• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it gets discussed more in some general workout thread, but was surprised there is no 'yoga ot' or something. Yoga nerds, what type do you practice? How long have you been practicing? When's your next several thousand dollar month long India retreat? Cork or rubber mat??

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I did it for a year, should get back into it. Will follow thread for tips!

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Vinyasa practitioner for about 4 years. Been real good for post-run therapy. Have 3 mats, one I love is the Suga mat made from recycled neoprene wetsuits.

I don't subscribe to the idea of yoga retreats, just seems like excessive travel to practice it in a nicer place...

Last edited:

nny

Oct 25, 2017
Did it for a few years, life got in the way, would like to return to it.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Currently trying to get back into it! The youtube channel Yoga with Adriene is the best

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I think there was a thread or two in the past looking for advice or starter tips I found when I was looking for information when I was looking to get started. But I don't recall an OT for the topic.

I've practicing for a little over a year at this point. Really changed my attitude toward exercising alongside Ring Fit. And it's done wonders for my self-esteem just going from being unable to do certain positions or hold planks to where I am today with it. Being able to look back on my progress is something I'm super happy about.

Highly recommend taking classes to anyone.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a religious studies type dude that focused on South Asian religions, postural yoga is basically just orientalist calisthenics.

That's fine/not exactly a problem if all you're looking for is a calisthenics routine, though. Just know that the spiritualist thing is basically a modern internationalist pretence.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I use a service called Romwod that's basically a guided stretching program each day. Usually takes 20-30 mins with one longer session of 45 minutes a week. Designed to help Crossfit athletes stay mobile. I love it.

I had previously gone to quite a few yoga classes but zoned out whenever instructors would dip into spirituality etc

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Vinyasa practitioner for about 4 years. Been real good for post-run therapy. Have 3 mats, one I love is the Suga mat made from recycled neoprene wetsuits.

I don't subscribe to the idea of yoga retreats, just seems like excessive travel to practice it in a nicer place...
Vinyasa owns, though I don't really know the difference between it and ashtanga vinyasa. The vinyasa 'offshoots' like Forrest are also good. And yeah mostly kidding about the retreat thing, though some do seem like it'd be an interesting experience at least.

Svadhyaya

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Vinyasa owns, though I don't really know the difference between it and ashtanga vinyasa.

Ashtanga is the same set sequence each time. "A then B then C, etc". You know what to expect out of it, and you can look forward to and notice changes out of the same postures. Vinyasa is essentially a randomized set sequence to the teacher's choosing.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Ashtanga is the same set sequence each time. "A then B then C, etc". You know what to expect out of it, and you can look forward to and notice changes out of the same postures. Vinyasa is essentially a randomized set sequence to the teacher's choosing.
Oh is that it? Interesting. Might be useful to know Ashtanga just to have something set to do if I don't feel like thinking about what to do on a particular day.

As a religious studies type dude that focused on South Asian religions, postural yoga is basically just orientalist calisthenics.

That's fine/not exactly a problem if all you're looking for is a calisthenics routine, though. Just know that the spiritualist thing is basically a modern internationalist pretence.
I think some of the pranayama stuff can be deep. All of the like 'chakra movement' stuff is nonsense though agreed. Though I have heard of fringe kundalini experiences replicating psychadelics 🤔

I didn't see you opened the thread, and I was gonna post you and say "Signal loves y*ga."
lol

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing DDPYoga for years and my body absolutely loves it. I feel fantastic after I do it. There are several levels of difficulty and I appreciate that. If you want a relaxing chill set of stretches you can do that. If you want to get your but kicked you can get that, too. I highly recommend it.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I need to get back into it. Been a few years because my gyms stopped offering classes at a reasonable (non-soccer mom) hour, and all the popular studios are hot yoga which I avoid like the plague.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
I've been doing Ashtanga and fake American yoga Vinyasa for about ... 8 years I guess? I really should do it more. I have hip problems and nothing really works as well as Yin practices for dealing with joint pain, including the PT regimen I've been on for like 10 years, lol. I also find that my body just like, feels stronger when I've been practicing a lot, I guess from all those little muscles that are hard to engage.

I also do a fair amount of meditative practice, not always the yoga-type but sometimes. Also while a lot of the stuff you hear in yoga studios is made up bullshit, there are some practitioners who make a conscious effort to go back to actual yogic texts, you just have to watch out for white American nonsense.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I did it very regularly for over 2 years, to the point where it was the only "exercise" I was doing. That went kaput when quarantine started and I couldn't go in to my classes, I've been subbed to one of my instructors since but the zoom classes just aren't the same for me so I am much less regular with it. A purist will probably say I only practice the asanas, which is true, I'm not really into the spiritual aspect of it.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Let's have an era zoom pranayama session.

I need to get back into it. Been a few years because my gyms stopped offering classes at a reasonable (non-soccer mom) hour, and all the popular studios are hot yoga which I avoid like the plague.
I actually got into it because it was easy for me to do at home alone. Was never into the idea of doing classes or going to a gym and it was appealing as a thing to do just in private.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I actually got into it because it was easy for me to do at home alone. Was never into the idea of doing classes or going to a gym and it was appealing as a thing to do just in private.

I've always felt that having an instructor physically present was important so they can correct you and move you into the right positions. It's very difficult to tell that you're doing something wrong.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Yes, god yes. If I don't do it for a day I feel it in my entire body. Yoga Every day. The benefits I've felt are many.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I've always felt that having an instructor physically present was important so they can correct you and move you into the right positions. It's very difficult to tell that you're doing something wrong.
Yeah it's no doubt objectively better but still lol. Maybe I'll get wealthy enough to get a private instructor 🤔

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
I like it but struggle to stick with it at home and can't find a studio I feel comfortable with. Currently no studios are open and I am living with a friend so there's really no room to do it. I miss it.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think some of the pranayama stuff can be deep. All of the like 'chakra movement' stuff is nonsense though agreed. Though I have heard of fringe kundalini experiences replicating psychadelics 🤔
Breath regulation is one of the more common ways of entering trance states, but usually postural yoga doesn't emphasize it so much. Part of the problem is modern postural yoga will appeal to Patanjali's yoga sutras to describe and ground itself when those sutras are both really aphoristic and aren't really about postural yoga at all, so much as a meditative or contemplative yoga apparently influenced by Buddhist meditation practices.

Kundalini and subtle energy stuff does form a body of mystic or contemplative praxis, though not one that I can really speak to personally. It's more that the emphasis on asanas/postures in stuff like hatha yoga was never decidedly spiritual. There's only about thirteen asanas or so that are actually found in classical texts (the rest were created in India's post colonial period and were of international or compound origin), and the 'spiritual' function of those classical postures was just for developing tapas (which is like a vigorous willfulness), or perhaps austerity, which really any form of exercise or physical exertion will develop if sufficiently challenging.

AngryMoth

Oct 25, 2017
Started with the latest "30 day" playlist on yoga with Adrienne at the start of lockdown having never done it before and have kept going since then. I've been loving it, it's been a great way to switch gears after finishing work at home which I was struggling with initially, and is a nice compliment to some of my other more active hobbies.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Breath regulation is one of the more common ways of entering trance states, but usually postural yoga doesn't emphasize it so much. Part of the problem is modern postural yoga will appeal to Patanjali's yoga sutras to describe and ground itself when those sutras are both really aphoristic and aren't really about postural yoga at all, so much as a meditative or contemplative yoga apparently influenced by Buddhist meditation practices.
What do you think about the practices that are mainly or totally breathing based and not like you mentioned ones incorporated into postural practices?

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What do you think about the practices that are mainly or totally breathing based and not like you mentioned ones incorporated into postural practices?

I'm actually more familiar with Buddhist practice than Yogic practice but the one thing they both seem to thoroughly agree on is that breath regulation is probably the foremost way to develop tranquility, and tranquility is often presented as the basis for meditative joy to arise. You can also enter those states by trying to skillfully regulate your attention (which will cause your breathing to gradually become more subtle), but ime that can be pretty challenging, as thoughts are typically pretty swift and subtle things to try to watch.

I think a more contemporary explanation for what is going on is that increased perfusion of CO2 in the blood causes a kind of calm but alert hypometabolic state. I know pranayama also uses it as an approach to physical health or as an intervention for some illnesses, and iirc some contemporary people think a lot of illness is caused by chronic overbreathing/hyperventilation, from people doing too much manual breathing, or tensing certain accessory breathing muscles that tend to get recruited by our nervous reactions to things.

Taoist praxis is arguably almost all about breathing, too, so that's one thing that there actually seems to be pretty broad agreement on. Buddhist anapanasati meditation is less about deliberate breath control but you're still typically applying bare or modest intentions to pacify the breath, at least depending on which Buddhist you ask.

Last edited:

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I practiced ashtanga for about 4-5 years, but kind of fell off after I stopped going to a class regularly. I'm not great at scheduling a practice for myself, but I try to go to classes/practice with friends when I can.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Vinyasa / Flow in a heated room. I'm sad I can't do it right now. Doing it at home just isn't the same as a 90* room. Look forward to getting back into it eventually.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually more familiar with Buddhist practice than Yogic practice but the one thing they both seem to thoroughly agree on is that breath regulation is probably the foremost way to develop tranquility, and tranquility is often presented as the basis for meditative joy to arise. You can also enter those states by trying to skillfully regulate your attention (which will cause your breathing to gradually become more subtle), but ime that can be pretty challenging, as thoughts are typically pretty swift and subtle things to try to watch.

I think a more contemporary explanation for what is going on is that increased perfusion of CO2 in the blood causes a kind of calm but alert hypometabolic state. I know pranayama also uses it as an approach to physical health or as an intervention for some illnesses, and iirc some contemporary people think a lot of illness is caused by chronic overbreathing/hyperventilation, from people doing too much manual breathing, or tensing certain accessory breathing muscles that tend to get recruited by our nervous reactions to things.

Taoist praxis is arguably almost all about breathing, too, so that's one thing that there actually seems to be pretty broad agreement on. Buddhist anapanasati meditation is less about deliberate breath control but you're still typically applying bare or modest intentions to pacify the breath, at least depending on which Buddhist you ask.
Maybe the minor benefits people get from breathing exercises during postural practice leads them to believe in more out there stuff. I think a mix both is good, anyway enjoying the breathing during more movement heavy practices would probably enjoy ones that are solely breathing.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been going through p90x and there is a yoga segment. No clue which style it uses but it's one of the more demanding parts, even more so than the parts with hundreds of push ups. I do enjoy it though as my flexibility and balance greatly improve after practicing it for long enough.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
How's the grip on this 🤔
Really good actually. Much better than the Lululemon mat that I normally take to my classes.

Which leads me on to the disadvantage of the Suga; durability. I bought the mat during the Kickstarter phase and as such, the mat does lose a few bits here and there the longer you use it. I'd imagine they've fixed the problem now that it's a normal enterprise but be aware!

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Really good actually. Much better than the Lululemon mat that I normally take to my classes.

Which leads me on to the disadvantage of the Suga; durability. I bought the mat during the Kickstarter phase and as such, the mat does lose a few bits here and there the longer you use it. I'd imagine they've fixed the problem now that it's a normal enterprise but be aware!
How many months until it started? It looks interesting anyway. But just bought a new Jade mat the other month to replace an older one so I should be good for a while.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
How many months until it started? It looks interesting anyway. But just bought a new Jade mat the other month to replace an older one so I should be good for a while.
About 6 months in. It was to be expected for being a Kickstarter backer. And being based in Europe makes it tricky to send the mat back to Cali!

Nov 3, 2017
I have been practicing Iyengar yoga for a couple of years and highly recommend it. It uses props to allow you to do exercises you would otherwise not be able to do.

It's not relaxation yoga or meditation yoga, though. This is the real deal. Do it if you want to feel sore for one or two days after a session.

To quote my yoga teacher: "Iyengar yoga connects things which are separated. Like parts of your body. Or laughing and crying".

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Like a few people here, I did yoga in earnest for about a year and have kind of fallen off since then. It started as a recommendation from my physio to help strengthen the muscles in my core to prevent the herniated discs in my back from getting any worse, but I wound up really enjoying it and doing it basically every day.

I still lift weights, because I have a gym at home, so I'm not horrifically out of shape, but my flexibility has definitely dropped in the last year, and I'd really love to get back into yoga. I have mats, blocks, and all that jazz, so I have zero excuse.

I also used to deeply value the quiet, meditative aspects of getting into an uncomfortable position and remaining there. But with two kids at home full-time, I'm not going to get that until at least September.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Never tried yoga prior to March, but gave Adriene a try.

Really like it. Did 30 days in a row to start, I have been slacking a bit in the last few weeks, but I really like it.

I was amazed at the difference it made. Just how inflexible I was, and how much better it feels now (not particularly flexible by any means, but comparatively it is a revelation).

I'm not huge on the meditation aspect of it (which is probably what made me avoid yoga before), just thinks like mindfulness don't seem to gel with me. Love it otherwise though.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I've been doing a lot of stretching and resistance band weight exercise for my runners knee, a pesty injury that can be quite a lengthy thing. Also put some Yoga exercises in there. Genuinely interested to expand on this.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I have been practicing Iyengar yoga for a couple of years and highly recommend it. It uses props to allow you to do exercises you would otherwise not be able to do.

It's not relaxation yoga or meditation yoga, though. This is the real deal. Do it if you want to feel sore for one or two days after a session.

To quote my yoga teacher: "Iyengar yoga connects things which are separated. Like parts of your body. Or laughing and crying".
Looked into this a bit today and seems interesting. Some of the prop poses look a bit silly visually but interesting anyway.

Nov 3, 2017
Looked into this a bit today and seems interesting. Some of the prop poses look a bit silly visually but interesting anyway.
It helps you out a lot. For instance, let's say you always forget to put your leg muscles under tension, the teacher will have the class put one of the cork blocks between your upper legs and go into the position like that. After doing this a couple of times, you remove the block but you can still "feel" him - only that now, you have to create that sense of stability using your leg muscles. It's really great.