• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm thinking of living out of my car. I left my wife. I'm currently in school and she has just graduated. We also have a son together. The plan was to live with each other for the next 2 years until we got our lives together. We were fighting and she was talking to her parents about it. They are giving her 2 years worth of my half of the rent so I can leave. So I'm out com August.

This leaves me with no place and no job in the middle of a pandemic. Living out of my car is my best option.

Does anybody have experience with this? What are some best practices. I'm really concerned about the heat and the cold while trying to sleep. As well I know gym membership is a must for showers but everything is closed due to a pandemic lol.

Any advice?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
There's no way you can still live at the house? This is probably the worst time to live in a car.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a rough deal.

My uncle lived out of his car for a while and rented a storage cubicle for things that were valuable or wouldn't fit in the car, might be something to look into.

And try to look presentable and on the middle class side of things for when the police come a knocking.

OP
OP
MrNewVegas

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
That's a rough deal.

My uncle lived out of his car for a while and rented a storage cubicle for things that were valuable or wouldn't fit in the car, might be something to look into.

And try to look presentable and on the middle class side of things for when the police come a knocking.
Yeah it's unfortunate but it is what it is. I'm hoping to do it for 2 years while I finish school.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
yeah research the laws about this. I used to just sleep in my car and got harassed by enough police to know some places have a problem with that.

you might at least upgrade to van-life, for the extra space and lets you look less obvious.

OP
OP
MrNewVegas

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
yeah research the laws about this. I used to just sleep in my car and got harassed by enough police to know some places have a problem with that.

you might at least upgrade to van-life, for the extra space and lets you look less obvious.
The plan is to roll to Walmart's to sleep. I'm currently in a lease with my current car so it's probably not financially viable for me to move to a van.

I have a 2018 Chevy Cruze.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
The plan is to roll to Walmart's to sleep. I'm currently in a lease with my current car so it's probably not financially viable for me to move to a van.

I have a 2018 Chevy Cruze.
yeah depending on your location, the fog on the windows late in the night tells police they have an easy citation to write and get off their quota. With a van you can sleep in the back, as apparently many often do.

also, yeah. you gotta change your situation so your situation will at least be less chancy. You don't need to be in a lease of a 2018 chevy cruze at the moment. But you do need the space of a big boxy windowless EconoVan.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I had a neighbor who lived out of his SUV after separating from his spouse. He died a few months later from a blood clot.

Get that van, OP.

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Gyms should be opening up again pretty soon here, but until then you can shower at truck stops. Some beaches have showers, too. Or use wet wipes if all else fails.

You'll probably be ok sleeping at Walmart, but it definitely has to be a 24 hr one. Some don't allow it because there is a city ordinance banning sleeping in vehicles, though. If you park in a residential area to sleep, just don't park directly in front of anyone's house. Arrive late and leave early and don't park in the same place every night. Find a handful of good spots and rotate. If you get harassed by police, just be polite and ask them if they have any ideas for where it would be ok to sleep.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Make sure the wallmart you stay at is 24 hours and doesn't have parking security. Always change it up and don't park in the same spot.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
My coworker used to live in a van in our parking lot. He had the windows taped with blankets and god knows what else in there. This was in Colorado too. Cold at night

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
I personally haven't but a friend lived out of the back of his truck with a camper shell for a while. If possible I'd recommend getting something like that so you can stretch out while sleeping. At least in school you should have access to places to shower and clean. Assuming the campus is open next year.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
For a stint while at university. I worked overnights, so I was able to "sleep" at work during the evening and crash for a few hours in the day if I was sleepy either in my car in the parking lot or somewhere on campus.

The best part of working overnight was it let me feel like I "had a place". My place just happened to be an abandoned mall. But overall this time of my life was hell and no way could I do this ever again.

i showered at the university gym....

Last edited:

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I have a Ford Bronco and living in the back of it is one of my contingency plans. There's tons of room in the back of that thing.

I have slept in my car overnight, usually while traveling.

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like this ship has sailed, but the stark reality of what your going to be facing puts whatever it was you were fighting about (barring abuse, of course) in to perspective.

Magneton

Banned
Jul 31, 2018
There's a pretty robust YouTube scene of car/van-dwellers who showcase their setups, share tips, etc.

Deleted member 4852

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I realize its awhile off but if the schools open for the fall semester your college may let you use their showers at no charge and may even subsidize/provide lunch. check in with them. they have a lot of resources.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, but one time I lost my apartment on less than a day's notice and lived in a flophouse for a while.
The apartment was an amazing deal, but part of the reason it was an amazing deal is that there was no lease.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Walmart parking lots are explicitly safe places where you can sleep. They encourage people to stay in their parking lots overnight. They won't let you use electricity or anything, but they will let you sleep in your car in a walmart parking lot.

I'm pretty sure home Depot lets you do this as well.

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably the worst time to be doing this OP. I would suggest seeing if you could couchsurf and hit up some friends but due to Covid-19 that may be practically impossible.

A Chevy Cruze doesn't offer much in the way of space for you to even do this comfortably either.

No way of amending the arrangement and buying yourself a little more time so you can figure out a more practical situation?

OP
OP
MrNewVegas

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Is crashing at your parents not an option? No friends that need a roommate? Couchsurfing? Living out of a leased compact car may be doable, but it's going to suck.
I'm to embarrassed to impose myself on anybody.

This is probably the worst time to be doing this OP. I would suggest seeing if you could couchsurf and hit up some friends but due to Covid-19 that's practically impossible.

A Chevy Cruze doesn't offer much in the way of space for you to even do this comfortably either.

No way of amending the arrangement and buying yourself a little more time so you can figure out a more practical situation?
Nope nothing I can do.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
So this is a money issue? I really think you need to swallow your pride and try to work out a living arrangement with your wife or find a family member. At the best of times , it would be tough to live out of a car. This is the worst of times.

Apr 25, 2020
This is my worst nightmare pretty much. Being homeless, in a car or elsewhere with nobody left on the Earth who cares.

OP
OP
MrNewVegas

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
So this is a money issue? I really think you need to swallow your pride and try to work out a living arrangement with your wife or find a family member. At the best of times , it would be tough to live out of a car. This is the worst of times.
Not a money issue. Us living separate was a money issue because the current house we rent was to expensive for either of us alone. Her parents will pay my half so I can GTFO.

The issue is I have no job. I'd run out of money fast and I can't apply to live somewhere without a job.

Atleast it'll make me tough lol

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
I have to think leasing a 2018 vehicle isn't the best use of funds. Perhaps look for a good deal on an older Bronco/SUV.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a huge community on reddit called /r/vandwellers that would likely to be able to help you. I think the lifestyle is super interesting for those that choose to make it, but if you have other options please explore them first.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
From that op my understanding is that you were able to pay half of rent already. Try to get a new place, get a room mate, rent a room, crash at some relatives, etc.

Please don't subconsciously punish yourself anymore. Don't live on a car if you can avoid it.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
That's a rough deal.

A guy on YouTube lived in a storage unit for a while

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
You are also in Toronto. Winters there are very rough. You better get a more suitable vehicle or else it's going to suck. It will suck even more when it gets cold.

BannerThief

Apr 10, 2019
Seattle
I lived out of my car for a brief period of time.

You do NOT want to live out of your car. I don't care how pathetic you feel, I don't care if you don't want to be a burden, you go to every friend you have and get one of them to let you crash on their couch until you get a job and your financial feet under you. Yeah, it will be awkward. Yeah, you'll feel like shit. But I am telling you, get over yourself. Living out of a car fucking sucks shit.

At least you have a couple months' notice. I had to leave a place with two days' notice, busted my ass, and found a place within weeks, along with a job. The job fucking sucked. The place was shitty. Didn't matter, because it beat living in the Seattle cold during the goddamn winter.

Good luck, man. Hope for the best for you.

Oct 25, 2017
the ocean
I would try to avoid living in a car at all costs. Fortunately you have some time to maybe find a cheap room for rent. Seems like a renter's market these days anyway.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
If you're attending a 4 year uni, make sure you look into the resources and programs offered at your school. My uni helps students who are homeless.

Good luck and take care.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Can you get a van? I have a friend that is currently doing a conversion of a mini-van that is planning to live in for the next couple of years or more. It's actually quite common and there are a lot of videos and guides on the internet from people who live that way.