• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I love the flashy looks, the cross-dressing, and just everything. Lots of people hate it, but images like this are nostalgic as hell for me:
versailles_band.jpg
ea551264d4f9cd4af1a6632afa7dc357.jpg

Yeah, a lot of Visual Kei bands look like they work in Shinjuku at the top host clubs, but I don't care. I love my beautiful boys.

I got into Japanese music when I was around 12, and most of the bands I listened to were Visual Kei for a number of years after that: NoGoD, The Gazette, Dir en Grey, Malice Mizer, Buck-Tick, Kagrra, MUCC, Girugamesh, and such. In high school, I started listening to a lot more music and kinda leaned into the Japanese indie rock scene more as Visual Kei continued to die and I went through college. I still love Jupiter/Versailles (saw them play a couple times in Japan, too!), and I listen to my old favorites every once in a while. I'm feeling nostalgic now about V-kei right now and kinda want to get back into it. I hear Gazette and Luna Sea have had good stuff recently, but I want to see what's new in this mostly dead scene.

I found DIMLIM, which has heavy inspiration from prog and math rock.

Looks like v-kei got heavy while I was gone, with Deathcore groups like Deviloof. Probably not my preferred kind of metal, but it's fun every now and then.

So, three other era members that like v-kei, what are you listening to (old or new)?

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
These are some of the first songs I think of when I think of Visual Kei. Each really represents the way genres within the movement shifted over the decades.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I don't have any relationship with visual kei at all. Not sure if I'm too young for the 80's wave or too old for the aughts wave. But it's really cool that you made this thread about it; I appreciate that. The nostalgia and the enthusiasm. Might listen to a few of the songs posted here in the morning, just to try and get a better understanding of the genre, if nothing else.

As of right now I just think it's interesting that a musical genre has a name that's so focused on appearance rather than sound. You could probably say that about a few other genres out there, like glam rock and so on, but this seems even more noteworthy to me.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
X Japan is one of my favorite bands. Just wish Yoshiki would release the new album, but at this point it may never happen.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
i love urbangarde but thats where i stop
I never thought about it, but I suppose they had some v-kei influence.
As of right now I just think it's interesting that a musical genre has a name that's so focused on appearance rather than sound. You could probably say that about a few other genres out there, like glam rock and so on, but this seems even more noteworthy to me.
Yeah, and it can be very confusing. It's more a movement than a genre, I suppose. I feel like v-kei bands in the 90s had a pretty similar sound, but it diverged with subgenres and inspiration from other kinds of music. Visual Kei is similar to the Scene trend in the west where bands were pretty diverse, but the people into the fashion largely had a lot of musical interest overlap.

Nov 24, 2017
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Gackt yet, to me he will always be the Visual-Keu king (Mentioning Malice Mizer doesn't):

I'll always have a soft spot for Dir En Grey - they were the last band I saw live here in London before lockdown, man... they are just such amazing performers!

Will check out some of the bands you've mentioned OP that I hadn't heard of - have you listened to Nightmare, Vidoll or Acid Black Cherry?

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I loved hear Malice Mizer and moi dix mois some 10-15 years ago. I didn't know X-Japan was considered visual key, but that is a band I listen time to time.

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
I actually don't like much the "visual" part of Visual-kei but I still regularly listen to old-school Dir en Grey, Malice Mizer and Luna Sea (and L'Arc-en-Ciel, dare I say).

RenorMirshann

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
Poland
I was very invested into this music in my teenage years, and I still have my album collection, listen to old favourites and even buy some CDs from time to time (I recently found the best of Miyavi for cheap, how can you say no?)

Edit: I 'm aware that Miyavi is not a VK musician right now, but he started as one!

But the interest for new VK stuff mostly faded and I have no idea what the VK scene looks like now. I did not know the bands you posted, OP (DIMLIM, Deviloof), so thanks for the clips! DIMLIM sounds very interesting, Deviloof is also not bad but that's a little too much for me right now :D

What I know is that NoGoD is still alive and kicking, after all these years (without the bassist, though):

Still love them dearly :)

Last edited:

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Man, that takes me back... I was in Berlin when Dir en Grey performed, for (I think?) the first time in Europe.
Don't listen to Visual Kei stuff a lot anymore, but sometimes, X Japan just hits the spot

EDIT:
I should be somewhere in this picture from 2005
Direngreyberlin2006.png

Talk about the before-times, seeing this many people in close proximity...

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Gackt yet, to me he will always be the Visual-Keu king (Mentioning Malice Mizer doesn't):
I knew that if this thread got any replies, Gackt would be brought up. Mizerable is a classic. I loved him so much growing up.

Will check out some of the bands you've mentioned OP that I hadn't heard of - have you listened to Nightmare, Vidoll or Acid Black Cherry?
Absolutely listened to a lot of Nightmare and ABC. I'll check out Vidoll! My very favorite v-kei artists were probably Versailles, Malice Mizer, Gackt, and Kagrra,.

I didn't know X-Japan was considered visual key, but that is a band I listen time to time.
They're considered to be the originators.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
I saw Dir En Grey maybe 5-6 years ago in NYC and they were straight up a metal band...it was a great show though!

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
Man the teenage years lol. I sometimes still pull up Gazette once in a while and listen to Guren

RenorMirshann

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
Poland
Man, that takes me back... I was in Berlin when Dir en Grey performed, for (I think?) the first time in Europe.
Don't listen to Visual Kei stuff a lot anymore, but sometimes, X Japan just hits the spot

EDIT:
I should be somewhere in this picture from 2005
Direngreyberlin2006.png

Talk about the before-times, seeing this many people in close proximity...

I'm somewhere in there too! :D Don't remember much besides the heat.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
X Japan - Blue Blood is a masterpiece.

I've only listened to other visual kei bands in that style, the thrash metal stuff from the 80s, nothing newer. I love a lot of Japanese punk/hardcore/metal so there's some overlap.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I'm somewhere in there too! :D Don't remember much besides the heat.
I think we were one of the first people there, when my buddy and I (16 and 15 at the time) showed up, there were like 50 people around, and we had like 5+ hours to go. I remember the insane heat, people collapsing in front of the building due to the lack of shade and water... good thing I had a backpack full of bananas and water. And a salt shaker I had taken from a café, enraged at their "3€ for a glass of tap water" prices.
Nostalgia got its sweet hooks in me, phew.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
The first time I saw Jupiter perform was in Yokohama, and I remember the show was mostly women my age (early 20s), high school girls in uniforms, and some random dudes that stayed in the back. All of them were headbanging so hard. It was cool to see the girls in uniforms all headbanging in unison!

I also saw Exist Trace play in Shimokitazawa a few years ago. I need more all female v-kei bands.

RenorMirshann

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
Poland
I think we were one of the first people there, when my buddy and I (16 and 15 at the time) showed up, there were like 50 people around, and we had like 5+ hours to go. I remember the insane heat, people collapsing in front of the building due to the lack of shade and water... good thing I had a backpack full of bananas and water. And a salt shaker I had taken from a café, enraged at their "3€ for a glass of tap water" prices.
Nostalgia got its sweet hooks in me, phew.

Now that you mentioned it, one of the girls that I went with (we rented a bus from Warsaw to Berlin) was standing near me and collapsed like an hour before gates opening, I remember dragging her out of the crowd to the other side of the street.

she was fine, but I never got back to my old spot and was pretty much near the bar when they finally started playing, but still, had a great time.

I remember going crazy when Obscure started, screaming together with a guy that I've never met before, talked with him for a minute after the show and he flew from Brazil only to see them that night - that's dedication!

Edit: oh, and the water, yeah... I bought one cup after the show, drank half of it and emptied the rest on my head. The most expensive nips of water I've ever had.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
This seems accurate, because I'm not super into either of those bands (love Raining Blood, but I'm not a big thrash metal fan usually), but I do like Sex Machineguns!

also, the band name is so fuckin' funny. "How do we top Sex Pistols?!? I got it! Sex Machineguns!"

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
i don't really care about their looks, only the music :

Sorta OT, but if you like Syu's guitar stylings, definitely check out Galneryus' (he's the lead guitarist) album Phoenix Rising, if you're not already familiar. Tear Off Your Chain has some insane riffs.
e: oh, I'm dumb. It says he's from Galneryus in the title. I just saw "Syu" and went off. haha
Now that you mentioned it, one of the girls that I went with (we rented a bus from Warsaw to Berlin)
You had a real v-kei journey. That sounds amazing.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Sorta OT, but if you like Syu's guitar stylings, definitely check out Galneryus' (he's the lead guitarist) album Phoenix Rising, if you're not already familiar. Tear Off Your Chain has some insane riffs.
e: oh, I'm dumb. It says he's from Galneryus in the title. I just saw "Syu" and went off. haha

yeah, i knew galneryus since like 2005, i still prefere the old singer compared to the new one

Doodlebug

Oct 25, 2017
I was super into visual kei about 10-15 years ago. I've seen Hyde live in California, i went to a Gackt concert during his Diabolos era in Tokyo.

I've seen Moi dix Mois in concert three times; once in Paris and twice in Tokyo.

I've met Mana-sama personally four times; three for his personal meet and greets and once at a guitar store where he was shopping with a fellow bandmate.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Now that you mentioned it, one of the girls that I went with (we rented a bus from Warsaw to Berlin) was standing near me and collapsed like an hour before gates opening, I remember dragging her out of the crowd to the other side of the street.

she was fine, but I never got back to my old spot and was pretty much near the bar when they finally started playing, but still, had a great time.

I remember going crazy when Obscure started, screaming together with a guy that I've never met before, talked with him for a minute after the show and he flew from Brazil only to see them that night - that's dedication!

Edit: oh, and the water, yeah... I bought one cup after the show, drank half of it and emptied the rest on my head. The most expensive nips of water I've ever had.
Loads of people collapsed out there, and later in the building as well. Crazy concert.
I just looked through loads of old photo galleries, mostly pics of people waiting outside, and damn.
Visual Kei sure is a subculture that attracts outsiders, huh? And I fully include 15 year old me in there, haha.

We came from Austria, was quite the car ride. Worth it though.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved it, but listened only to five bands or so.
Girugamesh especially. Watched them live in Vienna before they disbanded. God were they good. Deathgaze, Deluhi, Mejibray and then of course Gazette. Hyde is awesome too if he counts.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I was super into visual kei about 10-15 years ago. I've seen Hyde live in California, i went to a Gackt concert during his Diabolos era in Tokyo.

I've seen Moi dix Mois in concert three times; once in Paris and twice in Tokyo.

I've met Mana-sama personally four times; three for his personal meet and greets and once at a guitar store where he was shopping with a fellow bandmate.
That sounds incredible! You've seen acts all over the place. I've only ever been to Japanese shows in Japan, I think. Never got to meet anyone in Jupiter or Versailles when I saw them play, because the shows were too big ;_;

Doodlebug

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds incredible! You've seen acts all over the place. I've only ever been to Japanese shows in Japan, I think. Never got to meet anyone in Jupiter or Versailles when I saw them play, because the shows were too big ;_;

I have had some incredible experiences that I am eternally grateful for. My favorite VK bands played a HUGE role in my early 20s, to which whenever I hear certain songs I am transported back to a different time. Super nostalgic for me and I'll always have a special place in my heart for it.

I was also a bit of a Moi dix Mois groupie. I had friends in the know while I lived in Tokyo and we always had snippets of info on where the guys would be, lol. Good times.

Last edited:

RenorMirshann

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
Poland
Loads of people collapsed out there, and later in the building as well. Crazy concert.
I just looked through loads of old photo galleries, mostly pics of people waiting outside, and damn.
Visual Kei sure is a subculture that attracts outsiders, huh? And I fully include 15 year old me in there, haha.

We came from Austria, was quite the car ride. Worth it though.

Yeah, I also remember LOTS of ambulances on the street after I went out. Multiple tens of people callapsed there, for sure.

Funny thing is that I've looked like the most boring teenager back then, VK did not influence my looks at all, the only thing that would reveal me as a VK fan would be my backpack with a bunch of badges.

oni_saru

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Omg yessss I was super into visual kei back when I was in high school.

I still listen to a lot of the stuff I listened to back then! I don't follow the current visual kei scene

Some that I listened to/still listen to Kagerou (RIP Daisuke), Gazette, Dir en Grey (not visual kei anymore but still making awesome music), Hyde, Buck Tick, Rentrei en Soi, 9GoatsBlackOut, Kagraa

Just naming a few of the big ones for me

Doodlebug

Oct 25, 2017
Omg yessss I was super into visual kei back when I was in high school.

I still listen to a lot of the stuff I listened to back then! I don't follow the current visual kei scene

Some that I listened to/still listen to Kagerou (RIP Daisuke), Gazette, Dir en Grey (not visual kei anymore but still making awesome music), Hyde, Buck Tick, Rentrei en Soi, 9GoatsBlackOut, Kagraa

Just naming a few of the big ones for me

Man, if we all in this thread were friends back when we were really jamming this shit, we'd have an epic time, for sure.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I don't actively listen to them, but I did binge on some old music videos a few days ago (mostly Dir en grey).
While the music doesn't do much for me anymore, the feminine costumes are still kinda magical (#goals?), even though the artifice of the whole "movement" now rubs me the wrong way. It legit felt like a betrayal when they all suddenly abandoned the stockings and make-up.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Oof in high school I was super into it. I still listen to jrock but I don't follow VK specifically, more like following certain genres leads to bands with the VK aesthetic.

oni_saru

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Dir en grey are one of my favourite bands. This song is also one of my favourites of all-time:

Dir en Grey was doing a tour for each of their albums and it was the first time in a long time they played some of their earlier stuff. When they played Yokan, they looked like they were having so much fun! XD