• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
l8dznvt36rs51.jpg

(not mine)

www.youtube.com

Every other monitor is DEAD to me - LG CX OLED 48"

For a limited time, use code LINUSTECH10 for $10 off any purchase of a YubiKey 5 Series key at https://yubi.co/Linus-Tech-YT - Promotion ends Nov. 13th, 2020...

I mean damn. It looks so clean. HDMI 2.1. Gsync. OLED. 120 hz.

I've been using a 27 in 1440p/144 monitor for years and I like it, but this seems like the move now. Thinking about buying a new very wide desk and mounting it on the wall like in that pic. I see very few downsides besides the huge display and growing pains with the CX models firmware. The top of the line monitors are near 2k anyway.

Just curious if anyone here is living this dream already and what your desk setup is like.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
www.resetera.com

About PC gaming on and OLED TV

Hi ERA, I had the idea switching from an classical PC monitor, to an OLED TV. I have the LG 55 inch E6D. I also have an 2.1 System with an Receiver made by Marantz. The distance from my couch to the TV is approx 2.5 to 3 meters. The thing is, would it make sense? My PC setup is: nVidia 1080...

www.resetera.com

About to buy an LG OLED for PC Gaming, do I need to fret about burn in?

I'm off to buy an LG BX OLED today for my office room. I'll be hooking up my PC to it and swapping between monitor and TV depending on the need. I've been reading the review on ratings: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/bx-oled They do warn about burn in. I'm a bit paranoid now especially...

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I do. It's incredible. I had to mount it though because its default stand sticks out so much and was too close as a result. It's a lot of monitor.

I do a few things to baby it though since it's OLED, like hiding the taskbar, having a black desktop, and keeping backlight below 50 unless I'm playing an HDR title or watching HDR content.

ClearType also should get switched off.

Flash

Oct 27, 2017
48" is just too large for most setups for practical everyday use, gaming or productivity.

LG has figured out there is a thirst for smaller panels approaching traditional monitor sizes.

A 32" 4K 144hz+ G-Sync OLED panel from LG is what most PC gamers are waiting for. I believe LG will release a 43" version of their praised OLED panels but even then that's on the large side.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
It's a terrible idea. Computer operating systems and programs are loaded with static elements that can cause burn-in super easily. Yes, you can work around it, but you shouldn't have to change the way you use your computer to accomodate a $1000+ monitor.

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
I was gonna do this but it's just too big for me.

Hoping to see some OLED monitors in the future. 32" is the sweet spot.

Some laptops already have OLED panels I don't understand why we still don't have OLED monitors

OP
OP

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Yeah, I do. It's incredible. I had to mount it though because its default stand sticks out so much and was too close as a result. It's a lot of monitor.

I do a few things to baby it though since it's OLED, like hiding the taskbar, having a black desktop, and keeping backlight below 50 unless I'm playing an HDR title or watching HDR content.

ClearType also should get switched off.

do you have a pic of your setup?

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to use mine, but something with the 3080s and it is bugged to all hell so it keeps breaking.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking for my perfect monitor for years now, and this is as close as it gets.

382888_IMG_20200912_163032_1.jpg

The key to making this work is sitting back far enough (I'm 48" away from mine), and wall-mounting a little under desk height to get a good eye-level.

I'll be getting my RTX 3080 soon to fully utilize its features.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
I do, i just hide the task bar so i don't have anything static for a prolonged period of time and it has work flawlessly (Oled LG B8 55")

Oct 27, 2017
Not as a primary. No, but like the picture in the OP, I have one connect and beside my monitors.
EwBvPEG.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I recently moved my OLED into the room with my computer and connected them, but it isn't my primary monitor. I just use it for comfy couch gaming and to leave the occasional youtube or other video playing. I've had some minor headaches around the way windows handles switching primary monitors (desktop icons getting shuffled around), but for the most part Steam big picture mode takes care of it automatically.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I am. I'm using a 60" LG OLED as a PC monitor. It's pretty great, but once in a while I still get that dumb issue where if I switch sound output from headset to TV, it loses sound completely until I power cycle the TV by unplugging it and plugging it back in.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I've got a 48 inch CX and was considering it but it's just too damn big, I hate looking from corner to corner

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Hot setup!

I sometimes use it with my K400 when working from home. But I don't love it as it's not at my desk where I prefer to do work.

sidenote: jealous of those speakers. really need to get some good ones like that

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I want the 48" GX real bad

but I know I'd stress way too hard about burn in so fuck it

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
I tired but no, is just too large, my neck was hurting from moving my head up and down just from jumping between the start bar and windows elements.

Call me back when they have a 32' 4k oled, 100% color reproduction, 1000 nits HDR, 2.1 hdmi, 144hrz that I can dim to almost 0% for those gaming nights.

OP
OP

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
I'm really not tripping about burn in because I used a Panasonic Plasma as a monitor for years and it was fine lol. My setup was way different back then though and now I kind of have limited space in an office room and not using by bedroom. Seems like you need a giant desk to make this work and to mount it on the wall.

terawatt

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using a regular Samsung led 40" 4k panel as a monitor for about 3 years now and my taskbar has burnt in over the last six months, I've taken zero measures to prevent it though.

Been thinking about upgrading to the 48" CX, maybe when it gets abit cheaper - would be hard going back to a normal monitor.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
It's a terrible idea. Computer operating systems and programs are loaded with static elements that can cause burn-in super easily. Yes, you can work around it, but you shouldn't have to change the way you use your computer to accomodate a $1000+ monitor.

Hasn't been my experience, we have two at our business I do heavy video editing and my boss has hosted multi week long training seminars in a row via the C9. No burn in detected.

Oct 29, 2017
I really wanted the LG CX 48'' but it was delayed in Canada due to covid, so I ended up getting the 55'' C9 for the same price which I'm ultimately happier with as the panel is essentially the same but larger. I paired it with a corsair lapboard for my corsair mechanical keyboard, and it's great to use in bed or from my wheelchair. The key is to sit far back enough.
zUmEyA4.jpg

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
I got a 43 inch Sony 4k tv as a monitor. It only does 60hz but it's great for work, I use it every day now that I'm working from home. I think something a bit smaller like 34 - 38 inch would be perfect.

Jul 26, 2018

Idk how to really post pics here and idk if you guys can see it hahaha.

But yes i've purchased myself the LG CX 48 inch and imo, it's probably one of the best purchases ever.

I use this as my side monitor to watch movies from my Xbox, watch youtube, movies, amazon prime movies, twitch streams, etc. I also play some singleplayer games with the RTX 3080 which is an awesome experience. Just played Sea of Thieves for a bit and it looks so beautiful. Max settings and smooth 120FPS... yummy.

Of course, ive disabled taskbar which looks nicer imo. Yet my brightness is a bit low because my room is overall dark. Pretty happy that i don't have to turn the brightness up.

I don't think i've even enabled HDR on my PC yet. Just on my consoles. But overall, i'm really happy with this purchase. I was looking for a 4k monitor yet, one of the best ones was over $1K 144hz (Acer Predator I think). But with that money and extra, i've decided to go for the OLED instead. At this point, i can't see myself spending over $1K on a tv/monitor unless it's OLED.

Nomujoa

Oct 30, 2017
Used a 55' C8 and then a C9 [pictured] for my primary gaming monitor. I have a laid back HM lounge chair for any console/controller gaming along with the pictured HMCosm chair that I mainly use for work.
XF4CU3C.jpg

YBMXdfG.jpg

I get that for some the size of this screen is too large, but for reference - I've pictured the Samsung G9 ultra wide for comparison which actually feels larger despite the smaller dimensions due to information being on the side of your vision at seated distance [which is why I mainly use it now for work]

[Cable's are a mess right now as I just installed the sound system [amplifier + 5.1] and the 3080

Deleted member 73264

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 28, 2020
I run a cable from my PC to a C9 set up in my living room, I use it as my secondary monitor. It's great for couch gaming.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Yep. I use an LG CX 55 inch as a PC monitor. G-Sync, 1440P @ 120hz, and once I get my RTX 3080, I'll be able to experience 4K @ 120fps depending on game.

DyA7eAh.jpg

Need to do some cable management but holding off because I'm getting some new audio equipment (Edifier R1280T and Schiit Magni 3+ and Modi 3) which will serve replacement for my TV speakers.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Yup. Using a cac 1085 and I am doing a fullish 4k120hz. It's every beatiful as it sounds. I already play older games so it's been perfect for me as a monitor. I have posted in the C9 thread about how my tv has a problem with the display going out for a few seconds randomly once in a while, but other than that it's beautiful and I wouldn't go back to under 4k 120hz.

Nomujoa

Oct 30, 2017
Nomujoa that setup is ridiculous

how do you like the g9? i thought about it but the curve is so extreme

Hopefully ridiculous good? My first attempt at a work/gaming setup, and due to COVID almost all the walnut desk tops were out of stock for a good length of time - so decided on a monochrome setup with RGB accents. The Phillips hues light strips around the edges of the desk top surfaces are great at changing the lighting through the year!

I like the G9 a lot and I did play all of AC Odyssey on it and enjoyed it - but ultra wide gaming is still a compromised experience in a lot of games [where cutscenes or UI is limited to to the 16:9 space regardless of your aspect ratio], so I ended up going back to the C9 for all my gaming needs and I used the G9 with my MacBook Pro [I have a lot of data/timelines/emails/decks open, so not a poor investment]. I still have a DisplayPort cable running between the 3080 and the monitor in case I do want to use it for an ultra wide game, but I'm too much of a fan of OLED and having massive black bars in every cutscene or conversation dialogue

The curve is a pleasure for work, it pretty much eliminated eye strain for me - but for gaming you might find your head tilting left and right far more than you'd like unless you sit a decent distance back from the screen.

Apophis

Nov 6, 2017
Germany
Im using my LG B7 OLED as monitor for 2 years now and never had problems until recently. First Two Point Hospitals little dollar sign *burned* in, but that was after 10s of hours of gaming. It went away though. Now I have a line from Persona 4s character speaking boxes. Usually the display dims down after a minute or so if theres no movement but not in Persona 4 for some reason.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
This is a set up I hope to have....sometime in the distant future. But, I always think about playing C&C on that screen. Seems like a nightmare.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Yes...3090 FE & LG CX 48.
Connected to a Denon 7.2 surround sound receiver
most amazing gaming experience I've had so far.

0rVYJPZ.jpg

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I've been looking for my perfect monitor for years now, and this is as close as it gets.

The key to making this work is sitting back far enough (I'm 48" away from mine), and wall-mounting a little under desk height to get a good eye-level.

Completely unrelated, but I'm loving that mousepad you're rocking there lol Any info you can give me on it? đź‘€

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I've been using a TV as my main PC monitor for some 6 years now, and I've been quite happy with it. I do miss the desk set-up at times, but overall it's worked out quite well for both browsing and gaming

I have a LG C9 right now and I don't think it's very good as a PC monitor because of all of the auto-dimming features which you can't change. It's SUPER obvious when it kicks in, it's not gradual and very jaring where as soon as I open a new browser tab or a windows settings page where there's a little too much white the entire image gets 50% darker.

Ex Libris

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Odd question but what is that cool DAC you are using for your JBLs. I have a similar set up but am looking for a DAC that can handle both the PS 5 and PC for my JBL 305s

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fancy LG OLED, just a plain 50" TCL. I sit quite close to it too (1.5m away max), and love it.

06snZ3.jpg

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking of moving my PC into the room where I watch movies and play PS4 on my tv, however, since I sit on a couch I wouldn't be able to play games like Disco Elysium that requires you to be closer to read dialogue and navigate.