• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I have not played a single minute of any Resident Evil game whatsoever, and it's a deliberate move to avoid them. Do I count? :)

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I respect you OP, but no.
Actually I would totally buy a switch version too after the three editions I already have

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
That question is just a setup for heartbreak :(
Nah, that game is incredible. It shouldn't even be named in the same breath as RE5 and especially 6. Everything about its design is near perfection. On a surface level it's an early third person shooter, sure, but the way combat scenarios play out is a symphony of puzzle combat. Every aspect of the controls to the enemy design and placement in a given space is genius. This shines through especially on replays at higher difficulties or with self imposed limitations, like sticking to handguns and the knife. It also had hidden difficulty scaling based on the players skill. The weapon purchasing and upgrade system gave exploration an even bigger importance regarding gameplay advantages. It's a long campaign with many diverse areas to traverse through and loop back to in the slight metroidvania sense that RE always had, which is always fun and makes the world more believable. The presentation and the cutscenes were mindblowing for the time. QTE's might be played out by now, but that's just the case because they worked so well in RE4 that developers were trying to ape the implementation like crazy. It was such a brilliantly surprising idea to make the cutscenes slightly interactive so that the player never was allowed to lose attention of what's going on on the screen while enhancing the thrill of the crazy action by actually having a feeling of making it happen. All of those factors and a perfectly campy story with tons of memorable scenarios, bosses and characters (Leon is the baddest of badasses... until the lady in red shows up that is) make for an atmosphere that will stick with me forever. This game undoubtedly belongs in the hall of fame of gaming along with the greatest of the greats.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017
I feel like I missed the boat on it, since I didn't play it when it was fresh and would go on to play games that did those mechanics and ideas better. So when I finally tried last year, just didn't click. I can see why it has the following, I just didn't get sucked in.

Maybe I'll finally sit down and give it another shot with the HD project.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man when RE4 came out it was the gaming equivalent of Bob Dylan using an electric guitar for the first time.

I love this analogy :)

Resident Evil 4 is my favorite game but i could see why some people wouldn't like it: Tank controls, action focus, the island bit is not great, drab colors. None of it affects my love for it but it is what it is.

On a side note, does anyone know how to insert a new quote while editing a post? I can't for the life of me figure it out :(

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
RE4 is a good tps. But a bad RE game. Even 0 or CV is better than 4,5,6 imo.
I understand 5 and 6, but I have never understood this argument for RE4. It is a Resident Evil game in every structural sense. It has the exploration and puzzle solving of the previous games, it has the inventory mangement and crafting, it has the same kind of atmosphere and horror elements, and it has the same ridiculous plot and tone that the series had turned into since Code Veronica. Literally the only difference with RE4 is the over-the-shoulder camera and the increased action.

If anything, Code Veronica has more claim to being less of a Resident Evil game than RE4 due to how drastically different the plot and tone is compared to the games before it and the fact that it changed the controls. Also, for the record, CV is easily the worst of the "classic" RE games and is probably the second worst main game in the whole series.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I know the admin/mod team are still forming the final rules for resetera, but I'd like to lobby for instabanning all the people saying they don't like RE4.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I know the admin/mod team are still forming the final rules for resetera, but I'd like to lobby for instabanning all the people saying they don't like RE4.
Motion seconded.

Resident Evil 4 is a masterpiece. Blew my fucking mind back then, you gotta replace it in the time period to get how modern that game was. And it still is a great game to this day.

And it's a Resident Evil game.

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
I don't dislike RE4, in fact I quite enjoyed it when it came out. Was new, fresh and totally surprising.

But it wasn't what I wanted from Resident Evil. This became worse with RE5&6, which I do dislike.

I like RE4 but I hate what it did to the franchise.

Also - to the suggestion that RE4 and previous REs weren't that different, they were. RE4 doesn't have anywhere near the same amount of emphasis on exploration, puzzles, or inventory management. And it certainly doesn't have the same maze-like level design.

Last edited:

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'll quote myself from a post I made in early 2016 at another forum

"Recently I finished RE 4 and honestly... It was an ok game. some parts were alright, others were hilariously bad. All in all an ok game and I shook my head several times wondering why this game is so beloved.

The story of the "old" games was never something really groundbreaking and was never THE most important part of the games.
But as much as I can accept a little clichee and goofiness in the plot, RE 4s Story was compete nonsense.
Just to name a few points..

Ashley, the presidents daughter gets kidnapped and injected, basically to extend the influence of the bad guys in their Masterplan of world domination.

The little guy (forgot his name) with his fancy castle and the giant walking robot in the form of himself.

The guy who sells you weapons makes no sense at all.

Yeah, let's do an escape sequence, where Ashley drives and operates a giant bulldozer with claws in front to destroy walls and doors and stuff.

Jeez...

Also, as much as I (and probably most players) welcomed the better gunplay, aiming and controls all together, the amount of shooting was insane for an Resident Evil game. Yeah, I know... They can alter the formula when they want to and it's ok to have a little more action here and there, but that was ridiculous.
Sometimes it felt more like an ammunition collectathon than a horror survival action game.

The levels were alright, I guess. The beginning in the village was awesome and some of the bosses were memorable, but especially some of the later parts felt a little lazy and seemed only to be there to give me a little arena to fight two waves of infected people in it.

The riddles and stuff were all in all maybe the laziest of the series. And that's saying something coming from games where you mostly put things you found in holes in the walls.
There were one or two funny or challenging ones but most of the time you saw something, your mind started to think about a solution only to remember yourself "oh right, it's RE4, so it's always the most simple one."

The only part I really liked besides the beginning was when you come to the inevitable laboratory area and these things with the parasites on their bodies attack you. That was fun, sometimes intense and one of the very few parts of the game that created some kind of atmosphere.

Honestly... I didn't hate the game and I get why it was so well received at the time of its release. It was a new approach to a series many felt to have reached a point where it had to develop.
But the way Capcom choose was just not the right one in my opinion.

It has better controls, is obviously better on the technical side and has better boss fights than older titles.
But besides this, the game doesn't come close being the best in the series.
I would place it below RE 1-3 and Code Veronica."

btw.. RE6 was complete trash from beginning to end.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Shitty tank controls
Shitty QTEs
Ugly environments compared to the prerendered backgrounds of the old games

I don't hate the game but it is definitely one of the most overrated games of all time

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone rightfully loves Resident Evil 4, but some people think it's not a real RE title.

This. I actually really enjoy RE4, but it's a shitty RE game, and so are 5 and 6. Seven really showed you could update the series to make it more modern without giving up the survival horror roots, and hopefully that's the direction they stay with in the future.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I don't dislike it, it's one of the best third person shooters of all time but unfortunately that's not a genre I'm particularly enamored with so that stops me from loving it too much.

I prefer RE1, REmake and 2 by a long way.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
While I don't dislike it, I actually think it's a pretty good game, I do resent it a little since I think the game was responsible for shifting the franchises focus from survival horror to 3rd person action game.

I don't see how it is RE4's fault that Capcom learned the wrong lessons from it.

They took the action route too far with the sequels and messed up a lot of things on the way because they thought that's what they have to do in order to keep up with other massive franchises of its time.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 4 is a "good" game, but it has a number of issues and it is a very clunky game with some truly awkward pacing. It's more cohesive than Resident Evil 6, but I'd rather play Resident Evil 6 any day of the week. I personally feel that The Evil Within 2 surpasses Resident Evil 4 in every way. Even Resident Evil: Revelations 2 does pretty much everything it does better. Also, Resident Evil 4's version of Leon is absolutely bizarre and doesn't fit with any of the other games.

Adding to this, Resident Evil 4 was basically the Resident Evil parody from Conker's Bad Fur Day, but with movement and camera controls that are archaic compared to a 2001 N64 title.
Conker_RE4.gif

That said, I eagerly await the final version of the Resident Evil 4 HD project. While I think RE4 isn't as "fun" as RE6, it is definitely worth playing. I'm not a huge fan, but I like the game for what it is.

Oct 26, 2017
I never cared for it much. I played through a lot of games I usually wouldn't on GCN but never even finished RE4. Wasn't really enjoying the moment to moment gameplay and was disappointed not to be fighting zombies.

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of like it, but I don't think it's as amazing as people make it out to be. The gameplay is sound, but the direction the story goes is too wacky and ridiculous for me, and it ruins the whole experience. The intro is cool. As soon as Salazar shows up I just can't though...

Can deal with some of the B-movie schlock in some of the other Resident Evil games, but the stuff in 4? No thanks. Haven't played 6 though, and that looks to have the same type of moronic B-movie ridiculousness as 4 (the whole tank motorcycle chase is enough to keep me away).

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Why would someone dislike the best game ever made??

Capcom give me a switch version pls. There is some money in my pocket that's waiting for you.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
I could not pass the first part of the game due how boring it was... I fell literally asleep.

So yes it was not what I expected after have so much fun with the first three games.

Said that aí don't hate it or anything like... I just found it boring to the point to not play it anymore and more to a better game.

I tried to play it on PS3 after a fire sale... wasted money :(

Last edited:

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel that it's a little overrated - people still react to it like it's 2004.

That said, it's a great game that looks horrendous and controls even worse.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
You fell asleep during the village intro? That tense as fuck perfect part of the game?
Yeap the first part... I wake up with the controller in hands after 10-20 minutes... tried more two times in different days until give up and start to play something more fun and enjoyable for me.

Nothing interesting happens in that cabana, there is no tension and the controls didn't help.

It was of most flat experience I ever had in a game... some friends said it get better after the boring first hour but I choose to move one... no regret at all.

I don't think it is a bad game... it is just boring for me and not like the first three gamês.

Oct 27, 2017
I really dislike it. Probably one of my least favorite games of all time, if not the least liked. I can understand why people love, it though. I'm not saying it's a bad game, I'm just saying that it's a game I would personally rather never play again. Nothing about it spoke to me: the combat, the enemies, the setting, the dialogue, the characters, the boss fights... Nothing.

I did play it for the first time only two years ago, so maybe my expectations for what an action-survival game were a bit different from what was expected at the time of the original release. Though I felt the same way about The Evil Within, so it's probably a Mikami thing for me.

For the record, I love RE1, 2, 3, 7, really enjoyed The Evil Within 2, and I think 6 is a good action game, though not a good RE game.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's my personal favorite game of all time.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Resident Evil 4 (2005) came at a time when Internet message boards weren't as prevalent, at least to my knowledge, as they are now. I know the previous forum existed around that time, but I wasn't around to witness people's reception of the game.

Nowadays, every critically acclaimed piece of media has a vocal minority that criticizes everything about such release. So that's why I'm curious. Is somebody around here who never liked Resident Evil 4, and if so, why is that?

I haven't read too many Resident Evil 4 threads, so I'm wondering what are people's perceptions about this masterpiece.

I like it. I just don't love it. I don't think it's a masterpiece, that it's the best game in the entire history of games (similarly, I don't think those things about OoT or FF VII either), and that's it's that easy to replay. I tried to do a second run, I dropped right after the village at the beginning.

But yes, good game, but not the best in its genre or its series, to me.

formatnone

Oct 31, 2017
Lithuania
i dislike resident evil 3,4,5,6, they just were too cheesy for me, and 4th had the addition of gameplay that was created around terrible controls.
edit: never played zero, or code veronica, and i just tried first episodes of both revelations (kinda meh).

PritheeBeCareful

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't say dislike, but my first attempt at playing it was on PS4 last year and honestly, I couldn't get into it. I've tried twice more since then and though I appreciate the game was probably excellent in it's time, I might have missed the opportunity to really get the best out of it. For me, even at 60fps, the whole thing feel very clunky and, while I understand the narrow FOV is a deliberate decision it just makes me motion sick. On a personal note, I'm not keen on the art direction either - too brown for my liking, but that's hardly a mark against the game.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Many fans hated it. IT jumped the shark, but to be honest it was already knee deep in that direction with CV and Outbreak File 2.

The game plays fine on everything after the Gamecube, but I think the Gamecube version looked and played best. Damage values were changed to make the game easier in later releases (starting with PS2). The control stick wasn't as finely tuned either, with a lot of generous oversteer added. On the GC, colors were more vivid and all of the shaders were present (the Wii colors are close but slightly washed out). When the game hit PS360, they turned the entire game a shade of ubiquitous brown/orange for some reason and removed most of the shaders. The motion blur that was left wasn't meant to be viewed on resolutions higher than 480p.

Last edited:

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I do not like it at all. It feels *terrible*. I try to get into it about once a year but I just can't

I've never tried the Wii version which I've heard is the best, but playing that game on a controller is trash

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
I went on a RE binge this summer and played RE4 for the first time in... 10 years? something like that.

I absolutely adored it back then, but now? After 10 years of new games pushing the medium further and having more years of experience on my shoulders and not being so easily impressed? Well, now I think it's the best third person action game of all time, and by no small margin. It's a masterclass of game design. I was shocked at how freaking good it was despite already thinking it was awesome back then.

Playing RE5 afterwards made me realize even further how tightly designed the game was, as just the simple adjustment made to enemies (from horde size to damage taken to speed) to account for co-op messed with how satisfying it was just to shoot things in the game. I'm sure it felt great in co-op, but for the solo players it definetly hurt the experience.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I came into this thread to write something similar. Pretty sure it's against the law to pretend you don't like RE4 anyway.

BumblebeeCody

Oct 28, 2017
Best game ever made. I own it on nearly every platform for every region, but I am also someone that's likes hearing how stuff I like is bad. I like seeing different perspectives but RE4 is just too godlike for anyone to not like it.

There are mechanical problems with the game such as the inventory management or having use key items can be a bit slow.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
I played the game for the first time on the 360 and adored it. I see people say it has aged poorly or controls badly now and I just don't get it. I played games inspired by RE4 before I actually played RE4 and I still thought it was incredible, and have since replayed it a bunch of times since the combat is so satisfying.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
RE4 once on GC and one more time on Wii. Both times were really fun but I don't have a desire to replay it any time soon.
It's one of the few games my girl has watched the whole way through cuz she really liked the atmosphere, so it's got that going for it. ;)

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm from Spain. The game is supposed to be set in Spain. Yet the characters speak like Mexican people and the town where you start doesn't resemble your typical northern Spanish town at all.

The game may as well be incredible, but I can play it for more than 15 minutes.

PritheeBeCareful

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm from Spain. The game is supposed to be set in Spain. Yet the characters speak like Mexican people and the town where you start doesn't resemble your typical northern Spanish town at all.

The game may as well be incredible, but I can play it for more than 15 minutes.

As a European, I picked up on this immediately as well - typical issue of American localisation.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
It's a good game, but a bit outdated now. 5 and 6 are a lot more fun, especially in co-op.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Only people disliking it are the "this game killed the series and turned it into an action game :((( " crowd.

It's a masterpiece and to 10 of all time material.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
RE4 is my favourite Wii game. It's incredible.

RE4 PS4 is unplayable garbage though, much to my disappointment. And that's down to the fiddly controls.

I think it was a necessary direction for the series to take, although IMO 5 took the formula and made it much less interesting.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
I've softened up on it in the years since its release, but I still am not terribly fond of it. I wouldn't say I hate it, but I do think it's far and away the weakest mainline Resident Evil, and veered the series off in a direction it really shouldn't have gone, despite my generally positive positions on RE5 and RE6, both of which were saved greatly by not being straight attempts at aping RE4.

I don't really care if anyone likes it, but I consider it a forgettable footnote in both the series and the horror genre. I'm constantly amazed, however, at the continuing love it garners. I would have thought the cracks were even more apparent given time and the massive improvements the games it inspired have done to fix everything RE4 failed at.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I didn't like it. Characters are pretty stereotype and not fleshed out. Controls aren't smooth, the escorting/rescue part is dreadful and quick time events are awful. The shooting isn't really fun either -- too static.

Status
Not open for further replies.