• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dre G Writer

Jan 5, 2018
Anyone know of any Role playing games but with the twin stick shooter format of combat???

For those who dont know what a twin stick shooter is. Here is some example footage of a twin stick shooter game.

But im looking for one thats an RPG. Ya know, main story with optional side quest, environments to explore, leveling up, gear acquisition. the usual RPG stuff.
I figure there's probably a few of them on Steam.

AAA or Indie, if you know of some, I wanna know about em.

falconhoof17

Jul 12, 2019
It's not an RPG but you might like Streets of Rogue which just came out. It's a twinstick roguelike that's basically binding of Isaac meets GTA, has the typical RPG elements you'd expect in a roguelike

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Not quite an RPG, but Strife's gameplay from the upcoming Darksiders Genesis is basically twin-stick. I expect there to be Zelda-ish progression.

Dec 18, 2017
It's not an RPG but you might like Streets of Rogue which just came out. It's a twinstick roguelike that's basically binding of Isaac meets GTA, has the typical RPG elements you'd expect in a roguelike
Doubling down on this one, it's like a 2D, Rogue-like immersive sim(Deus Ex-alike). The character builds a wild, gameplay is tops, and I can now play it in bed on my Switch.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Technically the Shooter part doesn't come out that often until the second or third games, but the DeathSpank trilogy is a top down twinstick with lock-on action rpg series, written by the guy who made monkey island, about a strange defender of justice hunting down an artifact of great power known as... The Artifact...

It's pretty goofy, and has some fun dialogue and quests. it's pretty cheap too, and each game has a demo, so check it out if it's interesting to you.

Let's see... a more correct version of what you're asking for is kinda tough, since a ton of these games are either Roguelikes like Streets of Rogue, or online like Realms of the Mad God... I'll try to research and think of a better response to your question!

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Cross Code, kinda. There's a projectile attack and you can spec into that, but the game is a pseudo-MMO, like .Hack.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Not really an rpg but i recommend Enter the Gungeon for the twin-stick shooter aspect, imo the best rougue-like out there by far too.

Bluforce

Oct 27, 2017
OP, you could try Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light and Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris.
Maybe more puzzle-shooter than GDR.

For Guardian of Light there is a demo on Steam.

chrisdm

Oct 27, 2017
Northeast United States
Killsquad just launched in Early Access, so it doesn't currently seem to have a lot of content, but it definitely has my attention based off gameplay. I hope it continues to get fleshed out!

store.steampowered.com

Killsquad on Steam

Hack and slash? Check. Twin-stick-shooter? Check. 4 player coop to slay hordes of aliens & bosses with your friends? Check. Skills, upgrades, weapons, gears, talismans and more to make you stronger? Check. Wake up, bounty hunter. We have a mission for you. Time to clean up the scum of the galaxy.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Cross Code, kinda. There's a projectile attack and you can spec into that, but the game is a pseudo-MMO, like .Hack.

Oh dang, how could I forget!?!

Yeah, get Cross Code, ASAP. It's absolutely amazing, has very fun and visceral combat, and enemies that are more then just things you Damage, most enemies have to be approached in a different way to be defeated which adds to the thrill of combat, and the presentation is lovely!

It also has a lot of thought put into it's environments and dungeons, making for very entertaining and challenging puzzles! It's like a twinstick Zelda game!

I highly reccomend playing the demo for it, and getting the full game if the prologue catches your interest like it did mine, it's great!

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Too Human is the most obvious answer. If you have an Xbox One, there's no reason not to give it a try, it's entirely free.

I often wondered why no one has ever made a twin stick ARPG, like Diablo and PoE, but with guns.

Pick a ranged class (primarily Commando), and that's exactly what Too Human becomes.

OP
OP
Dre G Writer

Dre G Writer

Jan 5, 2018
Diablo 3 kinda? If you play with a controller

actually, I have this game on pause as I write this, eating lunch.
Not quite an RPG, but Strife's gameplay from the upcoming Darksiders Genesis is basically twin-stick. I expect there to be Zelda-ish progression.

Will check this out
Alienation but it's PS4 only. RPG elements are fairly light though.

I played the zombie version of this game, dead nation back on PS3 a long time ago. wasnt aware of an alien version. Will look into it.

It's not really an RPG as such, but it's still a great roguelike twin stick.

I often wondered why no one has ever made a twin stick ARPG, like Diablo and PoE, but with guns.

I know right??? I was playing Wasteland 2 and I was like, man, I would like to play a game like this with real time twin stick shooter combat.

Already beaten it....................twice

OP, you could try Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light and Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris.
Maybe more puzzle-shooter than GDR.

For Guardian of Light there is a demo on Steam.

Tried that a long time ago, not what im looking for tho.

Killsquad just launched in Early Access, so it doesn't currently seem to have a lot of content, but it definitely has my attention based off gameplay. I hope it continues to get fleshed out!

store.steampowered.com

Killsquad on Steam

Hack and slash? Check. Twin-stick-shooter? Check. 4 player coop to slay hordes of aliens & bosses with your friends? Check. Skills, upgrades, weapons, gears, talismans and more to make you stronger? Check. Wake up, bounty hunter. We have a mission for you. Time to clean up the scum of the galaxy.

I like what im seeing here. THis looks really good. Will keep an eye out for this one once it releases. I dont do the early access thing.
Too Human is the most obvious answer. If you have an Xbox One, there's no reason not to give it a try, it's entirely free.

Pick a ranged class (primarily Commando), and that's exactly what Too Human becomes.

Ima have to pass on that one, I dont have an xbox. And altho I dont remember it too well, I do remember having a very negative experience with it for xbox360

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
Armada for Dreamcast ticked this box pretty well. I guess Dreamcast didn't have dual sticks, but it's Diablo meets Astroids approach was pretty novel for the time. Bummed we never got the planned sequel.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Alienation is way, way better than Dead Nation. The only shitty thing is that it wasn't a hit, so it didn't have a ton of content added to it.

As far as a proper RPG with twin stick combat I don't know of any and its something I would love to exist.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Armada for Dreamcast ticked this box pretty well. I guess Dreamcast didn't have dual sticks, but it's Diablo meets Astroids approach was pretty novel for the time. Bummed we never got the planned sequel.

Wasn't Fusion: Genesis kinda similar (I haven't played Armada and only the demo of F:G)?

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Isn't Seven: Days Long Gone a twin-stick RPG? There's a demo for PC, though.

On PS4, I recommend Alienation. Great game and it's too bad it wasn't release on PC.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Gauntlet Dark Legacy had a twin stick option, didn't it?
I never used it because the classic scheme from Legends was in my muscle memory, but I'm sure it was there.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is pretty close to that kind of thing, not quite twin stick.

Interesting take on the formula, I seem to remember there was a similar style game on the x360 years ago, arpg style mission structure, ship based twin stick content, but not (as much) loot based.

Edit, lol, someone posted it while I was writing my reply, it was fusion genesis.

An isometric arpg near future game, heavily loot based, with current and future tech would be right up my street, there was something I played recently that was close, but it was more small(er) level based, almost arcade based, can't remember the name.

Edit2 : livelock.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I believe you can map Victor Vran's combat onto the right analog stick on PS4 so it plays similarly to a twin-stick game.

foxdvd

Oct 30, 2017
Ruiner is a great game I picked up the last time it was on sale, and would HIGHLY recommend. It has RPG elements and I think will scratch that itch you have.

sofakng

Feb 28, 2019
I'm hesitant to ask this because I don't want to derail the topic, but are there any good SHMUPS with RPG elements? (i.e. upgrades; I don't care much about a story in a SHMUP)

These games seem somewhat similar to a twin sticker shooter RPG... maybe?

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Monolith is basically meant to be a more refined Binding of Isaac.

I'm hesitant to ask this because I don't want to derail the topic, but are there any good SHMUPS with RPG elements? (i.e. upgrades; I don't care much about a story in a SHMUP)

These games seem somewhat similar to a twin sticker shooter RPG... maybe?

The last one doesn't have much variety to its loot though.

OP
OP
Dre G Writer

Dre G Writer

Jan 5, 2018
I didnt know we had steam integration on the site. I will check those games out, see if they are what im looking for. Damn, cant believe this format of game hasnt been done in large scale yet.

Oct 26, 2017
Another vote for Alienation here. Even by Housemarque's standards it's underrated. Think of it as a more arcadey Diablo with only ranged classes. The loot system's pretty simple but I think it works to its advantage as it's easier to spot a clear upgrade to your current weapons.
Also the fact you disassemble unwanted loot into materials which lets you reroll the stats on current weapons meant no useless loot and it cuts out the shopping aspect, no money that inevitable becomes pointless.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for ther bump, but looking for opinions on Killsquad and Martyr since they're on sale right now and have both been getting updates.