• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you getting more and more swayed into getting an Xbox Series X/S before a PS5?

• Yes, Micosoft is building a more and more convincing case

• No, I don't believe that Microsoft has done enough to convince me

• I have no plans on getting either console

Results are only viewable after voting.

Success

Oct 27, 2017
With PS5 games costing $70 dollars and the ease of which you can play a plethora of next gen and current gen Xbox games on any device. I am seriously starting to consider getting a Series S and it just being my Gamepass machine before getting a PS5.

This sounds crazy to me! I always thought that I would get a PS5 over a Xbox X/S!

Is anybody else thinking the same and surprised?

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I've owned every Xbox since 2002 and are pretty set in their ecosystem. So no, not surprised.

ninezeroone

Oct 27, 2017
It's something I'm considering. $70 games are kind of a bummer. And I've got Game Pass Ultimate prepaid until 2023.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not surprised, I was already moving towards preferring the Xbox One over the PS4, with backwards compatibility. Backwards compatibility is such a huge thing for me.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I am actually quite happy Xbox is doing so well. I always hated how one sided the market became. Don't get me wrong, I love the PlayStation brand, and their exclusives, its been my main console this generation, but Xbox is coming out and swinging! Xbox is back in the fight and I cant wait to see how this will fair for both brands

Now will I buy an Xbox? hmmm not yet. The hardware is great but I really need some software hits for me to invest in a system, but the Series S and the DE version of the PS5 allows me to cheaper double dip and I love it!

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Recently got back into pc gaming so don't really see a reason to buy a X series X. I'll be sticking with PS5. I did snag gamepass though.

G Darksoul

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Questionable BC and no definitive save answers regarding BC, $70 games that I promise are no better than last gen, and where's the surprise??

kowhite

May 14, 2019
I mean, I was already gonna get it, but I'll just wait til early next year.

I just told myself...you don't need a PS5 AND a new XBox on practically the same day. Resist kowhite...and I close my potential preorder and walked away.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
This was the first gen where I got a PlayStation as my first console. I had the original Xbox and 360 before the ps2/3. And I like what Microsoft is doing now more than Sony, especially with the big game price increase here in Australia.

I'm moving from ps4 to xbox series x. Done and done.
Same most likely.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I will probably get a Series S at some point, whether its before I get a PS5 is up in the air. Mind you I won't be buying any of the next gen consoles this year, or even in the first 6 months after they launch. I'll wait till some more games become available for both and wait for any hardware issues to be ironed out. Could be a year or more honestly but I've got a massive backlog of games to work through so not a big deal either.

Edit: I may just build a beefy PC in the future and just get Gamepass for that instead of bothering with the Xbox altogether but we'll see how that goes.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
$70 games are likely coming to all platforms, Xbox and PC alike.

The only reason I'm considering buying an Xbox Series X before the PS5 is because it seems more likely that I will be able to obtain a XSX preorder than a PS5 preorder. If Halo were still on track for a November release I might give the edge to Xbox, but as things currently stand I would rather be playing Spider-Man at 60FPS.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
Actually what microsoft has done is the opposite, they have made it significantly more appealing to get a PS5 because of gamepass and Xcloud, I can experience all that content without even owning an xbox or gaming pc. So having a PS5 allows to me experience the Sony exclusives and I can still get access to the Xbox exclusives through xcloud. I can sign up for a month, play the game I want to and then suspend it.

Getting an xbox instead of PS5 would be the worst option for me.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I ain't spending $90 on a game, or $630 on a console, so Microsoft gets me this gen with GamePass and a $380 console.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been a PS gamer since childhood with PS1. Never thought I'd be as unexcited for a new system from Sony as I am right now.

The Series X seems like the better value for me just because of B/C.

I'll wait a while before I buy into next gen but if Microsoft gets better support from Japanese 3rd parties this gen then I'll seriously consider getting the Series X over the PS5 as my first next-gen console.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
That's where I'm at right now, MS has been doing a really good job selling their console to me while Sony feels like it's just coasting on the PS4's success.

Cbrun44

I'm getting both. Have both pre-ordered. But, if I didn't I'd be leaning Xbox right now.

I was primarily on PS4 this gen with the Xbox One for exclusives and GamePass. 360 as the primary for the gen prior to that.

Just feel a bit more excited about the Xbox this go around.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
They've been building a much better case as a primary console, the value proposition is absurd and you'll get the best experience with the vast majority of games. PS5 on sale in a couple years with a handful of exclusives to play makes sense.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm personally more excited about the Series X than the PS5 from a long-term perspective. That library has a likelier chance of basically lasting for every future Xbox console given their philosophy so far, and I think that's pretty great and I'll have a decent on-demand library available all the time via Game Pass, which so far has catered to my sense of discoverability and taste quite well.

Obviously this sort of thing has existed on PC with the slight caveat that some games require just a little more effort to get running on modern hardware than others — usually not a big challenge for me but definitely understandable how it might be a massive deterrent to others, and I think Xbox just streamlines that feeling even more. Shy of licensing issues preventing some of my old favorites from reappearing via backwards compatibility, it's kind of amazing to have access to a good chunk of my personal gaming history via their BC efforts all on a single contemporary platform.

But the elephant in the room for me is still that I want to play Miles Morales and Demon's Souls far more than any game that will be S/X optimized at launch. Yakuza 7 and Cyberpunk would be very likely pickups for me on Xbox Series X, but I didn't manage to secure a preorder on a Series X — if Best Buy in the US restocks for launch day then I'll absolutely buy one, and failing a launch day pickup I'll still go for one ASAP. I did manage a PS5 pre-order though, and I'm pretty happy with that considering my interest in Miles and Demon's Souls.

My plan in terms of how I use the consoles remains the same as I had this generation: PlayStation for exclusives and fighting games (because that's where I own my arcade stick and some fighting games are PS-exclusive); Xbox for all third-party games and Game Pass. I play enough third-party games that I think it basically makes the Xbox my "default" console.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It was always the case for me even before Bethesda deal went down. I have a Good PC still waiting on getting a 3080 but I want the series X for an other TV etc. PS5, I have on order but I think holding off until more exclusives are out may be the smart way to go. We will see I may just keep both for launch, depends how things look from Sony over the next few weeks.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm on PS4 base currently. I pre-ordered the PS5 on Amazon and have been leaning that way for a while but....on the basis cancelling preorders is easy, MS did enough in relation to Gamepass / BC / machine strength and Sony aren't exactly being super chatty about their machine going into a generation where games are £70, I pre-ordered also a Series X through Amazon too which I never thought I'd do.

My PS4 is six years old. I want a new toy and deserve a treat but yep, ask me a year ago I'd be this torn and I would have laughed. One of my preorders is getting cancelled, I've set myself a deadline of mid October to decide based on what both companies show in the meantime but right now? My PS5 order is up for the chop - my existing subs to Plus and Now and Back collection be damned, Sony just aren't going the extra mile yet

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
I mean I'm not a fan boy for any particular console manufacturer. Why should it be shocking that I want to pick up an series X? The machine looks to be a workhorse and the service offering is pretty damn good.

I was planning to buy both consoles at launch. Especially after having zero luck getting a 3080.

However I completely missed the PS5 pre-orders now I am resigned to not getting a PS5 this year, which sucks.

I was able to get a pre-order for Series X that might actually show up on launch day, and if not launch day, at least before Christmas.

May 15, 2019
As someone who primarily uses consoles for old games that don't run well, have no controller support or straight up aren't on PC the Xbox is infinitely more appealing. Loved playing through the early Splinter Cell games on my BonX.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
The thought has crossed my mind, especially since I just played Horizon and Last of Us for the first time these past two months and neither did anything for me.

Still, Sony does have games I know I'll like, such as Ratchet, and games I think I'll like such as Spiderman and Kena.

MS has yet to show me they're serious about first party games that matter to me, but the signs are there. Also the BC is really cool.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Best value no doubt but i can't play Demon's Souls, or Miles Morales...or any other PS Studios games so unless MS step it up on that department (games i want to play) i can't see myself buying a Xbox.

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
Honestly PC and PS5 is by far the better choice. I don't need an X or S to enjoy gamepass.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I've owned every Xbox and PlayStation. I was always getting both. Admittedly, I had thought of just going PS5 and PC with the changes to Xbox's strategy but even if I did get a 3080, I probably would have broken eventually and bout it.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes.......

only because my series x will be availible for pick up day one while my ps5 doesnt have a shipping date yet.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I'm getting both, but I am surprised that right now I'm leaning towards Series X being my main.

Oct 25, 2017
No. People can buy whatever they want and in the end if people prefer the catalog of the Xbox consoles and don't care for Sony exclusives, why should they buy the PS5?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I will say Sony seemingly being all in on VR support keeps me firmly leaning in their direction. I get why MS isn't jumping on that bandwagon but it's a big part of what really excites me for next gen. It's one of the reasons I'm hesitant to jump on the Series X.

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft is simply making the best moves, which convinces me I will get much better value starting with their console. And this gen I owned a PS4, a pro and even a vita (no Xbox One) and I live in Japan of all places so it isn't like I'm a MS fan boy.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Nope. Playstation with their games is where I want to be. PC will be for everything I can't get on PS5.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a weird thread as it assumes everyone prefers PS5 over Series X by default, or wouldn't even consider getting both.

I'm buying both. Can't wait.