• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Just dealt with lice. Being a 30-something that lives alone made it an expensive problem to solve, as it requires someone to remove every nit and every bug, so I had to hire a professional. If it's your kid you should be able to take care of it yourself, but lice are largely resistant to over the counter and prescription medicines, only surefire way to remove those bastards is with a special metal comb designed for lice removal and lots of time and patience. Manually remove every bug and every nit and keep checking for a couple weeks to be sure.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go to your local excruciatingly pun named "salon " like "lice knowing you" etc

one of the craziest things about becoming a parent in the USA is discovering lice is not an exclusively Victorian Orphanage situation. Schools are a hotbed and there's probably a vaxxer parent sending the same poor kid back to spread it after futilely trying some useless organic Wiccan formula.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I had lice like once or twice throughout kindergarden / elementary school.

I do recall my mom using one of these fuckers
Lucky-Lice-Comb-(Lc14).jpg

and some special shampoo.
And that was about it.

But i was a kid, so maybe i was blissfully ignorant of her burning everything we possessed with a flamethrower when i was at school.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
My kids picked it up at school a few times. Use the ridx yeah but then wash literally everything that can be washed in super hot water and bag up everything else.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I had lice like once or twice throughout kindergarden / elementary school.

I do recall my mom using one of these fuckers
Lucky-Lice-Comb-(Lc14).jpg

and some special shampoo.
And that was about it.

But i was a kid, so maybe i was blissfully ignorant of her burning everything we possessed with a flamethrower when i was at school.

Same. My sister is 10 years younger than me so we had a second phase of it when she went to kindergarden. It was my job to go through my moms hair that time haha.

Oct 27, 2017
Hey OP, just been dealing with fucking lice over the last couple of months, my 7 year old daughter picked them up from school in her lovely long hair. We've tried a number of treatments so I feel fairly qualified;

Treatment 1 - No chemicals - FAIL.

My wife wanted to try doing it the no chemicals route first. I suggested we shave her head but she said nah m8. So we got one of those kits with varying sizes combs, the idea being you;
- Wash the hair
- Heavily cover in conditioner and leave that in so the lice can't move around
- Have a combing session using the various combs and scrape out the lice.

It works, as in it takes lice out. The point then is once you think you've got them all you wash out the hair then do the whole thing again 3 days later to catch the ones that have newly hatched and then again 3 days after that to get any remaining eggs. Lice free? Nope;
- It's almost impossible to catch all the lice if the hair is long. You always miss a couple no matter how careful you are.
- It gets quite painful for the kid dragging a fine tooth comb through their heads for an hour.

Treatment 2 - Hedrin - Success (mostly)

Once Liquid Gel 250ml

Hedrin Once Liquid Gel kills head lice and their eggs. It is not a chemical poison but works by physically smothering the lice. It also contains Penetrol which helps the product to penetrate louse eggs in order to kill them. Hedrin Once Liquid Gel has been shown to work with only one application...

You slop this all over dry hair. Then you have to leave it in for 8 hours;
- It's difficult to apply and get it down to the scalp and all the areas the little fuckers like to live.
- Doesn't kill the eggs.
- You have to leave it in for 8 hours so that's overnight or a day at home.
- Works though, you can see the lice dying and falling off the head sometimes. After 8 hours you wash it out and then do it again a week later to catch any that hatched.

So the Hedrin was a pain to do, better than combing but still time and effort - but it did work, she was lice free for a few weeks.

And then she picked them up again, raaaaaaaaaage. Fucking lice man, school of disease.

So my wife found something else to try, Treatment 3 - Nitwits - Success!
www.stressnomore.co.uk

NitWits All-in-One Head Lice Treatment with Comb

Head lice treatment that kills lice and their eggs in one goFast acting formula- no need for hours of combingKid friendly scentEasy to apply spray bottleLeaves hair feeling fresh and looking shiny

Spray it on, leave it for 20 minutes, wash out. Job done. It's cheap, quick, easy and worked first time.

So yeah, use the Nitwits stuff. It's available everywhere, doesn't have to be the links I've used.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017

one of the craziest things about becoming a parent in the USA is discovering lice is not an exclusively Victorian Orphanage situation. Schools are a hotbed and there's probably a vaxxer parent sending the same poor kid back to spread it after futilely trying some useless organic Wiccan formula.

I've four girls going through primary and secondary school here in the north of Scotland - primary schools are a lice paradise. Once one kid has them, they spread like crazy, then it takes a week or more of using topical treatments and combing to nuke them, only to have one sprog's parent not bother to do the same and then they've all got them again.

We can even get lice treatments on the minor ailments scheme, so it's essentially free to treat them, but we can still go months treating and re-treating because of a single child in their classes.

Oct 25, 2017
By "they" do you mean the lice or their eggs? The nix will kill both but the eggs (the white things) will remain unless you scrape them off. You can tell if they're new if they're closer to the scalp. Also, how long did you wait before doing a second treatment? Doing a second treatment in 1-2 weeks is recommended to kill any lice that may have hatched from live eggs.

Try Nyda or a product containing dimethicone. Unlike products containing insecticide, nyda suffocated the bastards and won't lead to resistance.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I grew up in Edinburgh and
I've four girls going through primary and secondary school here in the north of Scotland - primary schools are a lice paradise. Once one kid has them, they spread like crazy, then it takes a week or more of using topical treatments and combing to nuke them, only to have one sprog's parent not bother to do the same and then they've all got them again.

We can even get lice treatments on the minor ailments scheme, so it's essentially free to treat them, but we can still go months treating and re-treating because of a single child in their classes.

I went to school in Edinburgh in the 70s and 80s and (as you know) we called them "nits" but at least in my school they were more rumor and legend than the situation you describe- which is similar to Seattle where I am now.

I know the climate is a huge factor and seattle is very temperate. Edinburgh (and Scotland have seen noteworthy rises over the last few decades and freezing isdeath to lice (actually one of the cleanup methods for bedding apparently- wash on sterilization cycle, dry thoroughly on hot and then freeze for a day to be absolutely sure) so I've never been sure if Balgreen Primary school was a unicorn isolated miracle or if climate was a factor.

But because it's so common in seattle there's none of the shame or poverty implications I associated it with in childhood and tons of lice treatment places. My kid's never contracted it, touch wood but when we go to summer camp they have a no lice policy and check before boarding the bus so a lot of parents- us included - take out the insurance policy of a professional check/ treatment the day before. Because finding out your kid ISN'T at camp for a week can really throw a surprise wrench* in your work and childcare plans.

they not only know what they're doing but they're gentler and don't mistake every particle in the house for a louse or nit.

And I wasn't kidding earlier- often the school infestations are literally coming from the same families multiple times- sometimes poverty or neglect but more and more frequently it's been vaxxer or delusional hippies who think everything can be treated with herbs.

* translator's note: wrench means Spanner in Scottish

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
I went to school in Edinburgh in the 70s and 80s and (as you know) we called them "nits" but at least in my school they were more rumor and legend than the situation you describe- which is similar to Seattle where I am now.

I know the climate is a huge factor and seattle is very temperate. Edinburgh (and Scotland have seen noteworthy rises over the last few decades and freezing isdeath to lice (actually one of the cleanup methods for bedding apparently- wash on sterilization cycle, dry thoroughly on hot and then freeze for a day to be absolutely sure) so I've never been sure if Balgreen Primary school was a unicorn isolated miracle or if climate was a factor.

But because it's so common in seattle there's none of the shame or poverty implications I associated it with in childhood and tons of lice treatment places. My kid's never contracted it, touch wood but when we go to summer camp they have a no lice policy and check before boarding the bus so a lot of parents- us included - take out the insurance policy of a professional check/ treatment the day before. Because finding out your kid ISN'T at camp for a week can really throw a surprise wrench* in your work and childcare plans.

they not only know what they're doing but they're gentler and don't mistake every particle in the house for a louse or nit.

And I wasn't kidding earlier- often the school infestations are literally coming from the same families multiple times- sometimes poverty or neglect but more and more frequently it's been vaxxer or delusional hippies who think everything can be treated with herbs.

* translator's note: wrench means Spanner in Scottish

School in the '80s and '90s on Skye here, and pretty much the same experience as you - nits weren't widespread in the schools I attended, and there were still the same kind of "poor, dirty family" stereotypes floating around. I'm not sure whether class sizes played a factor - my class going through primary was under 20, probably closer to a dozen from memory, which is significantly smaller than the 30 kids to a class my girls are experiencing - or whether the Skye midges were just that fucking tough that nits never got a foothold :-)

We now get "please check your bloody kids" notices from the school in every newsletter, with reminders about the treatments available, but there isn't any kind of policy for checking the kids at school (yet). Definitely the same kids who keep on re-infesting the classes though, but knowing the families involved it rarely seems to be poverty (the poorest families I know in the school are the most scrupulous about keeping their kids nit-free) and more about lack of care.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey OP, just been dealing with fucking lice over the last couple of months, my 7 year old daughter picked them up from school in her lovely long hair. We've tried a number of treatments so I feel fairly qualified;

Treatment 1 - No chemicals - FAIL.

My wife wanted to try doing it the no chemicals route first. I suggested we shave her head but she said nah m8. So we got one of those kits with varying sizes combs, the idea being you;
- Wash the hair
- Heavily cover in conditioner and leave that in so the lice can't move around
- Have a combing session using the various combs and scrape out the lice.

It works, as in it takes lice out. The point then is once you think you've got them all you wash out the hair then do the whole thing again 3 days later to catch the ones that have newly hatched and then again 3 days after that to get any remaining eggs. Lice free? Nope;
- It's almost impossible to catch all the lice if the hair is long. You always miss a couple no matter how careful you are.
- It gets quite painful for the kid dragging a fine tooth comb through their heads for an hour.

Treatment 2 - Hedrin - Success (mostly)

Once Liquid Gel 250ml

Hedrin Once Liquid Gel kills head lice and their eggs. It is not a chemical poison but works by physically smothering the lice. It also contains Penetrol which helps the product to penetrate louse eggs in order to kill them. Hedrin Once Liquid Gel has been shown to work with only one application...

You slop this all over dry hair. Then you have to leave it in for 8 hours;
- It's difficult to apply and get it down to the scalp and all the areas the little fuckers like to live.
- Doesn't kill the eggs.
- You have to leave it in for 8 hours so that's overnight or a day at home.
- Works though, you can see the lice dying and falling off the head sometimes. After 8 hours you wash it out and then do it again a week later to catch any that hatched.

So the Hedrin was a pain to do, better than combing but still time and effort - but it did work, she was lice free for a few weeks.

And then she picked them up again, raaaaaaaaaage. Fucking lice man, school of disease.

So my wife found something else to try, Treatment 3 - Nitwits - Success!
www.stressnomore.co.uk

NitWits All-in-One Head Lice Treatment with Comb

Head lice treatment that kills lice and their eggs in one goFast acting formula- no need for hours of combingKid friendly scentEasy to apply spray bottleLeaves hair feeling fresh and looking shiny

Spray it on, leave it for 20 minutes, wash out. Job done. It's cheap, quick, easy and worked first time.

So yeah, use the Nitwits stuff. It's available everywhere, doesn't have to be the links I've used.

Thanks for all the replies! This one pretty much mirrors us. So far have tried two things unsuccessfully. Being in the US, I'm not sure I have that nitwits one readily available, but going to try to find it. Thanks!

Oct 27, 2017

Yep, it's Lice Lifters by us. The only thing that worked for us

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is what I did for my three week infestation. They made a house call and knocked it out in one session. Nothing more than conditioner and manually removing each and every bug and nit.

There was some hesitancy for that house call since I'm a single dude that isn't around kids. To this day I have no idea how I got these buggy bastards. Lol

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I just remember getting lice once as a kid. My mom bought some kind of nasty smelling shampoo which stayed on my head for 30 minutes. That seemed to do the trick, but I had a very mild case while my brother had the freakin' mother load.

Fortunately my daughter hasn't been infected yet.

Nov 23, 2017
Poverty wouldn't matter much in this case. Lice don't like dirty/oily hair. Usually the black kids never got it and it was a white kid problem because they tend to use more oils on their hair.

I had lice off and on for a few years in grade school. First it came from my sister and then I picked it up and passed it around. I always had long hair too.

First things first, clean out her bedroom. Pillows, stuffed animals, blankets, and the like. Wash everything you can, and store what you can't outside the bedroom like in a garage away from people. Put clean bedding on, including a clean mattress pad.

The last time I ever had lice, my aunt saw a segment on the news to use vasoline. It's nasty and oily and annoying as hell. I spent a week going to school with it in because dawn dish soap did not get it out. But we later found out that Simple Green is amazing stuff and worked like a charm. Do it on the weekend and have her sleep with a shower cap on and maybe a few towels too. Once you treat it, use natural oils like coconut oil that you can get at a beauty shop. That'll keep them fron coming back. Use a lice comb for about a week or two to make sure they're gone for good.

And avoid frequent hair washing once every week or two is fine for a kid. Keep it bushed and pulled back in a braid or other close to the head hair do's.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I never seen anyone with lice at my schools, no family members had it either (Mississippi, schools here are still kind of segregated). I don't know why we don't seem to get them. Reading post 26, I don't think that can be it (oils used in hair), I didn't use that much especially being a boy, could it be the thickness of the hair vs thin hair?

Looked it up, we can get it. Seems rare?
www.youtube.com

Can NATURAL HAIR get HEAD LICE?

It’s well known that head louse is more common in straight hair, so you may be under the belief that afro hair can’t get them. Well... I have bad news for yo...

Last edited:

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
We've had it a couple of times. It sucks, and my adrenaline surges any time the school sends home one of those goddamn 'someone in your child's class has contracted lice' letters.

Only thing that worked was the conditioner and hardcore comb routine.

2caxxls.jpg

We tried a couple of chemicals (Nyda and something else) and they didn't do much of anything. Killed some lice, left some, did nothing for the eggs.

The worst part is that you never really know when it's over, as any treatment involves constant follow-ups to make sure you get the newly hatched lice before they mature to the point where they lay more eggs. It's infuriating.

I also gather that they do not survive off-head for as long as I initially thought, so you don't have to go around and wash everything. Just keep your hair up, throw stuffies into a bag and put them in a shed for a few days, etc.

But either way, lice can eat shit and die. I hate them.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the off the shelf stuff didn't work for us. We got the comb above, and made a tea oil spray with some vodka (true story), and we sprayed it in our kid's hair for two months once a week. I think we're good now, until the next infestation. D:

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Yeah the off the shelf stuff didn't work for us. We got the comb above, and made a tea oil spray with some vodka (true story), and we sprayed it in our kid's hair for two months once a week. I think we're good now, until the next infestation. D:

We used a blend of tea tree oil as well - it's supposed to help prevent lice, too. Not sure if that's true but it's not overly expensive and once you have to do the combing routine you'll do anything to stop it and keep it away.