• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I keep my N3DS XL on its charging cradle when not in use (which has been months). I don't think it's swollen in any way.

Now you're making me want to remove the batteries from my PSP and Vita which I haven't touched in ages.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Had this happen to my New 3DS, ordered a replacement battery directly from Nintendo of America a year ago. Good thing I did then, they don't sell it anymore. (3DS/2DS and 3DS XL/New 3DS XL batteries are still available, though.)

I didn't know this was a thing..... does this happen to the Vita too? How do you even change the Vitas battery? ;__;
It can happen with basically any battery. Swapping the Vita's battery requires partial disassembly of the system.

Vita 1xxx Guide
Vita 2xxx Guide

Heads up though: apparently 3rd party Vita 1000 batteries are all old stock of the official batteries with a sticker covering it.

hipsterbodega

Oct 30, 2017
I just had to replace my N3DSXL battery. Thankfully it's cheap to do, even OEM. My old battery would not hold a charge but it wasn't swollen.

I keep my DS, 3DS, PSP and Vita on chargers. They sometimes sit there for a month before they're touched, but I do it because there's nothing worse than getting the hankering to play on one of these machines and it's dead.

This has never been a problem until now. Ironically, my N3DSXL is the youngest of all these systems too. So I've taken them all off the chargers and just periodically check their levels and let them just cycle through their charges now.

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
For older systems that you don't plan on touching, I am assuming taking the battery out is the best thing, but will they eventually swell disconnected?

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
I've never actually checked any of my years-old devices, but if need be, are PSP, Vita and 3DS XL batteries easily swappable?

Can folks recommend good third party brands, or is it wise to always go official?
Most PSP models and the 3DS XL are designed for batteries to be user-swappable. Just unscrew/slide off the battery cover and swap. The Vita will require partial disassembly, but its not an insurmountable task.

Official batteries are preferable, but in the case of the PSP and the Vita 1000, official batteries are all going to be at least six years old, which isn't ideal, either. Third party PSP batteries often have false advertised capacities and inaccurate hardware for tracking remaining battery life, so some people have taken to jury-rigging their own PSP batteries by opening an official one and swapping out just the cell.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Bless this thread!
Just checked mine out and yep, standard New 3DS has a swollen battery.

Took a look through the collection and everything else is fine, even going back to the GBA SP's so that's a relief.

How often should you charge them? I last did over a year ago (maybe two) and all are currently holding a charge...

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
This freaks me out. My 3/2DS batteries are fine, but I had to get rid of my DSI battery and that sucks when it's so hard to find replacement OEM batteries anymore.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Oh shit..I have the Majora's mask new 3ds XL. Gonna take out the battery soon then

Edit: do all 3ds's use the same batteries as the switch pro controller?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I need to check on this lol.

While I'm at it, I guess I should probably cop some extra batteries if the nintendo online store still has any while I still can.

Apr 19, 2018
Most PSP models and the 3DS XL are designed for batteries to be user-swappable. Just unscrew/slide off the battery cover and swap. The Vita will require partial disassembly, but its not an insurmountable task.

Official batteries are preferable, but in the case of the PSP and the Vita 1000, official batteries are all going to be at least six years old, which isn't ideal, either. Third party PSP batteries often have false advertised capacities and inaccurate hardware for tracking remaining battery life, so some people have taken to jury-rigging their own PSP batteries by opening an official one and swapping out just the cell.

Thanks for the info! Very useful to know.

I took a quick looksie my PSP and 3DS XL, and no swollen batteries here. I'm still working up the courage to disassemble my Vita, and convincing myself that I somehow won't fuck it up. =/

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Can't seem to remember where I put my OG 3DS, so can't check that now. New one is still fine. Same with Vita. What is amazing is I found my DSi I haven't used for 8 or so years and the battery is still fully charged. That seems insane.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
All of my rechargable portable batteries, including my GBAs, are fine, but I will say I annually recharge everything to prevent that kind of damage as best I can.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't checked yet but I definitely had the issue with the PSP. I even had bought a new PSP (for dust under the screen reasons) and THAT PSP showed up with a swollen battery in the box not even installed yet. Had to buy a third party battery from Amazon (which worked great btw).

nded

Nov 14, 2017
That thing's probably in the attic, battery all swollen and busting at the seams.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
I had two PSP batteries that had swollen up over the years. What is the best method of preventing the batteries from doing so? Charging them every few months, let them run out of juice, then charge 'em again?

This is going to be especially bad with the Switch.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
I worry about the Switch for this very reason. I dread the day when it doesn't even work as a home console because the battery is bloated or busted...

Does anyone know if a Switch could still work in the dock without a battery?

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I worry about the Switch for this very reason. I dread the day when it doesn't even work as a home console because the battery is bloated or busted...

Does anyone know if a Switch could still work in the dock without a battery?
most likely not as you cannot turn the switch on if the battery is dead even if plugged in.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I hate that nearly every device uses a proprietary lithium battery these days.
Even if the device is not being used, you have to manage the battery (at least one full power cycle per month) to try and prevent this, or having it simply lose all useful capacity.
It's going to be more and more difficult to replace as time goes on. I'm more concerned about my DSi XL than 3DS for now though.
AA Eneloop batteries stay winning for my GBC and GBA, but I'm worried about the long term for everything DS and beyond.

Heri

Oct 28, 2017
The battery of my OG3DS still looks and works well.

I also took the opportunity to test the batteries on my GBA SP and my DS Lite and they still look and work well. I guess I'm lucky because I've never had a problem with any of the batteries of my portable consoles.

Now my phones on the other hand ...

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
This is why I now charge them all twice a year at least and remove/store them separately where possible.

Last edited:

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
My GBA micro battery is messy. The buttons are lighting up on my unit for no reason. Sometimes it would shut down too at full charge. Seems fine now after a few charges, blinking can still occur though.

all 3 PSP batteries are fine on mine but it took good care of them. DS and 3DS units seem well too.

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
Just checked my New 3DS and since the last time this topic cropped up it's swollen, it's been sitting in a cradle but it looks like it got unplugged at some point. Time to call Nintendo for a replacement.

The bigger question though - I'm in the UK, where the hell can I get rid of this one? It doesn't look like we have any recycling centres in the UK at all, and obviously don't want to chuck it in the normal rubbish as it's a fire hazard.

Edit: looking into it, can it be checked in those battery recycling boxes in supermarkets and the like? Not keen on starting a fire at the local Tesco, but can't find anything on disposing of damaged batteries specifically.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Play my 3DS pretty regularly and keep it on its charger whenever not playing it, but I probably better check my PSP here, as it's been sitting in my drawer for months now.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
This happened with my PSP battery

I've been meaning to get a new one but never got around to it

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I play my New 3DS XL at least once a week, so the battery's alright.

The X button sometimes doubles inputs, and sometimes misses the inputs completely... :/

I might need to get a New 2DS or something just to futureproof my favorite library of games.