• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Looking to buy a Vizio P85QX-H1 which is on sale at Costco right now. My old Vizio died so I picked up a TCL 75R635 at Best Buy but it has too many issues (like it won't work with my 2080Ti for some reason) and I want to go 85" anyways. It will be quite an investment for me, so I'd like to hear about some other people's experiences buying a big screen TV from them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CORQRX0

My main issue is that the TV is huge and doesn't fit on my current TV furniture so I had to buy one of these VESA stands. I am hoping I can get the Costco guys to connect the stand to the TV for me, because I am disabled and have no way to do this. The TV is too big to have sitting in my house waiting for someone from Geek Squad to come and do it for me- I have nowhere to put it.

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe check with costco before they deliver to see if that's a service they provide. Damn OP, if I lived anywhere near you (not likely) I'd be more than happy to help out.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Costco has the best return policy, but as far as installation goes you usually have to pay a separate fee for that. The delivery guys aren't going to do it by default.

Here's something I found (not sure if it's available everywhere) for a tv mounting service through costco, but it's a general service (you don't even have to buy the tv through Costco) so it's not like you have to go with them:

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I believe through Costco online, you can choose white glove delivery during checkout so they'll bring it up to your room of choice, unpack and set it up for you but I don't believe it covers 3rd party stands. I would call Costco to verify or maybe use Amazon as they'll help with TV mounting as well (it's a service you pay for but they'll install almost any TV to a mount).

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I think it's $100 extra bucks to get someone to install it for you. Wall mounts, soundbars, cable connections and that sort of thing. Make sure to tell them you're physically disabled and might not be able to assist.

Edit: See if your Costco offers this service.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Standard Costco delivery will only open the box to make sure it's not damaged. They will not help you attach the stand or set it up on your entertainment center. I think white glove might offer that, but I would call to confirm.

As an aside, I have that exact stand for my Sony X90CH 85" and be warned, it causes the TV to tilt forward a little bit. It doesn't affect viewing angles, but it's not going to be a perfect 90 degree vertical angle. I also worried about it tipping with kids, so I grabbed these straps to anchor it to the wall:

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Standard Costco delivery will only open the box to make sure it's not damaged. They will not help you attach the stand or set it up on your entertainment center. I think white glove might offer that, but I would call to confirm.

As an aside, I have that exact stand for my Sony X90CH 85" and be warned, it causes the TV to tilt forward a little bit. It doesn't affect viewing angles, but it's not going to be a perfect 90 degree vertical angle. I also worried about it tipping with kids, so I grabbed these straps to anchor it to the wall:

I bought anti-tip straps already.
Leaning forward is not good- I'd wall mount it but the adjacent wall is brick- which will be a PITA to do and expensive.

I noticed that- but I'm using a 3rd party stand and on top of that I'm not wall mounting it.

I have the Best Buy Total Tech package, so it's only $50 for mounting and setup services- it's just that they're so booked up it will take a while to get them to do it. If I wanted them to wall mount to brick it will be $75 extra, then ~$100 for a sturdy wall mount. Honestly I'm afraid to have them mount such a huge TV to the wall, plus it will screw up my condo when I want to sell it.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
OP wants it wall mounted. White Glove delivery doesn't cover that.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't live in the US, but couldn't that Taskrabbit service be a good fit for something like this?

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As secretanchitman mentioned, I recommend using Amazon for this. When I got my TV in December, they not only helped me mount it to an existing mount but also helped mount the TV they took down for it in another room, including installing the mount to the wall.

I don't live in the US, but couldn't that Taskrabbit service be a good fit for something like this?
I wouldn't recommend this. Those guys aren't insured and aren't associated with the retailer, so if they fuck up your TV, you're fucked.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
As secretanchitman mentioned, I recommend using Amazon for this. When I got my TV in December, they not only helped me mount it to an existing mount but also helped mount the TV they took down for it in another room, including installing the mount to the wall.

I wouldn't recommend this. Those guys aren't insured and aren't associated with the retailer, so if they fuck up your TV, you're fucked.
Costco has an amazing 90 day return policy- they'll come and physically take the TV and exchange it for a new one if I have a problem. I also get a 7yr warranty with it.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Costco has an amazing 90 day return policy- they'll come and physically take the TV and exchange it for a new one if I have a problem. I also get a 7yr warranty with it.
They will actually come and get the TV and deliver a replacement without you having to wait in the long return line yourself?

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
They will actually come and get the TV and deliver a replacement without you having to wait in the long return line yourself?
Yes, for larger TVs returns/repairs are in-home. I've only ever bought TVs from Costco, and due to their awesome warranties, I went from a 70" Vizio in 2016 to an 82" Samsung in 2018 to an 85" Sony in 2020 for a total of -$600. My current Sony has a 7 year warranty, so if anything goes wrong it will likely mean another upgrade.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I guess I'll call my local Best Buy and see if I can coordinate the delivery with Geek Squad putting it on the stand.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yes, for larger TVs returns/repairs are in-home. I've only ever bought TVs from Costco, and due to their awesome warranties, I went from a 70" Vizio in 2016 to an 82" Samsung in 2018 to an 85" Sony in 2020 for a total of -$600. My current Sony has a 7 year warranty, so if anything goes wrong it will likely mean another upgrade.

Wow, I never knew that. I always contemplated buying a bigger tv from costco but feared having to somehow lug it back to the store. Is that with the extended warranty they sell or the regular one (or both)?

Oct 25, 2017

i had a near catastrophic experience with a TaskRabbit guy when I hired one just to put the normal LG stand on my C9 65. He took the box off and let it fall face first forward. By the luck of the gods the styrofoam had landed where it fell right before so it didn't break but I was so incredibly pissed.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I never knew that. I always contemplated buying a bigger tv from costco but feared having to somehow lug it back to the store. Is that with the extended warranty they sell or the regular one (or both)?
That's without. By default Costco adds 1 year to the manufacturer's warranty. If you use your Costco Citi Visa, they add another 2 years on top of that (3 additional years total). The Citi Visa warranty does require filing a claim, but it's pretty painless, it just takes a little longer than a manufacturer's warranty to process.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
That's without. By default Costco adds 1 year to the manufacturer's warranty. If you use your Costco Citi Visa, they add another 2 years on top of that (3 additional years total). The Citi Visa warranty does require filing a claim, but it's pretty painless, it just takes a little longer than a manufacturer's warranty to process.
On this TV Costco offers 3yrs instead of the 1yr warranty offered by Vizio.