• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
I am stunned how hard it is for people to get a PS5 still. That's nuts. How is this compared to other launches? I was extremely lucky enough to get the last pre-order in for launch day

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
Aha it just seemed like the sensible option right now. Insane value. I've bought way more games on my Switch than my PS4 the last few years anyways.

Ratchet looks nice and I'm sure God of War will be cool, but nothing that screams "Buy me!" yet.

yep. especially considering that the series x is the first ms console i've ever owned, between game pass & cheap oldies, i've got lots more to choose from right now than the ps5 could possibly hope to offer this early on...

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
yep. especially considering that the series x is the first ms console i've ever owned, between game pass & cheap oldies, i've got lots more to choose from right now than the ps5 could possibly hope to offer this early on...
I haven't owned one since the 360! So lots to catch up on, and some games on Game Pass that I would probably never shell out for but will gladly try for the price of a few pints a month....

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
I caved in a month ago and bought one from a scalper. The markup wasn't a lot, and it was absolutely worth being able to not stress over trying to get one.

To be sure, I'm not condoning scalping, and you should do what makes sense for your situation. But I don't regret doing it.
46948.jpg

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
At launch and some months after I was casually looking to get one because Demon's Souls, but really hunting I gave up on. It's impossible to get one if you aren't on the lookout 24/7. Still want one down the line but if I'm honest, just getiing it for Demon's Souls isn't worth it imo. I do hope people who really want one right now are able to find one.

jhombus

Jul 23, 2020
Going to attempt to help a friend get a PS5 after getting one myself on launch day. Thinking I'll keep an eye on the PS Direct queue and hope for the best, but any consensus around what the best approaches are right now?

Aug 31, 2019
I am taking the lack of PS5 / GPU stock as an opportunity to go through my back catalogue / wishlist for games I can already play.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I am stunned how hard it is for people to get a PS5 still. That's nuts. How is this compared to other launches? I was extremely lucky enough to get the last pre-order in for launch day
I've been fortunate enough to get every console on launch since the PS2. I never bought a Wii U though.

PS5 might as well not exist. It's almost 6 months of waiting now.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
I got my Series X which is my main console and not planning on getting a PS5 right now, but it's just crazy how these consoles are still unavailable like this. Hate that scalpers are taking advantage of gamers like some fucking uninvited middleman that gets between someone and their item for their profit. It's all BS!

Last edited:

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I basically gave up, outside of looking at a popular Korean buy/sell marketplace app every now and then. I figured I'd probably get one late this year or early next, as there was no way I was going to pay double what the console costs. I guess Sony must have finally shipped a boatload of consoles to South Korea because all of a sudden my app lit up with people selling PS5s at only $50-$100 above the MSRP. I snagged one immediately, and now feel like I totally lucked out.

I'm not sure why it's so much cheaper to buy a scalped console here compared to other regions. I guess console gaming is still rather niche compared to PC gaming in Korea.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Throwing in the towel for now. I'll be back whenever PSVR2 launches. In the medium term there's just not that much that's fully exclusive to PS5 that I want to play. I have my PC for the rest.

Oct 30, 2017
I still remember in March 2008 on the day Brawl came out, waiting outside Toys R Us to get a Wii. I was like 40th in line.
For a console that launch in 2006.

This almost isn't too far off.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Demand has increased again on ebay in the UK, 5 weeks ago you could see most selling at £500-550, now most going for £650+ digital edition and £700-800+ for the disc version.

With the prices of digital games on top it's kind of crazy to me to see how many are willing to pay for a console and games. I'm still the £350 max for a console and £40 game kinda guy

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I still remember in March 2008 on the day Brawl came out, waiting outside Toys R Us to get a Wii. I was like 40th in line.
For a console that launch in 2006.

This almost isn't too far off.
completely different scenarios, not even close. Wiis were actually sold in stores, camping out for restocks was possible. I was able to find a Wii by making just a few calls to gamestops in less populated areas of the city. ps5s arent available in store and basically available only online, where you have to compete with the traffic of an entire nation AND bots. and the situation still hasnt improved in what...6 months now? but i mean, global pandemic and silicon shortage and all that.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
You can find one here is Costa Rica... If you are willing to pay almost $2000 for it.

I am glad Sony is putting games on PC, slowly, but surely.

amardilo

Oct 30, 2017
UK
Had it in my basket a few times only for it to tell me it's out of stock partway through checkout. I hope stock shortages ease up soon.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Shit like this makes me want to lock up my PS5 where it can't be seen if someone comes over to do repairs etc.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yep fuck scalpers. Fucking hate seeing pics of people with a stack of PS5's with the only intention being to gouge people. I have the money to pay their stupid prices, but fuck these bottom feeding assholes.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's just not fun. Wanna get some games and have a good time but nope just gotta listen to everyone else play em instead. Fuck me for wanting to give Sony my money I guess.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
completely different scenarios, not even close. Wiis were actually sold in stores, camping out for restocks was possible. I was able to find a Wii by making just a few calls to gamestops in less populated areas of the city. ps5s arent available in store and basically available only online, where you have to compete with the traffic of an entire nation AND bots. and the situation still hasnt improved in what...6 months now? but i mean, global pandemic and silicon shortage and all that.
That sounds like the Wii situation was easier for you, but harder for others? I think due to the number of online tools and stock being entirely online without having to wonder if a store is getting shipments or not, the PS5 has been easier to grab than a Wii post-launch in my experience. Wii was easier to get on launch day. Pre-ordering both were the same. This is in Canada.

Fixuis

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Yep fuck scalpers. Fucking hate seeing pics of people with a stack of PS5's with the only intention being to gouge people. I have the money to pay their stupid prices, but fuck these bottom feeding assholes.

Absolutely. Still can't get a ps5 but will never ever feed scalpers. Screw these guys. Ideally, they should be forced to sell at a loss or the same price they got them at or better yet be stuck with their lot. That's the only way to teach people like these a lesson.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
The meta game of trying to find a PS5 isn't one I'm interested in playing. I'm not running through hoops to give anyone $500 for an entertainment device. When I can simply order one off amazon.....whenever that is..... then that's what it is. In the interim I'm tackling my backlog, ain't like I don't have hundreds of other games to play.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
For me, getting a PS5 was easier than getting an XSX (the former from Walmart, the latter from Costco, and I had to buy an extra controller w/ the Costco one)... a coworker has been trying to get an XSX since December. It's kinda ridiculous.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

I saw this on Facebook earlier today and tried to figure out how to report it. Person had six of them somehow.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Not for the PS5 since I was able to get one at launch, but definitely for the Series X. I've been following a few people on Twitter, but they're gone in like 45 seconds everytime there's a drop.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
You can report marketplace listings, but I couldn't find an option for price gouging/scalping. Thought there might have been one added with the toilet paper shortages last year.

there was some action taken with essential items at the peak of the pandemic but I don't think Facebook or any other marketplace/retailer gives any sort of a shit about luxury items being sold above cost.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The meta game of trying to find a PS5 isn't one I'm interested in playing. I'm not running through hoops to give anyone $500 for an entertainment device. When I can simply order one off amazon.....whenever that is..... then that's what it is. In the interim I'm tackling my backlog, ain't like I don't have hundreds of other games to play.
This is where I'm at. Would be nice to grab one but I'm not going to stress out about it.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
UK - you don't *have* to buy from scalpers here. I've been proper trying to buy one of each console, for a week now, and most days I have had the opportunity, and that is just through keeping my phone with me at work and watching for notifications. The only reason I haven't bought a Xbox Series X yet is I refuse to be forced into buying bundles (Game) and the PS5 was only available at retailers I don't trust and have had bad experiences with (Smyths)

If you commit to it, I think you could pick up one within a week of trying for sure.

Unrivaled

Banned
Oct 13, 2020
What have people found is the best success to find these consoles? I'm in Canada and just signed up to a discord channel which gives notifications.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
UK - you don't *have* to buy from scalpers here. I've been proper trying to buy one of each console, for a week now, and most days I have had the opportunity, and that is just through keeping my phone with me at work and watching for notifications. The only reason I haven't bought a Xbox Series X yet is I refuse to be forced into buying bundles (Game) and the PS5 was only available at retailers I don't trust and have had bad experiences with (Smyths)

If you commit to it, I think you could pick up one within a week of trying for sure.

You've been trying for a WEEK? I thought there hadn't been any stock for several weeks... I've been trying to buy one since before Christmas with no luck!

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
there was some action taken with essential items at the peak of the pandemic but I don't think Facebook or any other marketplace/retailer gives any sort of a shit about luxury items being sold above cost.

browsing Craigslist the last couple weeks for various older games, I've seen numerous PS5 posts with some kind of hilarious sentence like:

"to the person who keeps flagging and removing my posts get a life!!!!"

Got a solid chuckle out of me.

Looking into it, apparently there is some kind of…soft rule (?) about listing things above retail on CL. I can't speak with certainty, but I've now read that in their forums a couple times when posters complain.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I'm really surprised hardcore gamers are having this much difficulty finding these things. In Canada, I feel like I barely tried and I managed to get PS5, Series X and Series S at launch. I ended up returning my Series S.

If you're in Canada, I can understand PlayStation 5 being difficult to get, but if you can't get a Series X or Series S, you're loafing imo, I could have gotten another series x at least 5 or 6 times already, if I needed one.

Canadian retailers are also very good at selling bundles with extra controllers and games that deter scalpers a bit.

The graphics cards are on another level of fucked up

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I'm one of those people. I subscribed to stockinformer, I followed the highly recommended Twitter accounts and turned on post notifications, I followed links to stores the minute they dropped on social, I checked websites frequently just in case, etc. I did my part. It became life-consuming at some point. So I decided to turn to scalpers for the very first time in my life. I still feel awful for endorsing and perpetuating the practice, but at the end of the day I'ma consumer with limited time and disposable income — I have high tolerance but I'll follow the supply at some point.

So, I bought XSX from StockX for $640, and around June I'll buy a PS5. A $140 hike is still WAY justifiable than the amount of time and effort required to buy one of these consoles first hand.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
I've given up. Even following stock trackers, it's impossible. The scalper bots are faster than I will ever be.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it sucks and I'm tired of looking for one. I'll check again next year but even then I'm not hopeful. It's a shitshow
And fuck scalpers

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Feels like it's just getting worse now, and the ebay prices are going up.

Started hunting for a Series X a couple of days ago and I just learned there hasn't been any stock for over 4 weeks.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
This sucks for those still in the hunt. I heard the local PX on post had some in earlier this week and even had restriction limits on purchase with ID.

If I ever find one while stopping by I'll post on here to see if anyone wants it at cost. Colorado Area by the way.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I scored a PS5 on my first attempt at going through Sony's queue. I recommend that method to anyone who hasn't scored one yet. It's the one thing I wish everyone else was doing. The PS5 wasn't for me though. Also snagged an Xbox Series X for a friend.

Now GPUs are another story. Consoles are a piece of cake compared to those.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm honestly surprised it's still this hard to get a next gen console, and I guess lucky to score a PS5 at release. I remember having troubles to get a PS4 at release but this seems worse.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
I managed to get one this week and that was because this store chain in Australia, JB Hifi, would only take a deposit in-store only. Got it the next day.

Good way of avoiding the scalper boys etc

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason I haven't bought a Xbox Series X yet is I refuse to be forced into buying bundles (Game) and the PS5 was only available at retailers I don't trust and have had bad experiences with (Smyths)

What happened with Smyths, out of curiosity? They were where I ultimately got my PS5 and I found the service excellent. And they've been great the handful of other times I've used them for games — a couple of in demand titles that were more expensive elsewhere but I could click and collect no problem.

You've been trying for a WEEK? I thought there hadn't been any stock for several weeks... I've been trying to buy one since before Christmas with no luck!

It took me about a week of seriously trying to buy one. I just followed a few of the stock alert Twitter accounts and turned notifications on. Managed to order one twice from places that apparently oversold and cancelled my order, then finally got one from Smyths with no forced bundles and no queuing.

I'm not sure of the stock situation right now because it comes and goes as shipments arrive in the country and I'm not following it anymore, but when a shipment comes in the big retailers will have several large (tens of thousands each) drops over the course of a week or so.

There must be stock coming in because it's regularly the best selling console in the country at the moment.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
I was about to get a PS5 at launch but I couldn't find one so I bought PS4 instead of PS5.

I am happy with my console. When PS5 Slim will be out, I'll buy PS5.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure of the stock situation right now because it comes and goes as shipments arrive in the country and I'm not following it anymore, but when a shipment comes in the big retailers will have several large (tens of thousands each) drops over the course of a week or so.

You're not telling me anything I don't know already - the issue has been that there has simply been no stock. Although I understand Smyths may or may not have sold some in the past week, most major UK websites have had literally no stock for the entirety of April.

It doesn't matter if there are eventually "tens of thousands" of units when there is frothing demand for them and that demand only increases with shortages.

I don't work a job that enables me to watch for Discord notifications like a hawk at 4 in the morning. As much as I would like to get one, the ridiculous situation is not conducive to me doing so.