yeah, the 2019 revision is significantly better.

i get about that on my lite vs my launch model too, but that's largely because we're comparing the lite to a two-and-a-half-year-old battery that's shot to hell. nintendo only claims an extra 30 mins (3-7 hrs vs 2.5-6.5)

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
It's my 3DS successor. I'm in love, feels like a love letter written just for me.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Understandable. A Switch that can actually Switch is best Switch.
About to play a title that'd need a big screen to fully enjoy it like Astral Chain? You're good.
Wanna chill and play a title that wouldn't really benefit from being played on a TV like PokƩmon? You're good.

Lunchbox

ʃuoɹŹ Ź‡į“‰ ʃuį“‰op ĒÉ¹,noŹŽ 'Ź‡É„ʃį“‰É¹ sį“‰É„Ź‡ pɐĒÉ¹ noŹŽ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Understandable. A Switch that can actually Switch is best Switch.
About to play a title that'd need a big screen to fully enjoy it like Astral Chain? You're good.
Wanna chill and play a title that wouldn't really benefit from being played on a TV like PokƩmon? You're good.
This & I never felt like the OG was too big to carry around plus V2 just has better battery life.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I have them both, I take the lite with me when I'm travelling etc and want something a bit more durable and don't care too much if it gets damaged.

I wish Nintendo would give us an option to automatically download the newest cloud saves on the server instead of having to do it manually.

For portable play I still prefer the OG over the lite simply for the bigger screen, but I wish there was an OG size/features unit with the form factor of the lite because I much prefer that, I never take my joycons off the OG.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a Lite and I kinda wish it had the bigger screen and joycons but it's still a good deal and a direct enough successor to the Vita that I don't really mind

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019

Aren't both red box and Lite using Mariko? So that both have slightly longer battery life compared to the original. Or Lite been smaller affects it?

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
The OG model was too big/heavy for my hands, whereas the Lite is perfect. I always played undocked, also.

Only downside is for games like Smash that I use external controllers, the slightly smaller screen is a slight downside. But not enough to warrant the larger model.

(I was also someone who preferred the non-XL N3DS.)

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I love my Lite. I've got zero interest in playing Switch games on the big screen. The Switch games I play look great on the small Lite screen.

Games like Witcher 3 still look great on small screen and if I wanted to play that on the big screen, Switch is probably the worst way to do it.

I like it as a pure handheld device.

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't both red box and Lite using Mariko? So that both have slightly longer battery life compared to the original. Or Lite been smaller affects it?
The lite does use mariko but the the battery is rated at 3570 vs 4310 mah of the regular switch. It makes it comparable to logan-based Switches from what I can tell though. Obvious not as good mariko+4310mah Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
I have 2 "normal" Switch (one is the newer model) and the Switch Lite. Best of both worlds ;)
The sharp screen on the Lite is gorgeous.

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017
After using a lite for a while I hate the buttons on the big model. So loud and clicky. Love the big screen, hate the buttons.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
No I bought a OG switch at launch and from day 1 wanted a switch lite, I never used it once connected to the tv. Switch Lite is what it should've been all along. I wish the lite was dockable for those who use that so the OG switch can go away.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
You can also hold the OG Switch like 4" further away from your face and get the same pixel density. Just saying.

You can also tape your Switch Lite a few centimeters from your face to make it look like it's on a big theater size screen.

Eyes. How do they work anyway?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I have an OG and wish I gotten a lite though I mostly use it for ringfit and taiko so may not be a good idea.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The lite not having a kickstand kills all the mood for me so mostly play the switch with a pro controller

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I wanted the lite at first because as a OG owner, I NEVER play my switch docked.

But then I remembered joycon drift is a thing

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
DF found that the Lite usually gets 30 minutes to an hour extra battery time vs the OG Switch.
Not insignificant for a portable.
Well the dude I was replying to was saying he's getting double, so I was more replying to that lol. If your lite is getting double your launch switch, it's because of battery degradation

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would feel pretty down if i had bought the Lite version and couldn't played Ring Fit Adventure, this game is a GEMS!

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
There's a reason I didn't buy the Lite, and it does sound like the screen is better and it's comfier to play but... The reason to have a Switch to me is more about the ability to play in any form you want. Too many games look bad in Handheld mode to justify the Lite not boosting that performance in any way.

I'll totally get a next-gen Switch Lite if it's really "lite" but somehow can still also dock and feel good to play in the hand.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Not me. Love my yellow baby.

(but gave my old one to nephew and so far no regrets... maybe for smash lol)

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can share the feel (tho I have a OG Switch) I'm sure I play about 70% of my time in handheld mode, but even if it was a minuscule percentage of TV gaming I would feel very bad not able to have do it. My 3DS was my main console from 2013-2019 and I always wanted a hybrid like the Switch.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
wish I had a lite honestly

but i'm not spitting against the ability to play on the tv from time to time

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
BoTW on the big screen with the Pro Controller is a dream hehe, but the lite is very charmful.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Moved on from the OG to the Lite and now I've played more Switch games since then from launch until the change.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I sold my OG Switch and got a Turquoise Lite back in September.

I'm regretting it 100%. I play 200% less on handheld mode, I miss the improved visuals and comfort of docked mode, etc.

I am thinking of just getting the OG back (the one with improved battery)