• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you getting more and more swayed into getting an Xbox Series X/S before a PS5?

• Yes, Micosoft is building a more and more convincing case

• No, I don't believe that Microsoft has done enough to convince me

• I have no plans on getting either console

Results are only viewable after voting.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Just based on the feature set of the console itself, I did consider it when I could not get a pre-order in day one. Its still tempting but I just have little interest in their game offerings. Halo, Gears, and Forza have not convinced me in the last gens and them going back to those wells every time will continue to not compel me to purchase one.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
PC is still my primary and MS made my choice for me by actually releasing their games there so no.

Will probably not get a PS5 until like year 2 or 3 either as well.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft definitely making all the right moves, but as a PC gamer, PC + PS5 is the way to go for me.

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why is this being positioned as a complete shock? Lots of people including myself are going to get both systems and there's probably going to be a lot of new Xbox owners seeing how attractive Gamepass is becoming and the Series S cost of entry.

PS5 and Series X day 1 for me.

Jan 16, 2019
I'm getting both. But I'm going Series X first, Series X and gamepass
Just makes sense, I'm prepaid through 2023. It'll save me so much money.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I was an early adopter of the both the OG Xbox and 360, but MS didn't convince me to get a One until the late stages of this generation. And even then I bought in at the lowest possible point with a SAD.

Next-Gen I'm all in from Day 1, and already have GP locked down through most of 2023. From all the acquisitions and positioning themselves as an RPG fan's dream console, to undeniably killer deals on the already killer value proposition that is Game Pass, incredible legacy support that puts Sony & Nintendo to shame – I feel genuinely excited about Xbox in a way I haven't in a decade or more. Series X was must have.

None of that changes my feelings towards Playstation, who are coming off an all-time great generation with no signs whatsoever of slowing down or missing a beat looking at the way PS5's Year 1 line-up is coming together. I need their 1st party (and VR) in my life. Plus the bulk of my console library is there . Easy Day 1 purchase as well.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
If i didn't have a huge investment on PS4 gen, yes.

But to be honest I have an xbox one x that I bought used. I got gamepass due to alienware promotion. I stacked all my free codes and converted that for $1. Sup. So I have a good reason to have an xbox around. Chances ill get a XSX as I will likely sell the x1x or trade it in.

PS is still my main console and paying for games doesn't bother me. I mean people are a bit silly if they want to shit on what we've been doing for the last 40 years. The hot takes of "you still pay for games? Lol" is obnoxious since there are games outside gamepass on xbox too. You still have to buy software. I also understand prices for games haven't increased for like 20 years. Paying $10 more doesn't bother me. I have an issue however when some odd game is still 70 like that Playstation Battle all stars car combat game. Very questionable choice but i vote with my wallet and won't buy it unless they have some insane blowout gameplay reveal.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I mean I am buying both and I am still more exciting for the PS5 at the moment because of Demon's Souls and Ratchet and Clank, what I am absolutely surprised by though is that I am for the first time going to use my Xbox as my primary console. I have had every Xbox but they have always been companion consoles, even my Pro was used before my X1X. This time though, nah, Sony keeps doing stupid shit and I am done with it.

JudgeN

Oct 25, 2017
Already have a pc so xbox out of the question. Did I miss were microsoft anounced series x games to be $60? I was under the assumption all next gen games were 70 not just Sony.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I think I have a decent gaming PC, so I do not see a point in getting the Series X when I already have GamePass on PC. Now, GamePass is an excellent service I recommend it to everyone.

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
With the acquisition of Bethesda, I'll buy a Xbox.

Three years from now.

There's nothing that makes me want to buy one. It has an abysmal launch line-up and no exclusive games coming out that make me go 'Shit, I have to buy a Xbox of those for that one!' like Final Fantasy XVI or Demon's Souls. Once the next Elder Scrolls or Fallout are shown, that's when I'll start saving up for a Xbox.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS5 and game prices in Canada are too much for me right now. The XSX is cheaper by a bit and continuing my gamepass subscription makes it an easy choice for my multiplat games now.

The exclusives on PS5 look awesome but I can wait until an exclusive is bundled in until I make the jump. I'll be the only one in my Destiny 2 clan playing on a PS4 for a while though, while everyone else is on a PS5. 😂

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
It will be years before Sony has the next installments of their world class franchises. I already played Demons Souls and I don't care how pretty it looks now. Game pass is a steal, and there are so many games that I want to revisit that I'm going to be able to play because of their BC support.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely getting an XSX, but after a PS5. The Xbox launch window is disappointing and devoid of next gen games in my opinion. PS5 at least I could get Miles and Demon Souls. Hopefully 2021 is a strong year for XSX.

strikeselect

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, Sony has earned too much goodwill from me during the PS4 era. I'm definitely going PS5.

I think MS is making the right moves but they still don't have the goods. Once I see proof (not promises) I'll pick up a Series X as a secondary (maybe).

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Regardless of if you want one at launch or not I don't see how you can go the whole gen without playing on some form of the Xbox platform (pc, cloud, X, S) unless you genuinely don't have time to play games on even one system.

I refuse to believe that with 23 studios (most well regarded already) and gamepass and third parties likely to perform better that you can't find a game to enjoy on the system (an Xbox platform). Anyone who says Microsoft has no games in a year or so is clearly just a fanboy.

They arguably have the most diverse game lineup of any publisher. There's like 1 or 2 genres they don't actually make themselves and nobody only plays 1 or 2 genres.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
They've definitely done enough to convince me, but I'm going to try and hold off for a couple of years. By then, the first party lineup should be great and my gaming laptop might start to not handle games as well as it is now.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'm buying both. I haven't been able to secure a pre-order for PS5 so that's the only reason I'll most likely end up with Xbox before PlayStation.

strikeselect

Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of if you want one at launch or not I don't see how you can go the whole gen without playing on some form of the Xbox platform (pc, cloud, X, S) unless you genuinely don't have time to play games on even one system.

I refuse to believe that with 23 studios (most well regarded already) and gamepass and third parties likely to perform better that you can't find a game to enjoy on the system (an Xbox platform). Anyone who says Microsoft has no games in a year or so is clearly just a fanboy.

They arguably have the most diverse game lineup of any publisher. There's like 1 or 2 genres they don't actually make themselves and nobody only plays 1 or 2 genres.

There are still way too many unknowns about Microsoft's future output. We don't definitively know that these games will match Sony's GOTY heavy hitters. If Halo Infinite is any indication we need to tread very carefully before crowning MS as some sort of first party powerhouse before they've even earned it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
MS has also been pretty transparent that they're not done buying studios. The Microsoft Game Studios umbrella today will absolutely be bigger two, three, four years from now.

Grimmi

Oct 28, 2017
I bought new gaming PC less than a year ago, so I see no need in an XBox. Also, it seems to me, that I am the werido for not liking the Gamepass. When I got my new PC I also got a few month of Gamepass with my GPU (I think) and tried it out heavily. However I figured out, that nearly none of the games are for me, so I did not want to pay for a service, that I rarely use.
If there is ever a Gamepass exclusive game, that I really want to play, I will consider getting one for a month or so. But it just does not seem to be a big of a deal for me.

On the other hand, I played a hell of a lot of PS4 exclusives over the past few years, in addition to some PC multiplayer games. So pre-ordering PS5 was a no-brainer for me.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, yes. I have both PS5 and XSX on pre-order but I've been thinking all day that it's overkill. I'm mainly hyped for Demon's Souls and there is nothing in the horizon sans GoW Ragnarok on next year that I'm interested in for the PS5. Yes, there isn't much coming to the XSX either but at least I'll have gamepass.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I was never surprised about getting an XSX. They would have had to really have done some kind of weird 180 or redefinition of what they were doing for me to question that. I'm a big fan of what they're doing now, and to be honest, I'm the most excited to just experience current-gen content on the new console, either through brute force power gains or more targeted patches. I'm still getting a PS5 as well, but both systems serve very different needs/interests for me. I should also say that I have a PC as well with a 2070S, but there are offerings via Game Pass on the console side that aren't on PCGP, so those complement each other nicely IMO.

What's perhaps the most surprising to me is that the Switch, which was my go-to console for like 2.5 years, has kinda taken a back seat to everything. I'm just not excited about it at all right now, so I hope the rumors of a more powerful Switch (which hopefully has a little bigger screen and better Joy-Cons) comes to fruition next year.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
There are still way too many unknowns about Microsoft's future output. We don't definitively know that these games will match Sony's GOTY heavy hitters. If Halo Infinite is any indication we need to tread very carefully before crowning MS as some sort first party powerhouse before they've even earned it.
They have put out multiple 90 meta games, many more 80 metas, and now own Zenimax. They are absolutely a first party powerhouse. Are they Sony or Nintendo all of sudden, absolutely not but they are a powerhouse now.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I got 2 PS5's to pay for plus game's for me and my kid. I'll eventually have all the systems, but as of now I can't think of a single reason to get a series x. There's no way in hell im missing out on Demons Souls this year.

So PS5/PC for now.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I'll get a Series X first but that's only because I can't find a PS5 to preorder. I would like to have both.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
Yeah, all my closer friends, who have always been Playstation and Nintendo fans, are leaning their interest toward Xbox Series X over PS5 for this next generation of consoles, and I'm not surprised at all; cause I'm too.

We all agree Microsoft is weaker in term of exclusives at the moment, especially at launch, but the hardware options they've come up with (The most powerful console), the deals & huge saving factors offered by the Gamepass, and finally, the possible appealing in variety of games down in the future thanks to the recent studios acquisition, have made us being undecided on where to go directly. Also, Sony's approach and missed communication regarding certain features like transferring saving etc, has not helped one bit.

Personally, I may end up buying PS5 first cause in my case it will be the cheaper next gen console to buy with the digital edition option, plus me having tons of digital games in my PS4 backlog to revisit on PS5; besides, I definitely wanna play some of the Sony exclusives like Demon Souls, Gran Turismo 7, Rachet, Spiderman, etc. In addition, I'm looking forward to try out the DualSense controller features as well as the Tempest Engine 3D audio.

In the end, I'm pretty sure Xbox Series X will be my first Xbox console ever and main console to play with along Gamepass.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't owned a Microsoft system since the 360, and I've had such a great experience with GamePass on PC that I am considering it, but I also am considering finally hopping into a gaming PC since I've never had a chance most of my 35 years on this planet. I've never cared for Halo or really any Microsoft franchise or even most of Bethesda's work (not a huge AAA game fan either... give me AA and below plz), and I've liked Sony's support for creative/niche titles, but at this point that all dosn't matter as much since Microsoft and Sony very different monsters now, even compared to 4 years ago.

I will probably wait to see where the new fighting games as well as niche unique titles find their foothold to fully decide, unless there's some major exclusive I might care about.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Couldn't get a ps5 preorder, got an XSX preorder, got a 65 inch Sony x900h tv to go with it. Will get a PS5 when they are available. Kind of reticent about buying digitally from Sony tbh, they don't seem to care about supporting their back catalog as much, so I may get the disc version PS5, would hate to amass a huge digital library and perhaps when the ps6 arrives it's unplayable.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
I was gearing towards a ps5 but when I found out that Spider-Man Miles is coming to ps4, I feel like I can wait longer. I will get it for God of War but I don't think that's coming out 2021. I have a good gaming PC but the convivence of quick resume on Xbox is too good. I have two kids so I tend to play a lot of games in bursts - 10 mins to 1 hour here and there.

At the same time, I do think Xbox has a better mutiplayer library than Sony. I still play Halo 5 and FH4.

I also have an Atmos set up, I don't know if PS5 is confirmed to have it but I know xbox does.

It's also hard to swallow $70 for a game. I usually wait for price drop on most games but it seems that it'll take a while of them to reach the "sweet spot" buy price. And of course game pass.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
Last night, i tried gamepass on my note 10. sat there and played halo for 3 hours.

Ended up pre-ordering the series S right after that. Gamepass has come a long way. Great value

Maple-Rebel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 15, 2018
Still happy with PS5. I like the first year of games better and, other than Doom, none of the promised Microsoft games are for me. Great to have some competition this gen so Sony has to work for our money.

SGRX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
MS making their games (and Gamepass) available on PC makes the Series X less compelling for me than the PS5 as a secondary system. That said, if I were going console only this gen I would be playing multiplats on the SX.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I've owned every Xbox since the original and have a Series X pre-ordered but can't say it has taken precedent over a PS5 for me. I love Halo, Gears, and all of Bethesda's stuff but Sony's first party IPs still trump anything else to me. And I'm anticipating all next-gen games to be $70 anyway, it's not a "Sony thing".

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I'm a PC gamer through and through and I'm strongly considering picking one up. I've stayed away from consoles in the past because there's only been a few games I'm interested in, and they didn't seem picking up a console for. But Gamepass fixes that entirely.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Series x is simply the better choice this time around especially with game pass. A ps5 will be worth considering as an exclusive box later on once the library has matured and maybe a console redesign.

I still need a series x preorder though. Hoping another batch goes up soon unless someone from Microsoft wants to help me out here.

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
I'm getting both at launch but if Microsoft didn't have game pass and all those new studios added in the last 2 years there's no way I would have bought another Xbox.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm still a bit surprised that I pre-ordered a series X but not a PS5. Before Sony's showcase I thought there were two possible outcomes - I'd skip everything and stick to PC, or I'd get a PS5 and still play on PC. A week after Sony's showcase I had a series X pre-ordered.

Sony did one hell of a job of unselling me on a PS5 and Microsoft made a good enough case that I became interested in a series X, even though I have a PC.

ghoulie

Oct 28, 2017
I've got both consoles preordered but am seriously considering canceling the PS5. Other than DS there's nothing there I want to play, and I'll play everything else on XSX. Still have a month to think about it at least.

Wtfpigeons

Aug 6, 2020
to Be honest I wouldn't even be getting a ps5 if didnt have a lot of people I play with on there. Sonys 40% price increase in games made me pre order a series x aswell to play while I wait for Sony games to get discounted.

Domino

Oct 25, 2017
I was originally going to hold off on getting an Xbox for like a year. But the Bethesda move got me hyped so now I'm getting A PS5 and Series X at launch. Microsoft has really gotten me to pay attention again, I dropped off the platform halfway through the 360 generation.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I'm doing that.

But I wouldn't say that I'm surprised. I'm actually maining the Xbox Series X for the same reason I mained the PS4.

* Better hardware (which will likely mean better multiplat versions, which are 95% of the games released).
* Cheaper (Yes, in Sweden XSX is cheaper, it shouldn't be but it is, and I have Game Pass prepaid which makes games cheaper as well).

I'll buy a PS5 later and I'll love it and the exclusive games but it would honestly be surprising if I went there first.

I guess the surprising part would be that I actually have a PC as well, but it's not in the living room or even possible to move there so it's really not all that surprising, XSX simply fills an empty spot.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'm getting one but it did not deter me from getting a PS5 first lol. But it will still be a good purchase with game pass so I'll trade in my One X as I have zero attachment to it. Don't really care for BC when most of of my games are on PS4.