• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Life's too short to waste time on challenging games. I experience enough frustration in the real world, not interested in any in my hobbies.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm old, I got no time for that shit. My free time should be used having fun and not being frustrated by something, but then again, to each his own.
I couldn't get into Dark Souls because of it. Liked Bloodborne, tho.
Hard JRPGs and SRPGs are fine, because you're are given the tools to deal with that.

Kokoro

Jan 23, 2019
France
I tend to play on normal for most games, but I'm really frustrated when a game is too hard. Recent examples for me are Wolfeinstein or the first Crash Bandicoot remastered. I don't mind difficulty in itself, I just don't like to be blocked and have to replay the same thing too many time. Strangely, I like the Souls games. I don't find them hard to the point of being "unfair".

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i can make an exception for games like Cuphead where I do feel very good after finally beating a boss but for most games, it's easy or normal mode for me! I have veryittle patience and dying too soon in a new game usually results in me stopping.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Speaking for me, I don't seek to enjoy games games for the sense of "accomplishment" as in I saved the princess and beat up Dr. Evilshadowclaw. Challenges can exercise my mind and through adversity I feel I learn things sometimes. I'm sure some will scoff at this, but I genuinely feel some difficult games have improved my patience and asymmetrical thinking. And that's the kind of "accomplishment" I look for.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
Speaking for me, I don't seek to enjoy games games for the sense of "accomplishment" as in I saved the princess and beat up Dr. Evilshadowclaw. Challenges can exercise my mind and through adversity I feel I learn things sometimes. I'm sure some will scoff at this, but I genuinely feel some difficult games have improved my patience and asymmetrical thinking. And that's the kind of "accomplishment" I look for.

I like this take.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
There are certain games I'll take more challenge at. Racing games are my favourite kind of thing these days (the market doesn't even release many of the sort of games I was into in the 80/90/00s) and given a few laps I'll take a bit more challenge. I never play with racing lines on and I' always use manual gears. I get to see the whole circuit whether I play on easy or hard, so some challenge here isn't taking up any more of my time.

But for narrative games - adventures, shooters, RPGs - I'll take being able to get on with the story over having to replay sections over and over.

I still miss lots of games that just don't exist anymore. The Microprose sim-lite games; Total Air War and related games; and the early Call of Duty/Medal of Honor games that were slower paced.

/oldmanshoutsatcloud.gif

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Playing something that is PVP is inherently difficult but people dont think of multiplayer games as difficult in the same way a Dark Souls game is even if it is as repetitive as a single player game. I think this whole Dark Souls difficulty appeal has really poisoned the waters when it comes to talking about difficulty.
To me if a game is action/survival focused I want to feel like the enemies im fighting have a chance against me and that means tougher difficulties, and by playing these modes I am forced to see the limits of the games mechanics by just playing it naturally and not by reading up on the game online.
Practice makes perfect and I love feeling like I am getting better at a game I like but I cant do that if I just play on normal and get to the end without issue.
To me difficulty is one of the biggest reasons I love games because it feels good to overcome a challenge no matter how much time you spend on it, you might just want to beat more games since you have less time to play games but by your logic spending 200 hours on a single game is an equal waste of time as spending 200 hours on 10 games, so different strokes?

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Same thing happened to me too. Now I play everything on easy because the experience the game gives me is more important than the challenge. Plus I have a career and kids now, so time is a factor. Games are still enjoyable this way.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Started playing Spiderman and selected the hard setting.

It's not impossible, but challenging, picking what move to do next, webbing his guy or disarm, maybe dodge then attack...etc.

But in the other hand there's bullshit like MKX, in which the AI has superhuman reaction speed, I just keep doing a lot of shit until something works and keep moving in the story mode. That's the difficulty I don't enjoy.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I have also gotten tired of difficulty the older I've gotten. I want story more than gameplay in general now.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
If I die more than a few times at the same spot on the normal difficulty I'll probably never pick up your game again.
Yeah this. If I have to repeat the same thing more than twice it's not worth it.
Things also changed a few years ago. But nowadays I usually go with easy difficulty.
Where I used to force myself through the first Soulsborne games I just can't be bothered anymore to even try them.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Oh and by the way, God of War with Kratos dying in two hits after hitting a random ass enemy 99+ times and dealing very little damage, can fuck right off.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I tend to start games on whatever the default difficulty is. But I've a very low tolerance of bullshit. And there's plenty of what I'd call bullshit in latter Call of Duty single player games, and the most recent Wolfenstein. And when facing a wall of bullshit bullet sponge nonsense I'll drop the difficulty down and see if the same is still fun (it usually is) or I stop playing.

I worked in the business for over 15 years and I've paid my dues grinding through shitty games. Now I'm in another career with a family life I'll happily be a wuss dad-gamer. And it's not just the excuse of family and career etc, these days I have hobbies other than gaming too. Gaming has to compete with me picking up a guitar, or a camera.

Gans

Oct 27, 2017
No idea why but the only difficulty I love is MH one, the rest I just play normal and good to go, but give me an arch tempered elder in MH and I'm all in for learning it :)

Bonezz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yeah gonna join the opposite side. Give me the hardest difficulty that you have. I don't see any point in playing a game if I can just waltz through and not have to pay attention to anything. At that point you might as well have just made a movie and not a game.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Remember when Call of Duty felt like playing Band of Brothers The Game instead of the last five minutes of Rambo IV? Thems were the days.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I still can for sure. It depends on the game. Some games I'm not going to play on the hardest difficulty for the sake of it though. For example, Uncharted: I'm not going to play that for the difficulty, I'm playing it for the thrill ride adventure.

But I still love to play challenging games like SoulsBorne games, Nioh, Devil May Cry, The Witness, and Cuphead.

Like right now I'm playing Cuphead. I'm dying a lot, and cursing a lot. And whenever I finally beat a boss, I just feel... nothing. No sense of accomplishment. Because ultimately, it's just a fucking video game. A waste of time that could have been otherwise spent into doing something productive. Something that could be a real accomplishment, that could potentially improve my life.

If it makes you feel any better, most people don't do anything *actually* productive for the majority of their lives. And yes that includes work.

I've never been a fan of the "doing something productive for the sake of doing something productive" mindset. Do something because you find meaning or enjoyment in it. I should be clear that I'm talking about non-essential activities here, not like chores or work or anything.

Anyway, if you don't find enjoyment in difficult video games, then don't play them. You shouldn't feel obligated to because their revered here or considered must-plays to be a "true gamer" or some shit. There are plenty of games out there that can be enjoyed without having to worry about difficulty.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Depends on what makes the game difficult. If you have higher difficulty because the enemies have more health and you die faster, that's artificial difficulty and IMO is bs. If you have higher difficulty because the enemies have fewer or physically smaller openings for you to attack without being hit yourself, that is legitimate difficulty. When your technique has to be more refined to get the job done, to me, that is what makes a higher difficulty. When you just have to hit something more times, that's just nonsense.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I play most games on easy mode.

However, I do like a game that is finely challenged like Sekiro. Doesn't mean I want every game to be like that.

Reader

Oct 27, 2017
I got through the pointless argument by justifying single player games as an interactive stories, and multiplayer games as social activities (I only play multiplayer with friends).

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
For me it depends on the game. I loved challenging myself through the Apocalyptic difficulty on Darksiders 3, for instance and that was before the combat style change updates that made it more forgiving. I also enjoyed plaything through some of the recent single-player FPS on the hardest difficulties too (not Wolfenstein II though, that damned courtroom..)

When I was playing Pillars of Eternity II, I ended up turning the difficulty down just because of the sheer number of encounters and I would just rest between each major fight so that I could cast my best spells etc. It just felt tedious moreso than rewarding.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I've never really enjoyed overly difficult games. These days with work and other stuff going on I don't get a huge amount of time to play and I usually want to see as much of a game as I can.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
99% of games today do difficulty terribly. They simply just pump up enemy stats/drop your stats.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only really do difficulty in a limited number of scenarios. Where...

a) The game is designed around that difficulty. As a general rule, I play most games on normal and don't bother with hard settings. Artificially upping the difficulty is not fun for me.

and

b) The difficulty is not overly punishing. Games like Super Meat Boy, Celeste, or Cuphead are my jam. There is no penalty for dying and getting back into the action is very easy. Upon dying, you can be back to the same spot very quickly (=<1 minute). I appreciate that. When I have to trudge back to a save point (Hollow Knight) or am penalized with losing items/resources on dying (Soulsborne), I am not into that.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Yeah, I'm 36 and I'm totally over hard games. I started Hollow Knight this week and it's unnecessarily hard to start because you basically have to build your UI. That took me like 4 hours. If the end takes 4 hours like the above poster said I ain't fucking around with it no more. I'll boot up Guacamelee 2 instead.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
99% of games today do difficulty terribly. They simply just pump up enemy stats/drop your stats.

Yes Forza Motorsport does this at the highest AI settings. It lets the AI cars exceed whatever the current car class limits are. So you'll find them being able to use 50bhp more than your own car. Turn 10 Studios has struggled with getting AI good at going through corners very quickly so instead countered with letting the higher level AI blitz the player on the straights.

I still love the series and play it a lot, but I drop the AI down just enough to stop this bullshit.

In defence of T10 though, I saw one of the game directors on a stream recently say how much he hates this AI system, how it goes against the spirit of the game, and how they hope to banish it in the next game.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
If a game is too easy it loses a lot of its appeal for me. I don't want to beat my head against a wall, but I don't mind taking a little time to get used to a games mechanics. There's nothing better in gaming than finally getting that feeling of mastery over a game. Sure it might take a little time, but games are quite literally meant to waste time.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
As we get older time runs out for us, if something is hard and your doing something over & over & over again or you can't get passed it feels like a chore rather than a pleasure hobby.

Just do easy mode games OP, that's your option really or those games that increase or decrease difficulty as you go along.

Avoid stuff that stresses out people like Bloodborne etc

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
But Cuphead and Bloodborne definitely get endless praise for supposedly being all about the first.
That's because those games are challenging but not unfair or obtuse. You're never asked to do something absurd that no human would think to do without a guide, like kneel facing a wall until a tornado comes to swoop you away aka castlevania 2.

I like a fair challenge. I like the feeling of overcoming a tough boss that was giving me a hard time after learning the patterns and deciphering it's tells. I hate obscure wipes in, for example, FFXIV end game raids. A boss fight that requires me to read a guide beforehand isn't fun, and is why I stopped participating in endgame grind.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find my self more often putting surivival horror games down to easy. I love the story and atmosphere these games have but alot of them rely on making you frugal as possible and heavily rely on stealth. I just like to have the option to go ham if stealth fails without losing all my inventory and ammo fighting of some random enemy.

I did that with evil within, resident evil 7 and currently with days gone and those games still are enjoyable and i still find alot of the encounters tense.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Games like Bloodborne or Cuphead are not meant to be a chore, not for the kind of player these games aim for, atleast.

There's this notion that "difficulty" games are only played by people with time to spare, which is extremely silly. Once you learned how a game like this work, it's perfectly doable to play it in a busy schedule. Doesn't mean you will find the game itself fun or have patience to learn the rules. People should just get that not every game was made for them and let it go.

Also, if you think videogames are a waste of time, maybe it's time to ditch them altogether? You can always back later.

Samara

Oct 25, 2017
Québec
I'll always play on easy. I'm here to have fun, not being frustrated by a difficulty.

Gta5 does not have a difficulty setting? Then I'll skipped all the missions.

If I have to empty a clip on a basic enemy we are done. Especially since every enemy for me are there for a jumpscares😳

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

That's a really nice way to look at it.
I enjoy all kinds of games, and that includes challenging ones.
People challenge and improve themselves all the time through their hobbies, and games don't have to be any different.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was a drive-by post only to be contrarian with nothing more to say.
Op "anyone else here can't stand difficulty in games anymore?"

I give a short answer

OP "dont post in the fucking thread cause its contrarian".

If you wanted more detail ask. It's not contrarian to answer a question you posited because I didnt give a satisfactory level of detail. Chill the fuck out.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game.

Like I'm playing Hollow Knight right now and really enjoying it. Mostly because it's well designed difficulty and the super hard content (Nightmare King, Path of Pain, Godhood) is optional.

It's mostly games with poorly designed difficulty or difficulty due to bad game design (Dark Souls 2 with it's bad hit boxes) that piss me off.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I think the discussion on game difficulty is really fascinating and frustrating. Neither side is necessarily right but each of them frame themselves as such. For difficulty has a rather arrogant pride fullness to it while against difficulty always through around this "naw, I'm not wasting my life. That's just stupid" argument. Each is seems like a self-serving, end-all argument that doesn't really get anywhere.

For this reason I think all games should have difficulty modes ranging from a good, fair, and intended challenge to basically as easy as you want. When it comes to game, I think people just want to play the way they feel comfortable. I feel like that why we come up with sports like touch football and the like because we just want to have fun in the end.

OP
OP
hibikase

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Op "anyone else here can't stand difficulty in games anymore?"

I give a short answer

OP "dont post in the fucking thread cause its contrarian".

If you wanted more detail ask. It's not contrarian to answer a question you posited because I didnt give a satisfactory level of detail. Chill the fuck out.

I apologize for overreacting.

I got carried away because this is a sensitive topic for me. I hesitated to make this thread for fear of being ridiculed but I don't think that's been the case so far.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I find the exact opposite actually where games like Bloodborne and the Uncharted series on Crushing are much easier for me than the games of my childhood i.e. Ninja Gaiden, Ghosts and Goblins, A Boy and His Blob...

I platinumed The Last of Us on PS3 which required 2 runs of Hard mode and even added in the notorious Grounded Mode. Games today are too easy imo and I find myself selecting harder difficulties to enjoy them more.