• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having criticisms about a game and disliking it != hate group

Labelling everyone who doesn't like the things you do as a hater just makes you seem less credible

Well, saying "it ruined the franchise" or "took a crap in the face of old fans" doesn't sound like just disliking it , IMO of course. But I'm not talking about everyone, as you can see in this thread, some didn't like the RE4 direction, others hate RE7 for that same reason (haven't played it yet).

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I get what you're saying. But there's a lot of hyperbole here, the usual "it's either best at something or complete shit" kind. There's no middle ground. It's so easy to just drive by and say something stupid and move on.

I love the classic RE games and I love RE4. And I just completed The Evil Within, too. Loved it. REmake and RE4 are probably both im my TOP10.

My point is, that just because something doesn't stay the same, doesn't mean it can't be good.

Resident Evil 4 is a masterclass of game design. It's universally praised, it's pretty much always within TOP20 in the best games of all time lists, it's one of the few games EDGE magazine gave 10/10 retrospectively and game designers use it as a template:

https://youtu.be/BBV9xAR9imQ

Can you say any of these things about the previous RE games?

I agree with you that just because something changes it doesn't mean it can't be good, but at the end of the day it's all subjective.

For me personally, I like all the Resident Evil games but I favor the classic style the most. It doesn't matter which games have the highest scores, the most praise, the most awards, etc. None of that factors into my personal preference or enjoyment of something.

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I fucked up on this one.

I skipped it at the time because I didn't like the setting, and I tried to play it a year or so ago and couldn't get into it because of the graphics / aged feel. RIP

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I originally disliked it because the controls were wrong, but now I hate it because other people tolerated it.

Unguided

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone rightfully loves Resident Evil 4, but some people think it's not a real RE title.
It does feel like a side story that the characters have wandered into (and I say this having not played the others), but who cares? It's the best and it still holds up well. Played it for the first time only last year after grabbing it off humble and it's one of the best things I played that year.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I like it, but I do think it's slightly overrated. The QTEs are awful, it's incredibly brown, the story sucks (yes I know it's RE, but in the old ones it wasn't as intrusive, I felt), and I preferred the survival horror style of the previous games.

Still a good game, but I have no intention of ever replaying it.

Resident Evie

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I remember when it came out I was scandalized that there were no zombies or Umbrella. But then I played it and I fell in love instantly. It's just too good. The core gameplay loop of constantly pushing forward while supplexing hordes of ganados. Leon's wisecracks. The big open eerie areas. It's just perfection!

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried playing it back in the day on PS2 and hated the controls, particularly not being able to move your character while aiming. I'm now waiting for that HD texture mod for PC to give the game another chance.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
They're not "shit", but they're not good. This isn't like the Rareware decoupled aiming system that you still see in games like ARMA. This isn't like when people pretend you couldn't move while shooting in GoldenEye. This is a fundamentally clunky camera that translates somewhat poorly to a mouse and keyboard. (Despite this, RE4 is best played with a mouse and keyboard or motion controls.) You can't turn the camera. It just kinda shifts around. You can't move sideways like a normal person. You can't aim your gun and move at the same time. RE4 isn't really a horror game. Its "horror" comes from fighting the controls. Controls that basically nobody else used. I mean, seriously. RE4 was an influence on everything from Gears of War to The Last of Us, but you'll notice that none of them replicated its controls, because its controls were bad. Dead Space is basically RE4 (Yes, Dead Space started out as a System Shock style game, but that's another discussion) without the jank. Dead Space 1 was released in 2008, and yet Resident Evil 5 in 2009 still had those clunky, archaic controls with a tossed in strafing system.
Why can't Metroid crawl?

Oct 25, 2017
I fucked up on this one.

I skipped it at the time because I didn't like the setting, and I tried to play it a year or so ago and couldn't get into it because of the graphics / aged feel. RIP

I don't understand this. I'm still playing old games (20-30 year old games) and having fun. Graphics are a part of a game but they're not the reason why a game is good, bad, fun or not fun to play....(no offense!)

BTW: The Wii version is the definitive version, imo.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why can't Mario just punch Goombas in 3D World like he could in 64? He needs to be a cat to do it now? Such a clunky game.
Mario 64 fans dislike basically every Mario after Sunshine with the possible exception of Odyssey for pretty much this reason. Also Mario's stuff and clunky movement controls.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I understand your viewpoint, but I can't agree to it. I could misunderstand, but you seems to place functionnality above anything else, and I can't just appreciate something for how it just works and nothing else. The story of RE4 does follow the traditional dramatic structure (five stages and all that) so you can say it is functional, but so does any Uwe Boll movies stories, and they are as functional as the RE4 story, yet I wouldn't call any of them good. You think every character serves a purpose in RE4's story, I disagree, especially if you put the game in the context of the larger RE universe, but it's fine for you, because, in your mind, the story is functional enough. So are you judging the story "good", or is it "good enough" ?

RE4's story is non-invasive. It doesn't harm the gameplay at all. There isn't a filler character in the game at all. Given how much RE4 changed things for the series, the story structure is probably the one element that remained intact.

Other RE games like Revelations or even CV have been criticized due to their story. I agree that in those games, the plot and cutscenes can be detrimental to the enjoyment of the game. With RE4, I just cannot see how its story can be seen in remotely the same light.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I can't stand it honestly, while I respect the gameplay and what it is, it's not Resident Evil to me.

Resident Evil 1-3 were top tier, and with ReMake, Zero, CV, Outbreak 1/2... 4 was just not the same game.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I don't dislike it. It's a decent game. Never understood why it was held as the second coming of Jesus though.

PensivePen

Oct 25, 2017
They're not "shit", but they're not good. This isn't like the Rareware decoupled aiming system that you still see in games like ARMA. This isn't like when people pretend you couldn't move while shooting in GoldenEye. This is a fundamentally clunky camera that translates somewhat poorly to a mouse and keyboard. (Despite this, RE4 is best played with a mouse and keyboard or motion controls.) You can't turn the camera. It just kinda shifts around. You can't move sideways like a normal person. You can't aim your gun and move at the same time. RE4 isn't really a horror game. Its "horror" comes from fighting the controls. Controls that basically nobody else used. I mean, seriously. RE4 was an influence on everything from Gears of War to The Last of Us, but you'll notice that none of them replicated its controls, because its controls were bad. Dead Space is basically RE4 (Yes, Dead Space started out as a System Shock style game, but that's another discussion) without the jank. Dead Space 1 was released in 2008, and yet Resident Evil 5 in 2009 still had those clunky, archaic controls with a tossed in strafing system.

Your primary complaint with the controls seems to be that they don't give you as much freedom as other games, which I don't see an issue with because the game is not designed around having that level of freedom of movement or aiming. Not every game needs to have the same controls and merely being different from its contemporaries (or in this case, successors) isn't a mark against a game in and of itself.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your primary complaint with the controls seems to be that they don't give you as much freedom as other games, which I don't see an issue with because the game is not designed around having that level of freedom of movement or aiming. Not every game needs to have the same controls and merely being different from its contemporaries (or in this case, successors) isn't a mark against a game in and of itself.
My primarily complaint is that the controls feel bad to use. The game is "fun" with a mouse and keyboard, but Dead Space is MORE FUN. In fact, most third person shooters feel better to play than RE4 in terms of camera and movement. The fact they hinder gameplay is important, but secondary. The two go hand in hand, basically. It's the same reason Tomb Raider 1-AoD's controls are bad, while Indian Jones and the Infernal Machine's controls are good. Well, the PC version of Infernal Machine has terrible controls that are somehow even worse than Tomb Raider's controls. But the N64 version of Indiana Jones introduces 3D movement and a nice new targeting system which makes the game fundamentally better to play than Tomb Raider 1/2/3/4/5/AoD. This isn't "different = bad". Controls that actively get in the way of the player doing what they want to do are bad.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I just mentioned a couple weeks ago that I don't like it:

[...]
But yeah, it's too bad when you don't like the universally praised thing. I didn't really like RE4, for example. Stopped maybe 5 hours or so in. And while I think Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a great, even excellent platformer, it didn't blow my socks off like it did for some people.
[..]

However, I only really brought it up to talk about the larger point of subjectivity. I understand why people like to make their dislike of an acclaimed thing heard (who doesn't like to be heard, after all?), but I try to refrain from doing so, because I think the gaming community tends to lean too heavily into the complaining and negativity side of things, so I (usually) try not to contribute to that. Not that complaints shouldn't be made, I just think we lean that way as a community too much.

But since you asked, yes, I don't like RE4.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
It's a great game!

At the time I liked it, but felt it was a stupid wacky action thing that was a poor sequel to my beloved horror series.

Now, it's gotten so much more stupid and low brow since then. (5 and 6 and those awful CG movies in particular).

Seven is a huge step in the right direction, but they couldn't help themselves and made the second half of the game more like condemned 2 mixed with a little RE6, as if they didn't quite have confidence in that amazing first half.

MrBoBo

Nov 6, 2017
Enemies stop 2 foot in front of you. headshot + Kick + Slash
Congrats, you've won the game.

Kick ladder, have enemies pick it up in a constant loop.

Kick door over and over in a loop.

It's biggest issue is that practically everything, form generic zombies to regeneradors and bosses can be cheesed with minimal effort.

Some section (Jet Ski ending) feel completely out of place.

Fantastic game though. But certainty not perfect.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Enemies stop 2 foot in front of you. headshot + Kick + Slash

Kick ladder, have enemies pick it up in a constant loop.

Kick door over and over in a loop.

It's biggest issue is that practically everything, form generic zombies to regeneradors and bosses can be cheesed with minimal effort.

Some section (Jet Ski ending) feel completely out of place.

Fantastic game though. But certainty not perfect.

I think you're remembering the game very, very wrong, or just played the beginning and trying to seem clever. The game only has ladders in the very beginning of it (and the game designs itself so you never have your back completely safe when you can use a ladder so you can't just stay there and do that with 0 effort since enemies will sneak up behind you via other methods), and the game specifically has enemies either without obvious head points, having items that protect their heads, or even not humanoid enemies to prevent this, and even the ones that show their heads later in the game the Las Plagas burst out of heads so headshots become not always the optimal route since going for them makes more powerful enemies, or the final Las Plagas form literally their heads will jump off as those spider things and run around trickily. You even mention Regenerators and literally headshots do nothing to them (because they have multiple plagas weak points and most often they're not in the head).

Last edited:

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Better yet, why can't Action RE games have decent controls?

They can, it's called being RE6 or RER2.
It's almost as upsetting as Super Mario Bros 3's broken controls. When I run right and then push left, Mario skids to a halt like he has momentum or something. Such janky controls really ruin the game. Glad SMW removed that, proving that SMB3 has shit controls.

Scarf

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're remembering the game very, very wrong, or just played the beginning and trying to seem clever. The game only has ladders in the very beginning of it, and the game specifically has enemies either without obvious head points, having items that protect their heads, or even not humanoid enemies to prevent this, and even the ones that show their heads later in the game the Las Plagas burst out of heads so headshots become not always the optimal route since going for them makes more powerful enemies, or the final Las Plagas form literally their heads will jump off as those spider things and run around trickily. You even mention Regenerators and literally headshots do nothing to them.

Also the guys with wooden shields or helmets, dogs, chainsaw guys, claw monsters, invisible creatures or when there's a horde of them coming for you from different directions equipped with weapons.

Good luck trying to cheese those. Especially on Professional when the scaling of enemy difficulty is getting harder on you.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a good game. Do I think it's a great game? Personally, no. I am actually a bigger fan of Resident Evil 5 although I can admit the pacing of 4 is better. For the third-person shooter RE games 4 sits firmly in the middle while 5 is above it and 6 just didn't click with me on any level. The problem 4 has for me is that it doesn't quite scratch either the action itch or the survival horror itch as much as it should.

MrBoBo

Nov 6, 2017
I think you're remembering the game very, very wrong, or just played the beginning and trying to seem clever. The game only has ladders in the very beginning of it (and the game designs itself so you never have your back completely safe when you can use a ladder so you can't just stay there and do that with 0 effort since enemies will sneak up behind you via other methods), and the game specifically has enemies either without obvious head points, having items that protect their heads, or even not humanoid enemies to prevent this, and even the ones that show their heads later in the game the Las Plagas burst out of heads so headshots become not always the optimal route since going for them makes more powerful enemies, or the final Las Plagas form literally their heads will jump off as those spider things and run around trickily. You even mention Regenerators and literally headshots do nothing to them (because they have multiple plagas weak points and most often they're not in the head).

Nope. Replyed it three times.

Rendered the attempts to limit your resources useless. Enemies stop dead in front of you for easy cheesing and the morphed enemies i.e the ones you can't kick barely show up at all.

By the end, regardless of difficulty i'm so overloaded with ammo i'm having to drop stuff.

The mouse and keyboard controls, as well as the updated input makes it even easier to cheese through it.

Rev1 fixed alot of these problems. Changes knifing mechanics, dodge mechanic, tighter areas, no door kicking ect...

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Kicking a door staggers one ganado. It'll help you cheese a single standard ganado, I guess. If there are more behind the door they can grab or hit you out of the kicking animation. Don't try this on anything tougher, either, like ganados with parasites coming out of their heads or Dr. Salvador. They'll just kill you.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Replyed it three times.

Rendered the attempts to limit your resources useless. Enemies stop dead in front of you for easy cheesing and the morphed enemies i.e the ones you can't kick barely show up at all.

By the end, regardless of difficulty i'm so overloaded with ammo i'm having to drop stuff.

The mouse and keyboard controls, as well as the updated input makes it even easier to cheese through it.

Rev1 fixed alot of these problems. Changes knifing mechanics, dodge mechanic, tighter areas, no door kicking ect...

For the record I'm not arguing the game's difficulty, that's a whole other topic and seems what you're trying to focus on. But your arguments are using factually wrong information, which devalues any point you were trying to make. For your follow-up, yes the game does overload you with ammo and enemies usually will slow down when they're closer to you. I've played the game on Gamecube, Wii, and PC, PC aiming does make some things far easier than the game was originally designed for.

Even in this argument you're making some questionable arguments I could nitpick, like you say they "barely show up at all", but outside of the Village I can't think of a single five-room stretch of the game that doesn't throw at least one different kind of enemy at you. Doors also don't close immediately and you can't manually close them and they only will stun one enemy in a crowd, and there's big areas with no doors for example. And you say cheese bosses, but the bosses all have unique mechanics to them so there isn't a "one strategy fits all" unless you're not upgrading and focusing solely on rocket launchers (or remembering your runs with the ininfite ammo rocket launcher, which is a unlockable).

Feel as you will, but all I'll say is exaggerating your points is not going to do you any favors.

MrBoBo

Nov 6, 2017
Kicking a door staggers one ganado. It'll help you cheese a single standard ganado, I guess. If there are more behind the door they can grab or hit you out of the kicking animation. Don't try this on anything tougher, either, like ganados with parasites coming out of their heads or Dr. Salvador. They'll just kill you.

Never had this issue once. About 200 gametime on PC, completed across wii as well.
The door kicking almost rendered the bug sewer section nullified. They go into a constant loop that invisibly doesn't mean anything.

Most enemies are easily cheesed including bosses.

Scarf

Oct 27, 2017
My friend asked me why I was dying so much in The Evil Within. Then he said that he played the game on PC with keyboard and mouse. Well no shit I'm dying more when he uses a mouse for those headshots. Thats an easy mode and ruins the whole game.

Mabase

Oct 29, 2017
RE4 in my opinion is one of those perfect games, where every element of the game works beautifully with each other to create an incredibly tightly designed and polished experience. For years after its release, I just kept coming back despite so many incredible new games releasing, which is a testament to the lightning in a bottle Mikami and his team caught with RE4.

Funnily enough, and in obvious contrast to some in this thread here, I don't remember many truely critical voices of the game itself - even back in 2005, the strongest criticism I remember was that it departed in too strong a ways from the original RE blueprint.
In the years to follow, the inability of Capcom to reach its heights with 5, 6 and the spinoffs soured some of my friends on the franchise as a whole - but RE4's quality, until now, stands absolutely undisputed.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Never had this issue once. About 200 gametime on PC, completed across wii as well.
The door kicking almost rendered the bug sewer section nullified. They go into a constant loop that invisibly doesn't mean anything.

Most enemies are easily cheesed including bosses.

Happened to me last time I played Mercenaries for sure. I get a little pissed off whenever it happens. There's an old video of someone kicking open a door on Salvador and getting chainsawed before he can even raise the handgun, as well. I doubt I could find it now, but I remember this well because I used that clip in a Youtube Poop. Good times.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
RE4 is the only RE game I've managed to get through all the way and enjoy. Can't speak about 7 yet since I have it but haven't gotten to play through it yet.

TheDanger

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't hate it--it's a great game, easily one of the best games of its gen even! But it's a horror game and I'm a giant baby who hates horror so I don't ever like, want to actually play it.

Really? I always thought while I do absolutely adore the game that it's the least scary horror game I played.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My friend asked me why I was dying so much in The Evil Within. Then he said that he played the game on PC with keyboard and mouse. Well no shit I'm dying more when he uses a mouse for those headshots. Thats an easy mode and ruins the whole game.
A more accurate input method ruins a game? The entire reason I prefer PC aiming is because it's smoother and feels better.

Getting back on topic, I never got into RE4, I started playing it multiple times over the years but it never grabbed me so I decided it wasn't for me.

Scarf

Oct 27, 2017
A more accurate input method ruins a game? The entire reason I prefer PC aiming is because it's smoother and feels better.

Getting back on topic, I never got into RE4, I started playing it multiple times over the years but it never grabbed me so I decided it wasn't for me.

If the game is built around the gamepad controls then sure. I loved the Wiimote aiming on RE4 but the game felt way too easy so I prefer the gamepad aiming even if it's inferior to mouse or motion controls.

The Evil Within doesn't even let you choose auto-aim on harder difficulties so the game is designed so that the headshots are not easy to get.

Last edited:

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I replayed it on pc last year with m+k controls and didn't find it too good.
QTEs were annoying as hell at times.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
For a fast paced action game they're pretty bad. If it was still a slow adventure game, then sure.

It's not exactly a fast paced action game. Leon have limited movement but most enemies also take their sweet time to move, and the pacing between them feels really natural to develop tension, instead of an actual fast paced action game like a Devil May Cry where everyone gets in the action as fast as possible.

sharpforprez

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It made clear that some people aren't actually fans of Resident Evil, they just evangelize those first few games. One of the more annoying splits to happen to a fanbase.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Literally the only criticism I have is that it wasn't scary. The previous games all made my skin crawl. Just the music made me anxious. Re 4 is more of a theme park ride, thrilling but never really a feeling of imminent danger or dread. I get that people think re 2 and 3 aren't acary. *Shrug* they scared the crap out of me.

Except the chainsaw guys. They made me crap in my pants

Status
Not open for further replies.