• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, the 3DS had them, so did the Wii U, and the Switch still doesn't and it's gonna be what? Two years already? This is a huge pain if you've amassed a rather big digital collection as well. I also want organize my ACA Neo Geo titles. Has Nintendo hinted on this feature at all?

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Probably not because what's there are just games for the most part, with the other consoles you had a bunch of other applications and on Switch they either don't exist or are located in another place(for example the Mii editor).

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy that even basic stuff is left off some console OSes. PS3 never got the ability to alphabetize titles (homebrew allows it), PS4 requires manual sorting, Switch has nothing. I'd expect basic alphabetization, at least.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
How would organizing and folders work? Like if you put in a game card do you have to navigate through your nest of folders to find it and launch it?

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually now that my game library on Switch is getting bigger folders would definitely be nice to have.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Forget folders. NES/SNES Classic style pre-built filters would be a much more elegant solution imo, as long as it also allowed the ability to make custom ones.

Last edited:

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Don't personally see anything with just keeping it sorted by recently played.

Personally I don't see a problem with folders. How about we implement the option and let people decide what to use.

At this point anything would be an improvement. The "full list" function isn't good enough. You have to scroll to the end of the list to see it, it doesn't let you use system functions like the eshop, and it goes away on any number of actions like playing a game.

Even the NES Online interface would be an improvement.

Allowing the user to organize their own content is critical for usability. Nintendo isn't even using push advertising, the way Netflix, PS4, or Smart TVs are. That's the big reason for "push to front" UI design. Which makes the Switch UI just lame.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So to update games I have to put them in and take them out?

Don't personally see anything with just keeping it sorted by recently played.
No. The game card slot would be in addition to each game having it's own slot somewhere. And you can keep it all sorted by recently played if you want. We are asking for options not to force any one system on anyone as Nintendo have been forcing recently played on everyone for the past 1.75 years.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
There has been zero functional updates for the Switch OS since release. No folders, no way to arrange games on the home screen, no new themes or backgrounds, no remote system start, etc.

It's been really disappointing. These types of things are excusable early on in the lifespan of a system, but we're closing in on 2 years now and haven't received any of this.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
People love to say 'options', but never acknowledge that options add clutter and that people who want the option of having a clutter free environment are left out.

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
There has been zero functional updates for the Switch OS since release. No folders, no way to arrange games on the home screen, no new themes or backgrounds, no remote system start, etc.

It's been really disappointing. These types of things are excusable early on in the lifespan of a system, but we're closing in on 2 years now and haven't received any of this.
Huh? yeah there is. the 4.0 update added the feature to capture footage, even if it was only 30 seconds at the time.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017

It would also be nice to have an option to have the Pro Controller turn off after 10/30/60/etc minutes of inactivity.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
People love to say 'options', but never acknowledge that options add clutter and that people who want the option of having a clutter free environment are left out.

Options are optional. Don't want to use folders? Then leave the UI exactly as it currently is. You're advocating a system with only one option: the one you want.

I want to make something like the following:
- Collections (SNK, Sega, Capcom Beat-Em-Up)
- Emulation (ACA, Sega Ages, etc)
- Roguelike

and on and on.

Once you reach a critical mass of games, looking for particular games is cumbersome. I actually uninstall games not because I've run out of space but because it makes browsing the games list easier. And that's a UI design problem.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
If I don't have to see anything about folders and it doesn't slow down the system at all and doesn't change how I launch games currently, I guess the option would be fine, I would not want to deny anyone that.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
The Wii U had a better organization system than Switch at launch as even without folders you could swap and move your icons around. even the fucking DSi had it despite having a store with nothing but shovelware and Pictobits. It's baffling that I can't do at least the icon swap on my Switch...

Hell, I actually think the NES Online app's menu is super cool and would fit the Switch's simplicity just as well as our current menu, but even on THAT I can organize my games manually by release year, which is what I always want to do for stuff like my ACA games. It drives me nuts that I can't.

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly no. The switch OS, while fast and to the point, is awful for features. No real playtime tracker, no system messaging or voice chat, no themes and just barely got backup saves

A wholesale downgrade from Wii U and 3DS and even the Wii had the ability to send messages to other users in 2006

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I wish UIs would allow me to apply meta data tags to every game and let me sort via those tags. It would be optimal if the system allowed me to create folders for any/all tags which would allow me to categorize each game with multiple descriptors, placing a single game into multiple folders instead of having to choose just one.

For example, say I apply three meta data tags to Mega Man; it could appear in "Side Scroller", "8-bit", and "Capcom" folders simultaneously should I decide to create those folders.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I wish UIs would allow me to apply meta data tags to every game and let me sort via those tags. It would be optimal if the system allowed me to create folders for any/all tags which would allow me to categorize each game with multiple descriptors, placing a single game into multiple folders instead of having to choose just one.

For example, say I apply three meta data tags to Mega Man; it could appear in "Side Scroller", "8-bit", and "Capcom" folders simultaneously should I decide to create those folders.
You're asking way too much from Nintendo lol. I do like tagging.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
If I don't have to see anything about folders and it doesn't slow down the system at all and doesn't change how I launch games currently, I guess the option would be fine, I would not want to deny anyone that.

why would folders slow their OS down

anyway, when can we send messages to friends? what a terrible OS

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
You're asking way too much from Nintendo lol. I do like tagging.
I really was hoping for this feature when PS4 was getting folders. Why can't I put the same game into multiple folders!?

Nintendo really needs to give us something, though. After these last two eShop sales, I've now had to scroll to the end of the home screen to expand my games library. I'm about to pull the trigger on two more games, too.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Does homebrew even have this, yet? Like, it's sad that when it comes to Nintendo, basic functionality comes from the hacking scene, not the developer...

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo decided that Switch is about games first. You already have dozens of other devices were you can organize stuff in folders if you want to do that. I absolutely don't want to sacrifice the snappiness of the OS for that.