• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Whenever I'm feeling down or depressed I find that playing post-apocalyptic games (especially open world ones like Fallout 3/4) and horror games (like Resident Evil) are effective at helping me feel better. Similar books, movies and shows also have a similar impact on me when I'm feeling down.

Is anyone else like this? Why do you think my brain reacts this way?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I guess I could see that.

"Things might suck, but at least I don't live in a post-apocalyptic setting or have to fight monsters in my everyday life".

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

But I get you OP. The Souls series is my comfort food (alongside Kingdom Hearts which leans heavily on melancholy).

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I don't play a ton of horror games, but this definitely applies to me and horror movies.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've done this specifically with games (usually I want something that's chilled out and easy to get lost in) but I did recently go through a period of time where I clung to the one-off manga My Broken Mariko.

Sometimes I need fiction to go to that dark place.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I love playing stressful things when real life gets intense. It allows me to focus my stress into something and get lost in its superfluous, low-stakes decisionmaking.

Like, replaying Pathologic and Pathologic 2 during COVID was incredible. An almost life-changing experience. I highly recommend it.

I also watch a lot of extremely depressing arthouse indie horror and tragedy films when I am depressed or angry. Again. It channels it, and then I process it when I arrive at the film's catharsis., it's like a proxy.

Last edited:

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
When I was in my darkest hour I got really into Dark Souls PVP.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Lol yes I do this all the time with all media and can't put my finger on why. I guess it's more in sync with my current emotions and allows me to feel them while still having some sense of escapism, rather than just trying to force myself to dramatically shift my emotions. I like to play animal crossing when I am already feeling cute and happy, I don't want to try to force myself to feel that way when I'm not in that head space. Like, it's OK to not feel great about the state of the world, and it's important to let yourself feel that ya know?

L4DANathan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fairfax, VA, USA
That's just regular cognitive dissonance. It's a pretty well known psychological trait that when you're down, you enjoy sad media, when you're angry, angry media, etc. Same reason telling an upset person to "calm down" just makes them more upset.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Post apocalyptic is by far my favorite setting in games, especially if it's from nuclear war and not zombie outbreak.

I spend a lot of my time in this Pandemic playing various Fallout games, and there are more post apocalyptic RPGs coming out soon too.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I remember playing RE7 in VR while I was coming to terms with Trump being present and thinking to myself how glad I was to have something like that to escape to.

I think I was strudging through a basement full of monsters at the time. I'm not sure why it helped me so much.

MagicPhone

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, I've been weirdly drawn to playing The Division and The Division 2 this year, despite them being about awful pandemics and the downfall of the US government. Because it's a fantasy version of what we're actually dealing with, I find it helpful.

In a similar vein, I've also been reading Stephen King's The Stand.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
I've heard people use death metal to calm down so I could see it. For me, I prefer games I can go on auto pilot, just enough engagement to remove my ability to think about stuff other than the game. Fenyx Rising is great for instance.